How can I stop being a compulsive liar?

Parvathy Venugopal, MSc in Clinical psychology

Life is chaotic and you need to rest if you're tired. I am here to help you relax until you are ready to start over again.Your mental health is priority, so is your happiness.

alaskayoungg
by doing exercises everyday where you receive a gift if you are able to tell the truth without struggling
Anonymous
Well firstly, you have to be honest with yourself and set some consequences to help your habits. Also, be kind to yourself. This is hard to overcome in a short period of time.
Anonymous
I’ve had struggles with lying. The best way I’ve found to overcome it is creating a system that will help you. For example, if there’s a piece of clothing I want to splurge on- If I lie, I don’t get to buy it. Hopefully this helps! Best of luck!
Anonymous
Becoming mindful of your speech. It takes practice but it will pay off in the long run. Throughout the day try to remind yourself that you need to be honest. The more often you remind yourself this, the easier it will be to be aware of your compulsive lying behavior when it happens. Then, this awareness will in turn make it easier for you to stop lying.
Anonymous
Compulsive lying is something that a lot of people can suffer from, especially if their family or social surroundings have meant they have to be more secretive or closed off. Before speaking, take a moment to reflect on what words you are saying and what impact they may have. It can be very hard at first because you come to instinctively deny accusations or make things up that twist or are far from the truth. However, making an effort to think and reflect can really give you a great impact and hopefully you might start to find yourself lying less and less. If you feel you're compulsively lying because of another issue, don't be afraid to seek help/guidance! Hope this helps!
Anonymous
You need to think about why you lie. What benefit and what are the effects of your lies- ultimately lies are just not worth it in the end it's much more freeing to just be truthful. Compulsive lies usually end up twisted and complicated ending in somebody getting hurt. If you think about the outcome of the lie before you tell it, hopefully you'll realise that the benefits do not actually out way the uselessness and stress of lying. It can destroy trust and relationships so quickly over small and silly lies that just aren't needed. Think before you speak :-)
Anonymous
It is incredibly hard to stop compulsive lies, but thinking of the reasons of why are you doing so might help. Maybe you do not think you are worthy and good enough without all that made up things, but that is not true. You are deserving of love, care and support just the way you are. Another reason, tied up closely to the previous, might be anxiety. Seeking help for anxiety management might help to stop compulsive lies. Sometimes we lie to get out of socially uncomfortable situations and that might become an unhealthy coping mechanism if a person has anxiety.
activesmile
How can I stop being a compulsive liar? Honesty is the best policy. Lying time and time again - it won't matter if no-one finds out your lies. What matters is the effect it will have on you. Spinning a web of lies will have a bigger, more negative impact on you than it will the person you're lying to, or what you're lying about. Lying WILL eat away at you until soon all you feel is guilt. Yes, lying can be a lot easier than telling the truth. It can seem like the easier way out in the short run. But in the long run, it's only going to have a negative impact on your life and on who you are as a person. Don't let that happen. Be the best version of you that you can be.
Anonymous
Compulsive lying always has a root cause for this behavior. It is often a past trauma that greatly affected you, but you haven't yet dealt with the aftermath. Can you pinpoint when this started or why it started? Talking to a therapist can also help, especially if you are having trouble remembering what caused your compulsive need to lie. You may feel guilt and shame after lying, but know that it is a symptom of something underneath that just needs to be worked out. Sometimes, compulsive lying is a symptom of a personality disorder or a mental health disorder. Seeing a therapist or psychiatrist will help you get to the bottom of it so you can become a happier, healthier you.
OceanFox
Lying is a hard habit to break, but that doesn’t mean it’s impossible. It takes a lot of self-correction. I used to be a bit of a compulsive liar myself. One day I really saw how much it was hurting the people I cared about and I decided I needed to change. The most important thing is to call yourself out on it. If you find yourself in the middle of a lie, literally stop and tell yourself “no” and revise it to the truth. It might seem silly but it really works. Don’t be embarrassed by it. If anyone asks what you’re doing, tell them the truth. Tell them you are trying to break your habit of compulsive lying and that you do WANT to tell them the truth. Most people will be very understanding and appreciative of this, especially if they are close to you. It does take a lot of time and practice, and you shouldn’t expect instant results, but in the end, as long as you’re persistent, it WILL work. Then you will see your relationships heal even if you didn’t know they were broken, and it will have definitely been worth the effort.
haileeanne99
The first step to stop being a compulsive liar is to own up to your truth. Start with baby steps. It is very hard to go from lying 24/7 to being truthful. Begin with things that are small, such as not lying about not brushing your teeth, or going to bed at a specific time. Also, it is crucial to recognize that you are lying. Before beginning to speak, sit down and reflect on your choice of words. If you suspect untruth, you may want to recollect your thoughts. Lying can weaken and stress relationships with people, so it is crucial to learn how to decrease it.
