Is it hard to think critically about something you love?

Jessica McDaniel, LPC, LCPC

I have been practicing cognitive behavioral psychotherapy since 2007 with a diverse group of adult clients with various diagnoses, all races, and socioeconomic classes.

Anonymous
I do believe it is. Love makes you irrational, which isn't a bad thing. But I think that if you genuinely love something, you'll make an effort to look at it through a realistic lens as well.
hopefulRainbows30
In the beginning, it is difficult to think critically about something we love because what we will notice initially will be how perfect it is, especially since how we view it is affected greatly by our feelings. But once our feelings taper off, we'll start to notice things that have been there all along it's just that we haven't noticed until now. Once we are aware of them, we are able to think more critically.
bokchoi
I'd say so since you are naturally positively biased towards it. If you feel like something is wrong, asking friends for a second opinion might help.
MysticBelinda
I believe it can indeed to think critically about something you love. When you love something, an experience called being "love blind" comes to play. This means that your love for the thing overcomes all other insecurities about the thing. On the other hand, take family for instance. Have you ever thought critically about your brother (even though you love him)? In that case it is possible. Love comes in various shapes and sizes.
Christy24601
From personal experience, I can say it's often easier to think critically about something you feel neutral about. When you have a strong opinion about something, your personal feelings and/or convictions can influence the way you evaluate it and make it more difficult to keep an open mind.
Anonymous
Yes it is, but it can be done. You just have to get past the initial feeling and it is great from theree
Anonymous
It can be, but it is not impossible to simplify. In connect with breathing and meditation techniques, it's quite possible to clear your mind and think about something you love objectively. The fact that you are already watching for your love to interfering with your thoughts about this thing shows me that you are a great analyzer, and will probably be better equipped to cipher that closeness out than many other people.
DestenyG1
It is never hard to think about love, if you love someone or something, you just know it, if you second guess it, was it really love?
LastHope1218
I would agree that it is hard to think critically about something that you love. When you love something a lot, it is highly possible to overlook its flaws and not see the bad in it. I would; however, say that it is possible to think critically about something you love if you can separate your feelings for that thing and your logic.
strawberrySoul15
No, you can thin critically just about everything you love and enjoy. It's just you stress yourself out because you make it seem like it's hard. But its not!
RobinSchebatzki
I think for many people, it is hard to think critically about something they love. The main reason for this is that many people use their hearts to think about something they love, and not their brains.
TJ54
November 21st, 2016 11:06am
Yes. We like to think that the things we love are perfect, like how it can be difficult to admit our own faults, it can be even harder to admit the fault of something we love and look up to.
Anonymous
Yes. Sometimes it's hard. You feel you don't want spoil you good feelings with feelings you label as bad.
AndyDufresne1994
Yea it is. When you love something or someone it is hard to remain objective. Enmotions will play a role in your choices. You see it everyday. People who maybe let their loved ones do harmful things only because they can not step back and make a choice that is based on logic and facts. But are clouded with feelings.
Gemma8483
December 23rd, 2016 1:54pm
Our own personal interests can definitely conflict with the interests of wider society, which is to be expected, and yes, it's difficult to think logically when such a heavy emotion in play. But emotions can also help us bring in a more human aspect to our decisions.
KickingItAtSeaLevel
Not necessarily, you can look at the actions of a person you love and think critically of them. You can look at features or facets of anything and find criticism. But they say 'love is blind' for a reason. Although noting the critique, you often find that you don't care. Or that it's easier to overlook. Perhaps you find reasons (excuses) so wafer-thin if any one else applied them in an argument you'd rip them to shred. You love your SO for example, but hated the way he acted drunk the other night. With anyone else you'd be furious, disgusted, avoid them for a few days at least. With him it's all too likely that you'll fine other things to blame.
Anonymous
It can be hard to think critically about an emotional issue. In general, you use two types of running - emotional thinking and rational thinking. Emotional thinking is just that, using your emotions to base your opinions or decisions on. Rational thinking (or critical) thinking uses facts. It can be very hard to separate the two when something or someone you love is involved. But it can be done. You can write out your thoughts as a list and identify each one as emotional, critical/rational, or a mixture (a fact you emotionally agree with). Then cross out the emotional thoughts. Use what's left to start the decision process. This isn't to say it will be easy or quick, nor am I saying this is the only way to achieve a rational decision about an emotional topic. But it is a starting point.
Anonymous
In some ways I think it is hard to think critically about something you love. For example, new couples often find it very difficult to see fault in their partners. On the other hand I think that when people are truely in love, they do see the faults in the other person but they love those faults.
shiningShell43
yes it is, that´s why sometimes we need an external point of view to clear ourselves and help us see thinghs we don´t
Anonymous
In my experience it is. When I love someone it is hard for me to separate my emotions from them and what their possible thoughts are. Pretending to be an outsider helps me be objective about the situation.
Anonymous
I think that we always see the best in the people that we care about greatly and tend to idolize them. It would greatly depend on your type of relationship. A mother would not jump to critical views about her child easily but a lover may find it easier to criticize a person they are in a relationship with.
Anonymous
That's a question that can cause a lot of debate, I feel. When you care passionately about something, it may be hard to see the negative sides of that thing you love. Though you feel this way, it is important to view the red flags with anything you love, mostly because ignoring the problems can lead to negative consequences.
Anonymous
It is tough to think critically about something or someone you love - your absolute devotion to the person or object as a whole blankets the entirety of your conscious thought and you view them with rose-tinted eyes because of the lens you usually see them with, one that distorts them into perfection.
Mel
It can be. Because our feelings get in the middle of our rational thinking sometimes. And while we should take our feelings always into consideration, it's important to know that even those that we love can hurt us, and it's not okay to oversee that.
damselinthisdress
No. Being able to criticize something we love is the indication that our love is not "blind". Blind devotion is usually unhealthy. Critical thinking equals logical thinking and love might defy all logic, but the things we love aren't certainly devoid of flaws. It sometimes helps to recognize those flaws. :)
Anonymous
Yes it is indeed. Usually i tend to see only the bright side of the situation or person i love. i dont think its good but changing this kind of thinking is hard
Anonymous
It is because we are overwhelmed with both our love for it and any emotional dependence we form to it.
Anonymous
Sometimes it is and sometimes it is not. In either case you should always try to be critical about things even when you love something. We love things as they are so even if we find a flaw in something we love it doesn't mean that it necessarily wrong to love it.
Anonymous
Of course! Because you have a personal attachment to it, you tend to have a biased view when it comes to the things you love. That isn't a bad thing necessarily! However, it is important to take a step back and reflect if it is causing problems.
Tesora
Is it hard to think critically about something you love? I would have to answer this question in the general and specific. For me personally, thinking critically is my first line of thought, the first wave of brain chatter. I have more difficulty letting go and experiencing love without a running critical commentary. In general, the ability to feel love and have critical thoughts about the same object is going to greatly vary from person to person.