I feel extremely sick whenever I leave my house, what can I do?

Halayma Khatun, M.A Theology(U.K, UAE), Diploma With Distinction in Counseling

Compassionate, patient, experienced depression counselor. I use Psychodynamic counseling techniques. My counseling experience is +8 years, I counsel women.

Missingperiodsandcommas
Talk to a doctor. If it's anxiety there's good medicines out there to help control the feeling of being watched, hot flushes and nausea. Also ease into it. Don't force yourself to go out for long periods of time but instead try 5 mins and gradually lengthen it. Go out with friends if it helps to have another person with you. Or block the world out (safely) with headphones. Baby steps.
sevysnepthesnek
I often try to determine WHY I feel sick! Sometimes it can be that I know I shouldn't be doing something that I am about to do, and other times I simply would rather be by myself. If you are worried that you are suffering from depression, it is important to talk to a professional so you can seek the proper help!
Anonymous
Don't get out of the house. Find out why. Resolve. Bring the party to the house. Pray.
HelpingStarlight
This is not always something that is caused by mental health. This could be symptoms of agoraphobia, social anxiety, or in fact it could be something physical causing you to feel sick. If you feel it may not be related to your mental health it may be best to talk to your doctor.
Anonymous
Ask yourself why you feel sick leaving the it sound like it may be down to aniexty. Try to see hwst a triggering this off for you. Then go about addressing those concerns with one of are listeners or a counselor
Anonymous
Bring water and remember to breathe, remember why coming home will mean so much once you get what you had to get done out of the house done.
Anonymous
Try and distract yourself with something you enjoy to get your mind off of that queazy feeling. Also try some breathing techniques such as breathe in through your nose for 4 seconds and breathe out through your mouth for 5 this helps relieve some of the nausea!
exquisiteSunset72
Try to break down your ultimate goal of "leaving your house" into smaller goals. Right now leaving the house is making you feel sick, so you should try backing up to see what is triggering the nausea. Try just standing inside with the door open at first. See how long you can stand there without feeling sick. Once you feel pretty comfortable doing that, see if you can stand in the door way without feeling sick. This process continues goes on and on (standing one step outside, walking 10 steps out and back, going on a 1 minutes walk, etc.) until you can hopefully achieve your ultimate goal of completely leaving the house.
Anonymous
To be anxious of leaving the house is a you reality and my feeling would be maybe to get someone who who walk with you. In taking small steps on at a time you maybe can get the confidence to go further. I think maybe a support group would be helpful too. This is a nightmare as home becomes a prison.
Anonymous
Have you tried consulting a doctor? It can be a medical or mental situation whenever you leave your house.
Panther7
What is the reason for feeling sick, is there something you miss ? At the end it is love, and you can find it everywhere just a smile to or from other people tells you you home is where your heart is. ;)
Anonymous
Take deep breaths and try not to think about negative things in life . Try to focus on something positive and happy
crispapple71
Talk to a counsellor about getting some CBT sessions. They are very useful in helping overcome anxiety.
Bookloverxoxo
Try and remind yourself that just because you leave your house, doesn't mean it has to be to do anything stressful or intense. Know your boundaries, take things slow, and do a little bit more each day. This will allow you to get used to doing things outside the house, as well as keep things moving at your own pace so you don't feel overwhelmed with anxiety each day you leave.
Anonymous
Take deep breaths, break your tasks down and reward useself for leaving the house to try and get over this fear. Also accepting that this fear is okay to have and that it doesn’t happen to eveyone but it is normal and can be worked on. Try to make sure you try and keep going out and facing this fear/ anxiety otherwise you will just keep avoiding the situation. Just remmber it’s okay and you can get better, maybe talking about it to someone close might help you accept it as well, so it doesn’t become a bigger problem
ItsTina15
Ask yourself why. And try to uncover and analyse what comes up. Maybe its the idea of having to interact with people? Maybe you are scared something will go wrong? Maybe you don't want to do what you plan on doing for which you are leaving your house. It can be many things, just keep asking probing questions to yourself for self awareness.Think of all the times you went outside and you felt sick. Maybe you will find some clues? Or patterns? You can also confide in a someone you trust, to get their opinion. Maybe they will be able to offer you insight on this.
