I think I have depression and I want to tell my parents but my brother recently got diagnosed so I feel like they would think that I'm just trying to get attention. What do I do?

Lisa Groesz, PhD

With evidenced based therapies, we find the root of the problem together to implement solutions. We all face crises, transitions, or disorders at some time.

Anonymous
I would tell them how you feel about the situation but take some tests first to make you that you are pretty certain you may suffer depression
enigmaticComfort82
You should tell your parents about it they will understand your point and will try to solve your problem
grassence
First you think of yourself. Talk to your brother about it first, he can help you tell your parents.
Rajnin
You should tell them regardless of that fact. If anything you could say that it might be because of the same reasons your brother got depression that you got it.
Truthaboutlife
If you feel that you have depression, talk to someone about it. Tell anyone who is close to you personally, like your guidance counselor or best friend and even your parents if you need to. Depression is not an easy thing to go through, but it is able to be overcome. If you feel that you can't tell anyone because of whatever reason, come here and we'll talk to you and work with you to overcome it.
Anonymous
Say that lately you've been feeling down and don't know why, or the reason you're feeling depressed. Ask them if you can get help from a mental health professional. If this doesn't work, use the 7 cups reference page to contact a therapist online to get help on how to deal with the situation.
Anonymous
You need to speak to your school counselor/ a trusted friend or family member. Don't be worried that people will think you're attention seeking. You need to make sure that YOU are ok.
loveisayume
Sit down with your parents and tell them exactly how your feeling and I'm sure they'll understand love.Parents always want what's best for you at the end of the day.Wishing the best for you
HattieMae
When it comes to a serious issue like depression, it's best not to keep it a secret. I'm sure your parents want what's best for you and if you tell them, then they can help you get to a better place. Plus if the issue is out in the open with your family, you can maybe help or get help from your brother who is struggling as well. It's not selfish to seek treatment, especially if you're suffering.
Anonymous
Firstly ı'm really sorry about your brother. I understand your worry. If you feel like you have depression you should thel that to someone, depression is not something that you should overcome by yourself. You can start with a friend that you trust.
bulletproofmayhem
Be honest. Tell them your exact situation and how you're afraid they wouldn't believe you because your brother also has similar issues.
hopefulEars20
August 3rd, 2016 1:39am
When you are concerned about your mental health it is important to take action as soon as possible. In your situation it makes sense that you may be feeling concerned that you are doing it for the attention, but depression is a serious illness that needs to be treated as soon as possible to reduce the risk of long term side effects. Consider scheduling an appointment with your doctor, and if it would make you more comfortable consider having your health care provider tell your parents the results if it would help alleviate the stress of feeling that you are doing it for attention.
Anonymous
You should still tell them just incase because you need help too and it can be dangerous not to get the right support for depression.
Anonymous
Depression and anxiety are something that tends to run in the family. If you feel depressed and want to reach out to your family then you should, regardless of what else is happening in the family. Perhaps your brother and you could help each other by discussing how you are both feeling, and ways you could start to feel better. Talking through emotions and hardships is a good way of expressing your feelings and supporting others. Talk to your parents, it sounds like you really want to.
Freebirdie
Don't think too much, maybe they might think so but that should not stop you from meeting a professional and know what's actually going on with you, they might not believe you but they will believe the professional
dancingCloud
They are your parents they will understand you no matter what,never lose your faith in them ........
Anonymous
You should just sit down with your parents and let them know so maybe they can help you. Maybe get a therapist or just understand you more
Supergirl94
Be honest with them. They may think that yes. But just explain to them how you have been feeling, your thoughts and why you feel you are being anxious. I had that as well, my father had an anxiety attack and was going through all of that. I looked it up to be educated on it and realized I had anxiety as well, thinking about past experiences, the explanations they give of it and everything. It just fit so I told my mom about it. She said no I didn't, she didn't believe me. Probably because she assumed I wanted attention or because I was just saying I had anxiety because my father has it. I didn't push it further and it wasn't until a year or two later when I had a really bad panic attack that I finally accepted I had anxiety. I accepted it within myself because when my mother told me that, I had denied it for myself. When I accepted it, I no longer cared what people said or what they believed. I cared what I thought and felt. I took care of myself as best as I could. I told them about it, and over the years I tell them about my experiences with anxiety so they can learn and know, to understand that I wasn't just making it up. Now I know anxiety is a bit different then depression but the situation is the same
Yani1921
You still tell them, do not hide your mental health, speak about them and seek out the same support they are giving your brother.
orangerosess
Evaluate your situation. think about how you could tell them you're struggling. whatever you do, Don't suffer in silence. I'm sure your parents love and care for you and only want the best. tell them you are struggling and can't do this alone. you shouldn't be doing this all by yourself.
Anonymous
You talk to them anyway. They love you. They will help you, just as much as your brother. But remember, you are always worth it♡
scotty4947
I can't give advice, I'm here to listen. But, if you'd like, I'll recommend you to a licensed therapist for some really helpful advice on what to do!
Anonymous
Talk to your parents and ask them if they can take you to get tested for depression if they think that you are only doing it for attention talk to another family member about it.
Arte421
If you think you have depression, you should certainly tell your parents. They would understand that perhaps, after your brother came out to them about it, you felt more comfortable telling them. Make it clear to them that you genuinely be live that depression may be a part of your life, and you may consider getting help for it, and having your family support you, as they did for your brother.
gloriousSugar21
I would tell your parents because even though your brother just got diagnosed you still matter to them and he's not just the number one priority if you feel the exact same way so I would tell them you feel the same as your brother and that you want to find out what is it and how you can be helped
trashcat
If you feel like this and want help you should tell your parents, even if they might think its for attention or the depression isnt as heavy as your brothers.
magicianseth
My advice for you would be to go to a doctor, if possible to get an official diagnosis. That way, you can have documentation when it comes time to tell your parents. After that, search for a therapist or psychiatrist in your area.
contentedWaves91
Talk to them. Tell your parents will be a good step to take before the depression gets more. You can tell them genuinely your condition and how you feel and that you know it is a wrong time to say this but did had to tell them. It might be a little stressful for your parents but they can help you get over it. Good luck
Anonymous
Your health is most important- if you're worried, you should speak up! Another thing to keep in mind is that depression tends to run in families. Best of luck to you, and I hope that everything goes well
Anonymous
Maybe try talking to your brother, he would understand and knows how to go about the situation. He could give you advice, and also knows how your parents would react to everything.