How to talk to a therapist without your parents knowing?

Richard Manson, BSW,CAP

Drug & Alcohol Counselor

Compassionate, non-judgemental and experienced substance abuse therapist driven to helping guide clients to overcome issues relating to abusing drugs and/or alcohol.

UniqueLife
find one that provides e-mail addresses or even better, free e-mail, chat, phone, or online counseling. You can arrange a session outside of their clinic. Some provides free sessions outside work hours.
Anonymous
arrange an appointment all meetings with therapists are confidential so you can talk to them and your parents would never find out
ImmaMonster
If you want to talk to a therapist it is often best to go and talk in person, but if you live with your parents and don't want them to know then going online is probably a good move. There are many support sites online for depression, anxiety, paranoia, suicide, OCD, PTSD, insomnia, etc and they will often help for someone to listen and give advice but from experience i find that it's more of a short term thing and sometimes going long term is soooo much better. Which often means that you would need parental consent to go to a therapist in person. Often it is better to tell your parents how you feel and that you want some support from a professional. You don't have to do this and I know it goes against the question slightly but I opened up to my parents and it has been much better.
Anonymous
There are definitely ways around your parents finding out! Try to find counseling services that are non-profit (google is your best friend) and contact them about any scholarships they have available for people that can not afford treatment, or can not use insurance. They want to help people like you and me and are very up front with what some options are. If you are in school, there should be free and anonymous counseling services offered.
Anonymous
there are loads of hotlines and online chats that people talk to you on but its online or over the phone
compassionateTime92
well to talk to a therapist without the knowledge of parents is simple of course but if you share your problems with your parents thats much more helping than any therapists......because they were our first doctors teachers lawyers and therapists too
Miracle
It depends how old you are (if you are considered a minor in your country) on whether your parents will know if you have been speaking to a therapist. It may be worth speaking to your family doctor about your concerns who may be able to put you in touch with a therapist who you can then tell that you don't want your parents knowing and they may be able to explore the limits of confidentiality with you. Some schools also have counsellors you can speak to without your parents knowing and it might also be worth speaking to a helpline in your country for advice on specific issues eg. Teen pregancy or drug use.
kindwhisperer
Depends on the financial resources you have to support a therapist. I think that if you can pay the sessions, it doesn't include your parents agreement, but that shouldn't be a secret or something to be afraid/ashamed of in front of your parents. As a parent, I would be proud if my child is mature enough to understand that he needs professional help. If you're a teen and don't have a job to pay for therapy sessions, it's always a good idea to check with the counselor at your school or college and that person would respect the rule of confidentiality.
Lina16
You don't need to be afraid to talk to a therapist. Telling your parents about what you are going through can make you feel a lot better. They will support you and help you get through it :)
SimplyBeing
This is a hard question. Getting to see a therapist without anyone knowing is a bit of a challenge. If you mean how to get to talk to a therapist and have the therapist not tell your parents the specifics of what you are talking about then depending on where you live that is usually possible unless you discuss ongoing abuse or a risk of hurting yourself. In those cases therapist usually have to make sure you are safe. So if your parents would arrange for you to see someone the first question you ask is what do you have to tell my parents and what is private. Basically, What are my rights as a client. You do have rights. You just have to find out how to advocate for yourself. I wish you peace! J
Anonymous
I see the school's counsellor. My dad doesnt even know
Anonymous
it depends where you live. but I think in the most areas there should be the possibility of "acute advise" given by a professional. so maybe you cold turn to the next hospital with mental health department and ask them for advise, where you could get help for free or how to talk to your parents about it.
Anonymous
7 Cups of Tea is a good way to talk through your problems for free & in all confidence. However if you want to speak with a licensed professional, and if you are under the age of 18, It's best to talk with your parents about therapy, If anything it might bring you and your parents closer as well as earning their trust.
ErinKay
This depends on your age. Most places, in the United States anyway, require parental consent if you're under 18.
Lovelyymee
Talking to a school counselor to help find one for you, you can also ask a trusting friend to help .
GentleWolfPup
There are always websites online (Real genuine websites) who have professionals available to help. Most of them are free, and no one will know your real identity.
allnaturalMango84
Your school therapist is legally obliged to not report anything to your parents unless you give them permission.
Anonymous
There are services provided for free online or hotlines you can call without your parents knowing.
SurvivorOfaPaperTown
Try to find a therapist online or maybe ask your school counseller to help you out. Tell them you don't want your parents to know but need help. I'm sure they'd understand.
supportiveshoulder15
Over the age of 18, Doctors have to keep patient confidentiality! If under 18, speak to someone online.
deedee1909
There are plenty of online forums where you can chat anonymously; however, if you use a shared computer, or your computer is not password protected, then do open an in private/incognito window to insure your parents cannot see your browsing history Therapists within schools, colleges and other such organisations must follow confidentiality protocol, they are however allowed to share information if you are under a certain age (dependant on country) and they feel that you may cause harm to yourself or others, or you need safeguarding.
Alden94
You should not hide the fact you are seeing a therapist. You have to be honest to yourself and honest to your family/friends.
Anonymous
Ah been through the exact same issue .That's why I came here.Helped a lot .Helped get over my issues
Jerome28
Talking to a therapist beneficially contributes toward resolution of problems. Therapy often promotes positive development. Nowadays, it's possible to talk to a therapist online or by phone. If an in-person appointment is sought, utilize the metro bus system, take a cab, or have a trusted friend take you to your appointment.
Anonymous
Try online therapists and using your tablet or computers with password should'nt be a problem and they will not able to hack in
yourfriend84
as everyone use their own device it is easy to talk a therapist. they can talk to therapist when they are alone
HereToHelpYou742
There's many options if you live in the US then you have to be over 13 years of age yo see a mental health professional. They may ask why you don't want your parents involvement, such as my parents don't believe in therapy to they don't want to get me help. If you are in school talk to your school counselor most have the same license as a therapist in private practice. If you find a therapist try to find on under your insurance plan that could help cover it make sure to bring the card with you.
Anonymous
I think unless you over the age of 18, or have some guardian with you then its very hard to a therapist without parental concent
maddybear01
Depending on your age, see if your school does some kind of free counseling. I know that my high school has therapists that will see students during their study hall/free period. If you are in college, I think most colleges have free/cheap counseling in the human services/development center.
truefriend123
I will always suggest to talk to your parent about it! These people are always there for you! but you can always say that you're going to a friend