How to talk to a therapist without your parents knowing?

Richard Manson, BSW,CAP

Drug & Alcohol Counselor

Compassionate, non-judgemental and experienced substance abuse therapist driven to helping guide clients to overcome issues relating to abusing drugs and/or alcohol.

Anonymous
I will pretend a live doll is about to attack them and find ways to trick them out and become funner.
Anonymous
if you are under 18 you are not an adult and they have responsibility for you, talk to them or you have to find someone here
bigDreamer94
If you are under 18, legally your parents must sign of and content. I know this due to personal experience. When you are 18 and above , legally a therapist cannot talk to your parents and only you
coolj9
Scheduling appointment with request of keeping therapeutic session confidential can help. Attending session online is also a convenient option.
AfternoonFirefly
Teens who need professional help should generally talk to their parents before doing so, but if you absolutely cannot tell them, I suggest fing a self help book or an online counselor. :)
Anonymous
You can talk to a therapist without your parents knowing online, through a free call helpline or by talking to a school counselor.
elliejade
The best thing to do is to ask your school about it, there could be and probably will be someone there. Though it may take you a while because there will be a whole list of people that he/she may need to see, or maybe there is more than one. Other than that you can get your GP to refer you to someone as your doctor has to keep everything between you and him. I don't know whether that is based on age or not though. Could be that if you're under 18 and it's life threatening that they tell, but otherwise doctors shouldn't tell your parents that you have requested to see a therapist.
KaylaMichelle
There are a few ways to talk to a therapist without your parents knowing. One way to do so is talking with your school counselor. many schools have outreach counselors (focus more on mental health and student support). Most of times school counselors will not notify your parents of your meetings. There are some rules regarding confidentiality but other than that you should be good!
ghostPastry
Are you currently attending school? Most schools have a counselor you could talk to. If that isn't an option, it might be best to have an honest discussion with your parents about the reasons why you'd like to see a therapist. Who knows, maybe they'll be supportive!
Anonymous
If you're still going to school, there's most likely a guidance counselor who works there. Most students like to go to them with their problems. Since you don't want your parents to know, school is the perfect place to talk to someone without them watching you.
Anonymous
It depends how old are you and what do your parents want to know about you and see from there. I would also try to see if i can see a doctor too.
Mariekehere
It is possible to start talking to a school counselor without your parents knowing about it. They are usually very helpful as well.
LucilleLovesYou
I'm not sure that's possible if you're under the age of 18. Maybe try your school councilor? 7 cups listeners are not verified professionals but we are here to listen so that might help too. Hope I helped.
Anonymous
Just tell your parents that im a very well known friend to you that im here to help you in every way possible
Anonymous
In most states, if you are above the age of 14, you can recive professinal help without it being the therpist being required to share the information with your paents unless they suspect that you might be a danger to yourself. Unfortunatly, unless you can find a free clinic, you may be required to pay a fee for the visit. You can also talk with a therpist online or over the phone and do so anonymously.
Anonymous
There are charity organisations who can give you counselling below the age of 18. It would however be best to sit down with your parents and talk to them as they may be able to help.
consciousme
If you're still in school, a lot of schools have councilors that you can see. I talk to one at my school :)
Clementine103
You could talk to me. We could arrange a time to meet each week. I could try my best to be helpful.
SebastianAvery14
March 3rd, 2016 1:40am
If you have a bus nearby, it can be helpful to take it to the place you are going unless the place is far. If you have money saved up, you can use that if the charge for this therapist is in that budget. You could get a friend to help or another family member that you trust.
courageousHand17
If you are under 18, I doubt this is possible. I don't imagine professionals talk to minors without parental consent, and you don't have your own health insurance yet. If you are over 18, but don't have your own health insurance, you will either have to pay out of pocket to speak to a professional. If you are over 18 and have your own health insurance, then I assume this is not a problem for you. If seeing a professional or paying for one is out of the question due to either age or health insurance and financial status, consider searching for support groups in your area. Sometimes professionals volunteer their services to lead support groups. Also, even if it's a support group without a professional therapist, you might be able to benefit from getting to speak to people. If you are in school, try looking into any resources that your school might offer.
Anonymous
You should let your parents know that you need a counselor if you’re below eighteen years old. If you’re over eighteen years old, it doesn’t matter if they don’t want you seeing help, because it is your right. If you’re younger than 18, ask their permission and talk it out. Are you over 18? Then you have enough rights. I understand how you feel completely; wondering how your parents react.
fancydrums00
this website is basically used for online therapy for emotions of course. you can talk to any listener about your problems and provide you with the best therapy we can give.
MrRoboticWrites
I think it depends how old you are. I believe, if you're 16 you can go to any medical professional and they don't have to disclose that you went to them.
duckyismyname14
Some cities have places you can go to. Where I live, you can go somewhere and talk with a counselor. Free the first 3 times and they don't need any information and your parents won't know unless it's severe. However, they can't give you medicine without your parents knowing.
Freewillsky
No doubt -- the older you are, the easier this is. Therapy can cost money, and unless you have enough to cover it, you may need parents to step in. If you are financially independent, then you can make your own choice. If you see a therapist for free (through your school or another service), they are generally bound by a confidentiality agreement -- to you. The exceptions to this rule include you revealing that you plan to harm or kill yourself, or that you are a threat to someone else. If you don't fall into that category, and are old enough to make your own decisions for your health (in some areas the age is 14, in others 16), you're probably okay.
Durake
Depends, if were talking physical in person therapist, I'm not too sure, unless its one you absolutely trust, like one at school. But a virtual over the internet therapist, depending on the information you give them, no, they won't know. Like with 7 Cups, free, anonymous help. :)
adaydreamer
March 23rd, 2016 2:46pm
You have to have at least 18 to go to a therapist alone, otherwise you cannot. Is hard to overcome a problem alone, talk with at least one responsible person to help you out.
rainbug
Your school may have a therapist or a close friend might be able to help you access other sources. There are also lots of helplines online you can access, such as this site.
HopeAlways16
I've had this problem too and that question was constantly on my mind but then I realized that if you're under 18 you actually can't talk to a therapist without your parents knowing (at least that's the case in my country). If you're experiencing any problem the best thing would be to talk to your parents. But I know (from personal experience) that it's not always that easy. So, if you really really can't tell your parents about everything you can find someone else you can talk to. That's the case with me and it helped me. Just having an ear to listen and a heart to feel compassion can be life saving.
Anonymous
I think it's age-related. But I'm 16 and my counsellor doesn't tell my parents about how I feel unless I'm comfortable enough. Confidentiality is pretty high when you go to a therapist.