I feel like life is pointless. How can I find meaning in my life?

Lauren Abasheva, LMHC

A sex positive, and kink knowledgeable therapist with an open mindset and a clear understanding that we are all different.

Anonymous
There are meaning in the little things. Like a nice dish of food, a cool breeze blowing on a warm day, a stranger sending a smile your way.
MajorGiles62
It's a process, one day at a time, think about before you met this person, it is not an easy path but you can get there, there is light on the other side of what you are feeling.
Anonymous
Think of where you've made a difference in someone's life, where you've stepped out of your daily routine or put someone in front of your needs and think about how it made them feel, the gratitude and the happiness, you have an impact, you just have to remember.
faithlove1111
I feel like life is pointless is just a feeling. It will pass , just like all the other feelings that comes and goes. Be patient and carry on with your daily routine. As you go on , start enjoying the little things like the trees , the sky, the smell of fresh coffee and so on. Be in the now for the time being and don't focus and the future yet. Slowly when you are more relaxed and receptive , it will come to you :you will find the meaning in your life.
Anonymous
Helping others gives purpose in life. Finding new hobbies an passions to dedicate yourself to can help too.
Anonymous
By having a purpose or goal. If you can't think of any, live your life for others. Join community outreach or organization. It will surely broaden your idea of how important life is
Missingperiodsandcommas
It's a very big question, heck a lot of people no matter their age are still searching for meaning in their lives but it all starts with finding what you love. Try new things, see new places and meet as many different people as you can. Hobbies are a great place to start- rekindle an old passion or try rediscovering a new one. The more you learn about yourself, who you are and what makes you happy, the easier life will become.
Anonymous
Find a hobby! If you can find something that you can enjoy doing and have it pass the time, you will feel much better! Spending time with your friends or family can help you aswell!
Faithhhhhhh
Life is short. Enjoy your own company Dont let the regulations and situations of life to take over your happiness Balance in life is essential. Being a believer will always lead to a peaceful path. Always think and implement the same that nothing is impossible. You are strong enough You are unique. Keep shining.
ashleighdianne
a good first step to this is to practice mindfulness. this means focusing all of your energy on the present moment, and acknowledging and accepting your feelings and thoughts. another way is to consider everyday what you are grateful for and what you wish to accomplish in life, such as goals and dreams. one big important thing is to try your best not to think about the meaning in life, the more you search for it, the less it becomes apparent. remember to give your mind time and always be patient with yourself xx
lavenderSpring7917
Born>live life without thinking about it > question life> find your own meaning in the life
Anonymous
Find something you want do in life, something that makes you happy. If you can't do that, you can have a vision, an idea of what you want to do with your life. Trying to find meaning in life is difficult because it is different for every person, so one person can find meaning in something you don't have a meaning for. I think you should know that there are people who love you - even if it seems like there aren't, and if life feels pointless... it doesn't mean you can't look for your purpose in life.
hopefulTree41
Write a list of things you like about yourself. Make another list of things you want to improve on yourself. From that you can always try and help improve yourself to be a better you
TheAmazingPole666
I know how you feel seeing as I was there before. Find meaning in life by doing something you love, spending time with someone you love or like- whatever you enjoy doing. If that doesn’t work then try doing a new hobby or something new. This way you can find a meaning in life
empathicSunset73
First off, everything will get better. A lot of people are going through the way you are feeling. You should focus on happiness and that may seem hard considering the situation but with time and devoting yourself to being positive and not letting negativity get in your way of finding meaning to life you should do great! Don't let anyone tell you differently!
UncerTom12
Look to loved ones and people you are close to and explain how you are feeling. They will often explain what you mean to them and the impact you have had on their life.
Asame
Meanings do come and change with experiences and if you want to find something you have to keep trying. Live and experience. Never give up. Be the person you wanted to be as a child.
wearywickedheart
I felt the same way not long ago. I distanced myself from everyone. I put alot of effort on not thinking about anything at all. I utilized the awesome relaxation techniques here. After some time, I relaxed. I started enjoying things and involving myself.
VoicelessPoet
Try find a hobby or interest and invest yourself in it. Sometimes that really helps, and may even give you a reason to stay alive.
Anonymous
everyone has different ideas with regards to interests. i suggest social hobbies, even become a listener and help others through tough times
