Why am I nervous around my girlfriend?

Why am I nervous around my girlfriend?
★ This question about Anxiety was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.

Monique Bivins, MA, LPC

I have a real passion for helping my clients to overcome life's obstacles . My work with clients is nonjudgmental, supportive, and interactive.

Anonymous
Perhaps you fear rejection. When I first met my boyfriend, I was really nervous because he ex was beautiful. I just spent more time around him, and after a couple of dates I felt incredibly comfortable around him.
meditatingelephant96
Being nervous around your partner or love interest is natural. It's natural to be nervous because you want to convey the best side of yourself to them. It shows your compassion towards them and the need to impress them. Nervousness will eventually reduce, the longer you are around one another, but accept it's a part of human emotion.
EmmeyPea
Do you like your girlfriend? Do you want to make her happy? If so, that's great! :) Being concerned about doing these things is like getting nervous before a test: you want to make sure you have the right things to say! But unlike for a test, you don't need to study up on how to be yourself. She's dating you for you, so answering in a "you" sort of way will probably be the perfect thing to say.
Anonymous
Maybe you have anxiety. Or maybe you don't want to embarrass yourself in front of her. It's normal to be nervous with your loved one , no shame about that.
meboysen
It could be a lot of reasons. She could mean a lot to you and you don't want to mess anything up. Or she could intimidate you. Whatever the reason, it's important to feel comfortable around the ones you love.
Soothinglistener93
There can be several reasons for this. You could be inexperienced. You might feel inadequate. You might feel untrusting. In the end, you are the expert on you. Look inside and find out what your nervousness means.
Expositorer
You will get nervous around your girlfriend because you are scared to make a single silly mistake that will cause your relationship to get looser and worse.
Anonymous
Well love gets you high .trust me.especially when you have a beautiful girl who you have been crushing for long.I t is more often when you feel that she deserves better . At such moment you have got to embrace yourself and feel good about yourself.
CaringisSharing
Because you feel the need to impress and are worried about making a mistake in front of her. This is extremely common, especially in new relationships. Just try to realize she likes you for you and be yourself. The more time spent with each other the more comfortable you will become
AshleyHolden93
What is it about her that makes you nervous? Once you realise what it is, you can take steps to conquer the problem.
jetplane
You may feel nervous because you're not used to many relationships. You also could feel like there is an expectation of sexual engagements, which may make you feel uncomfortable. The nerves will probably pass over time, as you get to know her better. :)
NMalmstrom
Possibly because she makes you unsure at some point about anything, or you like her a lot and that makes you nervous around.
alliecat1901
Your probably nervous because, You really like them and your trying not to do something stupid or sum.
GoodPoint
There can be a variety of reasons that you may be nervous around your girlfriend. It might be helpful to think that she may be feeling much the same way as you do. Recognise and acknowledge your thoughts and physical feelings at the point in which the nervousness starts - you can use this knowledge as a base point to build on your confidence or address the issue that you have found.
Anonymous
Because I'm constantly afraid of messing up or embarrassing her. I'm worried I might become something she doesnt want and I really really don't want to lose her.
Anonymous
You may feel guilty, feel pressured, be afraid of her, may be shy or anxious, or afraid to say/do something wrong.
FriendlyFoxe
You may feel nervous around your girlfriend because you care about her! Sometimes, it's actually harder to feel relaxed, silly, or let go around those we care about. We want them to think well of us, of course, and this can stir up anxious thoughts in our heads that hold us back from expressing ourselves. You care about your girlfriend and her perspective of you. It's only natural to feel how you do! :-)
Anonymous
There are numerous reasons, perhaps you get a little bit of social anixiety around her, or maybe there are other reasons.
Sweetlolly11
Could be multiple things. Perhaps she excites you so much, perhaps you're a bit insecure, perhaps it's something you're afraid to do or say. It's a very diverse question.
caryto
It seems like you really like her. There is nothing wrong about liking someone a lot, Stay with her. Talk.
nthngbttrth
bcoiz.. i dont knw whether my parents will accept her.. and may be wat others will feel .. they may understand me as a ill mannered guy
arabayuh
You love her and might be scared of losing her. It could be your anxiety just giving you "What if?" thoughts.
Anonymous
Feeling nervous around people can be a normal feeling. Tell me more about your relationship. How long have you been together?
AcornCactus
Maybe you aren't completely open to her? Maybe you feel like she's the better half of the relationship, or whatever it is, it's something you need to address together.
ams96
It could be a number of things. Is she your first girlfriend? We tend to be nervous around people we've developed a new relationship with. You should realize she's your girlfriend for a reason - she obviously is interested in you. There's no reason to be nervous :)
lovelyMoonstone
I noticed when I first started seeing my boyfriend, I was super nervous around him. This went on even after seeing him for over a month! I realized that I was so nervous because I liked him so much! I was afraid of making a fool of myself and messing things up, but then I talked to him about it. He said he was nervous too! I say that once you find the source of why *you* are nervous, talk to your girlfriend about it. As soon as I talked to my boyfriend, my nervousness went away.
SoulfullAshley
Maybe you two just got together. Maybe you are not comfortable around her yet. Maybe the two of you haven't really connected enough for you two to truly be yourselves. That is okay. You just have to talk to each other. It'll take time, but it will develop into something better.
Quirkykimmy17
You are probably nervous because you want to be the best boyfriend you can be and sometimes that makes you nervous.
Anonymous
It could be for many reasons like you don't want to mess up around her and your scared that you'll lose her
Ametrine
This could be for many reasons depending on your situation. Common factors could be -experience level, -general comfort level, -existing tension, -feeling inadequate, -relationship issues, or many others. Take deep breaths and try not to put too much pressure on yourself to behave a certain way.