Why do I sometimes enjoy feeling sad?

Lauren Abasheva, LMHC

A sex positive, and kink knowledgeable therapist with an open mindset and a clear understanding that we are all different.

Anonymous
Because you let it control yourself . You can distract yourself from that by go out and make friends with lot of new people or do any activities that you like to prevent you being alone and start thinking negative that make you feel sad
AntidoteTowardsTheDark
If you are used to feeling sad all the time, it's something that is familiar and as such, comfortable. Or at least, that's what I think happens to me when I "enjoy feeling sad". (Although as a side note, I have read an article talking about how negative emotions can trigger chemical responses in your brain that creates a sense of pleasure. Don't take my word for it though, I'm not an expert.)
Anonymous
Sometimes feeling sad helps me more than being mechanically happy. When I feel sad, I feel like a true part inside of me is asking for attention in order to have a more comprehensive, genuine and even happier picture of my life/ or situation at that exact moment when I feel sad...After all being sad enables us to aknowledge the good and happy moments too, which happen when we are not that much sad :)
Anonymous
It is ok to feel sad and in fact it is part of life which everyone goes through. If you enjoy feeling sad it can be your brain telling your self it is ok to be sad therefore making you feel more calm and happy that you have acknowledged how you are feeling
genuineDaisy
Sadness is a necessary and important emotion, and sometimes we need it to help us express our feelings. If you have not been sad or open to the way you truly feel, sometimes it is a relief to really feel things.
Anonymous
It's nice to get in touch and be aware of all emotions, even the ones some people don't want to explore. Being sad is a totally normal emotion and should not be pushed away. I personally feel that when I explore sadness, it makes me realize how grateful I am with my life and my personal journey to better myself and help to empathize with others easier. But if the sadness gets to a dark place and you think it is leading you to a place of self infliction, please be aware and contact a professional for help.
Sunflower0606
Have you ever heard the phrase: "its better to feel something than nothing at all"? I find it to be very true. Even if we're feeling down, it can be refreshing to be in touch with our emotions.
GavinT
Feeling sad isn't always a bad thing! In fact, sometimes being sad or even crying allows us to be introspective and thoughtful in a way that we may not normally be while happy or neutral. Moments of sadness also help us to appreciate the good things that we have in our life.
Rakune
Sometimes, we like to embrace sadness. It gives us an excuse to be away from people, away from everyone. We get to cry and be honest about what we feel. We don't want to stop feeling this way because if we do, we won't have that "excuse" anymore. Also, this is part of depression and the lack of motivation one may feel.
ListeningForHope
April 2nd, 2017 3:27am
Sometimes feeling sad can feel comfortable to people who have felt sad for a very long time. If you've become accustomed to feeling sad it can feel like an emotion you can depend on. As in, "no matter how happy I can get sometimes, I know that I'll always be sad." It's a toxic way of thinking because you trust yourself to feeling sad and it feels like a rollercoaster if you ever end up happy. But you have to remember that your thoughts and actions have consequences and if you keep thinking this way then you'll only end up feeling sad in the end. I say take the "leap" to work on becoming happy, because yes, it's going to be hard and it's going to feel like a rollercoaster but you can also become accustomed to feeling happy. I believe in you and I know that you'll be truly happy once you work on it.
Islah
Sometimes feeling sad feels comfortable. It's what we know. We're comfortable with what we know. Feeling sad sometimes feels like we aren't lying to ourselves for once. In reality, there is no truth or lie in either depression or happiness. They simply just are. There are plenty of reasons why people sometimes enjoy feeling sad.
YourFriendforever
Actually I personally feel that feeling sad is someway really common.. Is okay to feel sad , we cant be happy always.. Well enjoying sadness is a bit difficult to explain, You need to understand that sometimes we do need to vent out our feelings, our emotions even if its sadness.. :)
Anonymous
When we've been sad for too long, sadness becomes a comfortable place for us. We get used to it and we're scared to get out of it. We are afraid of the unknown and since we've kept wandering around sadness' place, we are afraid of going any further. Everybody is afraid of the unknown. You also might feel that you deserve this sadness, but it's not like that. Everybody deserves smiles and happiness.
TessMo
For me, it's the only emotion I can feel without being ashamed of it. I can't feel love, fall in it, or accept it because it makes me feel so uncomfortable. Like I'm not allowed to feel that way. And it's like this with all the other emotions. Plus, I think it's because I have time to grieve over my issues.
