I think I have depression and I want to tell my parents but my brother recently got diagnosed so I feel like they would think that I'm just trying to get attention. What do I do?

Lisa Groesz, PhD

With evidenced based therapies, we find the root of the problem together to implement solutions. We all face crises, transitions, or disorders at some time.

Anonymous
If you think that you do have depression it would be best to get help soon. I understand your position how you might be feeling.. But it would be best to get diagnosed soon. Maybe your parents will not think that way? They will help you...
Anonymous
Seek support from an outside sources first too. Use that as evidence to support your browser to your parents :)
NoMasDepresion
i think it is so complicated and you could feel like you are an charge for your parents and they just have enough wiht your brother, so sit with them and talk sincerely
Anonymous
you should try talking with them about what you feel and that you are worried that you may have depression and maybe you should tell them that you want to talk with a specialist that can diagnose it
sereneDreamer45
Maybe you could talk to your brother about how you feel, if you feel like he would understand. Talking about it together can help a lot.
Anonymous
I would sit my parents down and openly tell them my feelings and thoughts on how you feel and ask for their help
dropinanocean
I think you should tell them that you think you have depression (and maybe that you want to see a counselor, if you want that?). If they seem to doubt you, you should explain that you're not trying to get attention but really need help! I don't mean you should accuse them of doubting you but if you say it like that, I think they will definitely believe you because they don't want to seem like bad, doubtful parents! As I understood it they didn't react bad to your brother being diagnosed with depression so they will definitely try to help you as well! Me and my brother are both going to a counselor and my parents don't think either of us are trying to get attention. And if your parents think that, you could first get help secretly, maybe go to a counselor on your own and they could explain everything to your parents!
Anonymous
Be open and honest. If they are your parents, they will understand. Don't be nervous. Just be open with the things you have been experiencing.
Anonymous
Depression is often genetic. If your brother has it, there's a good chance that you do, too. Tell your parents. If they think you're making it up, make an appointment with your doctor (on your own) and talk to them about it.
Anonymous
Talk to a doctor instead, There are times when we all need some professional's help. A doctor can best guide you on such situations.
Anonymous
You tell them anyway. Don't avoid talking about something that's concerning you because of an assumption about how people will react. If you feel like you have depression and want to get it checked out, they'll listen closely to what you have to say.
2cupsofteaa
Tell them how you feel. Explain to them why you think that you have depression, and your fear of them believing your confession as a way of attaining attention. This may be a daunting task, but being upfront about your feelings can present an opportunity for communication and support from your family. Perhaps what you expect them to react will actually be different from how they would respond. Give them a chance.
dreamSoul41
Tell them,never keep it to yourself as you'll just be more isolated and fell more alone.your parents know you,love you and want the bed for you so honesty is the way to go
healwithlove
Maybe you can try to search for professional help on your own, there might be some help hotlines or anything else that you can talk to so you keep it all under the water, and if a councelor or something says it to your parents you will get validation.
Anonymous
If you feel this way I find the best option would be to at least try to talk to your parents, if they then dont support you after you talking to them about it, find someone else to listen and to help you through.
AnthonyTV
October 2nd, 2016 6:42am
I would tell them anyway. You have to have faith in your parents, hopefully it pays off. They can always set you up with a healthcare professional who can diagnose whether or not you're clinically depressed. For now, you can even try an online depression screener, to see if it refers you to a professional. You can easily find one with a search engine.
Anonymous
You have to tell them, you can't fight depression alone. I know it may seem like they'll say that, but they really care. They'll be there for you
Anonymous
You could try telling your brother what your symptoms are, and he might tell you something along the lines of "that's what I have" if its a possibility. He could also help by mentioning it to your parents. Or, you could talk to someone outside of your family and they could help refer you to the right people and talk to your parents. Remember, depression can also be partially genetic and/or environmental, so your parents should know if 2 of their children feel this way.
healingDreamer56
Just because your brother recently got diagnosed with depression doesn't mean that it's impossible or even unlikely for you to have depression as well. Support groups always helped me in the difficult time of depression, and you can really fall back on your parents. Try talking to them or a therapist who can help diagnose you and prove that you're not just trying for attention as well. But honestly, never be afraid to ask for help, especially of your parents.
Anonymous
I'm sure your parents would want to know if you felt this way, perhaps explain you feel the same as your brother but your worried they won't belive you.
Anonymous
If you believe you have depression then tell your parents. If they feel you are just seeking attention you can go into a walk in clinic and they will keep you anonymous from your parents.
charmingDaisy65
First off you need to tell someone, if your parents are going through it with your brother then they would hate to think of you going through this alone... if for the moment you still don't want to confide in them speak to someone else you trust, even your GP
Anonymous
You could write your feelings down in a letter or an email into their coherent response because no doubt your feelings are buzzing round your head right now so it is good to get them organised so that you feel better and your parents can fully understand the significance of what you are telling them
Anonymous
I would write a letter or sit them down and tell them that you believe you need to get help. This sadly is not the way that many people are able to tell they're parents. I do hope it works for you
Narcolexi
I think that it's important that you speak to your parents about it. Remember that often depression can run in families so if you have a relative experiencing depression, you can be more susceptible to having it, too.
alexluke
Just explain what is happening with you and try to help them understand what is making you depressed and why:)
Butterfly121
You will have to trust that your parents will take your feelings seriously, or go to someone else who you trust to respect your feelings and help get you the help you need. If you dont have anyone else you feel comfortable going to, there are many therapists and chat lines available to give you the help you need.
starrySunshine87
Talk to them, schedule an appt with a doctor and go from there. Depression can also be genetic, so it would be unfair to categorize you as looking for attention.
Anonymous
Depression should be taken seriously and I highly doubt your parents will think you are trying to get attention. You should nonetheless tell them but if you really think it will look like you are trying to get attention, you can always open up about your depression to other people you are close with, such as a close friend or even through a chat or call online anonymously like in 7 cups. Reaching out to people is pleasant, you should never feel alone.
MagicalKoala
Tell them the truth. No matter how they'd react, it's always better to tell the truth. Find a better time to tell them this because they already having hard time.