Anonymous
We often lie to hide things. To keep things that we’re ashamed of secreted from others. So you have to dive deeper and break through the surface and realize why you’re lying. Why you’re hurting. The word “truth” scares many people, because they translate its definition to mean shame, embarrassment, overwhelming and burdensome pain, depending on the situation. Lying always has a root cause. In order to stop, you have to ask yourself what your root cause is. Even if it’s embarrassing or it makes you feel ashamed of yourself, if you come to terms with it and are brutally honest with yourself, it will help you in the long run.
Anonymous
Try to focus on reminding yourself that the lies add up and can be detrimental to yourself and those around you. A lie can start small and often times grow into something uncontrollable. The best thing is to just be honest even if you are scared. The truth may hurt sometimes, but it’s a lot easier to come to terms with. Additionally, it can strengthen your relationships. Lying hurts people and relationships. It’s never good to lie to people who care about you or who you care about. Just remember trust is a valuable thing. If you lose it, it may be difficult to gain it back. Work on being more truthful but by bit. The truth always finds a way.
Makaylahelps3350
People who lie compulsively are encouraged to seek the help of a qualified therapist. A therapist can help habitual liars understand their condition and the way it affects other people. They may also reveal underlying diagnoses such as bipolar or ADHD. In these cases, a therapist will likely treat all a person’s issues in tandem. References: American Psychological Association. APA concise dictionary of psychology. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association, 2009. Print. Birch, C. D., Kelln, B. R. C. & Aquino, E. P. B. (2006). A review and case report of pseudologia fantastica. The Journal of Forensic Psychiatry & Psychology, 17(2), 299-320. Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders: DSM-5. (5th ed.). (2013). Washington, D.C.: American Psychiatric Association. Dike, C. C. (2008, June 1). Pathological lying: symptom or disease. Retrieved from http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/articles/pathological-lying-symptom-or-disease
SynSavory
Baby steps. Acknowledging the problem means you have the self-awareness. Self-awareness means that you need to gradually dial it down. It won't be easy - since people will remember you for the things you said in the past. However, I think you can do it. Before saying anything potential harmful or anything, just stop and think about the potential consequences for those actions (both imagined or real). Actually write down or record your voice on the thing you want to say and weigh out the pros and cons. First do it once in a while, then gradually increase the amount of time you write about your actions so that your amounts of lies will reduce. It also helps to know what was your motivation or purpose of lying in the first place. You likely had some goal in mind - for example, you lied a lot because you wanted to be popular. So in this example, you would need to brainstorm other ways to become popular, by channeling it through acting. At least with acting, you can lie in a socially acceptable way.
funnySunshine1821
Everyone has been through this kind of period, and somehow it is not your fault if you had already figure that there's something wrong with your behavior. Taking me as an example, when I was a little younger than now, I was quite stressed out. And this led to some serious consequences—I became exactly as what you've mentioned above. But after I softly changed little by little and made some adaptation to the environment, I feel better and more relaxed. This is just a period and all you need to do is to relax, not to push yourself. Everthing will be exactly as what it will be.
Anonymous
Well what good does lies offer. It only makes on guilty, regretful or question their behavior in the end of the day. Be honest and straight up with people. When you are going to lie, think about the why and if there is a reason, then say what u actually feel and state the reason behind why u r feeling this way. There are ways of assertively telling someone something in a respectful manner without being rude or lieing. Lieing can get you into big mess. Truth frees you from the stress and pain. Be assertive and be positibe.
Icanwaitforever
First of all I think that you should understand why are you a compulsive liar. Why do you need the urge to lie? Why can not you tell the truth? I know that it is really difficult to answer, but just try to it. When a person will ask you something, before of answering, take a breath and count. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5... think deeply about the answer. Do you feel the urge to lie? Why? Are you embarrased from saying the truth? Do you think that he or she will judge you? Well, If yes, you should be proud about youself.
