I regret breaking up with my ex. What should I do?

Melissa Hudson, MS Ed, PhD(c), LMFT

I work with clients of diverse backgrounds on a multitude of concerns. My approach is, at times, directive, yet always curious, nonjudgmental, collaborative, and validating.

StayPositiveFriend
First ask yourself if you really regret it or are just feeling lonely. The change from "in a relationship" to "single" can be quite jarring. You go from sharing your life and intimacy to being alone and this is rarely a pleasant transition. Trying to get back together again is not a good idea in this case because its likely that some time later you will end up at the same conclusion and break their heart again. Best to move past this, spend time with friends and family to avoid feeling lonely and, when you feel ready for it, try going on a date again. Bonus tip: being single is a great time to rediscover yourself, who you are as a person instead of who you are as one half of the relationship. This can really help when starting a new relationship in the future because 1 thing to avoid is starting a relationship and comparing your new partner to the old with everything they do.
adorableFaith57
Ending a relationship is hard, whether it was your decision or the other person’s decision. You may be dealing with painful emotions and want to deal with those feelings as quickly as possible. There are several ways that you can work through your painful emotions and start to move on, such as writing about your feelings, allowing yourself to grieve, and being cautious about rebound relationships. Keep in mind that getting over a breakup takes time and patience. If things don’t seem to get better with time, remember that you can always turn to friends, family, or even a mental health professional for support.
cylll
They say everything happens for a reason. You might regret it now but it might be a blessing in disguise in the future. If you have a solid reason why you broke up with your ex in the past then trust your past self's decision and try to move on and better yourself.
Aware52
You were once sure about doing it. Why are you now second guessing your decision. Do not go back on your own words and ideas, you are just missing the good times, that is natural. You had your reasons for breaking up, keep revisiting them and stay true to yourself, these feelings will pass, they are natural. We all second guess our feelings at some point in time, you are just human, do not worry about you're conflicting messages you are getting change can sometimes be scary and your unconscious mind do not like being scared but also your unconscious mind cannot argue as to why you should not be with your ex but it knows that you feel scared stuck worried or lonely and it wants to fix it in the easiest way possible way, going back.
colorfulUnicorn23
Regret over s break up is very normal, You need to ask yourself a few questions. 1. What pushed you over the edge to leave? 2. Would you go back to the person at that point of time? 3. What is making you regret that decision? 4. If the same situation occurs again, what would you do? the answers to these questions will tell you how valid your decision was or is and is the reason good enough to go back and if you get a convincing answer to those questions and you feel that the relationship deserves a chance go back! I personally feel that somebody becomes an ex for a reason and no reason is ever going to be good enough to go to a place you left by choice!
Anonymous
if your decision was true for leaving him, then you should know that there is on earth who deserves you more than him .. don't regret it :)
steelnerve
Memories of an ex are really a very powerful emotion. They are usually negative in nature, and the terms or the reasons of breakups usually define the action to be taken. Accept your mistakes, ascertain your ex's mistakes, and learn from them. You may even feel motivated from it later onwards, just like I do. I went ahead to enjoy more, while getting rid of most of my addictions and grumpy behavior. What's lost can't be reclaimed, and that person wasn't meant for ya.
Anonymous
you should confront him how you feel about this relationship and try to fix things if possible by asking him
holdonloveneverends
If you really are still in love with him, try to contact him or ask him out again and explain the situation and see how it goes from there. :)
TobiasNorth
August 3rd, 2016 12:30am
Tell them. The worst that can happen is they don't feel the same, but you remain being friends (or in an extremely worst case scenario, they stop talking to you altogether), but the best case scenario is that they also regret breaking up and want to give your relationship another go. Telling them you want to get back together, even if it doesn't bring the desired result, will make you feel a lot better than keeping it to yourself and living your life wondering 'what if?".
YuukiKuran1996
Tell him how you feel . Be honest with him and there might be a chance fot you to get back together good luck ;)
Anonymous
If you regret breaking up, express this to your ex. Keeping this to yourself only will torture youself with 'what if's'
Anonymous
Try talking to him/her and say how you've been feeling! Maybe they share the same feelings as you, because they weren't the ones who chose to break up.
wonderousWhisper18
well then you should call them and and fix the situation if they are willing to do that and have still feeling
TheLuckyFox
Sometimes we can feel feelings from our past... Sometimes these are residual, sometimes these are merely results of habit, sometimes it's a residual flame, and sometimes it's comfort in what you previously knew... But the truth is, you know what is right for you... You know what your should do... Maybe that's playing a song from a boom box outside their bedroom window like in that movie, or maybe it's getting back into a saying scene... Be cautious, friend, but don't be afraid!
