How do I stop from using the internet too much?

Graham Barrone, Adip ICHP, MCBT

If you've found that your quality of life has reduced because of anxiety, fear or some kind of mental hurdle that you just can't get over then lets chat.

livinginthestars12
For me, I removed a lot of social media from my phone. It's helped me tremendously. I don't check Facebook or Twitter as often anymore. Just having the willpower to remove them from easy access is a great start.
Pandette
Well, I think this depends on what you are doing on the internet. For example, if you are using the internet for research purposes or helping others like we do here on 7 Cups of Tea, I don't feel like the amount of internet usage makes a difference. Now, if you feel like you are spending too much time on social media or the like, you can always try to set up a meeting or lunch date with friends, maybe join a class or club! The first steps is figuring out what else you could do instead of spending that time on the internet! :) So, what do you enjoy doing?
palepixies
You can set limits on your electronic devices so that you are restricted to only using the internet a certain amount every day.
TropicalSeas91
stop paying your internet bill. :P More seriously though, try developing some hobbies that don't involve the internet if you believe you use it too much, find other ways to keep yourself busy.
Engineeringhappiness
go out of the house more often. and if you are going somewhere with your family, leave your phone at home. then you will be able to focus on your surrounding more than you focus on the internet.
Jadie
December 2nd, 2014 3:48am
Something that helps me is powering off my laptop or phone. That way, I have to think "do I really need to use the internet right now?" before taking the time to wait for it to restart!
Haleybcash
DO other things that you enjoy! Like read a book, ride your bike, go running, shopping, cleaning. ANYTHING. It would also help if you got out of the house more. When we are cooped up in the house it can be easy to get bored and just surf the internet for hours. ;)
Endoftherainbow1818
Well... What worked for me was, I switched off every electrical device within my reach, regardless of whether it had any connection to internet or not, I just switched it off. Then slowly, the temptation ebbed away and I could start switching the ones without internet on, then finally, ones with internet. Give it a try!
Anonymous
Its about knowing your Push and Pulls. Figure out what keeps you glued to the conputer and then find similar satisfaction somewhere else. Or dive into a new regime and let the excitement of it pull you into a new activity. Sometimes even realising the harms of being online too much is enough to make one stop.
Anonymous
Now days, everything in our life is connected to the internet, so believe it or not, we have to use internet everywhere, hence, using the internet too much is most likely correlated with the kind of activity we do, so simply, you need to avoid any activities that require using internet and start focusing on filling out your time during the day with activities that do not require using computers/phones i.e. sports, playing music, drawing, reading books, face to face chatting, etc.
spectacularCreature52
I have had a really bad facebooking problem but i overcame it. i loved to socialise with friends and random people. I later realised it was a bad idea as my grades were going down. I learnt about new interests that I have such as drawing and making music.
travelingendlessly
Try finding things outside of the internet to occupy yourself with, such as reading a good book or spending quality time with someone (and turn off or silence the phone).
Erynn
Setting time limits may help, as well as planning non-internet related activities into your day. It may help to list reasons you want to spend time off the computer and then remind yourself of those things (like, when the alarm goes of after __ amount of time online, read through a list of reasons you want to stop). If it doesn't get any better and you're putting effort into changing your habits, it may be time to talk to a counselor and see if they can help you change your behaviors.
Anonymous
Find things that motivate you outside the internet. You can also put a timer to limit internet usage, and force yourself to do something like read or hang out with friends in other time.
Anonymous
Try and limit your time on it. I used to use the internet practically 24/7. I deleted every single social media account and things I had. This is the only internet I use, which is maybe a few minutes. Sometimes Google and YouTube are the only other two things I use besides this and I don't spend much time on either at all.
Anonymous
You can read, play and listen music or go outdoor with friends! You can do what you want outdoor, from shopping to or jogging in a park
Anonymous
Try other hobbies you might enjoy, it could be watching your favorite tv show, or simply hanging out with friends.
Anonymous
First of all it is important to figure out why you use the internet so much. Do you use ist to get information? To research? to work? to connect to people? just out of boredom? Once you've figured it out you can think about ways to replace the internet but still be able to do the same things... for example wring a letter instead of chatting on facebook.
Anonymous
Fortunately I have a garden at home and I can spend time outside which helps a lot to disconnect me from the internet. Also, I like to draw and dance, so I practice my hobbies to disconnect and because it also makes me feel good
Anonymous
The Internet is good sometimes, it helps when we wanna read something or watch a movie, listen to some music, even having new friends! But there are limits, too much Internet is not good. What you can do is find something creative to do, a passion, a sport, hanging out with friends, going to the cinema, etc. Find an activity!
Anonymous
That's a hard one. But I say you distract yourself with hobbies and activities that do not involve the Internet!
Anonymous
The internet is there for a reason figure it out . We do everything on the internet of we feel lonely or depressed and want some time to see whatts going on or feel better.
Anonymous
Start seeing the life beyond internet. I know it's addictive and somehow fantastic, but try some new places, wander, eat at new unknown joints, have a great friendcircle.
Anonymous
Individual's can stop from using the internet too much by going out into the world and start exploring by making sure they do what they like to do!
EthanSerenity
I suggest first estimate how many hours you use the Internet each day. Then set an ultimate goal for how many hours you would like to use it. Then each day, pay close attention to how many hours you use it and try to log off 15 minutes less each day than the previous day until you reach your goal. If 15 minutes is too hard, log off 10 or even 5 minutes less than the previous day. If you can keep a written or typed daily journal of your usage and progress that will help you see your progress and to celebrate your success. Each time you reach a milestone that is meaningful to you, do something special for yourself as a reward, like getting a massage or eating a special treat. If you have diffculty and slip back into more usage, don't fret. You are not a failure - it's normal to have slips. Just try your best to get back onto your previous schedule before you slipped or at least start again by reducing time the next day and remind yourself it is a long-term work in progress. We are all human and we all have our challenges and all we can do is try our best.
devilsOrchestra
I would look at maybe doing activities away from the internet such as joining a gym, socialising with friends on a face to face basis or even set your self an hour to check emails etc and once the times up just come off and switch it off.
Thesewingmachinelistener
Try using it less and less every day for one week. This will help you figure out other things to fill the time.
Anonymous
Try to pull away from any websites that don't make you feel good about yourself or that are not necessary. It will be difficult at first, but deleting accounts on websites is a great way to stop using the internet so much.
Anonymous
January 21st, 2016 12:09pm
I felt I was on the internet too much, so I gave myself a project. I started re-doing furniture. It took all of my focus. Find a project to work on. It can be absolutely anything.
Anonymous
January 22nd, 2016 7:46pm
Distracting myself with something else, such as a book, playing an instrument or just walking around for a bit. After you're initially off the internet, it takes less initiative than the first step of getting off of it.