What impact does/did depression have on your life?

Jessica Kell, LPC-S NCC CDC-I

Life spares no one hardship. It's why I offer skills, tools, & wisdom gathered in 10+yrs. of work as a Therapist to help you navigate yours. Lets do this together! I can help.

Anonymous
Depression reduces my energy, drive, and focus. It feels like it changes not just how I feel, or what I can do, but who I am.
someoneelsewhere
When you are in depression or have started to get depressed, you find everything meaningless and even the thing you loved the most seems like a waste. You would start to get detached from the people, friends, family, feelings... There are times when you want to just live, and depression is the opposite of that where you just don't.
HelenWeber23
It made me stronger. I would have died a long time ago, if I given up, but I didn't, so I'm still alive and I really hope to stay alive as long as possible, even through I'm struggling with a stage IV lung cancer. So I can say, deppression kept me alive, because I didn't give up :)
AnnieAnne
As a person who had to deal with depression in the past, I know that it's hard to conciliate it with everyday life. People expect you to get things done and smile when you feel like staying in your room all day,wanting to die.
Dailydaydreama
Depression can be so heavy it's something that can make life feel like it has no point ! Fighting it can feel so hard that it on it's own leaves you feeling like you want to give up ! Depression kept me in a dark corner without words :( no pill fixed me it was the magic of the sun each morning and all the gift from Mother Earth :)
ConallBranagin
Depression has taught me how better to understand and relate to others. Depression allowed me to experience things and sort through how to cope and how to better help others going through similar situations.
stephx
I was in university when my depression became too severe to continue. I struggle through a semester, barely passing my classes, and then decided I needed to take some time off. I engaged in harmful behaviours, and I questioned whether it was worth it to continue on. I made the decision to share my struggles with my mother, and she helped me get in touch with multiple mental health care professionals, thus beginning my journey to recovery. This was two years ago, and everyday I'm thankful for how far I've come. I'm back in school, close to graduation, with a fantastic job and wonderful friends and family who have supported me every step of the day. Getting help is absolutely worth it. I was lucky enough to have a mom who cared enough to help me on my way, but even if you don't have that kind of support system, reach out for health. You are worth it.
Anonymous
Suddenly Life seems challenging and kind of dull. You seem to lose interest in your favourite things. Nothing seems to excite you. You seem to constantly be in a cloud of hopelessness. And hence, you feel a little lonely and feel nobody understands you because they are not going through the same things. And so, it affects your interpersonal relationships, efficiency at work or studies. And so, as your performance may go down and you feel you're not doing your best, you start feeling bad about yourself and you seem to lose faith in yourself and it can take a lot of effort to gain that back.
Anonymous
I never realized I had depression until I read that it can just be a feeling of "nothingness" When I read that and looked more into it I realized that I might be Depressed. I had lived most of my life(since around middle school) depressed and somewhat scared of talking about it because I thought I was crazy. Along with depression I also have very mild social anxiety. On a good day it wouldn't really affect me because I could overcome it very easily. However on a normal day with depression I just couldn't find the motivation to overcome it.
neverletlifetakeyourspark
Depression once had a large impact on my life. It got to the point where I quit eating and self-harm was my only escape. I blocked out the rest of the world, and stayed awake at night, thinking about every mistake I have ever made. It got so bad that I tried to take my own life away. I was put in the hospital, where I realized my actions were affecting my family, too. I was put on medication and always had someone watching me. Eventually the voices disappeared, and I was myself again. I regret self-harming, but it shows that I fought the battle, and I won. I am reminded by it everyday when I see the scars. But there is no reason to be ashamed. About 350 million people worldwide have depression. You're not alone.
Anonymous
Depression caused me to become more reclusive. I couldn't help but feel that everything was wrong with myself, and that I wouldn't amount to anything in life. It's a terrible feeling, but luckily there are many resources available to help anyone in need.
Anonymous
Depression has hindered and in some cases stolen opportunities and as well as damage family and intimate relationships for me.
SmileYoureBeautiful
