Why do I feel worse after crying?

Tanyia Hughes, Adv Dip Psy

Psychotherapist

I have been through a lot in life too, which helps me to be able to empathize with situations, thoughts and feelings that we have. Sometimes, it's not easy just being human.

Anonymous
It's because the problem is still here. It wont go away till its fixed hon. But its like that for everyone that have problems even me.
DragonWrites50
January 31st, 2018 3:55pm
For me, it depends on the reason why I'm crying. Sometimes, I feel that crying makes me feel better. It's a release of emotions that we are trained to keep in. I think that crying in some cases is extremely beneficial, because one notices that when one holds back tears, their bodies have a reaction that can be painful, such as tightening of the throat and tensing of the body. I think that we are hurting ourselves many times when we refuse to let ourselves cry. Sometimes, however, we feel that it isn't the time or place to cry, and so we have to hold back our tears...right? The stigma of being too emotional damages our ability to express our emotions healthily and properly. There are times, however, when crying does make me feel worse. Those are the cases, I feel, when the tears are just a lashing out due to holding in my emotions for too long, and so they are essentially wasted, because they are tears of frustration or anger, not tears expressing the true emotion that they were meant to express originally. Could be fear and anger then too, but being held back for so long, they are just an overflowing of all the emotions I've held inside. I think it comes from learning how to have a healthy relationship with one's emotions that determines if you feel better after crying or worse.
snugglyButterfly37
It depends on what you are crying for. When you cry all the pain and stress you have is lowered so after crying you have overcomed some of your stress.
Anonymous
Crying is an intense emotional experience that takes a lot from us. It also brings many things to the surface that we may not have been paying attention to before. Many things can lead up to the moment when we finally cry, but often it is a build up to overwhelming emotions. When we cry we are fully experiencing our grief, sadness, frustration, and other feelings. We can't simply put those feelings back into a box and forget about them. Before crying, maybe it was easier to ignore the strong feelings. After crying, we are far too aware of how we really feel. Look at what you feel after crying, and think about why you might feel those things. It may give you clues to what you need to do next to find some peace.
HeartKnocksCounselling
Because crying takes a lot of physical energy from us. Crying is also often associated with negative connotations as being 'weak' or 'helpless'. Sometimes, after the cathatric release of tears, we may be faced with the reality in front of us again and feel worse than before.
Anonymous
You generally feel worse before you start to feel better. Crying releases hormones and can be exhausting.
awesomeVision52
A lack of emotional insight may restrict the mind's ability to transform an upsetting moment into something positive
Anonymous
Sometimes crying helps you to get it out of your system. Sometimes it may not and you will feel worse afterwards. That is completely reasonable but if it persists, you should talk to someone about how you feel and what makes you cry. Or try to do something you enjoy directly after you cry, this may help
ClareBlissfulSoul22
This could be your attitudes around showing emotions. I used to think it was a weakness to cry and I would get angry and hide my face in shame if I cried. Later I learned this belief around showing emotions especially emotions like crying, sadness, anger was not welcomed by my mother so she would say stop, shut up, look at the state of you, you are a mess, you need help etc and I had unconsciously taken on these negative beliefs. When I accepted that emotions are not negative they are to be embraced. I started to enjoy having a good cry. Start gentle letting yourself cry at a movie. Listen to a piece of music that moves you to tears and see how crying is a form of expression from the inner parts of you. Embrace it as you would embrace a small child. Be gentle with yourself. You deserve it.
Catlover456
After I cry, i feel worse too. For me its because crying makes me even more sad, it pulls me into more sadness. It may be different for you though.
ingeniousFriend59
we still feel worse bad after crying if the reason or the cause which made us cry is still same and its affecting us.. crying helps us a lot in relieving our emotions and it makes us feel lighter.. but if the the person causing or the activity that is causing the pain is still with us then we want to keep crying as we dont find anything working for us... crying release all our emotions at a time and our head feel lighter so we should not keep thinking about our problems later and try to focus on the positive and effective works.
Anonymous
For many people, crying is a release for pent-up emotions, a catharsis. However, if you feel like your underlying issues are unresolved, crying may not have the same emotional effect. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with you! Our issues are often complex and need time to fix.
