How can I overcome anxiety if I can't talk to a therapist or my own doctor?

Lauren Abasheva, LMHC

A sex positive, and kink knowledgeable therapist with an open mindset and a clear understanding that we are all different.

Anonymous
For things like that it's best to talk to a professional. Also talking with friends or doing your growth path can help also for the time being.
DaughterofChrist
You can do it! One little step at a time. All of us listeners are here for you and a lot of us have gone through the same thing. That's what makes 7cups so great! Don't be afraid to go to a friend or family member.
LilMissListener
if you cannot talk to a therapist or your own doctor, get onto 7cups, one of our lovely listeners may be able listen and help you through their open listening. Talking to friends, work colleagues etc can sometimes help, or, there are several meditation or "head space" apps to down load to help, adjusting diet, exercise and having an open mind certainly helps. xx
Anonymous
There's multiple ways to try and fix your anxiety that doesn't involve a therapist or a doctor - most paths (if not all of them) involve trial and error. Trying out a bunch of methods and looking at the pros and cons as well as the progress that you make. When something is not going well looking at the path and revaluate it. I would recommend doing a lot of research from wherever you can think of. Reading success stories might not be a good idea if you think that it will discourage you. Finding people who you can relate too or are or have been in a similar situation that you feel comfortable with can be a way, but it’s something that you have to discover yourself. It might not be, since everyone is different.
Anonymous
You may need to switch therapists or doctors. It's not always your fault but it is your responsibility to help yourself. you can try closing your eyes during session. you can write notes to your therapist or doctor. you can play them songs that you can relate to until you feel comfortable talking to them. You will realize in due time that speaking your mind and allowing yourself to be you freely is a very rewarding experience and you cant wait to do it again and more often. Recognize your anxiety for what it is but know that it can only control you if you allow it to. just breathe and focus on your breathing.
Anonymous
You can overcome anxiety by being honest about feeling anxious to yourself. Sometimes writing what you want to say down on paper and handing it to your therapist or doctor is much more helpful than forcing yourself to talk about something. Being honest and finding ways to cope with your anxiety (like fiddling wish something or distracting yourself) can also help.
Anonymous
Wow really , well do stuff that you love or like be surrounded by loved ones go out for walks , runs , have fun !!
LauraAnne123
Talking to a listener on 7 Cups Of Tea, talking to a friend, meditating, self hypnosis and exercise.
JustcallmeDrishti
Well anxiety means fear or feeling worried. Listening songs is helpful. Meditation and deep breathing calms oneself. Reading success stories correlated to yourself is also great.
kindBlossom18
Meditation and mindfulness are proven to be extremely effective in the management of anxiety. As anxiety resides primarily in the mind, a lot of the recovery techniques are focused around recognising these unhelpful thoughts and behaviours, and working towards retraining your brain to challenge them. Mindfulness helps you focus on the present, and gently encourages you to push worrying thoughts away when they come to disturb you during the meditation process. Something I have found extremely useful in the past was the use of a thought diary. When you get to the inevitable stage in your anxiety when you are working yourself up over one particular worry, the thought diary encourages you to assess situations where you have experienced a level or anxiety, and the emotions/unhelpful thoughts which are experienced as a result of this situation. You then weigh up the facts against your own opinions/assumptions, and then challenge your initial thought to come up with an alternative response to this anxious situation. Any of these methods can be helpful, but it does rely heavily on what you best respond to and what works best for your situation.
cuddlyForestl75
Although talking to a therapist or a doctor would be the best course of action, they don't have to be the answer for you to overcome anxiety. Simple things like mindfulness exercises and meditation can help so much! it doesn't have to be something like that either. It could be grounding techniques that you can use, for instance I used to ground myself by holding a piece of hard pasta and reminding myself of how it felt in my hands, how it could have been made, its shape and its texture.
Anonymous
I've found writing out what exactly is stressing me out in any given situation helps. Then writing out some steps I think I could take to rectify the situation, even if they're crazy, like skydiving into a pool to avoid going somewhere. The crazy solutions can allow you to laugh, and laughter is the best medicine ;)
Inesa707
Maybe you can write them a letter instead on how youre feeling, what you have been experiencing. Try reading this letter to them and if you can give it to them. It will help them understand what you are going through.
WatchingOverYou
First you need to know why is that you cannot talk to a therapist or your own doctor. Then you can try to talk to a loved one, either family or friend, if you really trust them and think it will be useful.
Anonymous
Try and have the mindset that everything happens for a reason, that helped me, try and do something kind of spontaneous and new every week and see if that helps you become more confident
Anonymous
Talk to a close friend or family member or possibly someone on the internet. Or just just to solve the problem
Cupcakeprincess3
Honestly I deal with anxiety every day of my life. Life is so hard sometimes. But what I do is take deep breaths and think of the best outcome. You have to picture it. Set a clear postive picture of that event or that situation and imagine yourself in it. This helps alot and gives you something to work with.
Anonymous
Take small steps. I learnt that when I started my job, you have to realise not everything is as bad as your head will make it seem.
Anonymous
You have an endless list of solutions and fixes. Become aware of what may be causing your anxiety? What is bothering you? Becoming self-aware can help you move forward in the steps to take to overcome anxiety. Another very important thing: distraction. Distracting yourself is one of the things that you should do when overcoming a mental health issue like anxiety. Listen to music, draw, watch YouTube, spend time with friends/family, exercise, etc. Breathing exercises and meditation really help too.
Anonymous
If talking to a therapist and seeing a doctor are completely out of the question, I would suggest you consider making meditation and mindfulness practices a regular part of your day. Even just 5 minutes in the morning, at night or any time you are particularly anxious will make a difference. Just be consistent with it. I would also suggest you consider getting into a regular exercise routine like walking or running, something aerobic to get your heart beat up and work out the nerves. Again, it doesn't have be a big long routine, just something you do consistently. Good luck! :)
magnificentRose95
I found talking to people here on 7 cups helped me reach a stage where I became comfortable enough to talk to my doctor and therapists. It may take some time but you'll get there
It is helpful to distract yourself with relaxation exercises, or any other type of distraction that will calm you down like music, TV sport.
Joye74
COme online at 7cups. We have trained listener. Hope that might help. It's a private room to discuss and free.
Anonymous
Anxiety could be overcome 1 by doing yoga and Pranayama 2 by laughing out more 3 by indulging oneself on arts of any type like playing instruments, learning music, painting etc
Anonymous
Therapists and doctors are non-judgemental and are here to help you. Perhaps you could try talking to a listener at seven cups about how you are feeling
Anonymous
You can overcome anxiety by asking a friend or family member help you calm down or use a fitbit or an stop anxiety app to help you release your anxiety to start.
softSugar96
It may seem impossible now, but I have found that journaling daily, therapy, and peer consultation (group therapy) have helped me learn what my triggers were and some coping mechanisms to help me through it. I do yoga before bed.
Swewi
Internet is a great resource and especially for someone with social anxiety. Eye contact as well as the feeling of being studied by someone else can make the step of seeing a doctor or therapist immense. I recommend taking one step at a time; and over the internet one can be anonymous and it might be easier to open up.
hugsandcoffee
The most important goal to try and reach when attempting to overcome anxiety, is the ability to concentrate on the here and the now - mindfulness, if you will. It is in those moments, when you are fully focused and with only yourself as company, that the bigger picture becomes clearer. From what I feel myself and hear from others, anxiety often has a root cause that has less to do with the outside world, and more, way more, with what goes on inside your own head.
Anonymous
Talking to someone you feel more comfortable with talking with or a family you’re close with. Also, talking on online chats could help.