Why do I feel so depressed before my period?

Stacy Overton, PhD.

I am an enthusiastic life-long learner and also a professor of counseling. I have a passion for peoples stories and helping to guide and empower the human spirit.

heartsNcupcakes
Before your period your body goes trough tons of hormonal/chemical changes. So it can decrease the serotonin and heighten depression or anxiety.
Anonymous
August 22nd, 2015 8:19pm
Maybe because of the mood swings. Like some people get really angry or upset before it. Some people get depressed. So it might just me mood swings. It's normal, but if you see it as a problem, then I would suggest seeing a doctor about it.
TamaHawk
August 22nd, 2015 8:58pm
What your feeling is a Normal range of emotions before your period - hormones play a huge part in how you feel. Personally, I used to get major headaches and feel unhappy, but now I decide to hike. The increase in my serotonin level balances me out and the hike distracts me from my headache. What can you try or have tried that helps before you get depressed?
Anonymous
It's normal.. It happens to me all the time.. You'll just get over it one day.. Don't stress out....
Anonymous
Before your period, your hormones can get unbalanced and make you feel sad. This is called premenstrual syndrome (PMS) and "can include mood swings, tender breasts, food cravings, fatigue, irritability, and depression" among other things.
clearMoon
Pre-menopausal dysphoric disorder, or PMDD, is a real medical condition that is marked by extreme behavior changes before your period. It is very easy to treat, most commonly with birth control pills. Talk to your doctor, they should be able to help you out.
Anonymous
It could be hormonal. The rush of hormones as your body divests itself of the preparations that it had made for pregnancy.
September 2nd, 2015 3:07am
There are alot of "hormonal" changes that go along with the female "cycle". If you are having ongoing issues of feeling depressed during this timeframe, you might want to consider speaking with your healthcare provider to discuss options to help.
Flowerthingy
because the hormones passing through your brain can make you feel sad. it is very normal for young women to feel like this.
Anonymous
This is possible because your hormones are very much all over the place, and you have not got control over them
Anonymous
The hormones change before a period. These changes affect mood, weight and many more. This is known as PMS or PMT
erin749
There are multiple hormones present before the start of your period. These hormones can often cause unwanted mood changes.
Anonymous
Hormonal changes can wreck havoc with your emotions. I distinctly remember how angry and negative I used to become. Not only could I not get along with anyone else, I couldn't get along with myself!
Anonymous
This can be a result of Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD), which is a condition in which a woman has severe depression symptoms, irritability, and tension before menstruation. If you think you have this, it's worth looking into it deeper and see what you could do to eliminate it! This site has some good information: https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/007193.htm :)
paperCrane15
It is called "Premenstrual syndrome", you can read about it on Wikipedia or any medical website. Sometimes it may cause depressive mood
Justaoifethingss
Mostly hormones, or the anticipation of pain and discomfort. It's a normal thing, and I regularly experience it myself. Chat to someone and cuddle with a blanket and a buddy to make yourself feel better!
Anonymous
Hormonal imbalances. Your hormones have to increase for you to be able to carry a baby and can make you emotional.
Anonymous
That is a perfectly natural feeling experienced by millions of ladies around the world. Commonly referred to as PMS, it has been associated with the overwhelminghormonal and physical changes that take place in a woman's body during that time of the months. There are many ways to adapt to this sensation and better deal with it, including certainfoods,habbits, and exercises. Hope it gets easier for you :)
silverLove42
U'r depressed about ur period. Let me tell u that it happens with everyone and u must not feel awkward about it
Short
Sometimes, especially right before your period, the hormones in your mind are a bit unbalanced. This can lead to some mild depression and anxiety. However, not all hope it lost! The fact that you can recognize when this occurs and how you are affected by it shows that you have already taken the first step to managing it!
Anonymous
Ask a doctor about biological details. Even though I love studying this stuff, I am afraid that I cannot answer this question.
xDzazterQueenXoX
The fluctuation of hormones that we experience before our menstrual cycles has the ability to affect our brain chemistry, and cause a slightly depressed mood. It may also be a side effect of your PMS. It depends on you as a person. But it never hurts to ask your doctor!
Anonymous
You feel depressed before your period because your hormones are changing and that stressed your body.
whimsicalMoment68
it's just the hormone that make you feel depressed , don't worry it is normal to feel so before your period
Care4You17
I think us girls tend to feel so depressed before our periods is because the hormones in our bodies tend to go a little nuts, which affects our minds and our thoughts. So, the sad feelings are being created by the outburst of hormones. It is completely real, one just has to learn to understand that it is caused by hormones and will pass. Always remember that it will pass. :-)
pureatheart25
periods can come with a lot of symptoms varing from nausea, stomache cramps, headache, dizziness and mood swings
Anonymous
Your period can cause any number of emotional symptoms and depression is one of the more common ones, Chocolate helps
dreamwithmelovers31
hormones! they would be rushing around your body! also anxiety. i get extremely anxious because the pain can become unbearable :/
kindRose22
Because your body is raging with hormones. hormones can make you feel things like depression. its perfectly normal.
Andrew7
Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) is a condition in which a woman has severe depression symptoms, irritability, and tension before menstruation.