Why do I feel so alone?

115 Answers.
braveNight89
November 1st, 2015 9:08pm

Sometimes I feel alone because I don't know who to talk to.. Because I am alone.. because I feel as though no one understands me. Usually this is associated with my depression but at times I really just don't have anyone around I can talk to and I don't want to bug anyone either so I usually stay to myself. I don't like feeling alone all of the time, sometimes its okay because it means I get time and space to myself. But sometimes I just want to be in someone else's company they don't even have to say anything, just knowing that they are there for me if I need them is enough. I just want someone there who will understand, who will not judge, who doesn't mind me for who I am.. no matter how odd I can be.

Want to better understand yourself?

Take this emotional wellness test! Less than 2 minutes.
ChocoholicMouse

Looking for answers on the internet...we've all been there. I just want you to know you don't have to figure this out on your own. I know this might not be something you want to discuss with your friends or family, but if you join this site you can get free, anonymous support from trained listeners and a huge support community. Nobody is here to judge.

SJ1995

Feel alone because the person you share everything with once goes away half of your life vanishes...

sharkfriend
August 23rd, 2015 12:13am

People who often feel alone tend to isolate themselves. Isolating is usually a coping skill that people do when they don't think others can help them.

HumanMechanic

It is one of the most Human things to feel alone. Loneliness is something no human being can escape. We all feel it. Some more than others. The good thing? If you feel it, it means you haven't surrounded yourself with a fake and surreal life. The people in your life right now actually matter and care about you. I'd suggest spending more time with them :)

Anonymous

I guess all of us feel alone at some point...it's easy to get lost in your problems and not understand your emotions , the main thing to remember when feeling this way is that your never on your own , the listeners here at 7cups will always be on hand to help you out... stay positive!

Tomislav

Loneliness is not something that is external, it comes from within. You can be in the middle of a carnival and still feel lonely. Why are you feeling alone? Are you talking much to people? Are you getting enough love? Or is it physical love that is the issue? Maybe you are craving for a different type of interaction? With animals? I have a cat and sometimes i just want to becwith him even though i can talk to my friends. I can recommend a book to you called 'Grace Of Solitude' from Valerio Albisetti. It really holds many answers how to cope with loneliness. Feeling alone is not unnatural but if it prolongues, can affect mental and even physical health at some point. People are social beings. Hope this helps, dear questioner :)

Anonymous

I know how you may feel. Sometimes this feeling comes from thinking that nobody understands you, or that you have nobody you can talk to. Reach out, don't ignore your feelings. Try making new friends, talk to others, join groups or activities that interest you. Even though you may feel alone, you are never alone. There is always someone you'll be able to talk to, whether it being on here, face to face, on the phone, etc.

whimsicalPeace69

Many times I feel alone is because I am depressed or upset about a situation. I may feel people do not understand me or what I am going through. Or sometimes I feel I am the only one going through a situation. In reality, it is the perception of the situation that makes a person feel so alone.

Anonymous

Maybe because you don't have a person who you can speak and tell her how do you feel really. You must go out and meet new people for have a little fun in your life!

Anonymous

Why do I feel alone? There are many reasons. I guess it's not exactly because I am alone. I have my family. But I don't have the one person I need in my life. That person is gone and is never coming back. I'm alone because this person took a piece of me with them. A piece that I will never get back.

VisibleForEveryone

Human beings are naturally social animals. When we find ourselves becoming isolated, we should take that as a warning sign that we are turned against ourselves in some basic way. If not already there, we are on a path toward feeling bad, lonely, introverted or even depressed. When we start feeling isolated, we may have thoughts of not belonging or of feeling rejected by others. What we overlook, however, is that when we are alone, we are often in the company of our worst enemy- the onewithin ourselves. An isolated space is the perfect breeding ground for negative, self-critical thoughts. These thought patterns make up the “critical inner voice (CIV),” an internalized enemy that leads to self-destructive thought processes and behaviors. This inner critic feeds into our feelings of isolation, encouraging us to avoid others and remain in a lonely state.

