How do I know if I did the right thing?

How do I know if I did the right thing?

Tricia Saviano, MA, ATR, LCPC

Art Therapist

Life can be tough. Finding creative ways to get through issues and live a happy life is important. As an art therapist and licensed counselor, I can help you reach your goals.

Vronica23
Look inside yourself. Are you a better person for it? Did you grow from it? Did it help? Do you feel better for doing it? Sometimes we have to make personal choices that end up affecting others, and that can make us feel guilty. That's understandable, but was our goal to help us grow, or was it to cause other's harm? These are all questions I believe can help you decided if what you did was the right thing. Ultimately, I think you're the only one who's able to answer that question.
Personalvendetta
Accessing situations from an objective eye can be hard at first. Emotions can lead people to do rash things. Rash actions can cause stress and anxiety and doubt. Look objectively at situations. And also realize that no actions are set in stone. What's right and wrong for other may not be the same for you. Dont doubt what has no clear answer
Anonymous
To know if you've done the right thing, you'll feel a sense of peace deep within. That is how you know you've done good
beautifullycomplicated
If it feels right to you. All outsider feelings aside, are you proud of the choice you've made? If yes, then you did what was right.
heartfulPeace96
You will never know if you did the right thing. You just have to trust yourself. If you did it for the right resens then you can decide if it was the right thing for you to do in that situation. You just have to know that you did the right thing for you
Anonymous
You know you have done the right thing when you have no regrets, you may doubt yourself a little bit but in the end the outcome was what it should be not what you wanted it to be.
Anonymous
I guess there's a general sense of actually done something right in your gut. It's like when you do something wrong, even if no one's watching, somehow deep down you know, the sames goes as doing the right thing I guess.
Anonymous
If your heart and mind say so. Breathe, think, and review/assess what happened when you carried out the action.
Anonymous
To ask feedback and see the person's reaction. From what they thought, said, and I resolved somewhat the issue..
funnySeal12
choose what you think is right then cross examine your actions and your motivations to check if they align logically and philosophically with your idea of right
LindaBg
You actually can't make wrong decisions. Everything you chose you chose for a reason and there will me decisions you will regret but that is totally fine, this is human.
Z3rocool
You could know whether you did the right thing or not by making an analysis,. It depends on the what kind of things, but you must think about with both positive and negative aspects before making any decision.
soothingStrawberry61
This is tricky, because we can only see the 'right' thing from our own perspective. You know those memes where there is a number on the ground? One person sees and 6 and one sees a 9 depending on how they are standing. Life is like that sometimes. All you can do is listen to your heart and try to make the best decisions. I hope you take times to think and journal about your decision, and i hope you find peace with it.
Anonymous
I think you know you did the right thing if it feels good in your heart and if there are positive outcomes.
Anonymous
Time tells you everything. Let the time take care of everything while you take care of yourself. And even if you did the right thing, it might not always make you feel good about it. Try to think about it and then let it go, since it is in the past now, and your new goal is to deal with the consequences.
WhatDoesItAllMean
Well you can never really know for certain. And who gets to define what is right and wrong? All you can do is just satisfy your conscience by making decisions based on whether you can justify them or not.
Anonymous
What helps me a lot is to make a pros and cons list of all the things I could have done instead. If I figure out another solution that would have been better, I ask myself if I thought of it at the time I made the decision. If I didn't think of it at the time, I couldn't have done it, so I focus only on the options I could think of at the time. If there's something about the decision that caused someone else harm, I do what I can to make amends, and I also remind myself that I can't change the past and try to avoid dwelling on it over much once I've figured out how to either make amends if I've hurt someone, or figured out what I'd like to do in the future if something similar comes up. Aside from those two things, there's nothing else you can do about a decision that's already made, so it's best to distract yourself if you find you keep dwelling on it.
tinka95
Just listen to your heart. It will always tell you whether you did the ring thing if you just open yourself up to its wisdom.
AvaLive07
Sounds like you are concerned about something. It can be hard to tell from right and wrong. What do you feel you did?
Namastay
If it feels right it is right. Trust your judgment. As long as you are happy with what you did than that is all that matters.
Anonymous
You will feel this feeling of being free. Doing the right thing always feels good at some point in time. You may not feel the best in the moment but in the end everything will feel better.
Anonymous
By observing and understanding the consequences of your actions. Balance the negative and positives and see which one outweighs the other.
somebodylovesu
if you had the right intention thats more then good enough if your hearts in the right place then thats all that matters you cant go back anyway
Anonymous
You can't know that you did the right thing because more often than not, there is no right answer. When making a decision, you have to think about everybody it affects. You can't make everybody happy but you can make a judgement call on how to hurt the least amount of people.
dogmom99
The only person who can decide if YOU did the right thing would have you be YOU. No one make these decisions for you because your opinion is the only one that should matter.
Anonymous
We can never truly know what is the right or wrong thing. If you think it was the right thing then it doesn't matter what others think
Jennifer164
Untill you know that you didn't hurt somebody and you are happy with what you have done,you are right!But actually in reality,everybody is right in their own perspective.
Anonymous
Your guts normally tell you if it was the right thing. GO with what you feel is right always. not everything have to be logical
rebecca947
How do you feel about your decision? If you feel content, you probably did the right thing in your own opinion. However, doing the right thing can mean different things to different people.
You can only know if you did the right thing when you look back and see the results. So you need to trust your feelings and assessment of the situation at hand.