Is it normal to think about suicide everyday?

Lauren Abasheva, LMHC

A sex positive, and kink knowledgeable therapist with an open mindset and a clear understanding that we are all different.

healingKitty
Of course not. Human beings are programmed to love life. By nature we have the desire to live and have a sense of self-preservation. If that sense is gone for any reason, then we may be tempted to fulfill the desire to die.
GloriousWind
April 22nd, 2017 7:41am
No, it isn't. In case you do go through the stress of being suicidal every day, get help. There is no harm is talking it out with some. I've gone through thoughts of escaping quite often but then I've never thought of giving up on life, no matter how scared I am of it and no matter how daunting it gets. Talk it out. There maybe a better outcome in that, than suicide.
Anonymous
While sometimes people might think of things like this in passing, if you're thinking about it every day, it might be time to seek the help of a trusted adult. Sometimes still, those who think of it daily are still in passing, without any intention of carrying through (ideations). If you're feeling down most of the time, or start to think on this topic more seriously, it might be time to reach out.
Anonymous
It is not normal, and you should call a suicide hotline. People on 7 cups are not trained to handle suicidal talks. Please call 1-800-273 TALK (8255) or go here: http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/GetHelp/LifelineChat.aspx
evodang
Normalizing suicidal thoughts is a dangerous thing to do, and I would argue it is not normal to think of suicide everyday. If you are having recurring suicidal thoughts, it is best to seek professional help. When professional help is unvailable, I recommend seeking a counselor (through crisis chat, crisis hotline, etc).
apeironfrij
There was a period in my life where I was thinking about suicide almost every day, making very difficult to come up with any will to do something, constantly haunted by an overwhelming sense of decay and transience: "Why should I do that particular thing or why should act towards that particular goal if in a short time I won't exist anymore?" was the question I struggled to find an answer to. This thought, however, wasn't originated by a particular sad situation or depression, but rather by a nihilistic attitude, due to which I couldn't find meaning in anything (I thought it was like mocking myself to pretend things could have the "meaning" we decide to shed on them, as many existentialists suggest to do). By the time this question became less and less haunting, but I think has plaid an important role to make me understand myself better and point out what I think is really important in my life, removing all those things that do not make any sense to me.
Anonymous
It depends. If you’re getting help, no. If you’re all alone, yes. If you’re receiving medical attention you shouldn’t be having these thoughts everyday anymore, it means your treatment isn’t working. If you aren’t seeking for help, yes. It may get worse, that’s why you always need to reach out for help before it’s too late.
1997Turtle
No, most definately not. Unfortuantely it does happen and that is hard, but you can learn to cope and counsellors can sometimes help.
MachineGKyla
No, it's not. Yes we all go through those thoughts, but not everyday. I personally go through this. You should start by thinking good thoughts. Replace all the bad ones with good ones
Anonymous
I don't think it's normal, but it happens. Depression sucks. It's a word that gets thrown around WAY too easily. Lots of mentally healthy people will claim to be depressed, when really they're just experiencing what is normal human emotions, and they're back to 'normal' fairly quickly.Even if you think you'll never act on your thoughts, this is not something to take lightly. You really, really need to seek a therapist and discuss these thoughts and how to deal with them. So, no, it is not normal, and it is very dangerous. Find someone ASAP to get help. Look for a good therapist for sure, and find a psychiatrist that will work with you on medication that can help.
breeeeee
It can be normal to think of suicide daily - especially during tough periods in our lives, although it isn't healthy. Finding the right support and resources to get you back on track feeling yourself and positive again is really important - starting with the listeners here on 7cups is a great start. Remember that you are not alone, and that sometimes you may feel hopeless but that doesn't mean that you are helpless (or hopeless ;). Support or treatment for suicidal thoughts is different for everyone, so don't feel defeated if you don't feel improvements straight away - like anytime you are unwell with the flu sometimes you take to time to heal.
YourLif3HasAPurpose
No, this is absolutely not normal and if you are having these thoughts daily please seek help. If you are constantly thinking about suicide and it is interfering with your daily life then i suggest going to therapy where you can get professional help. :)
StoicEar
Yes, it is totally normal to be an existential nihilist. But it isn't normal to use that excuse to not evolve or not contribute to physical world under those suicidal thoughts. there has been some great philosophers, artists, writers like Charles Bukowski, Albert Camus who constantly contemplated suicide but their works now inspire all of us. We must all strive to make use of our emptiness and convert it into something of value for others. :)
genuineMist47
Sometimes, when you're going through a really low point in your life, your thoughts can begin to go to that dark place. It's a hard place to get out of, as I know. I have tried to kill myself 3 times in my life, and I'm 24. I won't tell you to remember all the people you'd leave behind, because that can be extremely difficult in the moment. The important thing is to identify why YOU want to live, whether it's for your family, your friends, your hamster, whatever. Stay strong. You can get through this