OverPouringCup

I feel alone when I feel disconnected with the world, may I be in crowd or with loved ones or alone. It might be some thing same. Being disconnected makes one feel alone.

Anonymous

Sometimes it feels as if the world is against you but it isn't. Whether you believe it or not, there are people out there who care about you. Your parents or teachers or friends. There are always people there for you.

CourageousCupcake07

On my 25th birthday , nobody remembered , I kept expecting a surprise party or a lavish candle light dinner. I honestly thought it was a sick joke , but by 9pm I realized it wasn't happening. I sat in my bedroom crying with a migraine, and felt so I insignificant. I hit my rock bottom that night , but it was also the start of an epic adventure , Becoming my very own fan club. I sat upright and decided then and there , I was going to fall inlove with me , and learn to love my own company. I realized I am an awesome human being and NOBODY has the power to make me feel anything I dont want to , even when Its me putting me down. Its been almost a year now , and I have pushed past my comfort zone and got to know how special I am , yes we do need to hear certain things from others but honestly all the answers are within you ... You are never alone when you are you're own fan club.

Anonymous

Often we feel isolated, regardless of if we are around people are not. It can be really difficult to connect with people on a level that makes us feel less alone. There are many reasons that one may feel this way, and I'm sorry that you're struggling with this right now.

WonderfulHero40

Sometimes feeling alone is the worst feeling. I remember when I felt alone the best thing I could do for myself was distract my mind with games, music, etc. Also thinking about the positive things I had going in my life helped over come this emotion

Anonymous

Surround yourself with the people that you love and who love you. Hanging around with people that treat you like dirt under their shoe is nobody worth hanging around with. If you feel like you have nobody to hang around with, perhaps it is time that you meet new people. There will always be someone out there who will thoroughly enjoy your company.

heavenlyEagle22

I believe everyone feel alone at some point in there lives, i feel alone at times because at a time i may not have anyone around, anyone to communicate with, anyone i can hug and hold close or just laugh. Sometimes just thinking of some memories loneliness sneaks up on you and you fall into a sudden sadness.

Anonymous

That's nothing I can answer for you. Loneliness is a common feeling when you don't have many friends, family members, or anyone to talk to.

lovelyOcean15

When I feel alone that must be the time I feel lonely or down. But I would try on something to get me distracted like yoga, some funny variety shows or hang out with friends etc. these help me better.

Legionnaire1

Sometimes when I feel alone, I try to make engaging with others a priority. Everyone is different of course, for me I enjoy being around people. I will make a point to make time in my life to schedule being with friends whether it's people coming over for a glass of wine and discussions or a board game night.

Anonymous

I have a hard time fitting in with people at my school and have to pretend to be somone i clearly am not as people will judge me for being who i really am. . . its hard to be someone your not when no one you know is anything like your true self.

YourFutureBestFriend

Maybe you are depressed, but you're not sure of it yet. I think you should take the tests and exercises on your growth path to see.

Anonymous

Loneliness often needs to be cured with human interaction. Not just any human interaction, but contact with supportive people you enjoy to be around. Maybe try joining clubs, going out and socialising more and see if that makes a difference.

Lovepeace174

Sometimes it can feel like you're alone. But there's always someone willing to help you. Either a friend, family member, listener, counselor. There's always someone. Always have hope.

Anonymous

Sometimes people can fell alone even if they are actually not. This is because of condition which cause us to fell lonely. We just must look around us more carefully and notice people there for us

Anonymous

This can be many reasons! Maybe not having the right friends, Not being around enough people. Try new things! Do things you've wanted, like bucket list! Start a new years resolution! Do things that make you happy or things you've never tried!!

VladZoran

It could be from always being there for others but when you need them the most they were not there for you, causing disappointment and feelings of being all on your own.

Anonymous

i feel alone when someone who is very close to me break my trust and faith on them. It is very difficult to understand, why always me? definitely something is wrong in me that's why always wrong happening with me.

