I still love my ex. Should I feel this way?

★ This question about Breakups was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.

Jennifer Grube, LCSW

I am a celebrant of hope & healing touching the lives of thousands of people as they entrust me with their trauma & triumphs. Won't you walk with me to succeed & achieve?

Mimi
It is okay to still love someone, even if the friendship or relationship has ended. Sometimes we never stop loving someone, and that is perfectly natural. History, memories, and a story are created with a person or people, so it's quite usual that we keep a special place in our heart for them. Sometimes feelings even fade and we feel nothing at all for a person anymore, that is fine as well.
Hapexamendios
It takes a while to get over an ex sometimes. It's normal to still have feelings for a while. Do your best not to dwell on them or wallow in sadness, though. I know that's easier said than done. Some people don't like platitudes but this one is appropriate: Pain eases over time.
StJaume
It's absolutely normal to love one's ex. In a long-lasting, close, meaningful relationship, it is not easy to let go of ties that have been forged over such a long time. One might even say that not having such feelings after a breakup is an indication of the lack of value or devotion placed in that relationship! We may be led to question ourselves and our ex at every step of the way, and it can be a very confusing time indeed. Don't let this breakup take control of your life, though. As the world turns it goes on. In spite of all the tragedies it has faced and will face, it has found and will continue to find triumphs. And so must we.
HappyTea
Sure! All feelings, regardless of how out-of-place they may seem, are valid and real to the individual feeling them. After the closing of a relationship, the residual feelings still exist. It takes time, and a lot of self-evaluation, to begin to truly gain closure on those emotions.
Isave
love and commitment are two different things. one can love someone but may not be in a relationship with them. love is a natural thing, relationships a re man made. now if you should feel this way or not! Unrequited love is painful. if you dont getting together in the future, this can take a toll on you. so try to convert it into platonic love if possible and then day by day try to get over him. it can be real tough but i know you can do it, if that's what you want.
electricBlanket58
It's normal to feel this way. I have been in the same boat as you but I went back and now we don't talk or anything so I moved on.
Marissa2163
It is completely normal to feel this way. Feelings are natural and take time to get through. Allow yourself the time to think things over. It will be beneficial to you.
Anonymous
I believe, when anyone you have had a strong and trusting relationship ends abruptly, it is perfectly normal to have feelings for them. The feeling's are based off of your experiences and I think that's okay. Some people never stop loving their ex's, they just learn to love them in a different way.
Anonymous
It is ok to still love your ex. I mean you were a couple at one time, who cared for each other. Feelings don't just vanish from one day to the other. Give yourself time and meet other people. You will get over him/her someday.
niceMermaid44
Yes. It's normal to feel like that.
reemahere2help
It is normal to still have feelings for your ex, this only goes to show that your feelings for them were genuine. Sometimes the both of them have genuine feelings but it doesnot work out between the two for a lot reasons. It is totally upto the you if want to give your ex and yourself another chance but give yourself some time and space to understand the reason why you wanted to breakup in the first place. Time and space will let you analyze the reasons and situation that led your breakup and how to work it out if you want to get back together or not.
Anonymous
Love is just an eternal feeling there is nothing wrong to fell but it's wrong to implore our love on others
Anonymous
it is natural to feel that way , that you miss your ex . But know in the first place why you broke up with him/her
Kaelasykes
It's normal. You loved them, you were commited to them. And if things ended on good terms, then you are just a little stuck on them.
Anonymous
It can take a while for people to get over and forget their ex. So I'd say that it is normal to feel that way, as passes those feelings are going to disappear.
Anonymous
We don't always know the right way to feel. There probably is no "correct" way to feel in a situation this sensitive. We should embrace our feelings instead of questioning them.
Anonymous
Its totally normal to feel this way, many people actually do! Just keep in mind that they're your ex for a reason
paul1982
As a person you are an individual. Who is to say what you should and shouldn't feel. You are an individual and like everything else about you your feelings will change in their own time and at their own speed.
kashu510
Having feelings for an ex is common. From my personal experience, with time and distance, those feelings begin to fade away.
KoalaHug
It is totally normal that you can feel this way, to love your ex. But sometimes it's for the best to try let him/her go sadly, no matter how hard it might be. My advice would be to try find an distraction eventho it will be hard sadly.
AnxiousKitten
It is completely normal to still love your ex. This is someone you spent a lot of time with, and you both saw potential in each other. Feelings don't disappear.
BrokenDefinition
You should feel however you need to feel. Try talking to a friend or family member or enjoying things you like to do. Break ups are not an ending.
GirlsNeedGirls
Having feelings for an ex is a really normal thing. Losing a love one or something that we loved can be really hard at times but sooner or later you'll get over it.
BLMlove15
It's normal to feel this way sometimes, and you shouldn't feel ashamed about it. You can still have love for someone you were close with. If the relationship was meant to end, keep it that way.
Anonymous
You can never stop feeling intensely for people who have gad major effect on your life. Learn to love them from a distance and love yourself for all you can.
Anonymous
Well, love is something that doesn't just fade away but sometimes.. The best way to love a person is from afar..
Anonymous
Love is never a bad thing to feel and my ex is a part of my life once. For me, I will let that love stay until my heart is ready to let go and I'm not going to rush it because the time will eventually comes.
Anonymous
Of course. you're going to feel that way for awhile. but what u nneed to do is do something to get your mind off your crush or move on to someone else
compassionateLove39
It's okai not to be over your ex right away. Only you knows best whether or not there is still a chance to get them back. If there is a chance, go for it. If not, take your time to move on and focus on your self development
neverendingMelon46
Its not wrong, sometimes love doesn't go away. I believe that the significant people in our lives never leave our hearts even if they have turned out different to we expected, even if they are the ones on the wrong and there is no chance of being back together