What's the best way to get over someone calling you nasty names?

Alex DS Ellis, MA, LMFT

Feeling depressed or anxious can be so overwhelming. I want to help you feel better and be able to enjoy life. You are not alone and you deserve emotional support.

Jazyjeff
January 21st, 2016 9:35pm
Ignore them, they aren't worth it, what they really want is a reaction don't give them that satisfaction
lovelyGrace43
Ignore it. That's the best you can do. It doesn't' matter what they think of you. When people tried to insult me I knew that God is on my side. Also it doesn't matter what anyone thinks of me.
Anonymous
The people who call you names, they don't care about you. What they say is downright mean, and though it hurts, know that those people are just being mean and that it's not your fault they targeted you.
HummingWisdom179
Filter those nasty names; an insult is a compliment wrapped in spikes. Don't fight fire with fire, though, as you don't know what they could be going through!
CandyMandie1391
Know your self-worth, if you know who you really are, those words have nothing on you, I know it is not easy but rather focus on your succes, people calling you names are usually jealose
Anonymous
The best way to get over someone calling you nasty names is to remind yourself that the person may be going through terrible things at home. Ignore the person, they will eventually stop.
Anonymous
You have probably heard "They're just jealous" before, but that might be exactly why they do that. Just remember you are fantastic and that person doesn't know what they're messing with!
Anonymous
I ignore, but I know doing this can be hard for some people. Just remember they're trying to get to you. They want you to be sad. Try thinking of something happy to make you smile or laugh. It can leave the bully confused or flustered,
ellecbr
October 22nd, 2017 4:05am
My answer is a cliché one, you can just ignore them. It works well! But to be honest, it's not that easy. You can start off by thinking that their opinions on you don't really matter. You're you, and you don't need to care about someone else thinking you're fat, ugly, weird, or more. You don't need someone else's approval to love yourself.
Dykeria
People like to do horrible things to another because they like the feeling of being better and more powerful than you. If you let these people get the better of you- make you angry or sad- than they have accomplished their goal. In my personal experience, I always remind myself of who I am. So what if other people judge me? I am who I am, and if people don't like it then they don't have to talk to me or try to bring me down. Staying true to myself is more valuable to me than what someone else may call me.
vegetables
You need to learn to differentiate truth from lies. Many a times, the nasty names are not the truth, and you know this. Hold strong to your beliefs and don't let the false words of others bring you down.
peacefulHeart33
Know that bullying and name-calling are being done by people who are broken. You'll also have to understand that you are more than what you experience. Be the bigger person and learn how to forgive. Don't let them make you feel inferior.
Anonymous
Talk to a relative or close friend and see what they can do about it. It really just depends on the situation, and where this is happening!!
Anonymous
For me, it's just ignoring them and proving them that you don't deserve that nasty names that they are giving you. I've encountered those times. Bullies more likely to bully you more when they find it fun or they found out that you are getting weaker and weaker everytime they bully you. I know its hard, it really is. But I hope there is someone who is there for you physically. Love lots!
HappyRoses
Never let them get to you or your happiness/confidence. People are capable of saying mean things but its your job to learn to love yourself and be confident.
competentYellow76
January 31st, 2018 10:50pm
Ignore them! We've all been called a nasty name but it isn't worth your time! Be positive! No one can make you feel bad about yourself unless you let them!
colakat
Tell yourself that those words don't define you. they are just words, and your friends probably dont think that of you so why should you believe it? You know who you are and your friends know who you are, the person calling you names doesn't NOT know you.
Anonymous
You should let an adult know about this and not show the name caller feel that you are offended by the names being called, a bully loves making others feel bad, so if you show the bully that you care he will stop eventually
blissfulKiwi74
Ignore them because they are only doing that for attention and if you give them attention then they will get what they want and win. Most of the time, the people that call you nasty names do so because they feel bad about themselves and want someone to feel the same way.
LittleButterfly
