I still love my ex. Should I feel this way?

★ This question about Breakups was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.

Jennifer Grube, LCSW

I am a celebrant of hope & healing touching the lives of thousands of people as they entrust me with their trauma & triumphs. Won't you walk with me to succeed & achieve?

neverendingMelon46
Its not wrong, sometimes love doesn't go away. I believe that the significant people in our lives never leave our hearts even if they have turned out different to we expected, even if they are the ones on the wrong and there is no chance of being back together
Anonymous
it is okay to feel that you still love your ex . it is not an easy thing to get over a person you really loved over a long period if time . try to keep yourself busy , it might eventually fade away
crispWind68
They're your feelings and you're allowed to feel them! The more important part is to monitor how you act on those feelings. Take some time to analyze why the relationship ended and where it stands now.
Anonymous
It's okay to still have feelings for someone you previously dated, but it's important to remember that you can't live in the past.
mv1995
Breaking up is a hard process. To me, it took a while before I was over my exes. What you can do best is that you take the time for yourself, don't let others rush your process of getting over your ex, take all the time you need ;)
Anonymous
It is normal as you love him truly and there is nothing wrong in being trurthful. In case its crippling you then you should find a way to get rid of it.
Anonymous
If you still love him than its normal, sometimes feelings never change for a person that you had a good relationship with.
Anonymous
It's normal to still have feelings for someone after a relationship. No one magically rids of feelings when the relationship ends, it takes time and with time comes acceptance.
Sangie
It's normal to still have feelings. Just remember why you broke up in the first place. It's never easy to get over a person you cared for. But learning from those problems to put into a new relationship can make you a better person.
bluesdays007
It's completely normal to still have feelings for somebody after the end of a relationship. They don't disappear just like that. It takes some time and it can be a painful process, but in the end, you will have learned a lot about yourself and you will have grown as a person.
SoulfullAshley
It's normal to feel that way after a break up, especially if the two of you had been together for awhile. The two of you went through a lot together, so it is typical to still feel something for them after a break up.
Anonymous
Well when we love someone and had a longest relation time, it's normal have feelings for this person yet, but I guess you should forget him and move on, unless you and he still love each other and want the same thing. If not, then move on and be happy :)
peachysunny
there is no right and wrong when it comes to love. it depends on the situaion the feeling may fade in time
Anonymous
It is perfectly okay to still have feelings for someone that has been a part of your life in this way! It is normal to still have an attachment as long as its healthy.
beautifulxrebel
I think its okay if you still feel this way. You dated them because you love them. It will take time to fully heal and finally say "I don't love him/her anymore" with confidence xD The healing process is faster if you have someone to vent to like a friend, relative etc. There's no need to rush take all the time you need :)
creativeOasis70
It is natural to still love your ex. Those emotions never really go away but you do learn to control them. But if the love was strong then it is hard to get that away.
MIDAS
Try to ask yourself first does your ex still loves you? it's only normal to feel that way I also experience that but it will only make it worst because you expect that your ex will love you back, just don't assume too much about it if both of you are meant to be? God will find a way...
DipityEnigma
You may feel like you love your ex but what you more than likely love is what he is or was. People usually confuse the two and sometimes it's also the reason people end up in a relationship with someone.
Anonymous
There is nothing wrong with the feeling of loving someone who is your ex now. What's wrong is to stick with their memories and not letting go of their presence from your life. What's gone is gone and you can never bring it back. Try and learn to let go off past. People come and go nobody stays forever except for the feelings you have for them. It's absolutely alright to feel love or compassion for them, they were once a part of your life :)
sadi1994
It isn't unnatural to feel this way. We are only human. If you feel that you have invested a lot of time, energy, and effort into a relationship, you may find yourself in love with them even after the breakup. Maybe you could take some time and figure out what you wish to do about these feelings: overlook them and try to move on or try to give that relationship another shot.
heartfulmusings89
There is no specific way you should feel. Just because someone becomes an ex, that doesn't mean the love you had for them goes away. Love doesn't work like that. However in due time, you will be able to move on and love others.
NDS369
You have to ask yourself why did the relationship end? If it was initiated by you then there will be compromises you will have to make. Can You? If it was by your ex, then is it worth getting hurt again?
Mayanasry17
He is your ex for a reason. what i mean to say is that you guys broke up for a reason, get over him and get back on your feet.
heartsNcupcakes
Its natural to feel that way. Normally in those situations I find its healthiest to stay away from your ex until youre ready to further dissect your relationship and see the faults in it. Why it didn't work out. Take some time away to clear your head and be able to see things from a different perspective.
Anonymous
It is quite natural, but after sometime it has to go away or it will get in the way of your life. You have to stop thinking about that person and move on.
MathewTheBull
It's natural to still love an ex as love has always and always will work in mysterious ways which we will never understand.
Imhereforyou88
Depends on what he/she did to you if you just "broke" up that's its normal to have feelings for him/her. If he cheated, hurt you physically or emotionly than its hard to say because if and when you love someone and they hurt you many times or break up with u many times of course your going to want Him/her back because they were your bf/gf. Message me for more support of needed
OmegaZen
It's something that will either go away with time or will stay with you always. The memories and feelings will remain there if the relationship was great, especially if it ended because of circumstances not related to the relationship, such as one having to move far away. The best thing to do is focus on your life now and carry on, using distractions and maintaining the relationships you have now. There's nothing wrong with still having feelings for an ex, but don't dwell on the thoughts and continue with life. Everything unfolds one way or another.
Brittneym101
Well, when it comes to someone that you were so close with once upon of time nobody, but you can tell you how to feel or what you should feel. Whatever is in your heart is what you truly feel. You know that you still love your ex and that's all there is to know really. After all you were once in a relationship with this person. It is completely normal to still have feelings for he/she no matter how much time has passed by since the relationship ended.
YourNotAlone27
Your ex is ex your for a reason, it doesn't just happen. You shouldn't feel that way it takes time to stop loving someone.