I still love my ex. Should I feel this way?

★ This question about Breakups was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.

Elizabeth Kincade, Ph.D.

I work collaboratively with clients because together we can make the changes you want and need. I listen and support and as well as advise and coach.

Anonymous
It is normal to still love an ex because when you were together, you shared many memorable times together. Usually people like to remember the good and fun times in a relationship and sometimes that love doesn't go away.
StevensLion
It's perfectly fine to still love someone after the relationship has ended. You're not going to be able to immediately stop feeling love for them if you truly did care. However, if they treated you bad, you owe it to yourself not to go back to them. It's okay to still care for them, but don't put yourself back in a bad or harmful situation.
Anonymous
Its okay to feel this way because youve spent times with him be it through sad, happy, or plain times but there is nothing much for you to do but be happy with what you have right now and learn to grow individually.
Anonymous
Yes, it takes a while to let go of someone you cared about deeply. You'll think about them and you will still care and love them for quite some time, but after a while those feelings will fade.
Stormearth
It's normal to still love someone even after a break up. It's not wrong at all. It's not every person that get's over a person just like that.
fruitySunshine64
Yes. It is normal to still be in love with your ex. Base on the time you spend together or the things that tie you and the person; maybe anniversary or weekly activities you both did in the past. You will not easily let go off these feelings unless you have found different activities to do that a new. Change your surrounding and clear the things that remind you of the person.
friendlyEars70
Feeling love for an ex is completely normal! You have memories that you will always share wit this person and caring for them, even after a break up is not only normal, but expected. If you were in a healthy relationship that came to end, it is sometimes hard to let go of those feelings of love you had for one another, but trying accept them, and allowing your memories of the relationship to help you move forward will always open your eyes to greater things that are just around the corner.
Shannon1999
It is natural to still love someone after breaking up with them. You're used to the routine of spending all your time with them and getting their attention. It will take time to get into a different routine without involving them in it! You will move on in your own time, you won't just wake up one day and magically be over them.
Anonymous
I think this feeling is normal. Love is not a switch that can be turned on and off. It takes time to build up and will take time to be let go. Time does heal, and I think with a situation like this you need to give yourself time to heal and accept how you feel.
Anonymous
It is natural to still love someone that you had a long and withstanding relationship with, so it isnt wrong to feel that way.
Moodswinger
Sometimes it is good to recall people's face. You'll get over it Dont worry.alright, dont think too much
Anonymous
If you didnt love your ex, then what your ex meant to you wasnt as strong as you once thought, Your ex was the one who was there for you and all the good things you saw in them isnt just going to disappear after you break up, itll take time and you might still always have that little part that will love him
Alexa24
Love is an extremely strong feeling. I don't believe there's a right answer to your question. Only you know your love story. Let your heart heal and try to focus on yourself.
Anonymous
It's totally normal to still have feelings for people from your past, especially if they meant a lot to you.
Anonymous
Yes. It is possible to still have feelings for someone in your past. It can take time and courage to get over them feelings. It is not wrong that you still have feelings for them.
faisall
It's perfectly normal to still be in love with an ex, you've connected emotionally and physically to this person, and when a relationship ends it's a human reaction to still love him/her.
CHRISTI2016
Sometimes it takes awhile to separate yourself from an ex. Abruptly moving on from someone who has been a large part of your life is difficult. Still having love for that person is not, in any way abnormal to the process on moving on.
Ashley2k18
Yes, because you was in love, but once reality kicks in and you're ready to date again then maybe the feelings will change.
Anonymous
This is very normal. Love is love and you can't control it. Maybe if you find someone else then you will get over your ex.
Anonymous
of course it's human nature it's okay because you'll get over them soon and it'll be okay! ;)!!!!!!!
Anonymous
nothing wrong with that . you can forget him when you 're ready . claim to love him better than avoid him. you love him does not mean you want to have him .
AnanyaJ
Ex's can either be the most heartbreaking people in our lives, or the most annoying people in our lives. For me, my ex was both. During my relationship with him, I never had to stress, because before he was my boyfriend, he was my best friend. There are some moments I shared with him that made me the happiest girl in the world, and I thought I loved him. Even to this day, I think about him at least twice a day. Good memories can't be gotten rid of so easily I guess. I constantly asked myself if thinking about him was still the right thing to do. He had probably moved by now, it's been a whole year. But seeing his name on everything that I ever owned was not making it any easier to forget him.
clariageorge
It is completely natural to feel such things. Sometimes when coming out of a relationship with someone you feel half; not whole. This is okay. Always remember that time heals all scars and bruising.
leanixx
I think it is normal to feel that way. Specially if you havn't really move on yet or if you invest too much feelings to him.
brightPink59
Yes this is totally normal. If you still love him/her tell them and if they dont feel the same way give it time
mononoke
It's perfectly normal to still be in love with your ex, feelings aren't going to go away in a heartbeat, but that's okay - it takes time.
Anonymous
I don't think your feelings are just able to disappear after you have loved someone no matter if they have hurt you or not. We meet many people during our lives that take up a place in our hearts, and that includes an ex.
its10az
Everyone feels this way. Even if you recently broke up, its hard to get over it but it takes time to.
Chile
Your feelings are understandable and totally valid, there is no reason why you should be questioning yourself. Love is difficult to come by and difficult to get over. It is a process that happens gradually and there will be one day when you wake up and realize you are over it. Give it time and be patient with yourself.
Brok3nHeart
you shouldnt feel this way because there is a reason she is youre ex. If you love her still then so be it, but you should love yourself more to realize she is not worth your time.