Dtro18
It sounds like you have agoraphobia. Agoraphobia is when we start to fear more and more of the outside world, so much so that we shrink our boundaries more and more until we are confined to our homes. The best treatment of agoraphobia is therapy, but it can be difficult to receive therapy or treatment when the very thought of leaving our homes causes us to feel sick. For now, a good first step is really examining what it is we're afraid of that exists outside of out comfort bubble, and rationalizing those fears. Start by looking at what makes you anxious or stressed about a specific place, and realizing that some fears may be irrational. Rationalizing one place may be to unlocking the rest of the world for you.
monfleur
I am very familiar with this feeling. Sometimes I still feel this way even though my worst and lowest point was years ago. I think that you could ask someone you trust to go out with you as a support or safety blanket. Start with the places that cause you less distress. And then, when you feel like it, start with more challenging places. First with your trusted ones, then maybe alone. Its trial & error. Take your time. Find out what exactly makes you sick & try to avoid it if you dont feel like facing it. Dont feel bad. You will eventually figure it out. But please ask your loved ones to help you through this journey.
Yocan18
Find support. Have someone be with you when you leave. Try and comfort yourself with little things as you leave....and desensitize yourself in some way. Perhaps have something positive waiting for you at another location...a friend, a an item you want to buy...a massage. Go somewhere that you will feel peaceful, so that place because another comfort zone for you....This will change the way your body is conditioned to respond. Right now it is conditioned for fear...having something positive outside the house when you leave will condition your brain and your emotions and the body will follow.
NurseDustin
I know that it is very difficult sometimes when you are feeling sick or anxious when you leave your house. One things that I do when I am having anxiety and not being about to focus on all the people and noise because it is so much, I focus on breathing. I use different apps to help with my breathing and inner focus. Bring attention to your breath and if you breath in deeply through your nose and slowly out through your mouth this will help to calm and center yourself and bring awareness to the inner self and away from all the social anxiety and stress and pressure from those around you during these situations.
museofdreams
It would help to start with figuring out why you feel sick. Is there something wrong? Has something changed recently to make you feel this way? Are you uncomfortable with where you're going? When did you first begin feeling sick when left? Generally figuring out why we have a problem can be the key to understanding and working through that problem. If you figure out why you feel sick, what you can do to handle or cope with whatever makes you sick and put together a plan for getting more comfortable with leaving your house you should be able to tackle the world. There can be a lot of reasons for feeling sick when you leave home. Whether it's a fear of something, actual sickness due to the weather, or being uncomfortable with whatever you need to go out and do. All you can do is try to figure out what's wrong and confront the problem. You are strong and can overcome your problems.
FreshRiver42
Hey, I'm sorry, I know this is hard. Grounding techniques may help you here! Things like focusing on your breath (for example, breathing in for four seconds, holding for four, then breathing out for four). It may help to take your mind off the nauseousness, or thoughts that make you feel that way. Similarly, counting how many colours you can see, or things you can taste, smell or feel can really help. I've also seen suggestions by people about clapping your hands, or rubbing them together, to feel that contact, and focus on it - taking your mind off things. I hope this helps. Stay strong; things will get better x
SaraHoffman
These are tips on trying to calm what sounds like anxiety. Grounding witch makes you realize your surroundings and realize you are not in that place anymore and you are safe. So name 5 things you see, 4 things you can touch, 3 things you can hear, 2 things you can smell and 1 thing you can taste. and look, touch, listen, smell, or taste the following things. Also look up square breathing. As well as Inhale for 7 sec hod for 4 exhale for 5. Doing things like walking, having cold water on the wrists and doing this breathing helps as well as being in a cold?hot (depending on if the attacks make you feel hot or cold pick the opposite temp ex if you feel hot go to a cold place ect) and quite place can help, Also running cold water on your wrists.
