How do I tell my parents I'm depressed?

How do I tell my parents I'm depressed?

Victoria Cook, LCSW

I work to meet all clients where they are - working first to understand their needs and employing the tools needed to help them become their best, most empowered selves.

ZaraSmiles
This is a pretty tough question because there's no one way about it. You know your parents way better than I or anyone else could, so I think the answer you're looking for is in you. What I can suggest, however, is asking them to take some time to have a quiet talk together - in which you explain your feelings and what you want them to do for you. Maybe they'll take it well and support you all the way, perhaps not. Regardless, you are so strong and so brave for taking this step to confide in your family and that is a quality that can never be measured. I'm so proud of you, sweet one.
BeIiever
Telling your parents you're depressed can be really intimidating. Some people find it easier to write them a letter about it, or even just a text that will initiate further contact. Get them to sit down, they will probably be upset about hearing their child is struggling so much. If it worries you how they will react, you could tell them that you have to tell them something, but you just want them to listen to you and not say anything until you tell them you're ready to hear their feedback.
Anonymous
It's hard to tell your parents you're depressed. Even though they'll understand your feelings, it's hard to scoop up the courage to talk to your parents. To ease the anxiety, just hint that you're feeling sad, don't flat out say it. Explain your feelings, and they'll get the message.
youcangetbetter
Well...I would start with telling them you have been feeling sad lately, as simple as that, then when they ask why, you can go deeper with the situation so they can help. But in no way i would go " OMG I AM DEPRESSED HELP YOU TERRIBLE PARENT"
Kart12
By being frank and honest with them, try to write a note or a letter to them if you think you could not tell them face to face
Dreamer2626
To be honest, this is a question I've asked myself a million times over the past few years. Last night I finally managed to tell my mom. It really isn't easy, but it's worth it. I found an article that explained how depression feels and made her read it, since I couldn't find a way to explain it myself. I also asked her to read some poems that I wrote explaining how I felt at the time. I know it's very scary, but it's better for them to know than for you to have to go through it alone. Or at the very least, it's better not to live with secrets.
Helper91
I have a friend named Peter who once struggled with depression and wanted to die. He tried and failed and today he's so glad. You see, everything looked so bleak then that he could never imagine that things would change, but they did. Life got better, way better, but the first thing he had to do was to be real about he felt. You did that with us today. It's so important that you tell your parents, but if you feel as if they won't understand, maybe you could talk to someone first who can help, who knows the right things to say and who might even help you find the words to tell your mom and dad. One is your youth pastor or pastor. Be honest with them. If they don't listen, go to someone who will that is an adult and someone that you trust, like a youth sponsor, school counselor, Sunday school teacher. If they don't listen as they should, let them know that you are serious, that you're really struggling and need help to make it through this tough time.
Anonymous
It's not always an easy step to tell one's parents about depression. There is always a fear of not being taken seriously, that they might not understand or that they would dismiss it as a "phase". So it's good to start by sitting them down and showing them the seriousness of what you are about to reveal. Maybe tell them about what you have been feeling first, why you have been feeling as such and the problems you have encountered from being in this way. Wait for them to respond and then proceed by telling them about your state of depression. Allow it to sink in for a moment. It is natural that they ask you questions about it and sometimes respond by saying things like "Are you sure?" "How long has this been going on?" or "It's not THAT bad." Know that some ate not fully aware about what depression is so you may want to explain it a little further and how it has been bothering you so much. The key is patience in responding to their queries. Even if mustering the effort to be patient is hard in itself.
Anonymous
Make sure it's a calm situation on a quiet and calm place where no one can just walk in on you. Try to explain you want to tell something and ask if they will listen. Then tell them.
CaringJoy
They probably already know something is wrong but you can start by saying "I'm not feeling like myself, I've been sad and have no desire to anything so I think I'm depressed".
Anonymous
Start by saying you need them to spend an hour or so with you, then lightly bring up how you feel upset, have a good long conversation about what makes you feel depressed
Anonymous
Try not to leave it too long, if your nervous you can write a letter or just come straight out with it. They would feel better knowing sooner than later. I think just dont hold back.
Anonymous - Expert in Depression
Ask to talk to them (seriously talk). Sit them down with you and try to explain to them what you have been going through and how you have been feeling of late or however long it has been. Explain in as much detail as possible and if needed ask them questions and console if they are willing in them. If needed you could speak to them about seeing a counsellor as well.
Anonymous
You don't need to. They will ask you if it really shows ... Best you can do is spend time with them and learn more of what they are to you. :)
AngelHavens7
February 21st, 2016 3:50pm