Sunkitty
Sometimes feeling sad is better than feeling nothing at all. It's okay to feel sad sometimes, and maybe the reason why you enjoy it is because it fills in a void you have. Letting out emotions and tears is good for you to make room for feelings of happiness and love.
Anonymous
Being sad may feel "normal" if you've dealt with it for awhile. Often, you don't want to allow your self to be happy or feel any emotion because it's out of your comfort zone.
CompassionVigilante
Negative emotions are sometimes addictive, and feeling sad is often used as a coping mechanism. Hanging on to negative emotions prevents personal positive growth but is easier on the brain that self development.
Anonymous
Sometimes when we've been feeling down for a while, its easy to feel like that's the norm. It becomes comfortable and routine. And when we finally get to the point where we want to make a change, it feels too much like leaping out of our comfort zones and the sadness that we've become accustomed to. And sometimes we enjoy feeling sad because it means feeling something, at the very least. But it's important to slowly but surely reintroduce positive emotions because we are all worthy of a life that we can feel happy and content with.
Anonymous
Feelings sad is normal for some situations and time. Have feelings is wonderful things that human have not only sad, but any emotions.
Sweetdreams22
sometimes for me feeling sad is knowing I'm real. I'm faking any emotions. sadness is real and you'' feel it to the core. it helps me move on and learn more about myself in what I'm feeling. I get to better myself and connect,
Ava1122
Something I struggled with too! What I've found is that we often become comfortable feeling sad. Perhaps being that way led to having friends talk to you more frequently, asking if you're ok. Or you've grown to be comfortable in that sad state. Or you dont' know how to move out of being sad. There's a number of reasons. I think we enjoy what sadness can sometimes bring, which is sympathy and comfort from other people. The only problem with that is that we associate that comfort with being sad, so we sometimes try to remain sad in order to continue being in that company.
soothingWave1227
I think that when we get to the point where we feel sad, we want some sort of attention, whether it be from a specific person or just period. Sometimes the want, or need in some cases, for attention can get in the way of our happiness, making us upset to the point where we can't be happy until we have that desired attention.
TheAmericanRealist
I can't answer this for anybody else, but I can say as far as myself I enjoy being sad sometimes even if it's not the best emotion simply because feeling sad is better than nothing at all to me. It makes me feel alive even during the times I'd rather not be alive.
Anonymous
Feeling sad is not necessarily a bad thing. Some of the greatest works of art, music, and poetry were written when the artist was at a low point. Gaining the ability to experience our emotions in a healthy way is an important step on our journey. If you find yourself unable to stop feeling sad, then it's time to reach out to someone who can listen to what you're feeling and help you. Remember, all emotions can help us to grow - even the sad ones.
Myra22
Because without feeling sad, you cannot feel happy. Its the balance of life. We have to feel everything to deal with everything.
Anonymous
December 22nd, 2017 11:17pm
Being sad is almost like a turn off for most people. Sometimes certain people try and be happy all the time and it can get exhausting, so when they have the blues they can finally turn off. It’s like a release. It’s a moment to yourself to literally tune out the ugly world and instead fill it with beautiful melodies.
Anonymous
Βecause being sad is a part of you that means you are human.It's not a bad thing so it's more than okay if you enjoy it.
Anonymous
If we have been sad long enough we can begin to equate sadness with normality. Furthermore, if we have been feeling numb or emotionally cut off for a long time, even sadness becomes pleasurable to some degree because at least you are feeling something.
Anonymous
There's something romantic about being sad, as we're often told, some kind of beauty that lies in feeling upset. But that's a shallow reason to give you. Sometimes I feel sad because I feel like I haven't been sad in a while. Funny, right? Some others I know enjoy feeling sad because it reminds them that they're human, capable of emotions. I used to take antidepressants which would make me emotionally numb. And then I would start fights with my loved ones so that I could feel at least anger or pain. There are many reasons you enjoy feeling sad. Bottom line is, it's a part of healing, some people actually find joy in pain. Whether it is or isn't healthy for you, that is upto you or your therapist or helper to decide.
CoughSirupdrinkingDuckling
Sometimes its good to not just bottle up your feelings and be sad for some time. "It's okay, not to be okay.. but it's not okay to stay that way"