I think I'm depressed but I don't want to tell anyone?

Courtney Cline, MS in Psychology and MS in criminal Justice

I have 12 years exeperience in working with clients suffering from depression and substance abuse. I have worked with children and adults and believe in a holistic view.

Anonymous
If you think you're depressed, and don't want anyone knowing yet, you should take an online test that doesn't diagnose you, but gives you a percentage that is based on your answers. This gives you your own opinion about your depression, without someone finding out.
Anonymous
So what's the matter. Don't tell anyone .... problem over right ? But you gotta know, you can't bottle it in forever.... the more you hide it down ... the harder its' gonne be to hold.... You'll have to burst apart one day . I'd prefer it today ...
loopylou
ive got depression ptsd and anxiety/panic attacks i didnt tell anyone for 18years of my life and when i finally did i could kick myself i didnt realise how understanding people can be... dont be scared of what people think theres so many people who suffer from it.. your not alone never forget that x
shvrry
You don't have to tell someone. That's your decision but tell someone you trust. If you want to keep your personal feelings to yourself, then do so. No one can force you to tell them. If you feel comfy keeping your emotions within, that's perfectly fine. You don't owe anyone an explanation for the way you feel.
Mike8448
I can imagine that you don't want to burden anyone else with your problems, you might even feel that nobody is able to help you so why tell anyone? But the truth is, that the helplessness is a symptom of depression and reaching out to people who understand about depression will be very helpful both in talking about is, not feeling alone with it, and maybe even some medication to help you over it. Don't be alone with this!
HakunaMatata2k
February 21st, 2016 2:51pm
That's completely normal. Whether that comes from doubt, embarrassment, anxiousness or worthlessness it's completely normal to not want to tell anyone about something so personal. It is up to you who you share it with and you don't have to share it at all. Just know that if you want it to end then you may have to share it with someone eventually, whether or not it is a listener on 7Cups, a friend, family member etc. just having someone you can trust to tell them something that is affecting you so badly is just so reassuring.
peacefullittlekoala
I can understand why you wouldn't want to tell anyone. I was completely ashamed of being depressed. I refused to tell my parents (both of them are doctors and know more than enough about depression), because I thought they wouldn't understand. Sharing my struggles with friends was also off limits - I thought they would treat me differently if they knew. It is important to know that people can surprise you. Give the people around you the opportunity to understand. If you don't share what you're going through with anyone, you will have to deal with it yourself and believe me - it takes a lot of strenght to get yourself out of that state of mind. Depression is nothing you should be ashamed of! Besides, telling people and speaking openly about mental health issues helps to fight the stigma. Please, tell someone, anyone. A friend, a parent, a teacher, a doctor.. anyone. Let the people around you help you, don't fight on your own! Not everyone will understand, but there surely are people who care about you and will be willing to help you in this battle.
Yourfairygodbro
People who you tell should want to help you. You could tell anybody who could help you, how about that?
Anonymous
Depression is such a hard disease to suffer from because people have a big stigma attached to it. You have to view it like any physical illness. If you broke your arm or your appendix ruptured would you be embarressed to tell anyone? No! You'd get to a doctor ASAP and they would fix you without judgement. A psychiatrist won't judge you for having depression. They'll just treat the illness like any other Doctor. If your family looks down on you for having depression then that is because of their own personal stigma and that's an issue they need to work on themselves. If you can get to a psychiatrist on your own that is ideal but if you need your parents help then don't be afraid to ask for the help you need. It's worth the risk, I promise.
Anonymous
Its understandable that you feel uncomfortable. Unfortunately there is a stigma associated with anxiety/depression. You have to remember that you are not alone and there are many people dealing with depression, just as you are. You've made a great stride by joining 7Cups and sharing your feelings with us here. Stay positive and connect with a listener (or several) and, if you feel the need, try to find someone in your personal life that you trust and can confide in. Keep your chin up, you can get through this!
CaringApple95
It's absolutely understandable that you may not want to tell anyone that you're depressed. Many people with depression face that challenge, including myself. A great way to start is on 7 cups because you get to talk either one-to-one with a trained listener completely confidentially and you can also join a group of multiple other people to open up to them or just have a friendly chat. It helps a lot more than you might imagine. The best part of it all; you remain completely anonymous, so noone knows who you are and visa-versa, you can talk without worrying about what might come of it. Give it a go, it could go a long way for you, it has me. :)
preppyhippy
It can be scary and difficult to admit that you are feeling depression, but it is nothing to feel ashamed or embarrassed about. Talking with someone you trust can often be very helpful in creating a positive change or finding relief. You don't have to reveal everything all at once either; it's okay to open up over a period of time to someone and explain more as you feel comfortable and gain trust and support from the person you've confided in.
sugaryFlower69
You see, I thought I was depressed about 4 years ago.. I didn't want to tell anybody but it just got worse. I eventually started to selfharm, I didn't want to feel the way I do anymore so I started to see a therapist. Talking to her makes me feel better & I think if you give it a chance then you will feel better too!! Just know you're not alone
helpfulSky52
Being depressed isn't something to be ashamed of. 1 in 3 people in the UK become depressed which shows it is nothing but the normal. There are plenty of professionals out there to help support you with whatever you are going through.
Anonymous
I'm sorry you feel that way. Maybe you could talk to some friends to see if they feel the same way .
Anonymous
You don't have to tell anyone. Just give yourself some space to figure out the main reason behind your depression. You can try mediating, going to walks or listening music.
thoughtfulSoul82
If you have clinical depression, the best thing you can do for yourself is to ask for help. It may be scary, but in the end, it's amazing how reaching out to people can help you.
AnthonyNW29
It can be very confusing when you aren't sure how you are feeling, but sometimes it does actually help to talk to someone. Think of it like a steam vent... I know when I feel like I'm having a bad day I'll search out a friend, or talk to one of my fellow listeners to vent in confidence.
Anonymous
It important to tell someone espically if you feel bad and need to see a doctor or therapist for it.
Anonymous
Depression isnt a joke. At this point you'll have to talk to someone close before it builds up to something worse
Fenixashes37
Then you gonna have to deal with it. Seems like you don't need help if so. But I hope you change your mind someday and let us help you by venting to us in 7cups.
Anonymous
You should tell a therapist is you don't want to talk to anyone close to you. It is best to not keep to yourself about these things
Anonymous
Dealing with depression, this is one of the toughest things to get around. Depression isn't a weakness. It's a disease that can be treated. I'd suggest telling someone is one of the most courageous things you can, and will help you get the care you need.
CaringJoy
There's nothing to be ashamed about because there so many people diagnosed with depression. Find someone you trust and who's supportive or you can come to 7 Cups and talk anonymously.
Anonymous
If you don't tell anybody you think you have depression it could get worse... Tell somebody, get help!
Moonrise299796
Sometimes, even if you feel like keeping it all to yourself, telling someone may be of great help, provided that you tell someone you can trust.
restlesssheep
Depression is now something you should hide. Tell the person honestly , beacuse otherwise it can lead to misunderstandings.
Anonymous
Depression is in fact a disease. It is very hard to cope with everyday life with depression. Don't be afraid to reach out and talk to someone, whether it being your parents, a close friend, councellor, or your doctor. Don't be afraid of judgement, they will understand and help you with what you need to overcome depression and get back to who you once were and to find happiness.
BettinaBlocksberg
I think you did the first step very well! You figured out and accepted that you're depressed! I know that it is very very hard to tell it others that you do have a problem! But you did the first step here too - you told us! Are there any friends or family members you do trust a lot? Maybe start with them!
faisal1273
Depression is usually temporary, you should focus on good behaviors and do write down your feelings.