How do I tell my boss I'm leaving? (nicely)?

Cassandra Coleman-Heppler, LCSW, LICSW

I believe that problems are separate from the person having them and that our own stories and how we look at our own stories directly influences how we perceive those problems

hopefulRainbows30
It will be really best and respectful for you to tell your boss personally that you are leaving and schedule this meeting with sufficient time (personally, i think a month) for you to properly finish all your duties, to turnover everything and to allow your boss to find a replacement for you or at least make necessary adjustments. It will also be formal and proper if you have prepare a letter and give it to him/her when the two of you talk. When stating your reason, I think you have to be honest and concise. You don't have to explain everything but you have to explain the main points. Also, assure your boss that you will properly transition your work.
LiveLifeOnCadence
You need to be up front and straight about it as to not ruin the relationship between former employer and employee for resume purposes. Tell your boss that this job has been a good experience but it's either not right for you or you're trying to take a new path in your career
trashcat
You are probably have some reasons for that, try to make him understand them. You can also say that you sorry for leaving.
Anonymous
Be honest and tell your boss up front that you are leaving. Tell your boss why and express appreciation for the past training experiences and work relationships.
lovingLynx89
Thank him for the opportunity to work with him. Let him know you are pursuing a different line of work.
peachicus
Sometimes its often better to put what you want to say down on paper as it allows you to clear write about how you feel and explain your reasons without feeling so anxious as you would doing it in person. It also allows the reader time to think about what you've written. I'm sure they won't be offended as leaving a job and getting another is part of working life.
quietShip8395
Just be as professional as possible, giving enough notice and being mature on explaining your reasons. One thing I find very important is to be sure about your decision, because going back and forth does not look nice. Make sure that's what you want and be as professional and helpful as possible to not create a negative impact after you leave.
TigerLilly55
When I tell my boss I am leaving, I advise that I have been offered an opportunity to develop my career and I thank my boss for the opportunities provided in my time here. I wish the company the best for the future.
Anonymous
I'd say write up a polite letter and give them time to read it before you go and speak to them in person to give them your reasons.
SMLHappy
Congratulations on a new step in life! You know your relationship with your manager better than anyone. I think honesty is the best policy. Thank your boss for the opportunities that you have had, but let him or her know you have found other opportunities that are a better fit. Always leave on a positive note!
Anonymous
Be honest. Let them know the reason why in a professional manner. If you are feeling overwhelmed, write them a letter letting them know that you've got an opportunity for a better position but how thankful you are for them giving you the opportunity to be a part of their company as well.
MakikiSummer
As a business owner myself, I would prefer my employees to tell me up front as to why they are leaving. Your boss is not your friend and you don't have to worry about hurting his feelings. If you have a legitimate reason for leaving, then just say it. This way there will be no misunderstandings down the road and it also lets your boss know if there is something that needs improving. Sometimes they may ask you to stay with a better incentive if you give a honest reason.
JD821
Thank them for their opportunity and you appreciate them, but you are moving on to bigger and better things.
Imguraffe94
From my own experience, the best way is to come right out with it. Tell them how they have helped you grow as you have worked for them but that you now have a better opportunity to go forward with your life.
Vale46
Explain the reason to your boss. Emphasize the good things that you learned from that job and tell him/her that you appreciate them.
Anonymous
Give them a two week notice and tell them the reason that you are leaving don't lie to your boss just be open with Him/Her.
Zoelee
Tell him that you have found a position that is better suited to you, and thank him for the past opportunities the career there has given you.
Anonymous
Ask for a proper sit down meet, face to face. Begin on a warm, but moderate tone. Get to the point, but don't be too quick. Once done, get any relevant information needed, as well as paper work taken care of, and you may proceed.
Anonymous
It is courteous to give your boss two weeks notice that you are leaving a job. Write them a letter thanking them for employing you and state in that letter the date of your last working day. You can tell them when you give them the letter "This is my two weeks notice". Sometimes bosses will tell you that you don't need to finish out the two weeks and you can go ahead and quit that day or just not come back for your next shift.
