What are some ways you deal with anxiety?

Rory Boutilier, Registered Professional Counsellor

I use a client-centered approach to help you reach your goals. You are the expert on you! Particular areas: depression, anxiety, decision-making, change, self-injury.

thesomebodytoknow
One thing I do to calm myself down is take a long walk, preferably at night. Then I come home and watch a good movie. One of my favorite movies is "Fat kid rules the world" or "Blue is the warmest color" .
Anonymous
Well first off there is treatment which I actually just learned this week is different than just management and dealing with it. How I deal with anxiety is: I have a planner, I try to keep organized (my mom always says clean room = clean brain), distract myself and be around friends if I think anxiety is starting, and I try to take an active response by preventing it before it starts. What I mean by preventing is: if you know that you get anxiety when you wake up late, set three alarms to make sure you get up early. I hope this helps!
CaitlinRose
Deep breathing, stretching, exercise, making sure to get adequate rest, making sure that I am not over or under eating.
sofia17
writing in a journal, drawing my feelings, watching a show or movie, reading, hanging out with close friends
msgoldie326
I have learned to keep a journal and that writing out what you are feeling seems to help me. Also, when I am havign a panic attack I try to do crossword puzzles, suduko, and other games like that to try to take my mind off of the panic. Hope that helps!
StandForFreedom
JUST BREATHE! This is not the only thing I do to deal with anxiety, but it is definitely the first thing I focus on! Sometimes just focusing on my breathing is enough to calm me down, and if not, at least it makes it 100 times easier to move onto the next step if my breathing is under control!
justkismet
I think there is no cookie-cutter way to deal with an issue such as anxiety; a lot of things that people recommended to me didn't work out, and it was quite a struggle to find out what was right for me. Among the things that did work out, art and journaling are my favorite ways to cope.
Dreamz
I try to focus on breathing and try to distract myself the best I can because distraction is key. Play a game or talk to someone. Get your anxiety off your mind.
WarmOceann
I practice the 4-8-7 calming breath exercise. I find it enormously helpful to calm myself, and I love that you can practice it any time, no one needs to know!
Anonymous
I practice mindfulness. Being in the moment. I acknowledge my thoughts as being there. I try not to fight or challenge my irrational thoughts, as I end up thinking about it even more and doubt myself in the process. I go on with my life, doing things as normal and focusing on important things. Distracting myself. Physical exercise also helps. Music too.
poptart99
try things to take your mind off of it, maybe you like video games drawing or writing. try something you haven't done maybe find hobbies that relieve stress for you
Anonymous
1. Learn to recognize the signs of your own panic. If you feel the telltale signs of panic, which include a racing or pounding heartbeat, flushing of the face or body and mental confusion, you are in a state of panic. If you are shouting, saying unreasonable things, or just saying whatever comes out of your mouth, without thinking about consequences, you are also in a state of panic. 2. Take some deep breaths. Deep breathing will calm your body and burn off the adrenaline that’s been released in the panic. Slow down, count to ten and focus on thinking clearly and factually rather than reacting emotionally. If you don’t understand how to do deep breathing, you can learn how to do a deep breathing exercise here. 3. Take responsibility to figure out what you’re afraid of. Unless you’re in immediate, direct danger, what’s scaring or upsetting you is probably not as urgent as you think. Make a list of what you’re afraid of that help you move beyond free-floating anxiety and you will begin to think more clearly. 4. Check the facts. Is what’s on the news really true? Do we have an epidemic, or only 11 confirmed cases in Calfornia? Does the source you’re listening to have something to gain by putting you in a panic? Are they trying to sell you something, get federal funding, or get elected? Are you reacting to someone else’s panic? Get some facts about whatever is frightening you. Is there a real, immediate threat or is it just wise to be cautious? Is your partner actually going to abandon you, or is he or she just angry about something? 5. Make a decision and take some action tackling each fear. If it’s a health fear, perhaps better hygiene or a talk with your doctor will resolve it. If it’s a relationship fear, finding out what your partner is really thinking, instead of guessing, will probably make more sense. Get a flu shot, go for relationship therapy or have a good talk with your partner or family member. 6. Sell yourself on a positive outcome. Think of all the possible great outcomes of the changes you’re making. Consider what you will learn, and how much better your life and relationships will be without the panic. With a calmer outlook, you’ll be able to make better decisions and create a more successful outcome. I wish you peace, within yourself, within your family, within the world.  
AlexieOak
I have a small bag that I carry with me in my purse at all times with some things to help grounding and I usually find a corner in which I can find solitude and breathe. The breathing I do, my therapist calls "Darth Vader Breathes" because you breathe in long and deep through your nose and out your mouth and it can seem noisy. Focus in on the air going slowly in, and than out your lungs. In my emergency bag I have a perfume I like, some rocks which textures I enjoy, and small trinkets that a child-friend gave to me. I will either fiddle with the items in my bag or apply the perfume and it gives me something else to focus in on if the breathing doesn't work. Also, if I am in my home, I find that the process of making tea is another thing to deliberately focus on step-by-step.