SeekApotheosis50
Suicidal thoughts can be a normal response if your life circumstances are really stressful. What they may be signalling is that you need support. Don't ever hesitate to reach out!
bgdave
In 2015 I thought about it everyday and eventually it landed my in a psych ward on a pink slip. I am thankful I no longer think of it as an option ever. I still struggle with depression and terrible feelings of loneliness but I try to remember that everything is temporary and somehow and sometime it will change. My dear Grandmother used to tell me “this too shall pass”. She was an incredibly strong woman born in 1914 and she experienced much adversity in her life. If you think about “it” everyday by all means please seek professional help because you are not alone and there is help and hope. Never give up!
CLMarshal57
Hun, the simple answer is no. You should never, EVER feel that suicide is the only answer. If you believe this, then please I beg of you, talk to me or someone else. IF there is no one in your life you can talk to face to face, then I will gladly step up. Don't go thinking that suicide is the answer. Find things you are looking forward to in the future. Hold these close to heart and think about them each time you get close to ending it all. If you commit suicide, you'll miss flying cars and the next Superbowl winner. You'll miss seeing the cutest dog ever. You'll miss so much. Don't commit suicide. I'm here for you.
Historyman93
Suicide is the final step for many so it is worrying. Thinking about it though is an opportunity to realise that you need help and support and knowing you have to do everything to change what is happening in your life
oceanmichelle96
I don't think its normal to think about suicide everyday since it does demotivate you. Suicide is a very sensitive topic and being in that state is something your should be very aware of. People who are suicidal had enough of everything and they think that death is the only way. Remember death is a permanent solution for a temporary problem. Things will get better, never lose hope. We are always here to listen.
Anonymous
No, it is not normal to be thinking about suicide everyday, try getting professional help about that.(:
Anonymous
It's very common for people to think about suicide every so often, especially in hard times, but not daily. This is a sign of depression, and you should definitely talk to someone about it.
thoughtfulPassion85
Suicide is the ultimate hopeless act. I think of suicidal thoughts the same way I thought when I thought that my friends weren't playing fairly. Normal is seeing all the alternatives. I think it's a decision you make with your team. As long as there is rational hope suicide is not a rational thought..
Anonymous
It is not normal to think about suicide everyday. Anyone who goes through that everyday needs help..
YourFriendBlake
It is normal to think about suicide and what would happen if you weren't there. The National Suicide Prevention Hotline can help you overcome those thoughts. But, it is when the thoughts become distracting, or you genuinely want to kill yourself that thing become an emergency.
AnthonyNW29
Maybe not normal, but understandable if you're experiencing symptoms of depression and/or anxiety. The best thing to do is to surround yourself with distractions - take the dog for a walk, review old scrapbooks or photo albums, etc. Sooner or later, you'll recognise what triggers your thoughts and become used to 'heading it off at the pass' so to speak. Obviously if you feel you are in real need of assistance or someone to talk to outside of what we can offer here on 7 Cups then you should try the suicide prevention website and relevant hotline - head over to suicide.org.
jxpiter
I wouldn't say it's 'normal'. Not everyone thinks about suicide every day but people who experience depression or any kind of other mental health issues can experience suicidal thoughts. These thoughts can come and go. We're not making any plans and they come and go. However, if you feel like you're putting a plan together: IT'S REALLY IMPORTANT TO REACH OUT! My point is: it's 'normal' to think about suicide every day as long as they come and go. However, I strongly recommend searching professional help!
JasonWonders
Well this ones more personal, I've been told it's not normal and I've experienced weeks where I haven't myself. So no it's not normal to want to hurt yourself you think about hurting yourself everyday. It's somthing you should take very seriously. It's important you communicate with people around you, that can be the hardest.
TaranWanderer
If you mean "common", then YES! Normal is subjective, for someone with depression, yes that would be normal, but it might not be for someone else. But in any case, it is extremely normal, to the point where a majority of people go through thoughts of suicide for stretches at a time, some longer than others.
Anonymous
Depending on your situation it can be more normal to think about suicide every day, but not act upon it. A lot of people are unhappy with their lives and think about suicide because of it, but plenty of people think about suicide and realise they want to change their lives around, so that will pass.
SilentDreamer712
There is a difference between thinking about it and thinking about "doing" it. Thinking about it may be when you are thinking about how people do it and why. But thinking about suicide is not something to do. Whether it is normal or not is debatable because wanting to escape is common. But, it is not right. Life is about living and not giving up. If you are considering suicide, try talking to someone who would be understanding and who you feel would help you feel better.