uniquecreature41
Take the professional approach. This isn't about you or them personally, it's about your career and your opportunities elsewhere. Thank them for the chance to work in their department, even if you hated them to their bones and back! Don't get drawn into anything unprofessional and don't get emotional, this is about work and you'll no doubt be having that discussion in a place of work so act accordingly. But likewise, don't let them draw you into anything negative. Walk out on your last day with your head high, if you're leaving because of your boss then it won't be the only time someone's walked away from them!
RollingOcean10
There comes a time in everyone's career where they have to take the next step and leave their job. When talking to your boss tell them how much you appreciated their kindness, how much the job has helped you to grow as a person, and that it was an essential building block for when you go to your next job. A boss should always understand that not everyone will stay at one job forever.
Bonnie1
I would say it depends on how close you are to your boss. It's best to do it in person. I would suggest beginning by thanking him/her for his/her guidance over however long you've been there. Then, tell him that you've accepted a new position, and give him/her plenty of notice to find a replacement for you.
wonderfullEndfoftherainbow27
There's no single way to do it but I'm sure if anyone knew how to tell your boss it would be you. Possibly think of what you might want to hear if you were the boss. Ultimately, it's entirely up to you and I hope that your instincts help you to make the best decision for you. Best wishes.
Galina
Something like "I have really enjoyed my time with this company and am grateful for the opportunities I have enjoyed here and now I would like to make next step in my work life and take new opportunities, so it is time for me to leave with a regret as I will miss my colleagues... etc."
softNutella25
December 22nd, 2016 1:20am
Just be honest. You don't have to give more information than you're comfortable giving. Be professional, allow for a decent amount of notice and tell your boss. Employees come and go all of the time and no one is bound to stay somewhere where they are no longer challenged or when they find better/alternative opportunities. If you're concerned your employer won't understand that, it's really not because you have an issue, it's because the employer has an issue. A good employer knows that things change and they encourage employees who decide to move on to other things. Good luck!
BeyMyOncee
I was working in a job I absolutely loved but I received a better offer and a higher position job offer in another place. I told my boss as soon as I received the offer and explained that I loved working with him and all of my other colleagues along with loving doing the actual job however I wanted to progress and expand on my knowledge. I also told him that I would happily work my notice period and explained that i told him as soon as I found out as I didn't want to leave him short handed (so he had enough time to look for someone to replace me). He said he understood, wished me the best in the future and said he was sad that there wasn't any promotion spots for me with his company at the moment.
KNikolas
"Unfortunately, I do not feel I am good fit here. I want to thank you for the opportunity you gave me by giving me this job."
warmWaterfall22
Ask to meet with the boss, explain that you feel it is time to leave and explain what you will be doing next (new job, moving, going to school, taking some time to work on health issues). Thank them for the time spent in their employment. Do not unload issues at this point. If the boss asks if anything negative happened, answer honestly, but consider how much you share and why you're sharing it. It is important to not burn bridges and to come away on a positive note with a good reference...you will need it again in the future.
Anonymous
You could write him a letter saying that you quit and why. You could give him a call explaining that your leaving the job or if you feel confident enough, Just simply go up to him, ask to have a private chat with him, tell him that your quitting the job but the polite thing you could do is giving him the reason why, Just telling your boss that you quit without reasoning is kind of a slap in the face so it's really just best that you explain your reasoning.
Anonymous
I'm assuming by leaving, you mean quitting. A nice way to tell you boss that you are leaving depends largely on how your boss considers your resignation. I would definitely have this meeting outside the workplace, maybe over lunch in a restaurant. You could start by thanking him for his mentorship and support, and tell him how great it has been working with him and how much you have grown professionally and (maybe) as a person. You could then talk a bit about how you have found yourself seeking newer challenges, and that you think a new job will help you feel more satisfied and fulfilled. Always end with promising to keep in touch and do not burn bridges. On the other hand, if you do not have a good relationship, a formal setting with an HR personnel might be a better way to go about it.