braveCaramel10
If you want to change something in your life, first decide what you want and ask yourself these questions: "Who am I? Why did I come to this world and what I really want to die or be happy?"
musicalBubbles69
Find meaning in your life by finding something that you can rely on, and that can rely on you. That way, you’ll have meaning in others and in yourself.
Anonymous
Every day just arrange little things that may change the day up a bit and exite you in a way because having fun could change this opinion
Anonymous
Understand that each and everything you do has an impact, no matter how small everything you do matters
AwesomelyImperfect
We tend to derive meaning in life from what satisfies us on a core level. In order to find that meaning we must accept who we are. Once we accept who we are, we can find what we really live for. Believe me, once you understand who you are you can share it with others. I found meaning through sharing what it is like to understand myself down to the core. Sharing experience is my meaning, and you, dear member, also have a purpose that will be crystal clear once you understand who you are. Listen to yourself, accept it, then let that light shine and the meaning will be yours.
ShiningTree123
The answer is simple: we find meaning in our relationships with other people. If we find ourselves alone, this is immensely problematic... to be cut off from our fellow human beings is to be isolated from the ebb and flow of existence. There is a saying in Africa; "Umntu ngubuntu ngabantu"; roughly translated, it means, "I am what I am because of other people". If I am finding myself feeling isolated, it is time for me to take a check in on myself and ask myself, what is it I am doing, or how am I behaving, that is pushing others away? Then I know it is time to take a check on myself and see where I need to perhaps change my attitude. Helping others is a good way to find meaning in life; a small gesture which costs little can mean a lot to another person.
EveryMoment11
If you're feeling empty and like you're not doing anything that you count as worthwhile, ask yourself a couple questions... 1. Am I comparing myself to other people or concerned about others judging me? If so, try to remember that your own goals, your own priorities, and your own vision/perception of yourself is what matters. 2. Is there a goal I can set, one (small) thing I can do on a regular basis that makes sense for the person I am, and who I see myself as? Deciding to take action is an awesome step in making your life more rich, and making you feel more fullfilled. I always feel that helping people around me gives me joy. Maybe you would feel more joy learning an instrument, volunteering at a local church, LGBTQ shelter, or community center, or checking in on someone you know is going through a difficult time to see how you can help. Reaching out to 7 cups is one way to get closer toward your goals. Talk to a listener, and start your new path. One small step at a time. Things will start to look brighter. You are here for SO MANY reasons, please don't forget that!
Anonymous
I’m so sorry that you’re feeling like this. I understand the pain that you’re going through. At one time I felt like I was worthless. My advice to you would be to communicate your struggles to loved ones or a therapist. They can help you. As for finding meaning in your life, I suggest developing a new hobby. You ever have a desire to try something new? Play an instrument? Try a new sport? When I was depressed I picked up my guitar and it has changed my life. My instructor is practically my best friend and I’ve met new people who share the same interest with me. The pain will get better. Good luck
Anonymous
The thing about life is that it can be very confusing at times but it's an adventure that is worth your time. The important thing out of all this is to know that it's okay to feel like you don't know where to go or to feel like there is no motivation to keep you going in life anymore, sometimes it's okay to feel that way. Now, to find your motivation or your purpose you have to get out of your comfort zone, you have to try everything, sometimes we can't find what we're looking for because we are too scared that we are going to be wasting our time. I know that sometimes when you see people talking about how they always knew this certain thing was what they wanted to do, that this can be discouraging but it's okay to not know what you want to do because you will find it but in order to find it you need to experience life, you need to find your limitations and know your strengths in order to find what you love. you need to find who you are first in order to fins your motivation.
Raven435
There is always meaning to anyone's life. Find things that you enjoy doing, people you enjoy being with, and aspects in life that motivate you! There is always something waiting for you out there. Don't give up hope or become distraught if something doesn't work out. Life isn't always easy and there will be times when one can feel as if life really is pointless, nothing to do, you don't feel like you're important, no one cares about you. But the truth is that many people feel that way and one may not notice that because you're too wrapped up in your own emotions etc. But don't worry, life has something in store for you, you just have to break free from the negative bonds and see it.