I can't stop crying for days on end. What do I do?

Jennifer Geib, LCSWR

1:1 daily live chat sessions. - My therapy is non-judgmental and focuses on emotions and motivation to accomplish your goals or overcome your struggles.

Anonymous
Try and talk to a parent or someone to see if you have depression and to get the right treatment needed
Anonymous
Stop thinking negative things. Play the favorite songs and dance. Make me busier with work and cafe chat with friends
hopefulParadise73
Take professional help.Spend time in nature.Do what you like in your leisure time.Try no to overthink about what is bothering you.
Faithhhhhhh
Go out and eat food makes people happy .No really! You are better than this . Know your worth!! You are the only one to get over something which is troubling you with that being said enjoy your life as life will always have ups and downs you have to choose the reactions which will come through mind , so keep mind healthy and calm and ofcourse positive which would lead to a better life. You are unique . You are The master of your own fate stay positive. God bless. And BELIEVE
Icymoon0707
Think about the small things in life that make you happy. The small things to be grateful for. Sometimes the small things can mean the most.
wonderfulStrawberry19
You should talk with a counsellor or maybe, just talk with your friends. If it lasts for a long time, it’s better if you talk with a therapist.
Anonymous
Have you thought of sharing your problems and troubles with someone you trust or here at 7Cups? Please do that! You'll feel less burdened and we can help you when we know the reason why you're crying.
Anonymous
I’ve had a few moments in life where I couldn’t stop crying. One of the best things to do to start feeling better is to first address the issue. Try to find the cause of the tears. Then, I would try to see if the problem is something I can fix myself or if it’s something that is out of my hand. If I see it’s something that I will be able to fix, I work on it until I can deal with it and I can stop crying. If it’s out of my hand I let my emotions out rather than suppressing them and find ways to accept the reality of the situation.
Ana4hear
Just take a pen and paper and start writing whatever comes in mind. Open your heart and pour it in writing. If the emotional block is there you may get the outlet through the writing activity.
L1ttleBlueB1rd
You can try to naturally try to cheer yourself up by doing things you like. Try getting those endorphins flowing through you by taking a walk, swinging on a swing, watching something funny, being outdoors, playing with a pet, etc. You can also talk to a psychiatrist about medications.
Asame
Sometimes we need to cry a lot, and that's fine. When you are feeling better, try to cheer up by doing things that you love. Take care of yourself.
Diya83
Talk to someone. If you know why, tell them. Make sure somebody knows about your situation so that they can comfort and help you.
Anonymous
Try to understand the trigger points like what time of the day , who the triggering person is, any memory which makes you feel like this. Once you are able to identify, you can seek more help to deal with the same.
Anonymous
August 2nd, 2018 4:49pm
It is okay to cry but when it's too much, you could consider putting your energy into something good and that helps other people. Let your feelings out using a journal whether that's writing things down or even destroying it.
rialistening
It seems you are feeling upset or experiencing emotional distress. Perhaps you should think about why you are feeling this way and the reasons for why you cry.
LovelyNebula
To start, just started small and be nice to yourself. Taking care of yourself is the number one healer. It takes time of course but pacing yourself and doing things you enjoy and even just small things that will heal your mind and body will help you.
Anonymous
Oh, honey. I have been there and have done that. I did that and then just went numb. I went numb then resulted to trying to cut. Being numb was such a scary feeling but was relieving at the same moment. I even took out a certain amount of pieces of paper for each family member and began to write apology notes for why I am about to slit my own wrists. Do you feel sad or just feel like crying? I journal down my thoughts which I believe helps. Coloring with music helps me as well. Have you tried discovering if there is certain thoughts are making you feel bad or are just feeling crappy? I recommend grabby a journal and just writing and letting words flow or doodles come out. Put on a film or talk with a family member. I’m not sure if you have history of depression but I sure as hell do and I almost gave up that night. I didn’t and actually just talked to one of my brothers about my recent episode. I actually learned that he goes to therapy for his depression. Crazy, huh? Just know your never alone in this kind of battle.
orisforest
Lean into the sadness. Feel it all. Let yourself cry and be sad- it's so important. It's beautiful. You don't need to do anything about the constant crying just yet. Once you've let yourself feel, try to work through it. There's usually a reason, and I find that finding the reason will help dramatically. I feel that once I realize why I'm in so much despair that the crying gets less frequent. If you already know why, first, talk to someone. Get it off your chest. Whether it's a friend, family, teacher, coworker, an anonymous internet chat, whatever. It'll get better. But you have to feel it all, first.
Anonymous
Ask yourself a question. Is the reason for crying so important and worth than my smile? Willingness to be happy can overpower any cry. Crying is natural. That's the first emotion you have experienced after coming out of your mother's womb. Don't judge yourself for crying. But don't the reason become bigger than your happiness. Talk to someone, share it with your favourite friend, relative or to unknown. My previous work place was a hell. Everybody there was trying to bully me, playing politics. I was very naive in that and it used to trouble me a lot. I have gone through sleepless nights, swollen eyes, dehydration and ulcers due to this. But then one day I felt this should stop. I will list down all small reason of my cry. I did that and then I worked on striking each one of it. It worked. It took me only 1 day to strike through first reason and I started becoming more and more powerful. I felt empowered. I felt pure. I felt happy. Now I will never cry till something happens bigger than that. You need to set benchmarks for yourself and think highly of you!
SamEdge69
You should find something to make you change your thought process. Meditating and hard physical exercise will help immensely with this. Try not to focus on what is making you sad think about things that make you happy. Talk to people, sometimes just talking to someone will make you feel better and help you to stop crying. Don't be ashamed if you do cry its not something to be ashamed about, people cry if they are feeling sad about something, it is normal, especially if you are going through something severely distressing. And lastly keep a smile on your face even if you don't feel like it, it has been proven that if you smile it will naturally make you feel better inside. So try to stay happy and smile.