BlueMondayz

Because in my memory of the life, the times of unhappiness and feeling alone have far outlasted the brief moments of joy which, with each passing event seem to become more clear and positive, become that much harder to take when they are torn from my life. The advice on the mental health page focuses on these "brief periods of loss or loneliness" that strike us down. Most of my life has been these feelings. The real kicker is that at heart I am an idealist and see so much profound beauty and potential in this world and in the lives of others around me and yet every time I try to fix the mistakes of the past or try for a better future for myself I am crushed. After 36 years I am tired. I'm just tired and I don't want to fight again.

Anonymous

The feeling of loneliness can be caused by lack of good friends you can talk to or just being introverted and keeping yourself distant from your friends for a long period of time, so if you feel like that, talk to parent, go out with friends your friends so you don't lose contact or talk to your therapist.

colorfulHero34
August 22nd, 2015 5:23pm

Everybody could fell so alone in their life. That is life stream. If you feel so alone and you don't want to talk somebody. Please read book that is about your problem and you can understand you are not alone in this big world.

Anonymous

Sometimes we can be in a crowded room and feel alone other times it maybe because we isolate ourselves from friends or family. Sometimes it is ok to want to be alone but always remeber to do things you love so you do not feel alone.

Freedom4UrSouL

We feel alone because we are human. It's normal to feel this way. So when we do feel alone the first thing to remember is that, we are not alone feeling this way and, like everything, it will pass. We need this solitude to reflect on our real self sometimes (not society's self) and make the appropriate changes to better "I" first. Glad to read you're human. B-Blessed

Its hard to know exactly why one feels alone. It could be due to many reasons in your life. If you are experiencing difficulty you can always come to 7cups of tea to talk with one of the many listeners. Or you could perhaps look into you local community for volunteer opportunities to help extend your time to others. Including Nursing homes, hospitals, churches, or animal shelters.

Kaysha

Feeling alone can be brought on by mental illness, or just lack of friends and compassion from others.

Nemanjica

Do you go to school/ work? Do you talk to people? How many friends do you have? Any relationship partner? Do you have family?

Anonymous

Because I haven't come to accept who I am and my idiosyncrasies so I look for company with other people

Anonymous

Sometimes when we feel alone, it doesn't always mean we ARE alone. Human beings have a tendency to let one thing bring them down even if there is a million other things going right for them, and lots of people out there supporting them. Look around you and see how many people are there for you.

William0

Feeling alone is more a desire for a need to be alone. Sometimes we must go within ourselves in order to see who we are currently. Being alone is never wrong or right, sometimes being alone might be the answer to a problem. Remember to always ask yourself, "Who can I call?" and if calling someone isn't something one might do, ask yourself "Why?". It's always best to act on our words rather than constantly questioning ourselves. While questions do lead to answers, sometimes answers lead to more questions, and those questions lead to real answers.

Anonymous

At times I understand that you may feel that the world is against you. That there is no one who supports you but believe me that it isn't that way. You are to alone, you have me.

MiraculousShiny62

When we start feeling isolated, we may have thoughts of not belonging or of feeling rejected by others. What we overlook, however, is that when we are alone, we are often in the company of our worst enemy- the onewithin ourselves. An isolated space is the perfect breeding ground for negative, self-critical thoughts. These thought patterns make up the “critical inner voice (CIV),” an internalized enemy that leads to self-destructive thought processes and behaviors. This inner critic feeds into our feelings of isolation, encouraging us to avoid others and remain in a lonely state.

silverLove42

U'r not alone. I am available for u. Whenever u need someone to talk to, contact me. I'll do my best to help u

Anonymous

You are never alone on here. You can always connect to someone, and if you ever feel alone in real life, just remember that someone will always love you.

FlowerChild101

Sometimes I feel alone because I think nobody will ever understand me or what I'm going through. But putting yourselves in other people's shoes help understand them better :)

Anonymous

You haven't talked to anybody about your problems and/or issues yet. You still have them on your chest.

