Why do I sometimes enjoy feeling sad?

Lauren Abasheva, LMHC

A sex positive, and kink knowledgeable therapist with an open mindset and a clear understanding that we are all different.

Anonymous
February 3rd, 2018 1:50pm
Sometimes we have felt sad for so long that it feels comfortable and we are used to it. So it actually isn't scary anymore or uncomfortable.
Anonymous
It definitely feels good to release some of that emotional stress. Feeling sad is a way to release it. The pain in the chest that you feel when you feel sad, that pang, feeling physically limp or unable, it feels great in the long run since you're basically releasing what could have been pent up. It's healthy to feel sad.
Anonymous
Sometimes we get so sad, so much, that we come to "enjoy" it. We just get used to the feelings. But, once we start feeling happy, that will change. :)
Brittany8013
Sometimes feeling something, even sadness, is better than feeling nothing. Johnny Cash wrote a song about this. "I hurt myself today, just to see if i still feel." Its healthy to enjoy an emotion, even sadness, it means you are comfortable with your emotions.
Anonymous
March 2nd, 2018 4:19am
I like to think of sadness as the counterpart to happiness. If all we ever felt was happiness, then it would be meaningless. Sadness is a natural emotion and sometimes people enjoy it because on the inside they know they aren't happy people. A little sadness here and there is fine and it often feels therapeutic, but make sure not to let yourself become enveloped in it.
Anonymous
I think it's quite healthy to connect with our emotions every now and then; they remind us that we're human. Sadness can help put us in an optimistic state of mind where solutions/answers to our questions become more easily attainable.
RoseRachel
Everyone experiences being sad in their lifetime. Sometimes being sad is familiar, it feels normal and we enjoy feeling sad due to it being so familiar to us if that makes sense.
Anonymous
When we feel sad, we feel desperation for something and desperation for that "something" makes us feel good.
Anonymous
The feeling of Sadness could never be enjoyed. However one can appreciate the taste of goodness of life only if they have a taste of Sadness in life.
Anonymous
To come to accepting what is making me feel down, so I can work on a solution to prevent the reason for the sadness to reoccur.
AtticusJosiah
Sometimes, we go numb and we would rather feel pain than nothing at all. Additionally feeling sad allows us to build up, to have something better. This can become addicting, however, so we must be careful not to get sucked in.
EspritDuKaren68
It might be because you are being real. The more real you are, the more connection you make with your Soul. I am proud of you for allowing yourself to feel the sadness as opposed to suppressing it.
Mariaaa00
Sadness is a natural feeling that we all must experience in our lives. If we do not have sadness, we cannot completely understand that amazing thing that is happiness. So overall, it is healthy to be content with having a moment of sadness, just to get it all out.
Emziistorm
Colouring in or doing art in general if not then I like to go out and cycle it clears my head and creativity helps the mind as well as cycling helps the creativity
Anonymous
Being sad is a way of releasing your emotions. It's a time of letting go and reflecting which makes you feel good.. sometimes
Anonymous
Cause we all need sometimes to be sad, sadness isn’t bad it gets bad when it is constant, sadness help us to stop a little and to see what we have done
JustWantToListen
Sadness can become a comfort zone. It becomes a place we know and is easy to stay there. We sometimes use sadness as an excuse to do things that hurt ourselves as well as others. To leave the sadness behind we need to actively want to leave it behind. It is difficult, it requires a lot of energy and attention, sometimes it needs help from a specialist. We are so used to being sad that we prefer to stay there than try new things that we are not used to and require more energy than we are willing to give.
artsymelody8
It is comforting to feel sad because sometimes it is easier than feeling happy. Of course, it is normal to feel sad but when we let that build and find other reasons to be sad, it is hard to stop feeling that way. Having fun things to look forward to can help to get rid of those bad feelings even when if we don't want them to leave
luminousSky96
So you know what it feels like when you feel joy! Without the different emotions life would be monotone. It's learning to notice emotions, acknowledge them and then let them pass that's important.
plantbudd
There is no one answer to the way we react to things, but sometimes we find joy in things that are common and comfortable.
Anonymous
Sometimes feeling sad helps me to explore what is going on. I can take my sadness and look at what I need to work on so I won't be sad. It's so easy to dwell on my sadness, but I choose to take it and work it for the better in my life. And sometimes I am too tired, so I let sadness sit for a little bit. In the end, it is up to me on how I'm going to deal with it. Do I let it take over, or do I take action by addressing the things making me sad, and reaching out to the resources that can help me.
plushLily14
Maybe it is better to let that feeling allow the person to know that it is there, these feelings are natural that something is wrong. Listening to it and sympathising can be the best remedy than pushing it away and hiding it under the carpet so to speak. or it is an “addiction” to unhappiness. Deep-rooted insecurity or lack of self-esteem may cause some people to feel undeserving of happiness. People who grew up with a parenting style characterized by excessive discipline and unrealistic expectations may have learned to equate unhappiness with love and success. Lifelong struggles with trauma or other negative experiences may fuel an unconscious desire to continually return to the status quo of unhappiness. Some people who seem comfortable in their misery actually may be suffering from an underlying mental health disorder. Some people pride themselves on realism, believing that being practical or realistic also means focusing on the negative.
mandalamayhem
I used to spend so much energy keeping myself from feeling any negative emotions, especially sadness or anxiety. I decided to start focusing on mindfulness and sitting with painful emotions. Now, I can truly say that I enjoy feeling sad when it comes. This is because I want to honor all of my emotions. When I push away something I'm afraid to feel, I am not being true to myself and I end up feeling worse. When I accept it and treat it with care and nurturing, I really start to get to know myself and feel stronger and better for it.
lovelyMoon51
