What's the best way to get over loneliness?

Lindsay Simon, LMFT

I work from a holistic perspective to help my clients heal from various mental, emotional, and relationship problems. My style is direct,honest, supportive, and nonjudgmental.

peachicus
Loneliness isn't something that just goes away but keeping yourself busy and with lots of things to do is a good way of distracting yourself, try to meet friends and family as much as you can. Try to make new friends too
Waterbear
What's the best way to get over being thirsty when you're dehydrated? It's the same principle, except that with loneliness you have more time before you die of the lack of what you need.
Anonymous
You only think you're lonely. You don't have to be. Identify what kind of connection you want, then work to get that. You can do whatever you want, it's all your choice. Lonely is in your mind, you can end it immediately.
AngleTYBarakatx
best way to get over being lonely is to go and socialize no matter how awkward or scary it really is, I think the best way to do it is to have face to face human interactions
niceMermaid44
Realize that loneliness is a feeling, not a fact.Reach out because loneliness is painful and can confuse you into thinking that you are a loser, an outcast. Notice your self deflating thoughts. Make a plan to fight the mental and emotional habits of loneliness.Focus on the needs and feelings of others, the less attention on your lonely thoughts and feelings. Always show up when meeting up with others.
chanelsdaisy
- Expert in Depression
you have to make sure there are a million people who feels just as lonely as you, so youre not alone with it. You are just as alone as you tell yourself you are. See the peaceful things in being alone. You can do whatever you want. Don't think about a boy and how lovely it would be if he lays next to you, look in the mirror. Tell yourself, that you are everything you need. And now, make yourself a beautiful day, do whatever you want.
SeamlessDream
In my experience, loneliness is best overcome by choosing to focus on the good things you've got going on. Maybe you read a chapter in that book thats been collecting dust on your shelf, or you made a particularly good meal recently. In life, you have to choose to appreciate yourself and the things you do for yourself. When I take the time to appreciate me, I feel less lonely and more content with myself.
Anonymous
I don't know if I have overcome it once and for all. But it feels much better after writing the thoughts down. Providing body with reasonable physical activity is also a must.
Anonymous - Expert in Depression
Have some human interaction - talk to people anonymously, invest in a penpal, do some volunteer work or get a pet.
LauFromSheIsAPerson
I usually listen to some relaxing music and read or write. It manages to calm me down and eases away negativity. This usually nullifies my loneliness.
BrotherGish
In college, I studied in Florence, Italy for a semester. It was an incredible time, but I was also going through a really difficult breakup, and the extreme distance from home really got to me. A good friend gave me great advice. He said "Get to know your city. Don't just walk the streets or visit the stores or eat the food. Be present with the city. Become friends with the city. Allow yourself the chance to fall in love." It was cheesy advice but I took it. I got to know Florence that year, like a friend. No matter who else I had - or didn't have - I always had the city.
Sweetlolly11
Go out into the world and meet people. Easier said than done, right? Well, you can always start off by just going outside, to any interesting public place, like a cafe, library etc. where there's lots of people, and simply enjoy yourself, watch other people, listen to the sound of the world around you etc. As soon as you feel comfortable like that, doing it daily, weekly, monthly, whatever, you can start approaching people. Casually strike up a conversation with the next friendly face you see - it won't hurt, I'm sure :)
EnessenLove
The best way for me to get over my perpetual loneliness is by accepting and not fighting it. I try to drown myself in my own self-love and then dwell in my own company.
Frankie9
Do not sit alone in your room. Or isolate yourself. It is very easy to become isolated. Once you get out, do anything, you are helling to break your normal agenda of being isolated.
HereToListen2You
Try to interact with other people, socialize, it'll do you no harm to make a friend and have a simple conversation with them :)
calmingSoul69
going out with friend or family and or going to the library or club to do reseach or park to talk to nes peoples
giggleShoulder28
The best way is to get over loneliness is to surround yourself with friend and family that you enjoy being with.
Anonymous
Use the cognitive diary method to identify and challenge your automatic thoughts and your own self-talk. Sometimes we equate being single as being lonely, not having immediate company as being lonely or going trough a bad period and not having someone to immediately talk to as being lonely, so it might help to write down all the people who you know for sure care about you (such as your parents, siblings, a friend or aunt/uncle or a teacher) and tell yourself "I am not lonely, I have , I just have this sensation but I am lucky to have on my side, even when he/she can't always immediately be with me>>. Talking to listeners and group support rooms also helps to cope.
Dovah
I find distracting myself when I feel lonely is a good coping method! Reading, gaming, drawing, that kind of thing! Do what you love to do, and once you've found these things, maybe join a club or some sort of activity with people who share you're interests! In the meantime, you're welcome to check out this awesome guide: https://www.7cups.com/how-to-deal-with-loneliness/ as well as check out the Forum & Chatrooms here on the site! :)
BeyondThePines
To feel less lonely, you need to be around people. If you aren't able to spend time with friends, or you're sick of family, just going out helps. Even if it's the supermarket, and even if you're not going there to buy anything.
Anonymous
Find someone new or talk to a friend do something a regular basis like the cinema football or get a pet they help alot
Anonymous
I've learned that there are always people who are there for you, but you often times have to reach out and initiate interaction first.
Anonymous
Embrace solitude and the idea that we came alone.. And we leave alone.Everything in between, is temporary or fleeting.
Anonymous
the best way to get over lonliness is to get yourself busy doing something that you love.. chase that dream that have.. hone your skills.. workout... make new friends.. do yoga.. go fishing.. listen to music .. play games.. get a pet.. do whatever it takes to be happy :)
Bracara
I always find that a nice way to get over loneliness is to take a walk through the park with my dog, Max. He is always comforting to me. It also helps to become more friendly, open minded, and approachable when trying to make new friends. Try complimenting someone three times a day, it makes the people feel good, and you feel great for making them smile, build off these small social interactions and try to strike up a conversation with someone you might want to get to know a little better. :)
jimmyfalzone
Everyone is different, I find the thing that works best for me is to get lost in something that you can think about so you stop thinking about being lonely, for me its gaming and tv shows, but anything could work if it interests you, movies, reading, going for a walk, etc.
Lieselotte
Pull yourself out of it, don't lock yourself away from the outside world. There's always someone who has time to get coffee with you, but YOU need to make some effort.
Anonymous
For me the best way to get over loneliness is to talk to other people and think of good thoughts. It helps alot.
lilyraindreams
For me, it's putting myself back out there. I find a hobby, something I enjoy, then try to include other people in it. Live music, a book club, a dance class. Group activities keep my loneliness at bay, and help me make new friends while becoming the best me.
brightHorizon87
The question here is why I am or feel lonely? In what form do I interact with other people? Is it through the internet? I think humans need human touch and to be close to other humans to feel complete, and if for some reason I have felt lonely, it is because I have thought that I wasn't interesting enough, or that other people were not interesting enough and that they would not understand me if they really knew who I was. This of course is faulty thinking which can easily be disputed since there is no way I could possibly know what ALL other people would think of me and how they would judge me. This is why as a defence mechanism, I discard other people instead and find reasons why I think they are boring. Of course there is also the environmental factor, which is super powerful. For example, If my real passion are horses and I work in a car repair shop with people who talk about engines and cars all day, then perhaps, I am lonely because I don't feel like I belong in that environment . If I then change the complete environment (workplace, country or city) and focus on what I feel passionate about, I will be surrounded my similar minded people who might appreciate me more, thus increasing my chances of feeling a sense of belonging.