What impact does/did depression have on your life?

Katherine Aucoin, Transpersonal Counselling Psychology

I offer you compassion and support on your unique journey. I look forward to working with you to heal your emotional wounds to find more freedom and joy.

Asparagus515
To some extent, depression has an impact on pretty much every part of my life. It's a filter that everything I see, think, hear, or feel passes through. It blocks out the good and emphasizes the bad. Mostly, being depressed just makes it really hard to gather up the energy to do anything.
Anonymous
Struggling with depression led me to seek out way to change the way I feel--first cutting, then drugs and alcohol as I got older. Once I suffered enough to become willing to change, I turned to AA, and have been sober for 1-1/2 years. Being free from the snare of substance abuse has allowed me to pursue healthier means for dealing with my depression.
musicalMelon71
Depression has had an impact on my life since 2010, when my birth mother died of stage 4 gastric cancer. I was only 13 at the time I think and getting ready to turn 14. I was so devastated and I still am.
crlody
I was a mess for a long time. I was not functional on an emotional level. I was verbally and emotionally abused at home growing up and then bullied at school and so had no self-esteem. It affected my work and personal life because anytime something happened I took it personally - I perceived it as evidence that I was inherently screwed up and would cycle through catatonia and crying all the time. It was difficult to concentrate on anything or find enjoyment in anything. I wasn't motivated to do anything. I decided I didn't want to live like that anymore about 7 years ago and it's taken me a lot of time and work to get to where I am now but I can say I am a lot more functional on an emotional level now. When things happen I no longer let them destroy me emotionally and am much more calmer. It's not easy, but it's possible if you stay persistent and are determined.
enchantingWind58
When I was heavily depressed I didn't see anything else. Just the small dark world I was living in. I have almost won the battle and those past years have made me into a strong person, who is also capable of understanding others. Everyone can win depression.
CupOfMint
Depression makes it difficult to interact with others as I would want to and to live my life with less pain...
Anonymous
It may take a toll in the relationship with other and also it may hamper your career and may lead to many physical problems
Anonymous
I never wanted to go outside or eat or talk to anybody. I wanted to limit human contact as much as possible.
juss
well its not the best feeling in the world and all it did for me was just keep me back from the world and well being depressed isnt fun and it did a pretty be number on me when i lost my mother and sister and it just made me want to end it all but i found a better purpose in life to overcome the feeling of depressiion
Anonymous
Depression used to have a huge impact on my life. I used to use depression as an "excuse" to not do things. I would always say things like "I don't want to because I have depression." Now I have learned that yes I have a mental illness but no it is not an excuse. I may feel like I want to lay in bed all day but I can't let those feelings of worthlessness and sadness stop me from going out into the world and doing good.
laurlistens
Depression has not been an easy thing to overcome. After 5 years of "dealing with it" I can still say I have not over come it, and I do not see myself doing so in the next few years. Though it is not as bad as it was. It just made me realize how strong I have to be and gave me a new obstacle to get through. It is different for everyone, and it changed my life completely.
ahmadsadiq
Depression was my weakness. It consumed me and left me vulnerable. But I have overcome it by faith and willpower. Remember, anything is possible.
SilentListener
The impact was destructive. Living with depression is not easy itself. I also used to be suicidal and spent some time in the psychiatric hospital. But we all have to hold on and dont give up.
StarrTayy0711
Depression has had a drastic impact on my life. But, being on here makes it much more easier to cope with the depression because I'm helping other people that are in the same shoes as I am.
Anonymous
It's still having an impact on my life. Some days of course, it's harder than other days. I had to put school on a hold. Have trouble containing relationships. Everyone is telling me how things get better. But as others may know. When you're depressed, you don't believe that. You think "for some people maybe, but not for me". Some days are, indeed, better then others. But, it's tiring, cause you never know when the bad day is comming and in my case, I'm just waiting for it. Anyway. It's still having an impact and I think it'll keep having an impact.
Anonymous
Depression has made a huge impact on my life , sometimes it's really hard to live and sometimes it's essy ,it makes me sad but sometimes I'm okay, it makes me not want to do things I used to want to do .
setmefreeletmebe
I got anorexia, lost many of my hairs, got aggressive. Wasn't so nice. I hated myself and all tries to made this better didn't help.
blissfulAngel
It made me feel like i worth nothing,considerable decreased my mood influencing my relationship with others.
StayBrave
It was pretty big, i would cry to sleep every night. self-harm. my grades dropped tremendously. but now that im better i know it made me a better person.
aBeautifulMind58
Depression has ruled much of my life. I withdrew from everything, stopped talking to my friends and family, and became self-destructive. I was too stubborn, too tired, and too depressed to let therapy work for me. It was like everything that made me up was drained and replaced with cement. I struggled with self-harm and was in and out of hospitals due to attempts made on my life. Fortunately, I survived each attempt and am here to share my story. I still struggle with depression and all of the other things that come with it, but I've gotten to the point where I try to accept help and support, so it's a little easier. And it gets a little easier every day.
Proximity1991
Depression spiralled my life out of control, every sense of control I had was slowly slipping out of my grasp. I would not talk to anyone and that had a compounding effect as people wouldn't be aware of what was happening, less chance for help. My chest would physically hurt and tears would roll down my face.
Dan21
A very restrictive one, my depression never got to the point where it was dangerous for me but it definitely stopped me from doing what I wanted. I would never go out, I would never treat myself, I would never think I was good enough for a relationship, it stopped me being the person I wanted to be for many years.
Anonymous
I have a close friend with depression. Actually I have more than one. All of them mean so much to me and they are all such special people who don't let their depression define them, its just apart of them.
Bennylovesyou
I lost a lot of interest in things i used to enjoy. I became negative all the time and sometimes i didn't want to wake up. I even stopped liking my best friend.
Anonymous
Depression is impacting my life negatively. It took away my social life and making everything seem a lot harder than it actually is. I have no energy to do anything and it's made me very suicidal. I'm trying to change it though, by talking with my therapist and I'm going to try to get a new medication (because the one I'm taking now, doesn't help at all).
HorizonofHope
At first it made my life harder, it took away my motivation for pretty much everything. Saying it was difficult would be the understatement of the century- however, I learned to control it rather than letting it control me. Now I'm learning to change the thoughts that used to put me through depression into thoughts that will help motivate me and push me towards a better tomorrow. When I think depressing things, I step outside of my thoughts and examine them with the 5 W's (who/what/where etc...) and it helps.
Anonymous
It had a positive impact in the end, it made me wise up and stop pretending everything is all okay. I realized that i was faking my feelings to impress the world, i found out that i didn't have to do that. I grew up more in the course of that depression year than i had during 4 years of high school.
TheBeautifulConstellation
I suffered from depression for over a year during school. It influenced my grades (I could do much better), my hobbies (I felt like doing nothing, so I just wasted my time) and my relationship with people I care(d) about - I had a difficult time with my family and I hurt and pushed away many people who cared about me.
Anonymous
Depression was very hard on my life, I stopped caring about people and things, I kind of shut down. I felt like I was worthless and pathetic, and that I'd never go anywhere in life, I was so glad when I finally starting overcoming depression.
Anonymous
Depressions is a huge impact on my life. My life felt like it was run by it. Like that black dog constantly by your side. I'm still going through it, but helping others is keeping me going. I hope that I will be able to manage it much better and I know reaching out to people can be of great benefit and that I am not alone :)