It can be really tough to get over something like that. Words can cause so much damage. As hard as it may be, and what has helped me also, is to try to remind yourself that what others do and say has nothing to do with you. People who are negative to others often feel miserable with themselves or an aspect of their life. That in no way excuses their behaviour, but in saying that, people sometimes unfortunately try to bring others down to raise themselves above those individuals. But sometimes, people are just mean for no given reason. At the end of the day, what people say and do is only a reflection of who they are, not who you are.
elizabethunter
Just ignore it.They are doing it because they are contstantly thinking about you which is different from you,you dont thin about them at all.If you ignore it there is a huge chance for them to stop.And also whatever they say you know the truth,that you are beautiful just the way you are!!!
Imheretohelpu12
Remember that you can’t please everybody. We aren’t perfect and we can’t please everyone and that’s ok because we are all different. Stop remembering what someone said negatively about you and start remembering more often about the compliments that people who really care about you tell you. That’s what you should focus on, the people who love you and want to see at your best.
Anonymous
Realize that their anger has nothing to with you and everything to do with them internally and love yourself!!
Nansidrew
Just know that what people say is a definition of who they are, not who you are. If people call you nasty names, it is because they think poorly of themselves. Furthermore, if people spread positivity, they are most likely happy, healthy individuals.
Sewyn
Take those insult and wear it like an shield, it won't bother you anymore if you know these ain't true, and most important, if they see they can't hurt you they'll get tired of it.
BraveMelody87
August 22nd, 2018 1:13pm
When they are close with you, it's important to realize the way they treat you could be a reflection of their own view of themself. When they are simply a stranger or acquaintance, harmful words are used to illicit a desired response. Often, having the strength to understand that neither scenario is a reflection of the person you actually are as a whole leads to better managing your own reactions. Getting defensive, or feeling victimized are natural responses. However, as a human being, you have the power to decide how you finally respond. If separating yourself from an antagonistic person isn't an option, try replying with empathy: "It sounds like you're upset with me." Or reply with resolve, "That's simply not true."
Anonymous
It can be hard when people are calling you nasty names. One good way to cope with it is to just ignore it. If they see that you don’t care, they will most likely stop because all they really want is a reaction. If you feel like you need someone to talk to, you can ask a close friend or family member. You can also talk to anyone here at 7 cups! we are always ready to listen and it is a good way to let your feelings out. If it gets to the point where you need professional help, you can connect with a local therapist or a therapist online.
Anonymous
The way others call you by nasty names , says a lot about themselves than you. So don't be bothered by such people . They don't have anything better to do in their life . So instead of worrying about such things , you should use those time to improve and love yourself . You should have a strong mind . Nasty name calls , shouldn't be taken into your heart . You should avoid such people in your life . And yeah don't let it affect you . Be with positive people and live happily . Cheers
VanessaCheetoh
The best way to get over someone calling you nasty names is by taking a moment and think about how you are not defined by someone else. You define who you are. It is easier said than done but remember who you are. Remember what they are saying is what they are projecting onto you they are having issues within themselves that have nothing to do with you. You and only you have the power to define who you are as a person. Show them apathy and that they will not get a reaction out of you to put all your energy towards yourself.
GoldenRuleJG
It's relevant to know that any arguement or fight does not give any man or women a free pass to endorse in name-calling against their significant other. You may feel obliged to defend their actions that indicate any sort of verbal abuse because you are in love with them and feel this is normal in a relationship if you have not experienced one before or feel the need to give their behaviour as bad as it is the benefit of the doubt. Please take a moment to reflect whether or not you feel safe with them - abusive relationships are not always about physical violence but can be about control do. Do consider whether you have sacrificed things that make you happy , hence is the love conditional on your significant others part ? Any form of verbal abuse should be responded in a diplomatic way by letting the person know you did not appreciate what they said to let them know what your boundaries are clearly. The effects domestic violence can have on children can affect their self-esteem and make them feel that the abusive behaviour between their parents is justifiable and normal.