Depression is and has been a large part of my life for over 3 years. It has caused me to do things I wouldnt usually do, and think irrationally. I urge anyone who thinks they are suffering depression to seek help :)
EmmaV
It can vary from person to person but for me I really lost motivation, like I couldn't start assignments and I really just didn't want to go anywhere. Also I was isolating myself from my friends, not because I didn't want them around but i couldn't find the motivation to go out and meet. it wasn't until I had a complete breakdown in my biology class where my teacher became really concerned and I realised that I needed help to change the way i was reacting.
Ari
It helped me a lot. Not because "pain" it's good and all, but because it teached me how truly reality is. And it teached me to see the world from a deeper point of view.
Esmerelda27
My first girlfriend had manic depression, which meant it was hard for us to function as a couple. We had to learn to balance trying to help her and watching out for my own mental health. It would have been very easy to forget that whilst depression needs support and care, it is alright and recommendable to take time for yourself.
CourtneyAnnTaylor
Depression had a huge impact on my life. Depression made me want to be alone and away from everyone all of the time. It makes you want to be isolated but the more you are isolated, the worse you feel, eventually you are pulled into the cycle in which you feel like you can't escape from.
Anonymous
Depression made me appreciate what I had in life. Not in terms of material possessions, but it made me see that the people around me and my environment overall is something that, no matter how bad, can be interpreted as good. Optimism is a very difficult state of mind to be in when depressed, but it's exactly what shines the light on many things in our lives that we might have taken for granted.
Anonymous
It made me into a person i never wished to be, angry selfish, not kind and caring, an mean person, i was treated badly, and had bleak outlooks, until i found freinds, and my old soul awoke.
Aflower
I was depressed when I was back in primary school. I felt like I was just not a good daughter to my parents. I hadn't friends, and was always alone, because I didn't want to have people around me, because I thougzt I was a loser, a fail. That actually made me very sad. It was hard to get out of this phase, but my primary teacher gave me a lot of support and had always an open ear for me. That helped me a lot. That showed me that the best thing to fight depression, is to let people help you and that is what I try to do. Because I know how it feels to be like all alone by yourself.
AnnieElen
I shut down completely. I always broke down into tears, and became very rebellious. The reason I wanted to be a listener is so I could help people with an issue like mine, or prevent it from happening to them
jessie15
Depression had made me realize many things about myself i had not realized before. I went through an awful time and came out victorious. I am here to share my stories with those who may need a friend or comfort.
colorfulcrocs
When I got bullied in school for the person I was. I wasn't like the other "normal" kids. I pushed everything away from me and started to get depressed.
StormWilliams
Depression has days where it still destroys my life. It is constantly in the back of my mind and tends to influence the choices that i make and the things that I do. One trigger can cause me to feel down or even suicidal for weeks.
lavendersilk
Depression really has affected my life greatly. I used to be so happy and lively, but I just kind of became quiet and secluded. It's impacted me in good and bad ways. I found out who my real friends are and who I can trust, but it also worsened things in the fact that depression is never really good. I found a great boyfriend who relates pretty well so that has helped a bit.
AdriannaBanana27
It made me an extreme introvert. I was also very moody and just unenthusiastic with life and people.
Mahoney
It took a lot from me, but in the end it made me stronger. People with depression: You are warriors!
mahoganyecho
It destroyed my life. I was not able to do anything because I didn't enjoy anything anymore, but I started to like things again after a while, and now I can do much more. The only thing I can't do is school because it's boring and I have a big problem with the education system, but that's a story for another time.
Anonymous
It... changed me completely. Chances are it will affect me for the rest of my life, and I'll never fully be rid of it, but It's an experience that maybe made me the better man or the least, I can't say. I do understand that you can't turn back time, it's just better to forgive, but never forget.
Transcendence
My depression was born out of dissapointment of how my life turned out almost three years ago. It ravaged my grades and dropped my average by a substantial amount, turned me into a negative person and more importantly absolutely demolished my self-esteem. I still struggle with the negative view of life I have and my self-esteem could be better, but overall I think it developed me into a caring and empathic person.