That's a very very very touchy subject, depending who your parents are... Some parents accept it and offer to get you help, others Deny your depression and will be angry with or reject it. So just focus on things that are bothering you, let them know those things, if they don't offer help don't worry it's common in some parents to do that, See a doctor :)
Anonymous
Telling your parents that you are feeling depressed can be a challenge. In a perfect world it qould be easy, and not at all a worry. However a lot of people feel uneasy, anxious, or worried for one reason or another. We fear looking weak, like a failure or that we will face ridicule, which is understandable. Just remember... your parents LOVE you, even if it feels like they dont. They will be there for you when you need them, to support you. If they aren't able to help you in the way that you need.. keep looking! Dont stop trying!!!
printedonthewall
Try sitting them down at a time they're both very calm and happy. Make sure to tell them this situation is serious and explain some feelings you've had over time. Youll be scared of course, but that is completely normal. Your parents should sympathise with you, and offer to schedule you with a therapist or even see a doctor for medication.
IntrovertedPandaNZ
Tell them that you have depression. Family is meant to support you in times like these. Please, I promise.
ImyourFriend18
March 22nd, 2017 12:42am
It's always hard to tell someone close about your problems, especially depression. I suggest to sit down with your parents. Try to explain it's a serious issue and tell them exactly how do you feel. Maybe if you'd make a tea or coffee for them before, it'll be more comfortable. Good luck.
Anonymous
The best way to tell your parents is to explain to them that you've been depressed and down lately and you're worried about it. Tell your parents also why you're depressed (if that's possible). Or arrange an appointment with a professional to determine what causes your depression.
positiveBreeze62
Telling you're parents that you suffer from depression can be stressful especially if you don't know how they're going to respond. I have suffered from a similar issue and I found that the best way was to tell them in advance that you want to talk to them about something, this then prepares them and makes sure that they'll find time to talk to you and the conversation won't be rushed. Begin with telling them how you feel. I found that jumping straight into it and saying "I've got depression" can cause your parents to become distressed and worried. However, if you begin with telling them how you feel, it slowly eases them into it. Also don't feel pressured to tell your parents if you feel that they won't empathize or understand, instead tell someone you trust.
Fenixashes37
Be completely honest. What and why. Every parenting is different. But whatever their reaction, try to be humble about it and seek help from your parents. Because if they can't help, you gotta have to find help from friends and don't forget us here at 7cups that will always listen to you.
Anonymous
If you tell your parents then be ready for what they say because sometimes parents dont understand other time they do and maybe say you want to see a doctor or therapist.
shvrry
Try approaching them about how you feel or sit down and have a talk with them about depression. Open up to them and tell them what's wrong. Tell them that you need someone.
Helpisonthewayxo
Speaking out about depression can sometimes be quite a hard action. Sit down quietly with them, explain that times have been tough and you're feeling low. If it doesn't click, you need to explain softly about your depression. Help is always avaloble.
Anonymous
Sit them down. Have an actual, real conversation with them about how you're feeling and let them know that you aren't in any harms way, but just feeling depressed. Tell them you're going to do something about it (like see a counselor maybe) so they don't get all up in your face about seeing a doctor. They love you and they'll be supportive.
Lizzenah1
The best way to approach an issue especially one such as depression is head on. Sit them down tell them straight and talk about the next step.
Anonymous
Tell your parents that you need them to fully listen to what you have got to say and explain to them how you have been feeling for however long it may have been. Tell them you would like their support and love. then you can tell them your problem.
saintmccallister
You tell them on your own time, number one. Number two, you let them know that you're coming to them because you want them to be apart of your life-- no more isolation.
Anonymous
It depends on what type of people your parents are. Some people are good listeners others tend to give order much more than to listen to their children. If your parents who listen to you, tell them directly. If not, try to advertise the idea to them. For example, give them magazines, books etc that talk about depression. Also you can ask them to watch TV shows or any other TV programmes about depression. If that is not working for you, don't worry there are many other ways to inform them such as, telling your teachers to inform your parents or your GP doctor. If you cannot see your doctor alone, tell your parents that you need to see a doctor or when you go with your parents to see a doctor for any reason,, tell the doctor about your depression and to tell your parents about it and what they should do. Also, you can write a letter for them or sending them some messages to explain that you have depression. Don't feel bad if they don't listen to you, it means nothing. People trust different people in different things. For instance, some people trust doctors, some people trust relatives, some people trust close friends, some people trust religious people etc. If you know who they trust and who does understand about depression, you can ask that person to inform your parents. May happiness be your best friend 😘💞💞💕💕💕💕