Everything in my life is messed up. Motivation works temporarily and I'm not suicidal but feel it's pointless to live like this. What should I do to feel hopeful?

Rory Boutilier, Registered Professional Counsellor

I use a client-centered, solution-focused approach. Particular interests in: depression, anxiety, life stress, change, and self-injury.

rainbowslover
Think of what you like, okay? Like something you like to do when you're free and want to relax. Focus on this. you can do something, you're good at it and you can improve it day by day, it can become a huge satisfaction for yourself. It can be anything, just think of it. And be happy.
electricDreamer95
Change your mindset. Once your thoughts change, your whole outlook on life changes and your circumstances won't overwhelm you. You'll know to seek help in the right places, build effective coping skills and thrive :)
Supergirl94
Change. Change something in your life. If you don't like how your life is or like how you are living it then change it. Think about what aspects you don't like and what aspects you want to change :)
AskBeth
I have also felt this way before. You need people around you that understand, do any friends or family know about your feelings? If they do, tell them how you feel and that you need someone to back you up when you feel this way.. I could recommend many "proven" ways to make you feel better but everyone is different.
Chris2409
Focus on the times where motivation does work and see how you could make use of it in different situations.
Kaishi29
There are different types of Motivation- negative and positive, If one doesn't work try the other way. Indulge in the activities that truly interest you, no matter how stupid or taboo they might be. It's your life, you get to live it your way.
Someone357
You should tell someone you trust how you feel. Talking about what's going on can be very helpful. By doing that, you don't feel alone anymore and there is someone to encourage you.
bethestoryofyourlife
Try to search something you wanna live for. When I felt this way I talked about it with my best friend and slowly she helped me to feel more happy.
Anonymous
Self esteem is the best medicine. To boost your self - esteem the fastest way, help someone who cannot repay you back, otherwise just helping others is also very helpful in feeling happy. If you are rich you could donate some to the orphanage centers or old age homes
Anonymous
What motivate(s) you most? Always remember what boosts your energy. What are your interests and hobbies? Hobbies can be helpful in many cases. When I feel low, I usually listen to my favorite songs. It lifts my spirits. Listening to relaxing music helps, even if you aren't a fan of music. When you feel like you have no motivations in life, think about what is beautiful, who you like, or the how you could be useful.
chiotchae
Sometimes, it is hard to feel motivation, especially when you are at a state where you are going through a lot of struggles; however, you need to know that life is not easy, and obstacles will always be there. It's that power that you overcome them that makes you so much stronger. Once you overcome them, you become a stronger person than you were before, and learn so much more about life and ultimately yourself. Don't give up, and stay strong!
Anonymous
I create a montage of things that remind me that its important to keep going. Each picture reminds me of a special person in my life, each date something to look forward to and each item a memory. I keep this on my wall and look at it when I need reminding that I mean something.
brightJoy72
A lot of people have many issues every single day that make life seem hopeless. But I put my hand over my heart and I feel it ...I'm alive for a reason. We all are. There is much in life to celebrate every day! Someone once said we can all live as if nothing is a miracle or we can live as if everything is a miracle. I firmly believe in the power of faith and miracles ... Happiness is for everyone not just a handful!
bokchoi
This might not help, but i find that thinking about the vastness of the universe really puts things into perspective. Because, the universe is so big that it has so many places to explore and things to experience. There are so many wild and wonderful things that you could be doing, seeing, hearing.
Anonymous
Talk to someone when you are feeling hopeless. Sometimes talking helps us see why we feel drained and may guide us towards finding a new perspective and a new way of dealing with what brings us down.
AdmirableTree
Think of something that brings you joy and do things that move you closer to that. Complete the sentence "if I do x then I'll feel stable or better". It will take time, but being on the path alone and reminding yourself that you want to have a life worth living will help your forward.
Christy24601
You can try making a list of things that cheer you up and make you feel happy. Writing motivational messages for yourself to read when you feel down can help too. Reward yourself after you've done something you needed to do (like a chore, assignment, ...) and take a moment to congratulate yourself on reaching that goal. When you feel down, read through that list and those messages and do something that makes you feel happy.
TheTripleS719
Remind yourself why you've kept going for so long. If you aren't sure about that, think about who you have in your life who loves you. Even if you feel like there's nobody, give it a chance. They're definitely around.
miraculousPink30
have a goal and do hard work to achieve it. keep yourself busy and help others. it will make you feel good and hopeful
Godlovesus
Health, Career, Relationships, Family what is making your life messed up ? Remember that no problem is permanent. A lock never comes without a key. Re think about your problems one by one, Don't be too harsh and judgemental about yourself and do not except a quick remedy or answer to all your problems. Just deal with them one by one. Talk to people who care about you. If you feel no one cares about you or no one is interested to hear your problem then you take help of a professional. I always advice this because sometimes we all need another person to help and guide us better. Deal with your problems one by one. All the best.
HalcyonPhoenix
Right now life might not make sense. Imagine it like you're looking a globe; you can't look at all the countries simultaneously. You can't "see the whole picture" right now. But if you're patient enough to give it some time and broaden your horizon. Give yourself a chance and just live one day at a time using up motivation in small doses..
Anonymous
If I ever feel like my life is a mess and there is not much point to it I try do something small to help someone else. If I can help someone else who is having a tough time it makes me feel hopeful that I can do the same for myself.
thoughtfulZebra16
I can't say I know what you are going through. But the point of life is to try and without continuing to try what else do we live for. We just have to keep moving on.
truthSeeker71
Look at the things in your life that make you feel most motivated. Do more of what makes you feel good. Find your passion.
Sianwil
Find something to channel your energy into! Whether it's voluntary work, joining a club, doing some photography or writing...anything. Just try to find something you love
Anonymous
Make a list of things you love to do! Each day, try to do at least one of those things on your list! Your list could become endless!
Anonymous
The very fact you are alive is a reason to be hopeful. And once you actually do hit rock bottom, all that is left is up so things will have to get better.
RainbowHelp777
Focus only on the positive things in life. Don't let the negative thoughts control your body and mind. Try to let go of the past and instead visualize your future.
alexluke
You should always try and see the positive things in life and if you cant find those, make some to look forward to
Anonymous
There is always something to feel hopeful for. Always, all the time. That book you haven't finished yet? That coffee waiting for you to drink it? A movie that hasn't come out yet? Be excited for coming home after a long day, and feel accomplished for doing it well. Find motivation in the people surrounding you. Eat a good breakfast and make your bed. Do at least 1 jumping jack every day. Text or call someone you love. There is always hope, my friend. Living is the toughest thing you can possibly do, and you are doing it every day! Good job and keep going!