What's the best way to get over someone calling you nasty names?

Hisham Tawfik, M.S.W.

Counseling and psychological services are my passion more than my work, It is all about love, and love is the only real value.

Anonymous
The best way to get over someone calling you nasty names is to remind yourself that the person may be going through terrible things at home. Ignore the person, they will eventually stop.
Anonymous
You have probably heard "They're just jealous" before, but that might be exactly why they do that. Just remember you are fantastic and that person doesn't know what they're messing with!
Anonymous
I ignore, but I know doing this can be hard for some people. Just remember they're trying to get to you. They want you to be sad. Try thinking of something happy to make you smile or laugh. It can leave the bully confused or flustered,
ellecbr
October 22nd, 2017 4:05am
My answer is a cliché one, you can just ignore them. It works well! But to be honest, it's not that easy. You can start off by thinking that their opinions on you don't really matter. You're you, and you don't need to care about someone else thinking you're fat, ugly, weird, or more. You don't need someone else's approval to love yourself.
Dykeria
People like to do horrible things to another because they like the feeling of being better and more powerful than you. If you let these people get the better of you- make you angry or sad- than they have accomplished their goal. In my personal experience, I always remind myself of who I am. So what if other people judge me? I am who I am, and if people don't like it then they don't have to talk to me or try to bring me down. Staying true to myself is more valuable to me than what someone else may call me.
vegetables
You need to learn to differentiate truth from lies. Many a times, the nasty names are not the truth, and you know this. Hold strong to your beliefs and don't let the false words of others bring you down.
peacefulHeart33
Know that bullying and name-calling are being done by people who are broken. You'll also have to understand that you are more than what you experience. Be the bigger person and learn how to forgive. Don't let them make you feel inferior.
Anonymous
Talk to a relative or close friend and see what they can do about it. It really just depends on the situation, and where this is happening!!
Anonymous
For me, it's just ignoring them and proving them that you don't deserve that nasty names that they are giving you. I've encountered those times. Bullies more likely to bully you more when they find it fun or they found out that you are getting weaker and weaker everytime they bully you. I know its hard, it really is. But I hope there is someone who is there for you physically. Love lots!
Sushigirl9
I was very upset when a good friend tried to put me down by calling me names and said some nasty things to me. I’m still trying to get over it by focusing on the things I’m good at. That makes me feel better knowing that I have my strengths.
HappyRoses
Never let them get to you or your happiness/confidence. People are capable of saying mean things but its your job to learn to love yourself and be confident.
competentYellow76
January 31st, 2018 10:50pm
Ignore them! We've all been called a nasty name but it isn't worth your time! Be positive! No one can make you feel bad about yourself unless you let them!
Anonymous
You should let an adult know about this and not show the name caller feel that you are offended by the names being called, a bully loves making others feel bad, so if you show the bully that you care he will stop eventually
blissfulKiwi74
Ignore them because they are only doing that for attention and if you give them attention then they will get what they want and win. Most of the time, the people that call you nasty names do so because they feel bad about themselves and want someone to feel the same way.
LittleButterfly
It can be really tough to get over something like that. Words can cause so much damage. As hard as it may be, and what has helped me also, is to try to remind yourself that what others do and say has nothing to do with you. People who are negative to others often feel miserable with themselves or an aspect of their life. That in no way excuses their behaviour, but in saying that, people sometimes unfortunately try to bring others down to raise themselves above those individuals. But sometimes, people are just mean for no given reason. At the end of the day, what people say and do is only a reflection of who they are, not who you are.
elizabethunter
Just ignore it.They are doing it because they are contstantly thinking about you which is different from you,you dont thin about them at all.If you ignore it there is a huge chance for them to stop.And also whatever they say you know the truth,that you are beautiful just the way you are!!!
Imheretohelpu12
Remember that you can’t please everybody. We aren’t perfect and we can’t please everyone and that’s ok because we are all different. Stop remembering what someone said negatively about you and start remembering more often about the compliments that people who really care about you tell you. That’s what you should focus on, the people who love you and want to see at your best.
