How do I tell my parents I'm depressed?

How do I tell my parents I'm depressed?

Victoria Cook, LCSW

I work to meet all clients where they are - working first to understand their needs and employing the tools needed to help them become their best, most empowered selves.

bambooPanda15
Try to bring it out slowly by telling them that you are sad. Or even just feel a little depressed...
Anonymous
Slowly. If you don't want to talk to them get a therapist to help you to find ways to tell them. You should tell them in case they want to help you.
Anonymous
How you decide to have that conversation is up to you. It may help to do this during a doctor's office visit with your primary care physician, whom can answer more questions for your parents than you may be able to.
Anonymous
Your parents love you, so trust me when i say they would rather you let them know how you feel, rather then suffering the consequences later. Your parents are adults and should understand.
Loveforever0422
Say "Mom, I am depressed, and I would like it if you could get me some help. If you could. Be safe!"
Sweetiepiejessie
Sit them down and talk to them about how you feel. They will understand and be there for you. Parents Are there for you no matter what.
Anonymous
Calmly sit down with them and explain how you are feeling. I know its hard so take your time and try to stay calm. Your parents love you and want the best for you, if you feel confident enough maybe ask them if they could help you with getting some further help or if they could listen if you are not feeling okay
Souls567
I told my mom flatly, and told her the reasons and how I wanted to get better, tell them the truth.
Anonymous
Be honest with them. Tell them how you are feeling. I know it's harder to act on it than to say it but if you never seek the help you need then it will be harder to dig you out. Seek the help. You don't have to say it to them but you can also write it down in a letter or a text. Whatever you do its best.
Unicornsparkles94
Don't have fear of telling them, just sit own and talk t them and tell how you are feeling, you will probs feel better for letting it out in the open, they will probs want to support you so that you don't feel so alone!
Anonymous
I would recommend by first asking your parents for a moment of their undivided attention to talk. Once that is established I would acknowledge to them that this is difficult to say but I'm stressed/overworked/sad/depressed/et cetera, and would like unconditional positivity from them to help support me.
Anonymous
Sit them down, and go through the emotions and try to explain. It can be uncomfortable sometimes, and occasionally awkward, but in all honesty, it's something that needs to happen.
EternalMaps
There is no easy way to tell them. Sit them down at a convenient time and explain to them how you feel.
colorfulSummer66
It's hard to admit to anyone that you're feeling depressed. It can be intimidating, but ultimately your parents will be glad that you told them how you felt, so they can guide you towards the help you need.
Sam177
I would write them a letter telling them exactly how you feel that way you have time to figure out what you want to say and you can always go back and reword things before giving it to them!
Anonymous
have a sit down with them and tell them how you are feeling and the reason you feel depressed im sure they will understand
summertheseason
Telling your parents you're depressed can be hard. I recommend doing it at a time when they can give you their complete attention. Not when they are stressed from work, busy cleaning, or doing something else. Try mentioning to them that you've been feeling a little off recently, and would like to talk to them about it, Be ready to explain, in detail, how you have been feeling. It's okay if you aren't sure why you're feeling that way, but chances are, they are asking so they can understand. Typically, parents will be worried about you and not upset. Stay strong. & good luck,
Winter41
March 3rd, 2016 3:00am
Parents are supposed to be your angels on Earth , choose the parent that you are closer to and explain why and how you feel and I am sure they will understand
tuesmuycaliente
March 3rd, 2016 2:53pm
Ease into it and ask for help and advice from them. Try to help them understand why you're depressed. Try and be courteous to their feelings as well. It may be a lot for them to take in.
Anonymous
Some people can just sit them down and talk to them but others find that difficult so perhaps writing a letter explaining how you feel.
Anonymous
Telling your parents that you are depressed can be hard. But, you do have to tell them. People can be really supportive and help you out! So when your ready (don't rush!) you can tell them.
sunflowersandsunshine47
I think you should just be straight up. Tell them what it is, and why you have it (if you know the cause of it and are comfortable talking about it, and tell them that you want to get help
FroggySarafina
Try to sit down with them and express how you feel in a mature and simple way. Try to put a name to all of your emotions.
Gozzil
Try to think of depression as an illness like any other. Would you be embarrassed or worried they'd judge you for having a sore throat or a stomach bug? Depression is as real an illness as any other. From a personal point of view, I explained my symptoms during a doctor's appointment and the doctor suggested it. My mum was present and the support of a medical professional took away some of the anxiety that she would laugh at me or not believe me.
insightfulParadise25
It's not easy to tell your parents you are depressed, as they will see this as a failure on their behalf to keep you happy, but they will appreciate you being able to talk to them and tell them. It will start you on a pathway of feeling better.
Anonymous
What I do is if I am feeling down I tell my parents I really don't feel like doing anything at all because (insert main issue here). I go into detail about what is upsetting me and how at times I feel as if I don't have actual friends and that I'm lonely. I repeat this process each time I feel down and my parents eventually get the message. My mom recently told me that if I need a counselor we can work one out.
Anonymous
talk to them directly.Tell them your problems. Don't be ashamed about it. They will help you for sure
zaix
I say, you sit down and have a conversation with them. They cannot read your mind so you have to let them know what is going on and help them help you.
SoulEaterEvans
I'm sure your parents will understand if you say, "Mom, Dad, i need to tell you something important. I am going through some tough times, you may or may not see it in me, but i'm depressed. Can you help me?"
Anonymous
First things first; Depression is nothing to be ashamed of. Remember that it's a everyday thing that millions of people struggle with. It's a battle you have to fight, but not one you should be ashamed of. Talk to your parents simply like this; Be honest, state the facts, and be aware that even though you're the one talking about your pain, knowing you're hurting can cause people hurt and worry to. But telling them helps them know you need help.