Anonymous
Take a deep breath. Remember, going out is good for you, the fresh air feels and smells lovely. Maybe it smells like fresh rain, or maybe it smells like the hot caress of the sun. As you're walking, take care of where you're going, but listen. The excited day to day chatter, the laughs and giggles, or maybe the temper tantrums of children. Take in the world, the pure beauty. Your sickness is a passing feeling. It may feel scary and horrible, and it can be. But it's all a matter of perspective. Take a breather, a moment all to yourself, and try to change the way you look at the trees, the sky, the tiny droplets of rain. Everything around you is beauty and intelligence and has a story. Every flower, brick, car and dog. Think about those stories, and never rush. Take your journeys day by day.
Anonymous
March 3rd, 2019 4:51am
I suggest that before you leave the house, you do a breathing activity and drink some water. Also believe in yourself and know that you will be okay. If you do feel sick, put on some music that relaxes your mind. I get that if must be hard for you and you may have fear or being overwhelmed from leaving the house. I believe if you do some activities that will take it off your mind will help you from getting sick. Maybe even read a book and examine everything might get your mind off of feeling sick. Thanks you
Anonymous
March 3rd, 2019 6:01pm
The first thing you can do is try to figure out where you are going and find a safe path then you can call up a friend to go with you. If you don't have a friend then you shall be brave and step out that door, just remember. Preparation is key. Prepare before you leave. Make sure you have everything on you that will help on your journey and if you get lost, don't be afraid to ask for help. We're all humans and we're not going to judge you. Maybe you can get a pet dog too.
Anonymous
think about the sun which will touch your skin when you´ll be outside. the wind, which you will be able to feel in your hair. it may be a bit too bright outside but you will get used to it. believe me at some point you will actually like it. whenever you feel uncomfortable look for clouds. count them. try to guess what they look like. search for trees. maybe one of them has your favorite color. think about all those thinks while leaving the house. forget about your problems. just think about the sun, the sky, the wind and the nature which will be waiting for you outside.
Anonymous
I understand maybe we can set up a weekly chat and I can try to help you overcome this sick feeling you get wen you leave your home. A home can be a safe place for many people and that may be what is making you feel sick when you leave. Leaving a home can be very unsettling but am here to listen and help you get overcome this felling and get out in the open more and make new friends that also influence you to get out more. It may also help with this feeling being out with people you enjoy being around.
ALunchboxFriend
Deep breathes, Fresh air and mindful exorcising. These are my coping skills. Often when I am feeling sick its normally my anxiety. It's good to get some air or take a small walk when I am feeling anxious. Some times if I am feeling actually sick physically I chew some gum or suck on a mint. For some reason mint not only helps my stomach but calms me down. It is some what of a Melatonin for me. I calms my nerves and makes me feel better. When I am sick I usually will try to avoid my phone.
SynSavory
First, I would recommend seeing a doctor. However, that requires you to leave the house. Is there a way to bring a doctor into the home? Since you said extremely sick, I'm wondering if a relative could call emergency services to give you immediate care? If calling a doctor or emergency services to your home is not feasible: Baby steps. First try to stay outside for a few mins only, then gradually bring the few minutes into several minutes. Several minutes becomes one hour. Continue across the weeks until you have built enough immunity to go outside long enough to see the closest doctor. I feel like there are lot of unknown variables in this situation. Is the air quality in your environment bad? Do you have an immune system issue? If it's an immune system thing, bundle up appropriately and try to see a doctor (whether you go to them or them to you). They can get you an inhaler and other medications to assist. If this is a social anxiety related ailment that has escalated into agoraphobia, it's understandable to feel overwhelmed. The world can be quite scary but not everyone is this way. In this case, please call a therapist. They can employ a customized and individualized plan to accommodate your needs and gradually you will be able to leave the home again.