blackwingss
If you still love your ex and think things can work out this time, I think you should tell him/her. Tell him/her you regret breaking up wit him/her, that you miss him/her and still love him/her (if that's the case). Explain why you thought it was the right thing to do when you broke things off and tell him/her why you've changed your mind. If he/she still feels the same way, I'm sure he/she will forgive you and you two will make up and make things work. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. I wish you the best!
taniaviridiana
I shoul talk to him, ask for forgiveness and hope for the best. If is not for me move on and feel bad for some time and get over it.
Anonymous
You should think about why you broke up with him/her and if the reasons seem meaningless,try to approach them but becareful they might have change their mind about you too!
Anonymous
Call you're ex at the first instance and state how you feel. Trying is always better than regrets ..
Godlovesus
Go and talk to that person but do not force him/her to accept you,if they say that they aren't interested or have moved on then you must accept the fact. Go and talk with an open mind.
Anonymous
I can really understand that feeling. I think you need to reassess the reasons you broke up with them in the first place and ask yourself if you miss them or the relationship itself.
Jbthai
There are a lot of variables to account for. Ask yourself appropriate questions that you need to answer to. Why did you break up with your ex? What is holding me back from moving on? Was being with my ex making me unhappy with who I was when I was with him? My advice is to not rush into getting back with your ex, but to take time thinking about your well-being and whether your reasons for regretting breaking up is due to loneliness or something else.
Anonymous
You should talk to your ex. Tell him/her that maybe you were just clouded with emotions when you said that. And if she understands, give the relationship another chance. But if not, leave.
generousWaterfall39
It depends. Do you remember the reasons you left? Sometimes people miss being with someone and forget the reasons things were not working well. Time and introspection help with this. It is also a two way street. Your ex may or may not be able to return to the relationship. Either way, be sure you respect yourself as well as your ex. Be honest, communicate and know that you want to try to reconcile for the right reasons.
Taurus26
If you still think that there is a scope of getting back together, make the possible efforts. If you think you have hurt your ex Do whatever you can to fix it Tell them that how much you love them and how difficult it is to be without them.
Anonymous
Tell your ex how you feel and ask if you can spend some time with them. There's nothing wrong with building your relationship back up but if your ex doesn't want to gt back with you then you shouldn't push it.
Lya
Really reflect on the relationship. Was the break-up valid? What would the two of you have to do differently to move forward? Is this the person you genuinely want to be with for a while? If you really want the relationship talk to your ex about it and see if it's salvageable. If it's not, you'll still be okay.
Anonymous
Depends on the way you broke up with them and the duration since your breakup. If the breakup was an emotional decision in an angry moment for any reason; disloyalty included, it'd be relatively easier to return back together once both sides are calm and one side takes the initiative in bringing it up for a mature discussion about what happened and try to find out the possibilities of weather what happened can be overlooked in favour of continuing the relationship or if ending it is better so both sides won't have to endure stress that relationships are meant to counter . Of course Time plays a major role here, you can't just disappear for a year and come back without fear :p ! The second scenario is a bit messy; and I mean if both/either one of them had thought it all out and gradually lost interest in their partner (or in each other), and once it was all done they regret they might have done a mistake, they regret not appreciating the person they had with them! An apology simply won't cut it(except if your partner is really mad in love with you and couldn't just move on, would be easier to apologise and get embraced again :) ). This second case is a bit tricky, and quite Difficult to tackle ; nonetheless; there is always hope! One should improvise and tackle the situation according to their understanding of their partner and the circumstances in which the events took place, no one else can do that for ya! Good luck
Dingleberrez
Relationships can be really tough because there never seems to be a right answer. Search for what you really need in a relationship versus what you're willing to give up for someone you care about. Clearing up your own needs will help you decide what to do next.
MeetVirginia
Sometimes identifying the reasons you broke up, writing them down and seeing a clear picture of why the relationship ended can be a great place to start. I like to write down some things I can identify with triggering those feelings of regret. I then take each one individually and assigning it to a pro or cons category. Beyond that deciding whether the relationship can be repaired or if you still interested in pursuing it. I have had it work both ways for me. Try this when you feel you are in a calm state. I definitely find it difficult to make decisions when I am upset. 7cups is a community of compassionate listeners and sometime just expressing those to someone who will listen without bias can be very helpful as well. Best of Luck. Feel free to reach out again!