Pr0Pancakes

Feeling alone is a natural thing to do in certain points in life. Sometimes experiences make us feel this way or nothing at all. If you feel this way I encourage you to perhaps join a club, talk to friends, invite friends to events or make plans with them. Even making plans with family can be a great way to reconnect and start feeling better. There are many people that do not want you to feel alone and are here for you no matter what. For example us here at 7 Cups of Tea, our listeners are definitely here to help, listen, and talk.

honeykah

I feel so alone for unknown reason. Even though I have many friends but still I felt like alone. And maybe because I felt like the world just turned its back at me.

Anonymous

You probably have depression. Try going to a doctor or someone for help. That's why you feel sad and alone.

Anonymous

Sometimes even when you are surrounded by others you might feel alone. Maybe it's because they just don't understand, or maybe it's because you are afraid to trust someone enough to let them in.

Anonymous

You feel so alone because you feel that you do not belong. You do belong.

NoraHelp

Possibly because no one around you seems to understand you in a personal level. There might be thousands of friends around you but no one knows how you feel.

Natalie

You might not be surrounded by the right people. Maybe you should take a look at who you're including in your life.

Lauralie

You might feel alone because you' haven't been spending enough time with friends or family, or because you are suffering from anxiety attachment. You should spend time with friends when you can, but know that you can trust others to always be there when you need them.

YayyySphere

Feeling alone is different from lonliness. Feeling alone usually means that you are physically isolated by yourself, being only with yourself, while lonliness can also be due to similar reason, or that it could be due to feeling nobody understanding you completely.

bedelia

You feel so alone because others don't take their time to listen to you and they fail to understand and accept you as you are. The lack of communication and emphaty makes you feel like you're the only one that is going through a hard time and that there is no one to support you. But you're not alone, if you look for help you will come across people that would be willing to discover your real self, to show you emphaty and to offer you a better understanding of yourself and the people around you. We all go through hard times but we must not let that discourage us.

Anonymous

Maybe it's because of the people around you that makes you feel isolated from them. You may have been comfortable with yourself

littlekitten7890

I've been working here for quiet a bit, and have been told that im good at this. Im not old, but im not young either, and im just right.

Anonymous

You've lost your wi-fi connection that you have with your family,peers, friends just for a moment. It's like someone pulled the plug of your internet modem, all it takes for your connection with others to come back is simply just put the plug back in. It's hard though especially when the reason why you've lost it was because of unforeseen circumstances, it's just the way the world works.

miraculousLight40

Sometimes, you feel alone because you have no one to connect with. You need to find someone who you can talk to without feeling embarrassed... 7 Cups of Tea is a great way to alleviate your loneliness.

Recent Answers
Anonymous

I feel alone most of the time. I don't know what to do that time. It was like everything is blank and no one is there. There is no one who can understand you.. everyone have issue in life there is someone who need you.. make yourself happy with others happiness.. your family is always there for you who cares for you. So being strong nd make yourself strong

HealingMoon31

I've felt alone because I've stopped myself from reaching out to those who love me. I've assumed that they don't care about me or that listening to me will simply burden them. I've felt alone in a crowd before because I've felt like the group don't really like me and I'm forcing my company upon them. None of my assumptions and beliefs were true, but I felt like they were. I made myself alone. I would distance myself from others because i thought they didn't like me and as a result, I came across to people as unapproachable. This discouraged people from starting conversations with me, and because of that, i became even more conscience that no one liked me. It was a downward spiral.

AlwaysHereForYou321

Sometimes, it can be because you feel neglected by family or friends. We all need to some to listen to us and be there for us.

William95

You feel alone because you feel like no one is there for you. You are invisible or a tiny spectacle of dust. You have friends, but they are not your friends. You feel silenced and forgotten. You feel left-out and alienated. Your family barely talks to you or doesn't understand your situation or what you are feeling. Your friends just give you drugs or don't want to deal with it. You have no one else, but only you. The very thought of that existing in your mind makes you feel alone.

sachinthomasofficial

More often, it's the lack of understanding and non-judgmental people in our life that makes us feel alone.

guyinasuit

Sometimes we can feel like we're alone, but that really doesn't mean that we are - there are always people around, especially on 7 cups, just sometimes in the moment, we don't feel so great, and so it feels as though no one is there for us.