Anonymous
It's hard to do, but I limit the things that I have to feel anxious about. I try not to commit to an excessive number of things, even when I feel pressured to do so. I take time for myself. I make lists - obsessively - which helps me to stay organized and feel as though I am accomplishing things. I've tried to incorporate meditation into my life, as well as eating healthfully, reaching out for support when I need it, spending time outside, and getting a decent amount of exercise. It's a hard balance to strike, and I certainly still feel anxiety. I'm improving - it's just something that I have to work at.
Someone2LeanOn
Take deep, slow breaths think of the things you love and think about the positive side of the situation! Spending time with family and friends you love can also help!
Jenna
Researching coping mechanism tools for anxiety is a starting place. Practice with each one until you find one or a few that fit you best in bringing you grounding and comfort. It can take some time to find something that works but don't give up.
Anonymous
There cant ever a way to deal with something if you don't have the will to want to deal with it. You firstly have to accept that being anxious is just going to be harmful for your self. When you do, you just have to follow two simple.. If you do that properly, you'll feel better. Just close your eyes and BREATHE.
pizzadonald1
With anxiety, anxious breathing is a huge factor which affects how we’re feeling at the present. A way in which I have discovered to help chill out is ‘calm breathing’ Here are a few steps to try and follow; 1 – Sit or lie down comfortably. Close your eyes if you wish. 2 – Breathe slowly and steadily in through the nose for a count of 4 seconds. 3 – Hold your breath in for a count of 2 seconds. 4- Breathe out slowly and steadily through your mouth for a count of 4 seconds. 5 – Repeat this for a few minutes. Calm breathing is extremely useful in changing the way we feel. When we breathe, we take in oxygen that is used by our body, which creates carbon dioxide which we breathe out. When we are breathing regularly these two levels are balanced. But when we are anxious breathing, out breathing rate increases. We take in more oxygen and breathe in more carbon dioxide than usual; however the body isn’t working any harder than it would (for example, when exercising) and so there isn’t any extra carbon dioxide being produced and we’re breathing in extra oxygen. Calm breathing helps to regulate this, for any more information please do feel free to contact me 
OliverC
It used to be that no matter what techniques I tried, nothing could take away my anxiety. It was like I was drowning, and breathing exercises/meditation would drain the water down to my shoulders, but once I stopped focusing 100% so I could actually *do* something, the water would rise back up, and I was drowning again. The only thing that made my anxiety manageable has been medication. Medicine, for me, is like a buoy. I can grasp on that buoy, climb onto it so that less of me is in the water. There's still anxiety, but the techniques that didn't work (or barely worked) before are now enough to help me climb back on that buoy when a wave knocks me off. I can *live*. Not everyone has access to medical help for psychiatric problems, but if your anxiety is bad enough that it harms your daily functioning, then you should consider it. I knew others would give plenty of techniques, so I wanted to focus on this aspect.
Emilyle
I try and take deep breaths to help me calm down and if that doesn't help I just sit down and RELAX! I don't think about anything and I start to clear my mind.
Anonymous
Take a deep breath. Find 5 things you can see, 4 you can hear, 3 you can touch, 2 you can taste, and 1 that you think is pretty. Try to focus on other things.
mininugget
Take deep breathes. Get your mind off of everything by doing something you enjoy. Draw, write, sing, etc.
LeprechaunsandLollies
I deal with anxiety by challenging my mind using brain games. I also color mandalas, draw and paint, anything to keep my mind occupied and level.
SunshineCitrus
I watch podcasts and gameplay walkthroughs. A lot of vloggers play Minecraft. Something about it is so calming. It's easy and free on Youtube. I'd recommend Achievement Hunter, personally.
riverscene13
I sit down and try to breathe in a healthy relaxing way. I try to change my perspective and not over think things and by thinking different I feel normal again.
Sunrisedshadows
I try to calm myself down and think of all the good things in life and every good thing that's been happening to me.
Anonymous
Distraction is a big one for me usually with the app "Stack". I also use guided meditation apps like "breathe".
Greysmdl
Exercise can be a great and constructive way to channel anxiety. Talking with a trusted family, friend, or religious official can be helpful. Some calming music is helpful. Putting something out of your mind while your subconscious focuses on it can be helpful.
Anonymous
Here's a prayer which I use to calm anxiety: "O God, refresh and gladden my spirit. Purify my heart. Illumine my powers. I lay all my affairs in Thy hand. Thou art my Guide and my Refuge. I will no longer be sorrowful and grieved. I will be a happy and joyful being. O God! I will no longer be full of anxiety, nor will I let trouble harass me. I will not dwell on the unpleasant things of life. O God, Thou art more friend to me than I am to myself. I dedicate myself to Thee, O lord."
Anttheanteaterr
Take a cold freezing shower in the morning and right before bed. This conditions the body to get over a fear response that comes naturally from cold temperature.