Anonymous
Because after you're crying you let out all of your emotions and of course you let your guard down every time you cry, that means you're in the most vulnerable state of yourself when you cry... And crying drain your energy
RiverOfDreams
Crying takes a lot of energy. It's a release of endorphins which tries to bring you back up, but you may still feel the root of the issue is still unresolved or building up. Try to find out's going or change areas if you feel like you're experiencing an issue for more than 10 minutes. It might just mean you're not ready or able to deal with it right now and shouldn't push the issue with yourself.
Anonymous
You just tired you body out. It is a natural reaction to a strong emotions. You may feel worse because you may feel like you are showing weakness, which isn't true at all. It is better to let your etomtions out then to let them bottle up and mess with your life.
RumpleSteeleSkin
Sometimes you feel worse after crying cause it drains you. All your negative emotions come piling out, and you cry more and longer and more intense. Crying is not a bad thing-honest. Crying allows your body to dump a lot of bad emotions in us. Hugs
quietday01
If you've just had a long, hard cry, you may be feeling a bit dehydrated and pretty exhausted. Crying is a completely normal way to express any emotions you may be feeling, but make sure to take some time afterwards to drink some water and wind down in order to take care of your body. :)
Anonymous
Sometimes crying can actually let more emotions out that you realised, it’s good to cry but if you find it hard then pick certain times to cry, maybe at home in the evenings
phosphenerelief
Often because you are seeing the action of crying as a negative thing, or a sign of weakness. Or alternatively entering the action of crying thinking it must definitely make you feel better; thus putting pressure on it rather than letting it be a therapeutic process. Instead allow crying to happen naturally, don't force it but don't avoid it either. Allowing ourselves to feel and let our emotions happen naturally is the healthiest thing we can do, and accepting them is the imperative. It is all about balance - supressing is unhealthy but so is pressuring. You are doing great my love, just be you.
magnanimousWinter46
I feel worse after crying because I got to a level of vulnerability that makes me feel weak. People associate tears and emotions with weakness. No one likes to be vulnerable because then you are enabling yourself to be judged, the point of needing advice or a hug or being forced to need something that someone else is giving and that alone feels worse than crying. Maybe overreacting to the point of tears. You let “it” get to you. There’s a million reasons why people feel worse after crying. Judgement, fear and weakness are my 3 biggest at the moment.
Anonymous
The reason could be as simple as dehydration and fatigue. Make sure you drink a lot of water after a good crying session. A power nap might help too. Crying is therapeutic! It is the body's way of handling emotional stress, so don't hold back those tears! This is from WebMD: Research is backing up that theory. Studies of the various kinds of tears have found that emotional tears contain higher levels of stress hormones than do basal (aka lubricating) or reflex tears (the ones that form when you get something in your eye). Emotional tears also contain more mood-regulating manganese than the other types. Stress "tightens muscles and heightens tension, so when you cry you release some of that," Sideroff says. "[Crying] activates the parasympathetic nervous system and restores the body to a state of balance."
Stayblessedforever
Well, i find this question a little tricky. There are both sides to crying. In most scenarios, Crying had actually made me feel better if it was a deeply hurtful situation. It is sort of the only defense mechanism i possess. Moreover if i had cried around people who trust me, it doesn't make me feel awkward. However crying in front of less known person, sometimes can leave a lot of embarrassment behind. In fact, It would be totally embarrassing to face that person altogether. Apart from that aftermath of crying also includes headache and sore eyes 😋
courageousJoy96
I (male) often feel worse after crying due to the fact that there is such a cultural pressure for me to man up and not show my emotions and so in the event that I do even to myself quietly I feel an innate sense of wrongness with this and it makes me feel much worse for being a bad man when we're meant to be stoic, and emotionless, never afraid. The thing is though that just isn't me and sometimes I struggle with accepting that. Mileage for obvious reasons varies with everyone but that is my personal experience and how I describe this phenomenon
Anonymous
Because tears are so valuable to people I think and tough things only could make people cry so it's really so emotional and so deep, I guess it's normal to feel bad after crying and not just get off with it or say that things will be okay and you have to move forward, I believe happiness is highly reached and there is a lot of things that could possibly make you feel broken and that is my personal view about it for example if you worked hard to get something and you were step away and then it all came down you would definitely feel bad.