Anonymous
Realize that their anger has nothing to with you and everything to do with them internally and love yourself!!
Nansidrew
Just know that what people say is a definition of who they are, not who you are. If people call you nasty names, it is because they think poorly of themselves. Furthermore, if people spread positivity, they are most likely happy, healthy individuals.
Anonymous
No one enjoys being called nasty names, however whenever you experience bullying, or cyberbulling, or other similar scenarios, you will be called names and they can make you insecure. Situations like this can't be avoided, but understanding the drive behind their intentions to hurt you, and understanding that they are going to try and hurt you with words is how to negate and lessen the blow. You can't always guarantee what they say *won't* hurt, but you can understand why they are doing this (to be a bully, and to bring you down) and to understand that they want to pull you to their level of insecure or lower, because they, for whatever reason, feel like it's okay to do so. Just know that you are not the names they call you, and that you are the person to define who your character is. You may not be able to shake off what they said, but you CAN take a deep breath and cope with it to get over it, and work towards not listening to what they have to say. Just remember The bully's intention is to bring you down. Not be honest with you. You got this, and remember that you are the expert on you, and your situation. If you are experiencing any form of bullying, please reach out to someone, as you do not deserved to be harassed
KurtCups711
They are trying to tear you down to make themselves feel better. It's a sign of their own insecurity. Strong people don't have to step on others to have self confidence.
specialRiver83
Take it with a grain of salt because I person who would go to that extent to destroy another is a person with a lot of anger or insecurities of their own. If you can proudly admit to your faults and know you are not perfect then who cares what someone els thinks. Thou shall not judge
Sewyn
Take those insult and wear it like an shield, it won't bother you anymore if you know these ain't true, and most important, if they see they can't hurt you they'll get tired of it.
BraveMelody87
August 22nd, 2018 1:13pm
When they are close with you, it's important to realize the way they treat you could be a reflection of their own view of themself. When they are simply a stranger or acquaintance, harmful words are used to illicit a desired response. Often, having the strength to understand that neither scenario is a reflection of the person you actually are as a whole leads to better managing your own reactions. Getting defensive, or feeling victimized are natural responses. However, as a human being, you have the power to decide how you finally respond. If separating yourself from an antagonistic person isn't an option, try replying with empathy: "It sounds like you're upset with me." Or reply with resolve, "That's simply not true."
sunsetflowers130
It can be hard when people are calling you nasty names. One good way to cope with it is to just ignore it. If they see that you don’t care, they will most likely stop because all they really want is a reaction. If you feel like you need someone to talk to, you can ask a close friend or family member. You can also talk to anyone here at 7 cups! we are always ready to listen and it is a good way to let your feelings out. If it gets to the point where you need professional help, you can connect with a local therapist or a therapist online.
Anonymous
The way others call you by nasty names , says a lot about themselves than you. So don't be bothered by such people . They don't have anything better to do in their life . So instead of worrying about such things , you should use those time to improve and love yourself . You should have a strong mind . Nasty name calls , shouldn't be taken into your heart . You should avoid such people in your life . And yeah don't let it affect you . Be with positive people and live happily . Cheers
VanessaCheetoh
The best way to get over someone calling you nasty names is by taking a moment and think about how you are not defined by someone else. You define who you are. It is easier said than done but remember who you are. Remember what they are saying is what they are projecting onto you they are having issues within themselves that have nothing to do with you. You and only you have the power to define who you are as a person. Show them apathy and that they will not get a reaction out of you to put all your energy towards yourself.
originalLion57
Talk to someone you can confide in, someone who support you and helps you realize that you're not any of those nasty names the person called you. That it says more about the name caller than you.
Anonymous
Just ignore it. If it was a bully they get fueled by seeing your reaction. Don't give that reaction.
Anonymous
just think positive its the only way to go. then you just find nice things to say to yourself like: i am a good person i can do anything i want to and i can be anything i want to be.