Anonymous

Sometimes you may feel alone because you have recently been in a fight with a friend, or joined/started something new like changed schools and your body hasn't been able to adapt tot he new change!

enchantingSky79

The need for acceptance and understanding that is not met leads to loneliness. It is normal to feel alone, it is part of being human.

Anonymous
December 3rd, 2015 7:39am

Sometimes we can feel so alone because it can feel like nobody understands our problems. People to not typically talk about their personal issues on an every day basis and so it can be hard to feel like there is anyone else out there in the world who is suffering as much as you are.

Anonymous
December 2nd, 2015 6:17pm

Sometimes we feel alone when we're not socialising enough, or talking very much, which may seem obvious, but could easily be overlooked when we get wrapped up in work/etc. Taking time to set aside and reach out to friends/relatives, or even find someone online to chat with can alleviate these feelings. You can also try and make plans with friends etc, even if it's just going to lunch or for a walk.

Kaylatiger14

You're no alone. There are more people there for you than you think. Chin up! Don't feel so bad about yourself.

Anonymous

Maybe because you're surrounding yourself with negative people or stuck in boring activities .. Try to do something new that you could like and make new friends, it's interesting!

ilanathellama

Because sometimes you feel like you don't fit in and you end up isolating yourself even more. But the thing is there's always someone else who also feels alone, and when you're together there's no one alone~

Anonymous

This may be because you do not have anyone to rely on, anyone you really, truly trust in your life right now. Maybe you're having an unstated family problem, perhaps you don't have a close friend you can tell anything to.

Kellie

You may feel alone because you aren't around the right type of people. To be around the right type of people you will never feel alone and will be filled with positive vibes

shrinkingviolett

Feeling alone often stems from a lack of immediate, close support. It is something that everybody craves and needs to maintain healthy mental health. Reach out or get out of the house and spend some time with people and you will soon discover that being alone and being lonely don't have to be the same thing.

IreKat

People can feel alone when they think nobody understands them, or nobody cares about them. This feeling is normal. We all feel like this at times.. and it is because we all need people around us. We need support and company. People cannot live without people.

Anonymous

lack of social encounters with people and loved ones can affect the person greatly and make them feel lonely.

tjb28

feeling alone is a normal feeling ,it isnt a pleasent feeling but is normal to feel like that at some point in your life,Please remember you are always welcome to come on to 7 cups of tea and there are different listeners here to help ,listen and suppport you.

greenJOHN1971

Because when you are alone for most of the day that is just how you feel. You are alone, not talking to anyone for 10 hours a day? ALONE.

Euphoria17

You feel alone because the people who surround you maybe don't give you much attention or don't show you that they care or that you are good company.

Anonymous
November 22nd, 2015 3:35am

Sometimes you do have people around you and still feel alone, it is probably because you think that the people surround you don't understand you, you have to find the right person and the confidence to tell them what's on your mind.

Anonymous
November 21st, 2015 4:45pm

Loneliness is a pretty intense feeling. When stuff gets serious and you find that you’re not feeling great a lot of the time, it can help to know some simple steps that might help you get back on track. But if nothing gets better, it might be worth looking deeper into why you are feeling so lonely.

interestingBerry24

Maybe overthinking things can make you feel this way. Call a friend to go out. Or even come here to talk. Just know your never aline.

cherishedJet13

You aren't alone, I am here and so many other people around you are here to help and support you when there is no one else there. You may feel lonely but trust me you aren't.

Bazinga88

We feel alone because we believe that no one understands or feels the same way that we do. Sometimes it is helpful though to talk about how we are feeling, then we realize there are others who feel things similar to us.

summer31591

Because you think no one can understand you. No one can feel what you feel. You think no one is interested to you

nlpinspiration

Well it is really strange situation when you feel empty deep in yourself. A good change is to determine which activity fulfills you and makes you happy, and start practicing it. That activity itself will make you feel Happy

exuberantWheel7566

I don't know. I feel alone too. I don't think it's worth getting through this for me. It's only going to come back again.

Anonymous

you may feel alone because you have forgotten how many people truly care about you. At 7 cups we are here how can we help you ?