livelovedream
I don't know the science behind crying, but I find that when I cry sometimes the tears bring up other issues that I might need to cry over that I didn't even realize. If that is the same situation for you, perhaps you are dealing with new issues that have come up. If so, be patient and gentle with yourself and let yourself feel those feels. Maybe you need support after a cry..... I tend to text a friend that I trust or call my girlfriend if I am far away. Maybe its a sign that theres something deeper and you need to talk to a professional..... or Maybe you just need chocolate or nice music or a funny tv show. Whatever it is be gentle and listen to what you need
Anonymous
In my experience, I'd feel terrible after crying when I dread how the situation at hand hasn't solved itself. If I was crying out of missing someone, or over a situation that has already happened and cannot be changed, I would usually feel better since the crying felt more like the closing scene to the problem - a mere act of releasing my pent up sadness or frustration about the past. But if it's about stress or some problem that is still manifesting, then I'd usually feel horrible because even after letting out my emotions, my first unanswerable thought would be, "what now?" Usually in these cases, self-care plays an enormous role in lifting my spirits. I'd take another bath and use really nice smelling soap, change into comfier clothes, make myself a cup of tea, put some slow gentle music. It's these small things that act as a routine to show how you respect yourself, and ultimately when you do things that comfort you, it's hard not to feel better. A lot of times though, the best cure is still to talk to someone you trust. In these cases, I usually seek out for my mother. :) Wishing you all the love. Do take care.
Anonymous
Sometimes, we bottle up our emotions and what's going on inside of our head and put them at the back of our head to avoid it. But when we finally cry and let it all out, we feel worse as those emotions and feelings are no longer at the back of our head and they are out in the open and you can no longer put them at the back of your head and avoid them, which sometimes makes us feel worse than we did before we cried. This usually happens when you are a type of person that avoids confronting feelings.
Anonymous
Sometimes you can feel worse after crying, because it makes you realize, how hard a situation is or was. We often block things out and when we feel them, we confront ourselves with their reality. But feeling these things and think about them is a very important part of feeling better and processing everything. It gives us the opportunity to feel what we really feel and see, what it is really like. It is a situation where we do not hide behind anything. In my eyes situations where anybody, or myself cries are very "pure" and important!
OceanRest
I can think of two possible reasons. The one is that I think people sometimes try to keep things together and just cope and don't admit to themselves how bad they are feeling or give themselves a chance to relax and give in to their feelings. So once you do that and start crying, it's like you open that door and you allow yourself to feel and experience your feelings. Then afterwards, that door will not close immediately. There will be a time of feeling vulnerable and emotional and that is normal. The second reason is that crying can be a very intense experience for the body. It's both emotionally and physically exhausting to go through it. So part of the feeling bad afterwards might be because you are very tired and rightly so. The best thing to do is to pay extra attention to self care. Make yourself safe, create a safe space for yourself and surround yourself with comforting things until you find your feet again. Crying is a brave thing to do. Even if it's also hard. Don't let that stop you. And remember to be good to yourself afterwards.
sereneMoon86
Hmm. It may be because crying has opened the gate to other, deeper feelings of sadness. Or, it may be because you are rejecting the reality you are experiencing and wishing those feelings would go away. Do either of these sound possible? If so, I would practice leaning into those heavy, hard feelings. It’s the worst thing in the world, I know, but if you can continually let some of those heavy feelings out... you will, in time, feel some relief. It may also help to talk to your inner child. For me, I know that I need to talk to my inner child when I’m feeling extremely emotional and unable to control my feelings. I sit down and I close my eyes and I try to talk to her. I say things like, “What do you need to tell me?” “What do you need me to know?” “How are you feeling?” “What do you want?” And then I wait for an answer. It sounds crazy, but it works. There is always an answer. And then I talk to her like I would a friend. I tell her things like, “That totally makes sense.” “I understand why you feel that way. I feel that way too.” “I’m here for you and we’re going to figure this out together.” If you haven’t done this before, it’s worth a try. It will feel awkward and strange, but you’ll be amazed by what she or he will tell you