What does depression feel like?

What does depression feel like?
★ This question about Depression was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.

Lauren Abasheva, LMHC

A sex positive, and kink knowledgeable therapist with an open mindset and a clear understanding that we are all different.

Anonymous
It almost feels like you're so mad at the world for being mad at you for not "fitting in" with society.
Miracle
Having depression and anxiety are experiences which will be different for every sufferer. So it is difficult to say it will be exactly like...... However there are some common core symptoms, suffering from anxiety can often be considered to be similar to the fear we feel in ordinary situations such as sitting a test, but magnified and prolonged to an excessive and unhelpful degree, so that it affects us on a day to day basis. Depression however is usually in that symptoms can be of opposite extremes eg. Not wanting to eat or overeating, or not being able to sleep or sleeping as much as possible, however the defining characteristic is a depressed mood and lack of motivation more common than persistant sadness though is apathy.
Anonymous
From my personal experience with Depression and Anxiety together is hard to put into words due to it being so many feelings and past scares that its a drawn out ordeal. At times you never know what is waiting for you when you walk out of your safety net (Home) and go out and deal with the issues that blow up and bite us in the buts. I have been in recovery for 7+ years and still have issues that pop up and trigger me but with the Recovery Center Training and class's I took helped me deal with the issues in a fast and timing manner.
ray99
Depression and anxiety is very hard. Something i struggle with today. you feel like you're drowning and no one can save you.
soulbuddy251
Depression is submitting to fear and loss of love, a void that consumes you till nothing seems worth doing or living for. Anxiety consists of fear to nearby events due to worry of failure or lack of preparation that could shorten your breath, raise your heart rate, and confound your thought process making the actions for the future events near impossible.
Anonymous
It's almost like being swallowed by an incredible invisible force. It's frustrating and we find our brains doing things that seem crazy to us. We wonder why on earth something so "small" was such a big deal. It's a dark hole. Very unpleasant.
Anonymous
Having Depression is like Feeling numb all the time. You don't care about anything or anyone. You don't want to get up in the morning to go to school or like doing anything at all. But having anxiety is caring about everything to much, worrying about everything. Wondering if what you said was right, if they are going to like you or if you just annoy everyone aound you.
Laradcl
It feels like everyone around you is moving forward in their lives and you are stuck in the same position. Wanting to move but being unable to, being held back by the little voices inside your head. While everyone expects you to be great you are unable to fulfill your dreams
NMalmstrom
It feels like drowning with no chances to get out of the water, everything blacks out, it takes so much energy like swimming in ocean for hours searching for island.
Truth0615
The feeling of being alone and the constant worrying that something bad will happen and that there is not solution or help from anyone else.
Anonymous
In all honesty, just having one of them sucks. Having both together, is miserable. Your moods vary depending on the day, and the slightest thing can set you off. It's horrible. But there are others who are going through the same thing and can help. You are not alone, that is the important thing to remember.
Anonymous
Depression is like going through life like you're trying to wade through water. Everything feels sluggish, slow, difficult, and if you make one wrong step you'll trip and drown. Anxiety is the feeling that rushes through your chest when you are about to miss a step on the staircase or you catch your foot on a crack in the pavement, and you think, for a moment, you are going to fall. it is that feeling, but constant.
becca2000
It's caring too much and too little. It's being unable to get out of bed and then panicking about your lack of progress. It's 3pm panic attacks and 3am sobbing uncontrollably. It's wanting to die but being scared as hell. It's the worst thing imaginable.
Anonymous
For depression it feels like you don't matter in this world anymore and no matter what you feel like doing to make it better you always feel or imagine that it's of no use. As anxiety is where you're so nervous about the future that you never think outside the box and are fine with being mediocre, in other words it's called being scared of the uncertainty of the future.
zoelistening
It can be difficult because they are very contradictory illnesses, at least for me. Depression makes me not want to do anything, but anxiety makes me want to do everything all at once. For example, I will know I have a 6 page paper to write for a class. My depression makes me sit in my bed all day feeling sorry myself and not willing to do any work, yet the entire time my anxiety is eating away at me, giving me spouts of panic attacks regarding my lack of progress on the paper. I believe with enough practice one can learn to manage both of these illnesses, it just takes experience and self-awareness :)
Jenniiy
Anxiety is the fear of failing and overthinking everything. Depression is the feeling of emptiness and fear. Having both is weird because you can't do anything right in your opinion. You overthink everything again and again but still feel empty. So sometimes you don't even know how you feel.
skylei37
Having depression and anxiety feels like there's a rock blocking your view of the horizon. It drains your power and it deprives you of the happiness that you deserve.
