How do I tell my parents I'm depressed?

How do I tell my parents I'm depressed?

Lisa Meighan, MSc Psychology

Hello, I am Lisa and I work in a person-centred approach mixed with cognitive behavioural therapy. I believe we all have the potential to be the best we can be.

Anonymous
Calmly sit down with them and explain how you are feeling. I know its hard so take your time and try to stay calm. Your parents love you and want the best for you, if you feel confident enough maybe ask them if they could help you with getting some further help or if they could listen if you are not feeling okay
summertheseason
Telling your parents you're depressed can be hard. I recommend doing it at a time when they can give you their complete attention. Not when they are stressed from work, busy cleaning, or doing something else. Try mentioning to them that you've been feeling a little off recently, and would like to talk to them about it, Be ready to explain, in detail, how you have been feeling. It's okay if you aren't sure why you're feeling that way, but chances are, they are asking so they can understand. Typically, parents will be worried about you and not upset. Stay strong. & good luck,
Anonymous
Tell your parents that you need them to fully listen to what you have got to say and explain to them how you have been feeling for however long it may have been. Tell them you would like their support and love. then you can tell them your problem.
saintmccallister
You tell them on your own time, number one. Number two, you let them know that you're coming to them because you want them to be apart of your life-- no more isolation.
Anonymous
It depends on what type of people your parents are. Some people are good listeners others tend to give order much more than to listen to their children. If your parents who listen to you, tell them directly. If not, try to advertise the idea to them. For example, give them magazines, books etc that talk about depression. Also you can ask them to watch TV shows or any other TV programmes about depression. If that is not working for you, don't worry there are many other ways to inform them such as, telling your teachers to inform your parents or your GP doctor. If you cannot see your doctor alone, tell your parents that you need to see a doctor or when you go with your parents to see a doctor for any reason,, tell the doctor about your depression and to tell your parents about it and what they should do. Also, you can write a letter for them or sending them some messages to explain that you have depression. Don't feel bad if they don't listen to you, it means nothing. People trust different people in different things. For instance, some people trust doctors, some people trust relatives, some people trust close friends, some people trust religious people etc. If you know who they trust and who does understand about depression, you can ask that person to inform your parents. May happiness be your best friend 😘💞💞💕💕💕💕
Anonymous
i dont have a specific answer for that, all parents are different and they all react in different ways. if you dont feel like talking eye to eye, write a letter and give it to them, or text them. express yur feelings, tell them how you really feel, your feelings matter, if you dont feel like they are supporting you, you can always reach for help, there are many wonderful people here who can help you. you are enough and it will go well, everyone believes in you, thank you for having the courage to ask this question, that was very brave of you!
Anonymous
Have an open conversation with them, explaining how you feel, the sadness, the lack of motivation, emptiness, the lost of pleasure in activities you used to like. Tell them it's a disease like a physical one, that chances the pathways and chemistry of your brain so you can't think positively or feel better by your own. I think that you should be really honest with them so they can understand you, they sure want the best for you and will listen. You are very brave in willing to tell your parents and get the help you need and sure you will express what you feel the best as you can.
Anonymous
If conversations feel awkward, writing things down on a piece of paper and posting them in an envelope can take away some anxiety from this. Take your time and don't rush the process, ensure aswell that your parents are in a good frame of mind first if possible. Remember, our parents are also human aswell so if you feel uncomfortable sharing things with them or difficulties, there are other resources available for you to get support. These include school counselors, friends, teachers, even here on 7cups! Think carefully before sharing your depression with your parents but if you feel it would be beneficial for you then absolutely go for it
Anonymous
You have to go to your parents then tell that mom/dad I'm not feeling good nowadays. Tell them what is bothering you. You have to be clear and confident. Or just think like what would you suggest to your friend if he was in this situation. Open your heart to your parents they are here to support you. I know you will be feeling a bit scared of telling to your parents. But depression is not something to be kept secret. It is just a mental state when we don't like anything, don't enjoy anything, just like to be alone. What you all need is an uplift that will encourage you.I hope your parents will listen to you but if they don't listen you need to talk to your friends, teachers or relatives. So that they can support you and also convince your parents to listen to you. Because you should be listened to. Again go and tell them, they will understand.
Siciturastra