Feeling sad can often be painful. However, it is important to allow ourselves to feel sad rather than to attempt to ignore these emotions. If we ignore our emotions they may build up and we are unable to deal with them effectively. Many times we put too much pressure on ourselves to always feel happy. This is unrealistic and it is okay to feel sad sometimes. Sometimes allowing ourselves to feel sad helps us to understand and accept the feeling which is the first step towards finding peace. In this instance, I sometimes like to feel sad as it is freeing and accepting the feeling encourages me to seek out positive solutions such as discussing this feeling with a friend or family member.
ComfortableSmiles97
Enjoying feeling sad doesn't necessarily mean you are inviting the experience, but once you are feeling it, it kind of validates what you are going through. Sometimes you might just want to sit with that feeling sad for a while instead of hearing people continuously telling you things like "It's not so bad" "people have it worse", etc. Your feelings are worthy of being acknowledged. Do you want to hang on to this feeling of sadness? Most likely not, but it is still better than numbing your feelings. That is another thing-if you often feel numb to your emotions, you may enjoy feeling them when you can, for a change. Anything to not feel numb.
javachip953
I know I enjoy being sad because if anything, I honestly feel like it pulls me back to reality. I'm not sure why, or if it's only me, but when I'm happy for long periods of time, I feel selfish and guilty for feeling like this. Other people are suffering and here I am oh so filled with joy, but every time I'm sad, I think more about the people that don't have anything in their lives, that have trouble finding happiness. I don't know where I was going with this, but I know I'm not the only one who thinks like this, I hope.
ambivertpurple93
It reminds me that life isn't all about "good" feelings, being full of joy, gleefull and the happily ever after or seeing everything through rose-colored glasses, the or perfect romance like for example Disney suggests. Feeling sad isn't bad, there isn't such a thing as "bad" emotions. Feeling sad is a an higly emotional state. And like tears of joy, it's something starting in your brain which influences your mind as well as your body and vice versa. If I'm feeling sad, first of all I am feeling _something_, I am alive and able to feel, to think and to reach out. Sometimes being sad can be a good thing, a reminder of being alive with all it's ups and downs and being able to feel all the emotions.
sweetWriting46
Sometimes being sad make us realise the truth of life. The wrong decisions we take make us realise like where and when went wrong in life. A good chance to correct ourselves. The sadness let us know our mistakes which we have done in our life.
Anonymous
September 22nd, 2019 12:15am
It’s what I would call a “racket” — a way to simulate feeling alive, without actually taking on any more risk or responsibility. There’s this sense that “being alive” is about being emotional and feeling things deeply, and that’s the whole story. So if your normal way of being is kind of lifeless and scared, withdrawn or dull, then any kind of strong emotion is a sort of jolt of aliveness, yes? You feel something, even if it’s sadness. At least you’re not a stone. But the real issue is that you don’t want to be at risk and take responsibility for your life, so you “play it small”. Within your safe little shell, it just isn’t possible to experience life on a scale that would be emotionally rich and fulfilling — that would require you to grow. So this crying alone is a kind of narcotic that provides the illusion of being alive, without all of the messy need to leave your comfy shell.
Roshdi
Welcome to our site. Before you go on, we want to tell you that we get the blues too and they suck. But as much as they suck, they can be great teachers and trust me, once we get through them, we’ll be stronger. A few (hopeful) words about depression Experiencing depression is a little like finding ourselves in a hole. If the hole is shallow enough, we may be able to climb out by ourselves. We might need a few climbing skills. We call these skills the 7 Habits of Happy People. You can track your progress by taking the Skills-based Happiness Quiz. If the hole is too deep and we don't have the confidence to climb out by ourselves, we may need a ladder (ie pharmaceuticals prescribed by a doctor) and/or we may need someone to climb down and try to pull us out (ie talking with a qualified specialist about the problem). Nevertheless, there’s always an exit route. The only question is, how do you want to get there. The great news is that we are finding more and more ways to soften or blunt depression and anxiety. For example, regular exercise (it takes a few weeks to work), especially in natural surroundings, works very well for some people. Sharing your feelings with a friend (face to face is way better than texting) can work wonders. And scientists have recently discovered that some probiotic bacteria, which live in your gut but are now endangered species thanks to junk food, may have an antidepressant effect, but it is still early days. Ask your doctor about taking probiotics which contain L. Rhamnosus and B. Longum. About the test This depression test is called the PHQ-9. The PHQ-9 is one of the most commonly used depression screening tools in the world. It is used by clinicians and researchers for individual assessment and large-scale reports, including census reports conducted by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The science behind the test This depression test is based on nine symptoms described in the DSM-IV, the standard diagnostic manual for mental health disorders developed by the American Psychiatric Association (APA). The PHQ-9 has been found to be a valid and reliable measure of depression. The PHQ-9 was authored by Pfizer Inc. Before you take the test Don't be discouraged by a low score. You can change it! Remember, we are still alive and the great thing about being alive is we can take responsibility and change our lives. Before you begin, we would like to ask you a favor. Take a deep breath…. Gather your resolve… When you’re done, please say, or write down the following sentence. It doesn’t have to be word by word, but try to feel and internalize the following. We’ll tell you why 😉 I want to be happy and I will make myself happy. I may not be happy now, but starting from now, I will learn to live a happier life. If you can internalize and feel it, congratulations! You have really taken the first step towards self-improvement. Research has shown that when people write down or say out loud a promise to themselves, they are more likely to commit to it, so let’s continue the path to happiness.