What does depression feel like?

What does depression feel like?
★ This question about Depression was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.

Lauren Abasheva, LMHC

A sex positive, and kink knowledgeable therapist with an open mindset and a clear understanding that we are all different.

AcornCactus
At the same time, it's the extremities of your sympathic/parasympathetic systems against eachother. One part of you doesn't want to get up and go to school and wants to cry and sleep, while the other freaks out about the assignment that might be missed and they classes they might fail
AnxiousKitten
Being diagnosed with both, it is extremely hard and very confusing. A lot of the time I feel empty. A lot of the time I'm bored. I either cry myself to sleep or pass out after having a major panic attack. But it gets better. They are both treatable.
Anonymous
It feels like there's an elastic band round your brain every time you get frustrated. It skews the way you think and everything seems unclear. Your eyes hurt, you can't really think about anything.
Anonymous
For me my anxiety was because I had depression. I used to get BAD, really bad panic attacks which made me more awful about myself, which let to the thoughts of ending my life. I used to feel hopeless and numb. Even though I was with people, I felt like I was in some sad island all by myself. Lost interest in everything I used to love, to feel something I used to try harming myself and slowly it became an addiction. having depression is not something you want to be. Having depression is not the same as feeling blue, sad or feeling depressed due to some small or big factor. When you are under the nets of depression, it is hard to come out because there is this thing in your mind where it keeps on telling you that you are not good, you are awful, nobody likes you and so. It is awful being depressed.
Jasmineh2000
awful, its one of the worst things ever, you constantly feel down and judged and you lose all your friends by it eventually
thatfangirlyouknow
Depression feels like a weight pulling you down everywhere you go. The sadness always lurks in the back of your mind when you are happy and it always comes out to bug you. You don't want to wake up every morning. You will become engulfed in your sadness and it can lasts months or even years. Anxiety is just as bad. Waking up in the morning and stressing over every little thing. Double checking everything to make i=sure its all fine. Constantly bouncing your leg up and down, picking the skin of your fingers, biting your nails, sweating, repeating things in your mind, over thinking, shaky speech, a fear of messing up. They certainly aren't fun.
NickManUtd92
The feeling of depression is hard. Probably the most challenging emotion to work through. You get to a point where you are far down in the hole that you can't see the light. The hardest part, getting out of that hole. You start making progress upwards but there are so many things that knock you down. It's also tempting to just lay down and sulk in your misery because it's easier to deal with. Anxiety I would say is the most confusing emotion someone can feel. I find it hard to explain since there is suck a wide variety of things you can feel while having anxiety. You can feel insecure, paranoid, fearful, or confused. You can feel all of those things at the same time.
Anonymous
It seems like the world around you is collapsing, darkness has taken over you, your heart is sinking in a deep deep pit and it seems like there will never be a way out and that you might just... die. I have battled with depression. Currently I am depressed in regards to work stress and I feel like this is the moment to express exactly what I feel truthfully. However, I am not going to fall for the neagtivity that is pulling me down. I will get up and fight! I will not let myself down! Myself needs me and if I lose myself how am I going to attain my goals. I want to achieve so much! I want to travel the world! So I am just going to take a deep breathe, think about my blessings, thank God for them, forgive all who brought misery to me. Then I will smile, yeah that's a natural smile right there! Now I feel so much better! Hoorah! :D
Weallarebeautiful
You feel unwanted. Your always nervous. You feel like everybody is against you. Your always worried.
Anonymous
It feels like a heavy anchor beneath you that you cannot move. Whenever you think, it is there. It makes you think everything is pointless and shallow
7cupsofteaMelanie
March 23rd, 2016 4:54am
It's like having a bad day but everyday. The feeling you get when you lose your job, you get dumped, or something that makes you unhappy, that's how you feel everyday. You can't control it, but it controls you.
Skygivesyoulight
Like you're lost. Empty inside. Don't know how to express your emotions. Loss of interest. Feeling like you don't want to live.
FelipeAG
Depression is actually a very serious illness. It's very important to talk about your problems with someone and to receive treatment with a professional if it's necessary as soon as possible depending of your condition. To accept you have depression is something really brave, to accept it is to challenge it to become someone who is fighting and finding a journey to discover ourselves and our own strengths and love. The most important thing is to keep hope really high, it's always a light.
StayStrongNeverLoseHope
Depression is when you feel lonely and lost, you feel worthless, like no one cares or understands you. The whole world is crashing down on you, your mind is all over the place, you can't focus, you have no motivation, bad thoughts invade your mind to the point that you start to believe what it tells you. It feels like you're drowning, like nobody is able to help you. Anxiety is feeling worried and scared constantly, you're worrying about what people are saying about you, you're panicking over things that might not even matter. It's a horrible feeling, your heart starts to beat faster, your body just melts, you can feel the blood rushing around, and you start to shake and you can't get over it, and it's constant. It's even harder when people don't understand you or when you really want it to stop, but it doesn't.
