Why do I freak out in relationships so easily?

Kelly Horton, PsyD

Sometimes life can feel overwhelming due to depression or anxiety. I work with my clients in a nonjudgmental, supportive, way to find their voice and reclaim their lives.

Theserainydays
I don't know if you're anything like me, but if you are, here are a couple of possibilities: 1) You're sort of a hot mess when it comes to your self-esteem. Especially at the start of a relationship, when you're completely lovestruck and think the other person hung the moon, you start to worry if you're good enough, if you're worthy of that perfect person, if you deserve to be loved. Sometimes I get so discouraged when I meet a cool person who seems to have it all figured out; they've got a job and a car and they're mentally stable and they have interesting hobbies and supportive friends. And here I am, eating dry cereal out of the box because I bought raspberry lemonade instead of milk. I don't want that person to get close enough to see what a mess I really am--that's a mix of pride and stubbornness and shame. And I don't want to be a burden on them. So I back away from the relationship. 2) You have no clue what you're doing, maybe because you don't really know what a healthy relationship looks like. My family didn't really model healthy relationships for me, and my first experiments in romance ended in disaster. When I look back on my history, it can be really discouraging. 3) That person isn't the right one for you. Sometimes your body/mind/intuition/gut are trying to send you a message. Not every relationship fails because you have low self-esteem and your parents divorced when you were a kid. Some people just aren't meant to be together.
Bettershapes
Relationships can be tricky and can make a person go crazy, You could care about the person to much, and want them all to yourself all the time, or you could not care about them enough and maybe need to let them go. Sometimes people just arent cut out for relationships until they can further develope their own personality.
Anonymous
I freak out in relationships so easily becauseI'm scared I might hurt the person I love I don't want to
AngelBoo
Reasons I tend to freak in relationships.. 1) I'm afraid to make mistakes 2) I'm nervous that they'll stop liking me 3) I don't know if I'm ready to commit to more 4) I have high anxiety an stress to much over everything
bestMango10
Relationships can be scary, it's something new. You just need to stay calm and see where it goes and not worry too much about the what ifs just focus on being happy in a relationship.
Anonymous
You may freak out in relationships because you are scared to do something wrong or scare off the other person. You want to impress them, and want them to be with you forever.
sugglet244
some people feel out of their comfort zones and dont know how to pace it. take it slowly and be yourself and youll go far!!
ladyscorpio18
When we are in love we expect most things to be just fine or beyond perfect. We even wanted to do the things we see in romantic movies. But when things get rough we started to get panic. You know why? it is because we are afraid of failures, we are afraid to get hurt, we are not ready to lose that someone and most specially get betrayed. When we commit in a relationship we give it all and the fact that there is no guarantee that it will work out fine at the end of course it freaks us out but i guess its just part of being in a relationship. Being in a relationship is also just like a BET. We don't know if we're going to lose or win.
CiaraSmiles
The risk of being hurt I generally enough to cause some anxiety in some people. It is normal to feel this way.
PatienceAndLove
Getting emotionally close to someone can be hard, but it is impossible to do if you are not fully comfortable with yourself. When one is true and genuine it will attract the same in return. Bettering ourselves every day and remaining consistent in how we handle our insecurities with our significant others.
0Sara0
I guess we freak out in relationships so easily because its so valuable to us. We try our absolute best not to mess up, just not to lose it. But the process of trying our absolute best not to mess up, can often lead us to have more anxiety. Freaking out on every single detail like why did he just answer with a fine, is he angry with me. I guess we just have a little more faith that our boyfriend's love for us. Also if you girlfriend freaks out easily like me, take it postively that she loves you so much that she is worried to upset you. Understanding like this would lead to middle ground and a happy relationship!
ElfFey
March 23rd, 2016 5:11pm
It could be from so many things...only from searching inside yourself can you know what the answer is. It could be anything from feeling trapped in relationships and needing to escape, to freaking out that the person will abandon you and needing to cling on. Or anything in between! Just look inside yourself for the answer, and try to trust your partner!