There is no easy way to tell your parents. You just need to tell them. As a objective observer, if you really feel like “you want to kill yourself” then you are depressed. There is no 90%/10% about it. You need help to cope with what you are going through. Don’t worry, many people experience it at some time in their lives. It isn’t anything to be worried about. The only thing to be careful of is some of the medications that they can give you like Paxil have side effects that include “thoughts of suicide”. Not sure how that is supposed to help, and not even sure how they can sell a drug to prevent suicide that has a side effect of “overwhelming thoughts or actions of suicide”. I know because my best friend was depressed back in November 8, 2011 and sought treatment by December 2011 and by January 29, 2012 ended up committing suicide thanks to the medication he was on. He didn’t tell anyone that the insomnia was getting worse so he quit his meds and when you quit those medications all at once it has the effect of causing those thoughts of suicide to be so strong most people can’t resist them. How do I know? Because in November 1997, I sought treatment for mild depression and took the prescribed meds for 30 days and the side effects were horrible. Thankfully, I was also working through my issues with the help of a medical professional and I was able to share the side effects and have them step down my dose and get off the meds. Ultimately, a few months later in March 1998 I would meet my wife having worked hard on the root cause of my depression and I was able to emerge from it all better for the experience. That was almost 20 years ago and I have thankfully never experienced that since, but it was because I had the right professional help that helped me restore the right work/life balance and eliminate the cause of my depression. Telling your parents is only the first step, you have to keep them informed on how it is going and you have to seek the help of a trained medical professional to help you sort out what is causing the depression in the first place. I hope this all helps. You are not alone. Millions of people suffer with the same issues that you have. Thanks for asking the question. Your parents love you and there is no good way to tell them, just walk into their room as soon as you can and say “Mom, Dad, I have something that I need to share with you. I have been depressed for some time now and I am not sure what I should do about it. I need your help. I think I may need to see a doctor about it and maybe work through my issues with the help of someone. Can you help me?” They are your parents, and they love you. They will be grateful you did.
bambooPanda15
Try to bring it out slowly by telling them that you are sad. Or even just feel a little depressed...
Anonymous
Slowly. If you don't want to talk to them get a therapist to help you to find ways to tell them. You should tell them in case they want to help you.
Anonymous
How you decide to have that conversation is up to you. It may help to do this during a doctor's office visit with your primary care physician, whom can answer more questions for your parents than you may be able to.
Anonymous
Your parents love you, so trust me when i say they would rather you let them know how you feel, rather then suffering the consequences later. Your parents are adults and should understand.
Loveforever0422
Say "Mom, I am depressed, and I would like it if you could get me some help. If you could. Be safe!"
Anonymous
Be honest with them. Tell them how you are feeling. I know it's harder to act on it than to say it but if you never seek the help you need then it will be harder to dig you out. Seek the help. You don't have to say it to them but you can also write it down in a letter or a text. Whatever you do its best.
Unicornsparkles94
Don't have fear of telling them, just sit own and talk t them and tell how you are feeling, you will probs feel better for letting it out in the open, they will probs want to support you so that you don't feel so alone!
Anonymous
I would recommend by first asking your parents for a moment of their undivided attention to talk. Once that is established I would acknowledge to them that this is difficult to say but I'm stressed/overworked/sad/depressed/et cetera, and would like unconditional positivity from them to help support me.
Anonymous
Sit them down, and go through the emotions and try to explain. It can be uncomfortable sometimes, and occasionally awkward, but in all honesty, it's something that needs to happen.
EternalMaps
There is no easy way to tell them. Sit them down at a convenient time and explain to them how you feel.
colorfulSummer66
It's hard to admit to anyone that you're feeling depressed. It can be intimidating, but ultimately your parents will be glad that you told them how you felt, so they can guide you towards the help you need.
Sam177
I would write them a letter telling them exactly how you feel that way you have time to figure out what you want to say and you can always go back and reword things before giving it to them!
Anonymous
have a sit down with them and tell them how you are feeling and the reason you feel depressed im sure they will understand
Winter41
March 3rd, 2016 3:00am
Parents are supposed to be your angels on Earth , choose the parent that you are closer to and explain why and how you feel and I am sure they will understand
tuesmuycaliente
March 3rd, 2016 2:53pm
Ease into it and ask for help and advice from them. Try to help them understand why you're depressed. Try and be courteous to their feelings as well. It may be a lot for them to take in.
Anonymous
Some people can just sit them down and talk to them but others find that difficult so perhaps writing a letter explaining how you feel.
Anonymous
Telling your parents that you are depressed can be hard. But, you do have to tell them. People can be really supportive and help you out! So when your ready (don't rush!) you can tell them.
Anonymous
I think you should just be straight up. Tell them what it is, and why you have it (if you know the cause of it and are comfortable talking about it, and tell them that you want to get help
FroggySarafina
Try to sit down with them and express how you feel in a mature and simple way. Try to put a name to all of your emotions.
Anonymous
Try to think of depression as an illness like any other. Would you be embarrassed or worried they'd judge you for having a sore throat or a stomach bug? Depression is as real an illness as any other. From a personal point of view, I explained my symptoms during a doctor's appointment and the doctor suggested it. My mum was present and the support of a medical professional took away some of the anxiety that she would laugh at me or not believe me.