How can I overcome anxiety if I can't talk to a therapist or my own doctor?

Greece

Johanna Liasides, MSc

I work with youth and young adults to help them improve depressive symptoms and self-esteem as well as effectively address family, relationship and peer conflicts.

TheLadyK
I struggle with this very issue. Particularly, since talking sometimes feels a bit detached. Or makes me feel more anxious. I have been exploring something lately, where I approach whatever is bothering me with curiosity. Where do I feel the anxiety in my body? Does it have a color? A shape? What does it feel like, if I let myself get closer to it (without necessarily ascribing words to the feeling)? I will often set a timer for 2 minutes, and let myself fully experience this. I can handle anything for two minutes. Make friends with your anxiety -- it might be trying to tell you something.
HopieRemi
There are things you can do for your anxiety on your own. Know your triggers. Know how to avoid them and if you can't avoid them, learn how to not react. Looking up grounding techniques.....now that you have looked it up.....what do you feel about trying that??
Anonymous
Come here on 7 cups and there are plenty people just like you 😊 A lot of listeners you can talk to and a lot of support 🙂 Come up with strategies and plans that will help you manage your anxiety more
BigGreenCat
A good place to start is writing your feelings out or practicing saying them to yourself or your cat or someome you trust
Vronica23
There are so many resources available when dealing with anxiety. I like using an app called SAM by the University of the West of England. It is a self help app with an active community for when you feel anxious. Among the many tools, my favorite is the Help for Anxiety Now tab. It provides simple, proven techniques, such as breathing exercises and interactive methods to combat anxiety. I have used it before when I felt panic attacks coming on with great results. It's so nice to have something so helpful at the tips of your fingers when a professional is out of reach. I highly recommend it.
kristenisaninjaturtle
try grounding exercises, they help me,,, you can find techniques on Google.
Georgia
When you aren't able to talk to a therapist or doctor it's definitely hard to overcome anxiety. But that doesn't mean you can't! Finding ways to overcome anxiety is easier than most people think! Keep a "trigger journal" listing what triggers you. When you've been able to pinpoint your triggers, finding the solution to them is easier! For example, if your trigger is public transport, then one way to overcome it is listening to music and talking to friends, distracting yourself from the people on the bus/train - or just avoiding them as much as possible. Furthermore, the lovely listeners here, and the Anxiety forum, sub-community and Chatroom are available for you to get ideas from other people completely anonymously! ❤
0nigiri
Find what works for you! The classic breathing exercises don't work for everyone, think of something that calms you down, playing an instrument, looking at the sky, drawing, watching/reading shows and books, etc!
OctopusGarden
Speak to friends and family members. They are sure to give you warm support and advice. There are several other ways to overcome anxiety, such as engaging in a hobby or sport.
Anonymous
If you are experiencing anxiety it is best to surround yourself with people you feel safe with. If there is no one you want to talk to, maybe try sites such as this, and refer to the guides and hotlines. Many times we feel more relieved once we say our problems out loud and reflect on their importance. Breathing is also what may help, when you feel overwhelmed try and take a few deep breaths to calm yourself.
Calmriver18
It can be hard to break this cycle, but there are ways iv found we can do it especially when we dont have someone like our therapist to listen or help guied us. Some things i find that help me are taking a short walk outside amd breathing in and out calmly allowing my mind and heart to slowly get back to normal, relaxation techniques can help you with the mental and physical feelings of anxiety so by just going to a quiet place and breathing deeply and playing some nice relaxing tunes can help, writing down how you feel and letting it out as you would to your therapist can also help life some weight of your shoulders i fimd doing this while having a nice chamomile tea and sitting outside helps me fee much less anxious, sometime a good scream out loud helps release tension 😊 it may be silly but it helps i know, a warm bath with some nice relaxing soaps could help you reduce the stress and anxiety you may be feeling, spending somw time with your pet can also relive stress and anxiety. There are many ways we can try to help us het through that rough day and help is get a firm hold of our body and mind ☺
lifefighter1012
April 22nd, 2018 12:15am
There are many ways to deal with anxiety. Most anxiety triggers are related to the uncertainty of something or a big fear of something. A great way to ease this is to have a sort of distraction, like a phone call to your bestie and have her/him laugh your anxiety away or try deep breathing exercises. Inhale and as you exhale, count down from 10 to 0. Do this until you feel better. Normally after the third you start to beef calm. Don't do this too much because you might feel dizzy lol another way that helps is watching videos of you favorite animal, like a dog or cat running around the grass or something. Hope this helps :)
