I still love my ex. Should I feel this way?

★ This question about Breakups was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.

Elizabeth Kincade, Ph.D.

I work collaboratively with clients because together we can make the changes you want and need. I listen and support and as well as advise and coach.

specialSoul64
ofcourse it is, someone that once used to mean so much to you isnt going to be forgotten about easily. It takes time to move on and no longer feel attached to them.
MakNew22
It is perfectly okay to still be in love with your ex. That is perfectly normal after a break up, but eventually you'll move on & find someone better who makes you happy.
ClareBlissfulSoul22
We feel, what we feel. There is no right or wrong. It takes time to heal and get over the loss of a loved one, the end of a relationship. It is a process, people grieve differently. The feelings may not ever fully go away but the feelings may change over time. After the end of my 7 year relationship I thought I would never get over losing him. I can think of him now and the times we had together and i feel happy for those times we shared and for the experiences, but the feelings are not over powering or as strong as when we first split up. I think it is important to Feel your feelings as they arise, talk about it with trusted friends,write about it, whatever helps you, accept them and Over time things will become easier.
NewRomantic677
January 3rd, 2016 11:17am
I've always believed that there aren't any rights or wrongs when it comes to feelings- that being said, you've got to know what's good for you and what's bad for you. Some emotions, while normal, may need to be controlled/terminated because they may hurt you. Still loving your Ex after a breakup is normal- we all take time to recover from ANYTHING, and especially with breakups feeling this way is fine. However, if you're planning on moving on (I hope you are) you should step forward- acknowledging these feelings are a good start, but now you've gotta make sure they aren't an obstacle to your full recovery. All the best! :D ❤
Michelle0621
You can still love her, love is not illegal, sometimes we break up with someone we love, but love still remains, we can't control our feelings for them, but we can try to make ourselves feel better.
mike251
It is normal. Time is the only thing that will heal yourself. I had a terrible traumatic breakup, and it took me years to overcome it. I would not dwell on loving an ex too much, because with time that will pass.
Akatsuya
You can't help the way you feel, but it is best to try and stay awayif they really or not interested or they treated you badly.
JDM108
Well I guess you should since you do! I think a major hangup for good people is that they're constantly beating themselves up over perceived things they're doing wrong. But on a more practical level, you might look up the new age process cord-cutting.
incarnadinepetals
It is completely normal to still have feelings for your ex. It will take time, but eventually, everyone gets over their past relationships and moves on to better things
MeanBuster
Very much so. If you were abused, you should make sure you not keep the bad and good sides separate. This will aid in full determination of if you love them.
kabylia
yes generally the women fell that they still feel ....
beautifulWaterfall35
Its normal to still have these feelings and nothing to worry about. It's even more difficult if you have been in a long relationship. Time is the only answer.
Aditi24
A breakup puts an end only to the relationship and not to the feelings. You may continue to experience love towards your ex for lifetime by accepting the reality that you two are not together anymore and move on with your life, even love someone else in the future by relegating your ex to your past.
serenekindness66
Heck yeah. If you loved them once you will always love them. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't move on and live your life though.
Anonymous
It is normal for you to have feelings for someone you were atached to. If you loved them it is hard to unlove them
Subneurotic
Its perfectly fine to still love your ex after the relationship is newly ended. We all feel this way.
NeptunePH
November 1st, 2016 8:19am
This is completely normal. A lot of people feel the same way. If you want to get rid of the feelings you have for your ex bf/gf then I suggest getting rid of all your memories of him/her, deleting his phone number, delete all the pictures/texts with him and stuff like that. It should help.
Anonymous
It's completely natural to still love your ex. You have memories of them. Things you've shared. And if it's a recent break up of course you'll still have feelings.
Anonymous
absolutely there is nothing wrong in feeling that way. Love is something you cant control.. it the most beautiful feeling ever..
Vronica23
When you invest your time in a relationship, it's hard to just get over those feelings over night. When someone is in your life in a significant way, it makes sense that they still hold a place in your heart even after you break up. Focus on yourself, and making yourself a better you. Get to know yourself better, and you will see yourself moving forward.
drowninghalo
It's normal to still feel like you haven't moved on--after all, it's easier said than done. It takes time to get over those who mattered, and still loving the person is part of the natural process. But remember, encouraging these feelings are unhealthy, so remember to put distance and move on.
Sprinkles128
Love can mean a lot of things, including and not limited to, attachment, power, desire, wishing well. Which flavor of love went away when your ex because your ex? And which flavor of love are you still holding on to? Also, feelings are thoughts and hormones and sensations that bubble up, and they don't necessarily require action. When the feeling of love (or questioning, or jealousy, or sadness) comes up, notice where it lands in your body, and the sensations that are changing every moment as you swim in that feeling. Make your relationship choices about what to do regarding this ex, when you step outside of those feelings.
Anonymous
Its normal to still be trauma bonded. It will eventually diminish as time goes by. One day you will ask yourself, what happened? The only way to erase an individual from ones life. Grieve, allow the emotions to process, and remove yourself from their life. If an individual leaves without an explanation. They never loved you and treated everyone the same way. Some individuals are so toxic and manipulative. Others can come to an agreement. Without the drama and actually have adult relationships. Not many individuals are worth your trust, integrity and love. Others are worth everything you have to offer. It’s a matter of seeing your worth and knowing when to say goodbye. Nothing last forever and the things that do, well those are rare.
Helping2findaway
yes, it's okay to feel that way because base on my personal experience the feelings does not instantly go away but it takes time.
Anonymous
You still love your ex? Thats not a horrible thing. Its natural to love your ex. If it hasn't been too long since you broke up you may be feeling the same feelings as before.
xXArianaListensXx
That is normal to still love your ex, I still love my ex too. Sometimes you just need to ignore that feeling and move on even though it hurts to move on.
Anonymous
there's no way to control your feelings. I was with my ex for only two months and we have been broken up for a month but i still love him.
wonderfulIcicle35
You have had a loss, so you need to grieve/cry/scream. If you had unfinished business, write a letter for your eyes only, tear/burn after. There is no right/wrong way togriev3/no time limit. Let go will enable you to move on.
AIPandi101
Breaking up and times after breaking up are hard. You're probably not used to not being with them. For a while after your break up you could feel this way, after a while it may pass or it may stay.
Anonymous
It's normal to love your ex because they were once a great big part of you and may still be. I think it's quite normal.