Are mood journals etc, actually helpful?

Michael Hofrath, Ph.D. Candidate

The only way to the other side of pain is to walk through it rather than around it. Life is a continual journey. Sometimes we get stuck. I will help you get unstuck!

Anonymous
Yes, they can help you express your feelings, plus they can help you evaluate your moods over a long period of time and what causes it, helping you to prevent it in the future.
Anonymous
Yes, they help you write and express those feelings, they can evaluate your feelings for a long time, and what causes those, helping to prevent it later in life.
It depends on the person if this is a coping skill that could work for an individual. While journaling can be a very therapeutic resource, it may not work for everybody. The only way to know if it will work for you is to try it. One can start by journaling about positive things that happened in their day, or things they like such as poetry or other things that make you happy. But, you won't know if it works for you unless you try it for yourself.
Anonymous
It helps, to a certain point... It calms you down, just like how musicians sing or play away their pain, or just like how the artist paints away his nightmares, we write to write away our feelings and keep them in a book.
Anonymous
I personally feel like they are a great way to keep track of your emotions. It helps to see a pattern in your behavior.
OptimisticOmega
Personally I think mood journals are very helpful. You can express you're feelings on to paper, so you don't have to worry about saying it outloud. It can be good for distraction, and figuring out how you're feelings work. It's worth a try, definitely.
ahasbeamer
They can be, if you also have a support system in place. Mood journals help record logical fallacies and mood swings but you may need in being consistently optimistic :)
Anonymous
They can be very helpful. Some people find it helps to let out their feelings and problems. It can release a lot of tension and make your shoulders feel better.
helpfuldot
I have found that mood journals or food logs if you're in recovery from an eating disorder are both really helpful. They help me to see I've made any progress or steps to cope.
Anonymous
Different things are helpful to different people, and it really depends on the type of person you are. But if you are interested in trying a mood journal I highly encourage you to keep one for a week or two and see if you like it! It can't hurt to try, right?
CATblue
Yes, they actually do work and are helpful. Give it a try. It may be weird or difficult in the beginning but you'll see for yourself that they do actually help.
Ozzury
i believe mood journals can be helpful if you dont have anyone close to share your feelings with or just arent that kind of person to share their feelings. someway we all have to let all of our feelings out.
Anonymous
Taking the time to sit and do a journal can have a great deal of a change on our moods and make us have a better outcome. We can chat and look at what has been a trigger and what hasn't for as long as we nee to work on issues at hand.
PeacefulSolutions
You are the best expert on your mind. Mood journals can help evaluate recurring negative emotions and positive emotions. Trying one as a "trial" period can help you farther decide if you want to have one.
Jay9816
Absolutely! Especially if you dont like talking to people or dont have anyone to talk too. Mood journals are going to be youre best friend! They dont judge they just listen :) Definitely do it!
wishpaulinkvs
I kept a mood journal for several months, although i did come to realise that when i looked back at my emotions and comments, my mood would get worse. I dont recommend it.
neverendingFireworks50
Yes. They help you keep track of how your moods have been and you have something to vent to without worrying about being judged or having everybody know.
Anonymous
Yes. Extremely. A mood Journal can help you keep track of what makes you feel certain emotions, and cane help you cut things out of your life that make a bad pattern in the journal. It's an awesome way to realise what the problem is, and easily take care of it.
RibbonOfLight4
Totally are. I have one. The rule: it has no rules. You can write whatever you want, whenever you want. You don't have to write everyday at a specific time or about just your mood. It's a chat with yourself. I usually start my post (on my smartphone) with the most important thing of the day or something that reminds me of that day in the future. Today it would be like "Stretching again every morning... my back hurts!" Sometimes i write a dream, and what I am angry at. Mostly I write to vent: "Why is it people believe a woman must like pink? Why is it so hard to find some jeans made for real women with strong thighs? I read my brother is against gay marriage... I wonder why that is" I totally support people with emotional breakdowns to have a journal.
SunshineCeline
I think so! I really do. I have this app on my phone where I can keep track of my mood. It is both delightful to look at (design wise) and it lets you see the bigger picture as to how your mood has been the last few weeks. The good thing about mood journals and apps like that is that you can write little notes as to why your mood was a certain way a certain day. That way, you can see what upsets you and what makes you happy - and improve your mood in that way.
Anonymous
Yes. It is a great way to put out how your feling and even seeing it on paper can help you understand it better.
hannahthatsme
i personally think mood journals are extremely helpful. I started a mood journal and it has been very helpful to be able to look back and see what caused my behaviors and how to avoid them later. I thin journaling in itself is a form of therapy and is extremely helpful!
helpfulsam99
Writing down your feelings can help by giving you a positive outlet for them, so I'd say yeah, mood journals can be helpful.
cynderislame
November 1st, 2016 9:10pm
It's really hard to say what is and isn't effective overall, because different things work for different people. Some people, for example, just can't keep to mood journals. If you do like to journal and you keep to it, mood journaling might be a good thing to try out. Trying it out is the only way to determine whether or not you'll find it to be effective!
itgetsbetteripromise
Yes, sometimes writing your mood and how you feel on a day to day basis is a great way to firstly, see your progress. Secondly, write your emotions and unleash inner emotions and thirdly, gives yourself something to occupy your time when you feel like your emotions are getting far too hard to handle.
TaranWanderer
I found them helpful! They're good to help you notice that your mood does change, even if you feel like you're always feeling one thing. And it helps you to analyze the factors that lead to you feeling a certain way, and to identify other ways you could have reacted.
Anonymous
It depends on the person. For me, I tend to push emotions down, and writing things down brings them to the surface, where i can deal with them instead of avoiding them. Of course, depends on the person, but can't hurt to try it!
BIPartisanPinUpGal
I believe so. Journals can be extremely cathartic because it allows you to get all of your feelings out of your head and onto paper. I would reccommend that you write it down, leave it sit for a few days without reading it at all and then visiting it again to see if the feelings are the same!
sweetSnow90
I have found mood journals helpful for short periods of time. They can highlight patterns and links that you may not notice otherwise for example hormonal changes, diet, social events or even the working week. It's also rather helpful to notice how extreme the highs/lows are and also it can be good to take to the doctors or any assessments to give a clearer picture of where you are emotionally.
Anonymous
Depends on you and what helps you cope. For me they help sort out what I'm feeling and why. It can help keep track of your mood and emotions. It can sometimes be calming and maybe identify the cause of a feeling so you can prevent it. It doesn't work on everyone, so if you're curious on if it'd work on you, maybe try it to see. Hopefully this helped :b