What should I do if people think I am lying?

Jennifer Fritz, LMSW, PhD

Day to day life can be stressful and overwhelming and my strength is assisting my clients in a supportive, empowering and practical manner.

VeraKh42
It depends on the situation. If you have proof show them, but if you don't tell them: "I know I'm telling the truth. If you chose to not trust me, it's not my problem." This will somewhat affect them.
softNutella25
Ask yourself why they think you're lying. Is there a history of lies? Are they insecure themselves? Maybe try talking it out and explaining how you feel and ask them why they are thinking the way they are. Communication is key.
Anonymous
If they really start to accuse you of doing things you did not do, simply do your part by correcting them and walk away. You've done nothing wrong so you dont have to be scared of anything.
Aiustha
1. Find out what makes them think so. (Do you have a bad reputation about giving truth? Do your body language mislead them? Do you lie often? etc) 2. Now change those. (If you lie a lot, also find the reasons of why do you do it so and be more truthful, if someone is spreading wrong news, make them stop.
Anonymous
Repeat it again and again so that it becomes a truth. Kidding!, if you are not lying just tell them once and forget it...you know u r true
gracefulBeauty100
What other people think is up to them. You are the individual person who doesn't have to justify yourself to other people. If someone thinks you are lying, it's not about you. It's about them. Wonder yourself what made you think that. Do they lie often so they see everyone else is lying them. People see world through their own lences, and there are no two same pair of lences. So don't worry about other's opinions.
wishfulSound98
Do your best to reassure them that you are not lying and that your actions are genuine, but if they do not see it through then that is their loss. Not yours :)
Anonymous
If it's important to you, you should give them all the evidence you have to support what you're saying. If that doesn't work, there's not much you can do so you shouldn't worry about it. Accepting the things you can't change is an important part of life, and it may hold you back but you'll get through it.
WaterLilyListener
Think of why they might think that you are lying. Then, determine the best course of action to defend yourself. If after attempting to defend yourself, you're still not believed it may be time to let it go.
Anonymous
February 23rd, 2018 4:42pm
Being open an honest consistently with people can help prevent people ever thinking you're lying in the first place. If someone does think that of you, you can always push forward and continue to be open, show them you have nothing to lie about
SnugglySunshine75
Work on building up trust and being a generally honest person. If they still don't believe you then it's their loss and you shouldn't have to feel the need to prove yourself to them time and time again.
iamdeeplysorry4069
looking for answers on the internet.. we've all been there. its okay. But please read this and understand where I'm coming from. I know many of you who are reading this are stressed, nervous, and don't know what to do in your current situation. To start off, DONT lie. Trust me its going to get you in shit. Take it from a girl who always lies just to save her self from getting in trouble. Yup. I always lie to my parents because I know what I did was wrong, but I didn't want to get introuble. It really is scary when you get caught of something you're not supposed to do. So my advice to you is don't ever lie and don't do something you know is gonna get you in shit. Always tell the truth no matter what, and no matter what happens, listen to whatever your parents have to say. Stay calm, and eventually the problem will be dead. Just do the right thing from now on. Don't be stupid. Think twice before you do something dumb. I hope you read this all. And if you did, I hope this helped you. Remember, we are humans and humans aren't perfect. we all make mistakes to either expirience things or to see how its like. So don't worry and don't stress everyone goes through shit and gets through it eventually. STAY STRONG.
Anonymous
If you feel this is happening you can always reach out and get facts to help back up your clams, by pics or Voice record
emillym19
When people think you are lying it is important to stay calm and to tell the truth. Give reasons as to why it is the truth compared to the alternative can help reassure the other party you are being honest. Try not to fidget and sometimes personal gestures can help too.
Anonymous
you cant always convince people. even when its the truth, what matters most is that you know that your being honest with yourself and other people.
MissHeather
Be as honest as possible. You cannot change the way people think. Just be most authentic self with others and they will understand that you are truly the person you express yourself to be.
courageousIris14
Find out why they think that. Sometimes some people do not recognize the truth. Or, you’ve lied in the past.
courageousMelody48
Think about why people perceive you as a liar. They may be right, they may be mistaken. You don't have to over-explain yourself to people who treat you with mistrust
LondonEars5
If people think I’m lying it is thier opinion. I have in fact been in this position and found it very distressing when family members and friends have thought I was lying. The mistruths I have told we’re to stop others from getting hurt. There are certain things adult try to spare tier children. Other people I just pray will become victims of thier own karma. This is a piece I have written without the over thinking process !
ColorfulIvy13
If you aren't then let them know, if they won't believe then try ignoring them. Yeah I know that can be hard, but sometimes that's the best way to go about things.
CommunicationHeals
Ask them what you could do to show that you are telling the truth, and then do that. In the case that they ask for unreasonable proof, remind them that you are happy to give them proof, but that what they are asking for is impossible or unreasonable— and then explain why it's unreasonable, and ask for another way you could prove it. If you can't come to an agreement, it might be time to accept that they won't believe you at all, at least not now.
ardentAuthoress
I believe that conviction in your own beliefs is more important than having other people believe in you. From there, if you seek their support, you should try and prove your point kindly and politely by stating the reasons why you believe in whatever you believe in. If they still think you are lying, then you are probably better off not bringing the subject up again.
Anonymous
In my experience, it helps to accept that no matter what, some people will always question you/your stories. I try to remain authentic, to the point and patient. We all questions things, it's human nature, but if you remain honest there's literally nothing more you can do so be strong. Lastly, actions speak louder than words, you can always show people who you are instead of telling them :)
PileOfDirtyLaundry
It depends on wether I really am lying or not. If I am lying, I must think carefully of what pushed me to lie and why I let it affect me. If I am not lying, I shouldn’t care so much for what people think because I know eventually the truth will be seen and judgemental people will eventually feel bad for misjudging honest people.
Anonymous
It depends on if it's from past experiences with you or possibly just wrong group of friends. If it's from past lies you just keep on proving you have changed. If they cant accept that over time may need new friends
calmBlanket36
If you’re telling the truth but people don’t believe you, honestly there’s not much you can do besides ignore them! It’s their problem not yours because you did your part, so continue with your life and don’t pay attention to people who think you’re lying :)
EvaEar
Don’t continue to argue that you’re not lying by getting angry at their distrust, if you’re telling the truth show clam behavior, you have nothing to hide, and if possible provide evidence to your claim. If you still can’t sway your audience, the. Let it be, don’t dwell on it, you can’t change other people’s thoughts!
Anonymous
Let them know they are wrong and causing problems for you for no reason. Also try and get some evidence or other people to back you up
Anonymous
To be honest, I do experience it often. I feel pissed off sometimes, but then let go by thinking I have done my job by telling them the truth. Others believing in me or not is completely their problem;-)
SuperSandi
It's hard not to get defensive or mad but try not to if you can help it. If you're telling the truth, no need to explain yourself even if you feel you need to. Just smile and nod and eventually the truth will come to light. Not all situations play out that well though but I tell myself, "who cares if they think I'm lying, I did nothing wrong so why worry." If they don't believe me, they're not worth my time.