AnnGoodHeart1
We usually lie when we perceive the truth as dangerous. We want to keep up some appearances in order not to experience something - rejection, criticism, etc. You could think what you get from lying or from what it protects you - what is the purpose of that in your life. And then you could try thinking if these reasons really are valid and what experiences from the past made you believe so. You could also look at your relationships - do you lie in all of them or only in some? What is the common factor of these relationships? Or maybe in some of them it is much easier to be truthful than in others? Then you could try keeping to the truth in the ones that it seems less dangerous... I wish you all the best in overcoming this challenge
GothChains
Start slow, you might want to start a journal about your daily life, then reread what you said in there, if you think you lied to yourself then you cross it and add the truth. You need first of all to recognize what are your true thoughts and actions, often you'll find yourself lost in this type of situation, you might sense a loss of personality or you'll look at yourself and not recognize what you are. Every word and thought comes from within, on a surface level you lie to others but at the core you lie to yourself as a defense because you are scared. You might also want to discuss this with a person that you trust, everybody need support, so don't fight it alone, and they might monitor you.
confidentSeal7672
The first step, to stop being a compulsive liar is admitting, and acknowledging that you know you lie. The second step, is knowing that you have hurt people in the past, and that it will be hard to earn people's trust back. Also knowing that because of these behaviors, relationships have been broken, and that it will not be easy to rebuild them. Taking it one step at a time, is a good start. Also making amends with past relationships and knowing that all you can say is sorry, and show them that you have changed. Show that by your actions. Actions speak louder than words
YoDudeWhatsUp
The person that I were talking to, I would pretend that I was talking to my crush, caus I would never lie to her that is a weird but working way. It's really weird i know, but i myself used to be the biggest pathological liar, but using this method helped me alot and it may also help others... another way is to just force your self to not do it and think before you speak.... thst sounds even weirder but it helps, like before you say it, just think to your self "why am i gonna say this.... what is the reason" and just force your self to say the truth. I hope this helps you good people and bye.
Birdie72
In the past, when I felt compelled to lie, it made me feel better. I wanted so much to be liked, and I really believed that if I padded my experiences with falsehoods, it would make me more interesting. What I came to realize was that my lies actually made it harder for people to relate to me, and instead of making friends, I felt more alone. So, I started putting a reminder in my phone that would pop up each morning with the words, "IS IT TRUE?" This helped me connect to myself, and to reality. Soon, I was asking myself "is it true?" just before I opened my mouth to speak. That tiny pause started a kind of mental hiccup that helped me disconnect from the compulsion.
calmingFriend2210
Well stop lying. The first you realize what you doing is wrong you should get the hint. Tell yourself what does it bring me when I lie. Answer this is it good or positive.? Does it make me a better person when I lie.? By lying just brings mistrust so try telling the truth. Any little truth and happy good action is a great way to stop this. Continue to tell the truth and a lot of good things will come your way, you see. By telling the truth brings way more positive effects though it might be really hard and sad and maybe sickening it will be better even if you think it make it worst.
Anonymous
It sounds like you have recognized that lying is an issue that you currently deal with. This is very important, because the first step to change is that we recognize and acknowledge that the issue at hand is a problem. Once you have recognized that lying it is an issue, you can start identifying the reasons for why you feel the need to lie. What is my purpose for lying? If I am benefiting from lying, what am I gaining? These questions can help pinpoint the underlying reasons for your behavior. Afterwards, you can make a plan as to how you can change your behavior. For example, you call out your lie when you catch yourself saying one or you set a goal of maximum two lies per week and gradually decrease it until you are not telling any lies.
Anonymous
You have already reached the first step! The first step is wanting to change, finding ways to change, and questioning yourself is good. The second step is understanding yourself. Why did you get into the habit of lying? What common factors cause you to lie? What emotions lay behind your desire to lie? The third step is certainly difficult, but its to challenge yourself. In the circumstances, you can't help but speak the false, try speaking the truth. If you fail, it's alright. Try again. and again. and again. It's alright. The most important thing is facing yourself. Which you have already taken by asking this question. Now, you should practice. Slowly, step by step. If you try, surely, you'll reach your goal!