Why do I get anxious when my boyfriend goes out?

Lianne Kirby, MA in Counselling Psychology

I believe everyone should have the opportunity for their voice to be heard. I use a trauma informed, person centred approach in counselling.

RomanticJ
If you love someone, you should trust him. But sometimes we can't help it and some disturbing thoughts cross our minds. What if my boyfriend meets another girl and likes her. That has happened many times before so I really get anxious when my boyfriend goes out especially to meet with friends.
Anonymous
It is because you fear that he may go out and meet someone who is much better and fall in love. Which is not true, there is a reason why he loves you and is dating you.
Anonymous
You care too much or you are thinking too much, you worry if something is going wrong and you should talk to him about it so you feel at ease.
caringReeds28
It might be because of some underlying issues in your relationship. Maybe a lack of communication. Or it might have something to do with your past which makes you anxious and scared of losing people.
magnificentBeauty56
Anxiety is an awful thing. When your boyfriend goes out you may have a fear that he is going out to cheat on you which is not the case!
gForce
I don't know, Why do you get anxious when your boyfriend goes out? Think about it. I Don't have all the answers I can't read your mind.
CaringJoy
Anxiety is a fear of the unknown therefore in this scenario a person gets anxious because they might have a fear that something bad will happen to their boyfriend or they might have trust issues and think their boyfriend is being unfaithful.
It could be due to previous bad experience that triggers the anxiousness. It good to find a way to deal with the previous trauma's because it might effect the relationship you have now if you don't.
cscooldod2g
Sometimes people get anxious when their boyfriend goes out because they haven't developed enough trust with that person. They don't believe that they will be where they say they will be, or that they are going to cheat on them. This is unhealthy in a relationship and it is important to build up trust, even with the small things.
PracticalMaple
because you care for him. If you don't 100% trust him then it will make it harder to deal with. Speak to him about it, im sure he will reassure you and let you know he wouldn't do anything to betray your trust
Divisionjoy17
You probably get jealous when your boyfriend goes out because you care about him, you are protective over keeping him therefore you wouldn't want to think anything would happen to him/he would do something to jeopardise the relationship. Feeling anxiety about this sounds quite normal.
Anonymous
You probably get anxious b/c you don't know what he's going to do while he's out. I know I always feel like that when my boyfriend goes out.
nightchanges
It's because you are nervous about him, you don't want him away from you it's because either you don't want to lonly or you care too much for him.
Anonymous
You seem to have an issue with jealousy. Talk with your boyfriend about how his going out makes you feel. He may be understanding and keep in touch more.
Anonymous
Because you get worried about him. Possibly because of how you care about him and want to make sure he's safe
heatherishere64
You can be anxious for numerous reasons, but don't worry about it too much. You can be anxious because of a possibility of him cheating on you, or if he is doing something dangerous. It can be any circumstance. But if he seems to enjoy and love you don't worry about it!
Danbo
Well I honestly think it has to do with the fact that you dont trust your boyfriend not to fraternize with other people Dont worry we all do it!
clh2os
Perhaps you have unresolved issues from past relationships. Or even you doubt your own self worth. Write a list of the things you feel or what about his evenings out make you anxious. Then maybe you can find the root of the feelings then address it with him. Communicaton is key
warmLove39
I believe you are just worried something might happen to him. Do not worry its completely normal! maybe talk to him about how you feel
sankara7
you think he is seeing someone else? did you ask him where he is going; or does he tell you where ...
ManCho28
It could be so because you dunt trust him completely. It's alright though just learn to trust it is never easy but just try
Stevesoundboard
There can be several reasons. Personal experiences, such as infidelity in the past, can cloud your judgement, and cause you to project those feelings on to a new partner, regardless of how they have treated you. In addition, personal feeling such as fear or personal insecurities, also could cause this.
Suilaruin
You could be anxious when your boyfriend goes out because you care very much about him. Anxiety is cruel and can play on people's most Sensitive feelings.
Miracle
In order to find the answer to that question you may have to examine your current fears and past experiences. For example has this boyfriend or an ex cheated on you when they have been out. Are tut feeling abandoned or ignored when he leaves? Are you afraid he may come to harm?
NachtHexen
You get anxious because you believe he is cheating on you. Which is a perfectly natural reaction....
MikabeticListens
Sometimes, we feel paranoid about our significant others meeting other people, which may be what's causing the anxiety that many people get. It's okay to feel like this, and maybe to make yourself feel a little better about it, you could talk to him about how you feel to get reassurance. :)
Anonymous
It's hard for me to trust men at times. Seems as if I break the boldness of myself and anchor through something good. The anxiety of having a boyfriend go out while with me, stresses me out as if what he would find in the world. As a past experience, the taunting of truth and lies conquered my heart and I never loved again. It tells me that, as a man dates a woman, there is always going to be anxiety within myself.
bouncyPower95
Anxiety is a thing that can't always be understood. You might be afraid that he will leave you, or find someone better. This is a common fear, and you shouldn't feel ashamed. Talking to your boyfriend about this anxiety will help strengthen your relationship, and possibly get to the root of these anxious feelings.
globalLight44
You might feel safer when he's around, and maybe you have thoughts that either you or he will be harmed in some way when you are apart. This is a normal feeling, but may be a sign that you are becoming dependent on him to feel safe.
LuLu23
December 23rd, 2015 1:49am
Sometime I get anxious when that happens too! Do not worry too much it is normal. You may feel like this because you may feel like you might lose him. Try speaking to him about your concerns, it will make you feel better! And do not be afraid to trust him :)