NocheAzul25
I've been in this situation, and I used to ask the same question. It's very difficult to seek help for things; specially if the thing you want to talk about is the thing that is keeping you from talking. It is this vicious cycle, but you are capable of breaking it. When I first began seeing a therapist, it took 3 or 4 sessions before I began actually speaking. The important thing is that you take that first step. Maybe you could even have a friend set up your appointment for you. Therapists and doctors both understand what you're going through, and want to try their best to make sure your comfortable with the situation, but also help you how they can. I know it's intimidating, but taking the first step is the biggest part. Thank you for reaching out, and good luck
frenchiek
You can work on good coping skills, such a grounding and counting and breathing to help minimize your anxiety. Recognizing your triggers is also very helpful and avoiding unnecessary situation were triggers are present.
AnArtLover
Overcoming anxiety isn't easy. Talking to a therapist can be helpful, but like you not everyone has those resources. Self help guides on this website could be beneficial. Also figuring out what is triggering those feeling of anxiety is important you have to figure out why before you can solve the problem.
scotty4947
What kind of anxiety are you experiencing? There are also so many other people you can talk to. Your school may be able to help you more. Or, maybe, talking about all of it here on 7 Cups of Tea may relieve some of your anxiety as well!
Anonymous
Reaching out to people on sites like this one is definitely one way to go :) Meditating, taking strolls in nature, silencing social media... these are also some ways to deal with anxiety. Please do try to narrow down the specific reason for your anxiety and take small steps towards overcoming it.
TurtlelyHereForYou33
Talk to somebody you feel confident enough talking to and take a look in the anxiety Handbook on 7cups website
Kendra6769
Do something that really takes you out of your comfort zone. Even if its hard, push through. Make sure its something you do enjoy though. When i was in hughschool i was dealing with intense anxiety, and i joined the drama csst2 my senior year. Long story short, I got more comfortable and less anxious. It realky helped me get out of my shell.
GeminiRay95
Finding someone youre comfortable around is really really difficult. I also needed a few approaches until i found someone I could work with. Keep trying! Anxiety is all about small steps. :)
Anonymous
You can try homeopathic remedies like breathing exercises and meditation. You can also find worksheets and other free media online to help manage anxiety.
wonderousWaterfall34
You can talk to someone here on 7cups! there are lots of people with experience who are happy to help
lovingLynx89
Change your routine, your thought life. Do not allow yourself negative emotions. Interrupt the old patterns. Educate yourself read up on relaxing techniques from the best authors. Take care of your health, eat great nourishing food. Drink plenty water. Breathe properly. Life is beautiful learn to enjoy the small pleasures. Smile!
TheRealDeal10
Pick up a hobby in your life, whether it be something you do alone or with people. This hobby may be a physical hobby like working out, or building something that has meaning.
Anonymous
you can talk to your family members or friends. If you think they cannot help you, you can come to 7 cups. There are plenty of enthusiastic listeners who are happy to help.
BossLady33
Change your therapist and your doctor. You need professionals that are going to listen to every concern you have so that they can help you get better the quickest and most effective way possible.
Anonymous
Try to find out what works best for you. Feel better after a cup of tea, yoga or after breathing exercises? Include those in your daily routine or find healthy methods that you can use during a moment of anxiety. Know when you're anxious and try to find out why you react so negatively in a situation. Try to learn to understand yourself and if you have the chance and courage, try talking to a friend about it. Who knows, maybe they understand what you're going through better than you thought possible. Taking small steps at a time is fine, you do you :)
EsmeRose
Talking to a doctor or therapist can be very hard when the reason you are going is for anxiety. You get anxious just for turning up! This can be hard however, making the first step always is. Getting yourself out and talking about it to someone, youll find it really helps. If that wont work out for you, try hanging out with friends or doing something social to ease the anxiety.
Anonymous
Look up ways of calming yourself and your anxiety make sure you have controlle over your anxiety and not the other way around
Themasterofunlocking
Find something you love to do, and find it for yourself..and when anxiety comes to you, do it. It makes a huge difference if you feel like you cant go to other people.