My boyfriend or girlfriend cheated on me, should we break up?

Andrea Tuck, LCPC

I tackle and discuss a multitude of social and emotional health issues. I have a belief that through empowerment and non-judgmental support clients' can thrive.

cianbrennan
Sadly, absolutely. Once the trust is gone from a relationship there's only the slimmest chance in the best relationships that it'll return. It'll be a hard lesson to learn but prolonging the relationship otherwise will only lead to more suffering in the long term.
gracefulPalm90
Decisions such as a break up is hard to make and I am sorry that this has happened to you. I don't think anyone would like to be cheated on or have their heart broken. Talking things through with another persona can really open the door to the answers that we are looking for
GrowthMindset17
Depends on how you both feel. Talk about the situation and figure out what is best. Once you come to an agreement follow it.
Anonymous
At least hear them out, see if it was a misunderstanding or where it went wrong. If your significant other really has no intention to stay together, break it up. Break it up, get over them, and find someone else who is willing to treat you the way you should be. If there was some kind of accident or miscommunication, clear things up and make the final decision - to forgive them or forget them.
exquisiteGrotto32
that decision is up to you. You just have to work out if you're willing to give him/her another chance..
Anonymous
Maybe you should talk to your partner and ask him or her why he she did it and later think about your happiness
Anonymous
what you think are they had really cheated you once you should ask your self then take decision its all up to you its all in your mind
BatWings89
How important is sexual exclusivity to you? Do you have the will to rebuild the trust, which is hard work? Have you talked about why they cheated? Do they still have feelings for you? All of that are factors that can change the decision. In the end only the both of you can decide.
FaythLexis
Firstly you should try to talk about it with him/her. If you think he/she is guilty about it and wants another chance then do give it another shot. If it happens again then yes I think the breakup would be the right choice.
Anonymous
YES. You should not be with someone who cheats on you. You are way better than that. I think you should breakup
Anonymous
Do you think you can forgive him or her? I might not ever be able to let go of the pain and take him back
Anonymous
January 22nd, 2016 1:04pm
break ups comes with mixed emotions. at the event of break ups lot of words and emotions are involved. it is wise to cool off first and make sure you are at a state where you can take permanent decisions.
BlaireMack198
I've been cheated on and it's tough, part of me wants to say yes, you should because if they've cheated once they'll do it again but another part of me wants to say, do you feel like this relationship is worth saving? and if it is, then stay together but if you don't think it is then you should break up. I guess what I'm trying to say is do what you think is right.
starryTree55
It depends. Cheating is not okay. Communication is very necessary- you are your partner should discuss this, talk about why it was wrong, and make sure it never happens again. If these ground rules fail to be established then an end in the relationship may be the best.
LoveIsOurWeapon
Yes, Cheating is the worst possible thing you could do to a person, and is a for sure way to lose trust.
Niyati30
Yes I feel you should focus on bigger and brighter things in life. You should confront if he apologizes give him one chance
Anonymous
I think it's up to you, if a person cheated on you and you forgive him/her they will do it again, because they know you will accept it
fallingflowerpetals00
yes or work it out, communication is key in any relationship. Talk about it, and maybe see a therapist together. If nothing works...end it.
Anonymous
If you believe that you can't trust them anymore or you don't feel comfortable in the relationship than yes. But it is okay if you want to work things out and try to save the relationship.
Anonymous
If they cheated on you, you should break up because it shows that they don't take the relationship seriously enough
Tahsin
You should talk about it with him/her. Discuss the possibilities also. But, what you decide to do is completely up to you.
hearnospeaknoseeno
Yes, because you will only be cheating yourself out of a better relationship with someone else in the long run. You deserve better than this, love yourself and acknowledge that you have been wronged and disrespected. I will be here to support you if you need any help at all.
CallmePat
It depends. Most likely, this will haunt you in the relationship/lead you to care less. You need to be open with your partner about what happened and how you feel.
gracefulSummer23
before making any decision, you should take time to think about every possibilities, ask yourself first, whether you are taking a right decision or not.
TheOneYouAreLooking4
You should focus on yourself, give yourself the value you really deserve, the love you really deserve.. get fullfilled. get emotionaly healed.. once you get it you are ready to move on...remember "New good things only comes to your life when you get rid with the old and bad ones"
bubblingGrace29
Yes, because if your partner is cheating on you it is a sign of disrespect and the relationship not going well. Would you rather date someone who is willing to cheat on you or someone who will not think of dating anyone else and you are all they think about?
Anonymous
It depends on if they truly do feel bad about what they did. You should only break up if you feel like the relationship isn't worth fighting for.
reeyseelbeel05
No but it can be yes, depends on the situation. People commit mistakes and it is just a prove that we are human beings. If your partner cheated on you, you have the right to be mad or to be angry. But would you waste all the effort and love that you both have just because of one stupid mistake? People and everyone deserves second chance. If it is the first time of your partner to cheat, then i think your partner derserves your forgiveness but im not saying that you will just forget and forgive. Maybe try to figure things out and know why did your partner commit that mistake. But if your partner did it for several times already, i think it is better to let go and move on.
Anonymous
Based on my personal experience, I think it is better to break up: the first time I forgave her and she did it again.
Anonymous
I can't tell you what you should and shouldn't do. It's up to you, just think if you forgive him and if it's worth it.