KellyCanary
Anxiety and depression can be very debilitating. You may often feel alone and like no one understands you. Mental illness is a heavy burden and a very misunderstood thing. But you are NOT alone. Many others are going through what you are, whether you know it or not. Some are better at hiding it than others, but that doesn't mean that they aren't suffering. We are all unique individuals, and yet in some ways, we are not so different. We want above all to be happy, loved, understood, and accepted.
BessyB
It's like wanting to do everything but wanting to do nothing at all It's like wanting to score high on a test but not having the energy to study It's being afraid to lose your best friends but not having the energy to hang out with them It's sitting in your bed at 3AM worrying about the future you don't even want to have
DipityEnigma
Some people may get offended by this question, especially since a lot of the stuff can be found online. There's not really any set way to explain it, except that it's not something that you would want to have. There's information easily found online but if you want information without having to do your own research, these links should be helpful: Depression - https://www.7cups.com/depression-help-online/ and Anxiety - https://www.7cups.com/anxiety-help/ I hope this information is useful to you.
kindhand14
It feels like there's always an elephant in the room so to speak, you always feel worthless or worrying what's ahead even if there's nothing to worry about.
Anonymous
Depression and anxiety are two different things and can work together or apart. As coming from someone whom has overcome both i'd gladly explain my personal experiences. Depression is like this deep pit in your stomach caused by anything under the sun, maybe your dog died or maybe you didn't pass your test. the pit of sadness is always there and seems to never go away... maybe you're having a good day? but when you're not busy it's like the depression comes back. Anxiety feels like you're constantly on edge or nervous about something. depending on what your anxiety is about it feels like anything could trigger an attack. The fear of something not going the way you want or plan it to be can cause so much anxiety that can break someone down. Hope this helps!
Sammy01
Depression is like being trapped in a fog, alone and afraid and somehow also completely numb. Anxiety is an unquenchable fear or everything and nothing. Meeting new people? You're scared. Meeting old friends? You're scared. No plans at all? You're still scared. Everything feels wrong and nothing fits and you're all alone.
Anonymous
Its like stepping into quicksand. Slowly it takes you in, until you are submerged. Cant breathe, cant think. After you pass through the sand, you find yourself in a dark, never ending abyss. Falling and falling. Never knowing when or if you will reach the bottom. But all of this feeling is in you, when you have to be in every day life, and function as a human being. So, yeah. Its tough.
RollingTide
Every day is a battle within yourself. A war waged from the darkest places covering you like a thick, wet, dark, blanket, while you run thru an avalanche of jagged ice and snow with your insides burning like the fires of hell as the concussion of bombs pounds every inch of your body. But thru that darkness, you see it, a pin prick of light which gives you a glimmer of hope as it speeds towards you getting brighter and hotter, only to realize, It was just another BOMB.
Anonymous
Anxiety feels like having a little person inside you banging on your chest and never letting you relax or calm down. The little person makes it impossible for you to take control of your own thoughts. It takes your thoughts and makes them seem like 10x worse then they already are. It makes you feel like everyone else only sees the other person, and not you. You can never think things through and make things better for yourself without having an attack. You feel captive by the little person until you just give up and let them take over.
KawaiiP0tat0
Depression feels a little different to each individual. For me, it was like wanting to be happy and understanding that I had everything I needed to be happy, but being incapable of being happy regardless of what I did. And it didn't feel like that every single day. It did not mean that I never smiled - I was actually known for being a very cheerful person. And every now and then I'd have days when I would feel myself genuinely feeling but it was a very fleeting feeling. But once again it is different for everyone and also depends on the severity of their depression.
Smilekid0808
March 23rd, 2016 9:07pm
Depression often feels like a sadness so heavy, you can barely lift yourself from bed in the morning. You feel a lack of motivation to complete even regular, day to day tasks, and bigger projects can feel almost impossible. Sometimes you will feel withdrawn from the people in your life, and you will isolate yourself from them; you might not even have the desire to reach out and tell them you are feeling. It feels like emotional fatigue and exhaustion, like you are simply too tired to continue. But I promise, you absolutely can. Reach out to a listener on 7 cups, a family member, or a friend. Odds are, you're not alone.
Anonymous
Depression feels different for everyone, but for me it feels like a constant sadness, sinking feeling. Everything is dull and I cant imagine being happy again. You have good days but when you have bad days it can stop you from doing everyday activities for example, I may have somewhere to be but I don't have any energy to go there. Hope this helps
Mia7077Soul
Like , life is dark and empty , feeling worthless , unhappy , have no emotions for anyone or anything.