How to get over someone you never dated?

Danielle Johnson, MSED, Community mental Health Counseling, LMHC

Sometime situations and feelings can be so strong that we struggle to function. You are not alone! My practice is flexible and open-minded and tailored to your personal needs.

May 3rd, 2016 6:21am
Just remember the reason of why u want to get over that someone in the 1st place. Trust your judgments in all your decisions and follow them.
Anonymous
I feel upset that the person I love most is not loving me back and not giving importance to our relationship. I will ask him the reason of this behavior and then I will jump to any conclusion.
GeekRabbit
August 23rd, 2016 12:07am
Social media is a terrible reminder of things you wan't to get over. You don't need to bloke someone, but taking a few days offline, just for yourself, can do wonders.
GaurdianAngel1989
First I would cut off all ties with the person, delete his number, and any other contact detail. Then spend some time out with friends doing things I love. Avoid running into him as much as I can, meet new people.
TheTripleS719
How to get over someone you never dated can take as much time as getting over someone you did date. All I can say on this is it gets easier day by day. Easier said then done, but if you continue living your life like those feelings were never there, soon they go away. Or the pain just gets easier to ignore.
Allyren
Find something else to take your mind over it, something you enjoy doing such as sports, hanging out with friends, etc.
2cupsofteaa
Meet new people. If you've never dated, there is a chance that both of you guys may not be compatible. Understand that what you think you like about someone you're not close is simply an illusion.
caringdaisy
This is a hard one and im going through that right now. You need to give yourself time. Time heals all wounds. You cant just fix yourself in a day and you need to let all of your emotions out.
Anonymous
Don't think about them.if it possible find another one.you can tell about the person to someone who may be close to you or understands you better.
BeyondEmpathy
Always a difficult and painful situation. Maybe sharing your feelings with another would be useful way to share the burden. Have you thought of discussing this further with a Listener?
caffeinatednightmare13
understand it wasnt meant to be and that if you keep dwelling youll miss an opportunity to date someone who will love you for you and is right before your eyes. youll lose them strung up on someone you wish you had and lose the one you can have
Honeypuffs99
Keep your eyes open for other possibilities, and try not to think or forcus too much on this person you are trying to get over. Also try to stay away from them, and keep in mind the phrase "out of sight, out of mind".
KindBean2002
Try not to think of them. I think you should try to control your mind, and maybe have a motivation/reward for yourself! Maybe it helps..
Letmehelpyou911
You can get over this think of a another girl that you like and ask her out then you be more focus on you girlfriend the her
Anonymous
How to get over someone you never dated is a process that will usually depend on the existing relationship (however unromantic it may have been) that you had with said person. Personally, the way I get over someone I never dated is to tell myself that I would much rather keep this person in my life even as just a friend rather than not have them in my life at all.
ElliotIsGoingPlaces
Just simply try to distract yourself with more people. Try to surround yourself with good love It will be okay.
Anonymous
read a book, watch movies, sleep go out with friends meditate! anything that could calm you down and get over
starboyoevvie
You get over someone you never dated the same way you get over someone you have dated; feelings do not depend on whether or not you dated. Honestly, I was in a love with this boy for so long, over a year to be exact, and we never dated. Meanwhile I got over my ex within 2 months. Keep yourself busy, make new friends and meet new people and just do what makes you happy! Happiness is the key to everything and soon you'll be over them.
Anonymous
Just know that there's always someone better. There will be someone that you will love for life and they will love you in return. It isn't the end of the world. It's a new beginning.'
JDust
Instead of focusing on them, continue to work on yourself. Over time, as you develop personally, you'll understand why your situation worked out the way it did, and why what you went through has taught you what you know now. You may still wish to have dated that person, but you'll likely be thankful that you didn't, so that you were able to learn from the experience.
avamadueno22
I know how this feel, 100%. I liked this person since third grade and we talked here and there but it wasn't until his senior year that I told myself I should make a move. Sadly, it didn't really form anything I intended on wanting. But, we still talk here and there and are as close as we can be. I know that it hurt because I never had the chance with him. We got close but he chose to just be friends and I respected that and was glad we both decided on that. But, I know how you feel. It hurts because you thought they could be someone you could see yourself with, but it doesn't happen like that. Honestly, if you can keep them in your life like as friends then I wouldn't hesitate to do that. Even if you never have a dating relationship, the friendship is still something you want to value. It hurts a little bit because you care for them a lot greater than for a friend. But those things happen, and you will get through it, you just gotta tell yourself later down the road you'll be glad you had what you had even when you wanted something more.
TheCup5893
meet new people. Now, this may seem like the most overplayed response but there's a reason why it is overplayed. When we like a person, it's about us and not them. It is a two way street when it is reciprocated but for now it's just about you and your mind that is showing you tunnel vision with this person. Your mind that is refusing to see the good in other people. Your mind that is comparing every other person to the person it likes. Get out there. Meet new people. Don't look at them like a potential lover. Enjoy yourself and I hope you are able to do this and realise the results. Most importantly, don't forget that forgetting someone is not an overnight process. Cheers.
HelperTed
Acknowledging that true love is mutual. This means if you've fallen for someone and they didn't return the feelings, it wasnt meant to be. Sounds a bit stupid and simple, but it is the truth. Think it this way: perhaps you could've gotten the person interested, but that relationship would certainly have a short expiration time anyways.
Oceansunset33
Write. And write some more. And then move on. Honestly, someone that doesn't realize how cool you are doesn't deserve your time! Take the love that you had for this person and spread it around. Mostly, forgive yourself.
ingeniousPeace79
Thats probably one of the hardest. Because of the distance. It gives you the possibility to project perfection on that person. No flaws. How can you give up perfection? Tough. But facts are facts. And we should always take them into careful consideration. The fact is, for whatever reason, theres distance. Law says: like attracts like, different repels different. Its no brainer if you believe this law.
ManiRose
Getting over someone you never dated is probably the second hardest thing beneath getting over the longest relationship you've had. One simple thing to kind of realize (and this helps me out quite a bit) is that you two aren't together for a reason, that there is someone better out there. You may think this person you're trying to get over is better, but maybe they're not. How can I tell? You're trying to get over them.
Mel
It's incredibly hard to get over someone, if you had feelings for them. It doesn't matter if you dated or not, you could still love them or have feelings for them. How to get over it, is probably a receipt we would all like to have, because it would definitely solve all our love lives. It's hard. It hurts. Most of the times, you never get over them completely, but mostly, what you do is learn to live with it. It might take longer, or it might be harder, but it eventually comes, how it does, of course, it's different for each of us.
Anonymous
It is important to remember that our soulmates are out there. And if it doesn't work out with a person who we might have thought to be the one, it is pretty obvious that it wasn't meant to be anyway. The one is still out there somewhere. And we should be grateful that we got saved from a potentially‚Äč disfunctional relationship.
Anonymous
Be realistic. Think about the things that could've made you not be able to even be with this person, or the little things they do that you don't like. Be respectful of them if they chose not to be with you, and try to understand that things can't always be perfect. If you can't be with that person now, you probably weren't meant to be with anyway.
Anonymous
We all have crushes that we are dreaming off. But if you find yourself thinking about someone who was never a part of your life than that is probably like that for a reason. You will find someone who will like and love you more than that person. Think positive and spend time with people who make you happy.