Anonymous
People believe you just feel sadness. In actuality, it is a combination of numbness and sadness. You feel numb to your surroundings, someone insults you but your only emotional reaction is numbness not anger or frustration
Euphrosyne
It's like walking through a deep puddle of mud. You're slow, tired, things are difficult, but everywhere you look, there's more mud. And you walk towards the nearest patch of land, but it never seems to come any closer. Hopefully, you do get out. And you think you're fine, like that difficult, painful past has left you until you look down and realize you're covered in mud stains. Depression never really leaves you.
Anonymous
For me depression felt like a permanent night, were there was no light, no hope and no faith. It felt like it would never end.
marvelousMermaid87
Depression feels heavy. Trapping. It feels achy and tight and dull. It consume you and makes every single thing seem mundane or pointless. You worry about what others think of you, yet push them away because you are so sad and hurting so much. It is different for everyone, but it is something so painful that is curable.
majesticLight96
I was so hurt and bent out of shape several years ago, after many years of chosen singlehood, and the relationship ending abruptly! I obsessed about how foolish I had been, letting myself be used, and then dumped via text, ouch! It was a 6 month long distance relationship and I was falling for the other person. It was a painful loss. The depression was instant, but the self-care came immediately when I changed by phone number, the day of the break-up. I notice that friends who have had similar break-ups, tend not to do this at all, in the hopes, unconsciously, that maybe their lost beloved will call and want to get back together. This is the worst thing we can do, as our self-esteem hinges on letting another person define us as women and it can be very depressing. My own level of depression was deep at the time, and I was spiraling down with self-loathing. It was hard to get out of bed, and my anger was turned inward. I saw a counselor and that was very helpful. I also shared my sadness and grief with friends who were supportive. Depression comes in many forms, lack of interest in normal things...check! Lack of pleasure, check! Lack of energy and appetite and trouble sleeping, check! I had all of those symptoms. I found that movement, even walking, is an antidote for those symptoms. I think in addition to the physical, social and professional help, my faith in a loving higher power, really got me through! Anyone who suffers from depression, and we all do at some point in our lives, would get through it with less trauma, (there's no way around it) by reaching out, as well as within. Sometimes medication is required, and there is no shame in that. Whatever it looks like, my message to you is to just get the help you need! Life is full of hellos and goodbyes, and a series and highs and lows. To me, the key is to not get too high or low, and nurture myself in the hard times, with support, meditation and prayer. I sure wish I had 7cups back then!!! Be Blessed and remember, it'll get better! Peace, Majestic.
adventurousCoconut5536
Its like I have feelings of intense anxiety, sadness, guilt and fear, all at one time. Weird things set me off, like even sad sounding music from a kids show. I was lying down while my daughter watched monster high and the dramatic music brought out sad feelings but I couldnt pin down any certain thing. Its like "toxic emotion soup".
xxivcrey
it's actually hard to explain..it is as if you're surrounded of dark clouds and you don't have any idea when will it move and clear out..same as having anxiety, its like as if your a time bomb, any second you'll explode, any second you'll blast. It's hard to explain actually.
Anonymous
Hell. It's hell. You don't want to leave the house, because you are afraid that you'll have an attack in public. You are constantly scared that you will have to talk to someone, and that's just the anxiety. Depression is like drowning, and no one around you notices.
Mayaisthename
It's all different, it depends on you really, but make sure you not comparing yours to others.
SaelbenNoa
Depression feels like emptyness, lack of purpose, will to live and future, like standing in middle of nothing with nowhere to go, and nowhere to begin. Anxiety is more of panic and being unsure about something, but not knowing why and then panicking and wanting to scream and so on.
Anonymous
different for everyone. the dictionary definition would give you a more general definition but it is still affected by individual difference even if everyone with depression/anxiety have the same symptoms.
kthanks
Its like your stuck in the ground and cant get out, and the more you struggle to get out, the farther you get in. Then people will laugh at you because they've never felt what it's like to be stuck for 3 years
lovelystrings16
Anxiety means you are nervous about everything or anxious that something, maybe out of your control, will happen. Depression is hard and can make you think you failed at life and everything you do is terrible. They are different but they come hand in hand.
Anonymous
Having depression can often feel hopeless and kind of like you're drowning but at the same time, unable to sink. Having anxiety is worrying a lot, having lots of fear.
stargazer3118
It feels isolating, lonely, scary and overwhelming. It feels like everything you're worrying about is the be-all and end-all of all things but at the same time you're worrying irrationally but it's hard to convince yourself to not worry because what if, just what if whatever you're worrying about might actually be something to be worried about?
Anonymous
It almost feels like you're so mad at the world for being mad at you for not "fitting in" with society.