What's the best way to get over someone calling you nasty names?

Alex DS Ellis, MA, LMFT

Feeling depressed or anxious can be so overwhelming. I want to help you feel better and be able to enjoy life. You are not alone and you deserve emotional support.

Anonymous
Realize that you're a human being. People will walk over you and treat you with disrespect just to see you get mad. Don't get sad because someone called you a name, you're beautiful and you should be happy.
Anonymous
Ignore them. Evict them: do not allow them to rent space in your head. Understand that they speak from a place that may have nothing at all to do with you. They may in fact be projecting what they fear they are. Do not waste time or energy on people who want to pull you down.
elliejade
The best thing to do is ignore them and do not believe it. What they're saying is probably because they're jealous.
JD821
Ignore them, or kill them with kindness, show them it doesn't bother you. The more you do that, the more it drives them insane until they eventually quit. If it's through social forms, just block them on all platforms, you don't need to tolerate it.
Anonymous
Ignore them, you do not need their negativity in your life. In a few weeks, months, and years, these little words won't matter one bit. It may hurt now, but just lift your head up and walk right past them, like the amazing person you are. They'll realize this.
softWingedgiraffe33
November 22nd, 2014 1:37am
Realize that they must be very insecure to have to resort to belittling others. Also realize that you are unique, and that is an amazing thing.
immortality
I can't speak for others, but I reply to them with the same thing, I feel better and move on.Or, you can show you are better than them by choosing to ignore them when they talk.Pretend to talk about something else, or simply leave.
MariaFC
A person calling you names is flat out trying to be hurtful to you, which reflects badly on them more than anything. Remind yourself that they don't even care if what they're saying is true as much as whether or not they can hurt you. If you're being insulted in a professional setting or by someone in an official capacity, think about making an official complaint - you don't have to accept being bullied.
avocadoallyson
The best way to get over someone calling you nasty names is to void those names from their power. You can't control what other people say, but you can control how their words affect you. Remind yourself that you are important and loved.
Catt3456
knowing your value, and realizing that there a lot of people out there who look up to you and want to see you happy, the opinion of a few shouldnt affect your daily life, dont let a bad yesterday ruin a good today :D
briannalm823
Realize that their only doing it to feel better about themselves and that the names are not true. Treat yourself positively and ignore them
Tellyc
Try not to stoop to their level. I always assume that if someone wants to go out of their way to be rude by calling names, they must be dealing with a lot more and I recognize I don't want to be on the save level as them.
AndyP84
Don't let yourself be defined by other people's thoughts or feelings. Know who you are, and know that it is your right to feel confident, safe, and satisfied with yourself. No one has the right or the power to take those things away from you unless you give it to them.
Anonymous
You laugh along with them? Taking nicknames with a grain of salt is what I've learnt through years of being bullied. On the bright side during introductions or ice breakers you offer others a new perspective of yourself. Also, it just shows the bullies that nothing can get to you so long as you look at it from another perspective. I always feel like life is all about perspective and honestly, it hasn't failed me so far. So all I'm saying is that our time is precious enough for ourselves, why waste it on others who are undeserving? Live and let live. :)
LoyalLouie
I think there's one really important thing: self-esteem. Whatever they call you, be aware that just because they say it, it won't become a an unquestionable truth. You know yourself best.
heartfulSky71
Dont listen. Just look and smile. It's not what they really think. Trust me.
MKDavis
Remember that they are only doing it because they are treated like that themselves (or they will be soon ;D)
Anonymous
Well usually someone calling you nasty names is cause they either can't bear your presence, or they feel lower than you or maybe they just want some good quality that you have but they can't get it. So if someone calls you something nasty, you can probably let go by just laughing it off or just amuse yourself by thinking "wonder how much time they spend making names for me?" Haha, or just let it pass like how you would when you hear loud bikes on the road, ignore basically. Hope it helped!
vibrantesprit
A narrow mind and a wide mouth often times go together. Just let things go in one ear and out the other. Don't let their opinions of you hinder what you've got going for yourself. Often times when people are upset and blabbering it says a lot more about them rather than the person they are talking about. xoxo
Anonymous
Don't let it affect you, they call you names to get a reaction out of you to make you feel bad about yourself.
Anonymous
People that call others names are just trying to make other people feel bad and other to have a laugh. It is wrong, but you must remember that these people have nothing better to do than talk about you, pick on you. This is how little they have going on that they resort to this. These people are also struggling, but you, you are going to get over a name, or a joke as it doesnt change who you are. You are not the bully, in 5/10/15 years when people look back at who they were, you will have a clear conscience, they wont! Be strong, be focused and work to what you want, these people will soon regret their actions.
littlestolive
Let it roll right off of you! Names are just words that only have meaning if you let it! Know that you're so much better than that :)
TimeForTheLight
The best way is doing something else, mind you are better than whoever is calling you those things and maybe venting your frustration with someone you trust
Anonymous
I first ignore them in order to give them a chance to back out, and if they didn't, then I would stand up for myself.
Sam32
The best way to get someone calling nasty names is by simply not letting them affect you so you not
spectacularPiano55
The best way to get over that is to just ignore them. The reason that they are doing those things is because they want to get a reaction out of you. If you let them see what they want to see they are going to continue to do those things. You can't let it get to you. Talk to someone you trust the most.
BarefootMonster
My favorite way to get over someone calling you a nasty name is to remember a favorite quote of mine. "You may be the ripest, sweetest, juiciest peach in the world, but there's still someone out there who just hates peaches." It reminds me that I can be a fantastic person in my own light, and it's okay for someone to still not like me. Someone disliking me doesn't take away from my value.
Anonymous
You should never believe those names no matter who is telling you. You know yourself the best and not them. If you think they are not true that I'm most certainly that they are not. You should remind yourself that you are not defined by your bullies.
BadSpeech
Fall in love with yourself, be your own crush. Other people's opinion on you do not define your self worth. Repeat positive affirmations to yourself a few times a day.
Spiderman93
November 21st, 2014 10:06am
Dont let nasty names bother you! The person who calls you nasty names, may be having a hard time with something. You know you are better than anything anyone can call you!