How do I stop from using the internet too much?

Graham Barrone, Adip ICHP, MCBT

If you've found that your quality of life has reduced because of anxiety, fear or some kind of mental hurdle that you just can't get over then lets chat.

slorps1978
I have to go to work all the time because it pays my bills like a cool guy. Speaking of cool guys I'm awesome
nyehJames89
Try putting a small clock to tell you when you need to get off, if that doesn't work, set up a thing to shut the pc/laptop/phone etc. off and turn back on at a certain time,
picturesque03afterthought
Indulge in activities you like..like maybe reading, drawing, writing or anything that you like. Reserve the time you spend on internet...at first it might be a little hard to follow but with practice and right determination you'll be able to do it for sure. Think of better things that can grab your attention and try to do it daily...
LifeinColour02
A good way to stop using the internet is to set yourself a timer, when the timer goes off take a break and remove yourself from things that can connect to the internet. Spend sometime outside, reading, writing, talking to a friend, going for a run etc
Anonymous
So your problem is using internet so much. You should make a timetable and use computer only 1 hour per day, other times you should turn off computer and lose your connection
Anonymous
Indulge yourself in physical activities and educational stuff. Talk to your friends face to face rather chatting on internet. Read books, go outside, play games and spend lots of time with family. When you do this you wont even try to use the internet much.
Anonymous
The most important thing here is to gain control over oneself which is obviously the toughest part. Believe me, I'VE BEEN THERE AND STILL GO THROUGH THIS AT TIMES. Try meditation which would help you gain control over your mind. You may also use this app called cold turkey which is of great help to block those sites which you find are addictive. My 2 cents!
blanket7
Go outside, arrange to hang out with friends. Get out of the house and do something fun! You can do it!!
Anonymous - Expert in Depression
Give yourself some regular breaks and set some times for how long you can be on the internet at a time - perhaps invest in a hobby like sport, reading or art.
AfternoonFirefly
The little boy I am nannying had the same problem, so I set daily goals for him, (he's 7) such as getting dressed, making the bed, good day at school, and finishing his homework. For each of these goals he got 5 minutes of Internet time. You can do the same, with different goals such as put laundry away, do dishes, and do homework. Good luck!
laian11
i think u can use some apps which specifically made for this purpose , such as NET BLOCKER
CaringJoy
Try to balance your daily activities with various hobbies and interests like going to the park, movies, sports and spending time with family and friends.
Lillyhearts1234
Keep all access to the internet out of sight because if it's out of sight it's out of mind! You don't want to use it so just keep it away!
EllaLoves
I personally use timers and find those very helpful. I would suggest trying that to avoid over use of the internet.
silverRose31
Try to balance out your time by putting other things in your schedule that will take you away from the temptation. Go for a walk, arrange a meet-up with friends, or even put your device away and focus on work or other extracurricular activities, such as reading or writing, instead.
elliejade
You can use distractions, or make a timetable for yourself. When you don't need to use the internet do something like reading, exercise or going out with friends. To make a timetable give yourself however many minutes/hours you want to be on the internet and plan the rest of the day with the things you want to do. For example you wake up at 9 and you spend half an hour on the internet. You would like to use the internet for 2 hours a day. You then go off to do whatever, for example football. You then make lunch and go on the internet for another 30 minutes. After that 3o minutes you do something else you like, for example write in your diary. Then you do another half an hour of internet, cook and eat dinner. Spend your last half an hour on the internet and then go to bed. Or you could spend 2 hours straight on the internet, but that could be tricky if you want to use the internet at another point.
Anonymous
Just simply turn your phone off. if that isn't enough, give it to a trusted family member or friend. When you truly want it back, just ask for it.
kindPink57
There are great apps now for android and apple that allow you to set a timer on your phone, and it will block you out for that amount of time. Many people have come to love ir. Hope this helps, and hope you check it out!
Anonymous
You need to put some limits on yourself or develop rules or restrictions for access to your devices.
whateveryouneedguy
every so often just turn all your devices off and have a device free day see where it leads you.....
Anonymous
avoid the internet containing things.then you can be less distracted because you less tempt to use them
Anonymous
Plan out somethings which can keep you away from the internet. Hangout with friends and family. Watch television, or maybe read books related to the topic you like. Go out for walks and listen to music or spend some time pampering yourself. Doesn't matter if you are a male/female; everybody deserves to be pampered.
lovingdxrkness
The Internet hooks you in by its range of services, which is not necessarily a bad thing. If you want to try to lay low on Internet usage, try going out more on activities you wouldn't bring your phone and at home, try start slowly like taking that extra 15 minutes off before going to bed and gradually get more and more minutes off
brightWriting43
You could set a timer and try to limit yourself to only a certain amount of internet use a day.
YourFriend4FewMinutes
We get used to novelty seeking so much that we find random browsing on the internet so much addictive. Meditation is decreasing novelty is the first step to control our addictions. We should try to observe the triggers and cravings and should try consciously let them pass away. If there is no dire need to access the internet, we should try to keep away from it. We unintentionally end up wasting a lot of time keeping our brains engaged in random browsing. We need to consciously make efforts to stop that. Also, most likely we got trapped into other addictions as well like sugar, shopping, games etc. If not internet, an addictive mind looks for something else to satisfy gain that shot of dopamine. So, try to slowly eliminate all kinds of addiction and meditation can be a good way to practice the same.
comfortableRainbow89
Honestly, you don’t. You need to accept that. Find other things to occupied yourself without having to look at the screen too much.
Anonymous
Try to look for activities that don't involve the internet such as walking outside or reading a book instead. Maybe you can set up a goal such as not looking at the internet in the morning or the afternoon or at night. You can limit your screen hours or just turn off your computer or phone. Maybe try a new hobby that doesn't involve using the internet such as exercising or talking to a family member or talking to someone on the phone. Tell yourself not to use the internet and set certain times at which you will use the internet and when you won't and try to keep to it.
Patientlylistening95
The internet, no doubt helps us get connected to the world in an intimate and more fulfilling way but cutting off becomes necessary when it forces you to disconnect from the here and now. I have been able to disconnect myself from using internet by uninstalling the app that were most time consuming and most importantly, I reflect on which of needs were getting satisfied by using the internet, one I figure that out I easily redirect to other activities which help me fulfill those needs. For example if my need to get attention is one thing that gets satisfied through the internet then I make sure that I spend enough time with my loved ones to keep myself from using the more unreliable source. This method has help me in the past and I do that even now when I try to detach myself from the virtual world.
Anonymous
I understand how you feel, especially during these quarantine times. It's hard to stay occupied and busy when you're home most of the time. However, the best way to stop yourself from using the internet excessively is to limit the time you use it and finding other ways to keep yourself busy. First of all, it helps a bunch to allot times of the day to use the internet (i.e. checking emails in the morning, doing work in the afternoon, and taking time to do other things in the day, etc.). Secondly, now is a great time to explore a new hobby or read a book (do things that you normally would not have the time to do!).