WinglessYetFlying
Hey there. What you're going through right now could indicate towards severe depression or anxiety that is lying on dangerously high levels. You should know that very few things deserve you to waste your tears upon them. I won't chastise you for crying because you're expressing emotions in the only way you're able to, and it's better than keeping them in. But do remember that all this crying won't just fix the problem. If, deep down, you know it can't be fixed, which is rare, then try moving on.. However, only resort to that if you've already tried your BEST to solve it. And if you find yourself crying suddenly without an apparent reason, then try contacting the nearest specialist for more professional diagnosis.. Take care ^^
thoughtfulLove
Go out for a walk and some fresh air, it’s great for the mind and body. Eat some good healthy meal, or something of your favourite. Meditation is a great way to calm down and feel grateful again! You have to start being mindful and realise that you are enough and needed in this world. Try talking to someone you trust and you know you won’t be judged. We all have problems and go through rough times but we need to see the positive side of things and start being thankful for what we have. Only then we can be in peace with our mind and problems and start seeing things from a better perspective.
itsEP
Be Positive, you still have people there for you, even if you don't you still have us, listeners! we will always be there for you. Think positively, try to recall you happy memories, either with anyone; just think the ones that will make you laugh. You can always feel free to talk to us, we will always be there for you. Try telling what you are facing to a listener. Talk about the reasons that made you cry for days on end. Maybe this might make you feel better. Please feel free to talk to me anytime you are feeling bad. ^^
SlowHealing
Circumstances can seem overwhelming at times. It flows from the natural ups and downs that life throws at us. It's perfectly normal to feel the way you're feeling right now. I would suggest you introspect - look deep within yourself- and pin point exactly what part of your circumstances has hurt you the deepest. From there, the healing can begin. I follow the motto "This Too Shall Pass". It applies equally to the good times and the bad. Right now you're in a dark place. But this doesn't define you or your future. You have a beautiful future around the corner and you need to believe that, hold on to it, whilst you trudge through this dark space. If it is something you have done, forgive yourself we are only human. If it is something someone else has done to you, forgive them. Forgiveness is divine. Being grateful for the silver linings (no matter how thin they may seem right now) goes a long way as well. I know it is easier said than done. Cheer up, darling. Things are going to be a lot better sooner than you think. Be strong and know that our community is right here for you. Feel free to contact me at any time.
EverlastingReader9281
Unlike popular belief, crying isn't a bad thing. Actually when we cry we release a certain set of chemicals, which makes us feel better, which is why many of us feel better after we cry, it makes us feel like we've let the feeling that were tormenting us far away from us. But, if you think that you would rather let your feeling out in a different way I would recommend analysing your passions and use the energy that you would be using crying to create something extraordinary. Perhaps write a couple songs, make a new dance choreography, paint a landscape, write a book, create anything that makes you feel passionate and full.
PenelopeL
January 23rd, 2019 5:30am
This is when I have to do somethings that feel very anti-intuitive. I begin with self care and pick out clothes I haven’t worn recently and prepare to go out and walk. I may walk very slowly at first, yet as I do I stop observe the world around me looking at houses, flowers, trees and listen for the birds or sounds in the distance.I focus on my breath taking an occasional deep breath. I may not stay out for long but when I return I may reach out to a friend for companionship or someone I can talk to about how I am feeling.
Anonymous
I know life can be tough. That’s why when you begin to feel sad you gotta pick yourself up. Once you start crying you start to cry about everything else that has went wrong in your life. Know that life isn’t prefect, stuff that have happened in the past shouldn’t consume you - they’re meant to be forgotten. You deserve to be happy ❤️❤️ Each time you feel like crying i want you to call a best friend or a family member, often calling a loved one cheers us up and helps us to remember our worth. Take care
SisterNature
February 23rd, 2019 12:03pm
Let it out. Can't run away from what I have to face, and confronting issues is stressful to say the least. Even acknowledging an issue is burdening. No matter what it is, you're crying for a reason, and that's okay - it helps you navigate your emotions more clearly, as opposed to bottling things up and denying that you're not okay. Crying is an important outlet for emotions. Don't fight it. Embrace it. Let it out. Let your soul breathe for as long as it needs. It relieves you of the pressures of keeping things inside and will make way for clarity, and even vulnerability. So, you don't have to do anything about it. Cry it out, and afterwards reflect on why you're crying and what you can do for yourself (seek help, meditate, etc.) to one day, stop feeling the need to cry.
Islah
It might seem annoying, weak, and confusing, but crying is extremely healthy! I remember periods of time where I would randomly burst into tears - this lasted for weeks, and I was so confused! But I realized that I was struggling with stress and sadness that I didn't allow myself (or didn't have time to) remedy, so my body took healing into its own hands. In hindsight, these bouts of crying were extremely healing. Without even knowing it, allowing myself to be still and cry and feel those emotions was just enough to make myself feel a little better afterwards. Crying spells are a message from your body that you aren't allowing yourself to feel some emotions - and its perfectly healthy to cry! Good luck
Anonymous
Clean your room. Take a shower. Change into a fresh set of clothes. Play some music. Turn your phone off. Sing to your favourite songs. Watch your favourite TV show. Read a book. Spend time with your pet(s), if you have any. Take a nap. Reset your mind. If the problem persists, perhaps it's because you're avoiding something. Come up with a plan. Face your problems head-on. You can do it. Don't let yourself wallow in your tears. Your feelings will only fester and make you feel worse. Try talking about them, if you want to, or write them down.