Anonymous
You're scared of making an mistake and you don't want to do anything wrong, so that causes you to react in such a way.
whitedancer69
March 23rd, 2016 9:19pm
Maybe you freak out in relationships so easily, because your scared to trust your significant other. sometimes making the jump to being with one other can be hard, and trust is one of the main key concepts. learning to trust in one another can be hard and challenging sometimes. but it is totally worth it.
Could be that you had a bad past experience in a relationship that leads you to freak put that it might happen again.
SenpaiXD
Perhaps overthinking might be the main reason. It is natural but just realize to not expect the worst. And no your boyfriend isn't going to cheat on you when hes not texting you for 2 hours.
Vixiana
Relationships can be overwhelming sometimes. We have a lot of expectations, hopes, wishes. We're anxious about people getting too close, about getting hurt. Sometimes the anxiety has a good reason, sometimes not so much. It's important to take a moment and reflect on it, but not to overthink.
ShatteredPain
Maybe you've been hurt in other relationships, and you don't trust the other person to not hurt you or mistreat you.
superpoppy14
Relationships can be daunting or scary, especially if they are new to you. Give yourself time to adjust. You will begin to feel more comfortable eventually.
Anonymous
Because you probably scared that you are going to get hurt in the middle of a relationship so you just freak out.
Anonymous
Maybe you are scared or in fear of the unknown? It could be a number of reasons so it is difficult for us to say, get to the root of it and ensure you are understanding your own mind.
Daydreamer7
It could be your lack of experience, racing thoughts and... the most terrifying of all- Expectations. It could be yours, that of your partner or your assumption of what your partner's expectation might be.
zearo3236
Maybe it has to do with what you think the other person thinks of you, or being scared you'll mess up. Don't worry, we are all imperfect. Progress comes slowly.
Aquadreamer4151
it can be our own insecurities that make us uncomfortable in a relationship this can be personal self consciousness or past experiences in relationships.
practicalCat571
There can be a lot of reasons as to why we react this way especially when we are faced with something that requires commitment and intimacy from us. From my experience, it was often something that i traced back to my childhood. Look deeper inside of you and ask yourself little questions - What exactly is it that I'm afraid of? Why do I feel threatened to trust this person? Am I willing to share a little about myself in the hopes that this person will not judge and/or reject me? Sometimes it helps too, to reflect on how the persons closest to us when we were children have treated us back then until we got older.
EmilijaS
Does it mean relationships as with friends or lovers? It sort of depends on many factors but most is because you might feel a bit insecure around yourself so you are really afraid that you are going to lose them. At least that is the problem with me. The way I solved this problem to myself was that I openly talked to the people that I felt this way around them, and together we came up to conclusion that I should really be quiet and they showed me some more attention that I probably lacked or I just didn't notice it because I was too scared I was going to lose them. But after all, that's what worked for me, we are all separate individuals. ♥
AlexJames25
Freaking out in relationships is particularly common, much more common than people think! You're learning so much about another person and in turn they're learning just as much about you. The important thing is to communicate any worries or issues you have with your partner. My girlfriend and I always try and talk issues through before they actually become harmful. It's worth saying though that it doesn't always work and you will encounter things that are difficult to deal with, but when you face these things the best thing to do is power through and don't stop.
Anonymous
There might be a lot of stress working on you from previous relationships. Did anything go wrong with your relationships in the past? Is this your first relationship? You might just be nervous.
lowkeyfye9
its normal to feel a little scared when youre in a new relationship. but i would suggest trying to take a few deep breaths and calming down whenever you feel yourself starting to freakout.
creativeSunshine46
April 22nd, 2016 2:15am
Sometimes you are afraid to commit to the relationship and that makes it seem scary, you have a choice between fight or flight and if you're scared you'll pick flight every time