How can I stop being insecure in my relationship?

★ This question about Relationship Stress was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.

Richard Manson, BSW,CAP

Drug & Alcohol Counselor

Compassionate, non-judgemental and experienced substance abuse therapist driven to helping guide clients to overcome issues relating to abusing drugs and/or alcohol.

Anonymous
By embracing the fact that NOTHING is for FOREVER. Accept that people will change. Accept that being insecure means that you love the person.
taciturnessence
A relationship is a big step, I think that by being in a relationship you already faced and overcame many insecurities with yourself even if you didn't realize, soif you are already in a relationship you are not just dealing with your emotionsa and the best for your security and wellness in all states but also of other person, so there's a bond between you, in which you shouldn't feel insecure about, you should probably just remember the reason why you and that person got together and realize of all the things that bring you together instead of the ones that tear you apart and if after placing the goods and the bads of the relation is very important to keep connection with your partner and tell them how you feel and all of your problems they probably will understand or at least try because they obviously care for your wellness and if they don't you shouldn't stay with that person, you can always work on your relation, make the bond stronger but if you realize that the relation is not making any good or is making you suffer in any way you just end it, and focus on yourself. (not that abrupt though, always try to understand your partner too)
Anonymous
that stage will come with time. if you can't right now? then you can't right now. trust me, you are not mature enough. i am just being freaking honest here.
CHETAN
First it’s your relationship with yourself which you really need to work on. It all starts from accepting yourself. It’s impossible for somebody to accept you if you can’t accept yourself. Love yourself the way you are and be proud of everything that you do, even your mistakes. Because even mistakes mean you are trying. People don’t love us because we are perfect. Had it’s been the case, nobody would have found love as nobody is perfect. People love us because how we make them feel about themselves. Love is all about accepting, specially accepting the things which are imperfect. So, if it is a real relationship there is no point of feeling insecure. Otherwise you still have to find somebody who can love you the way you are.
Anonymous
January 2nd, 2016 9:45am
Try to stay within your bounds and comfort levels. Don't do anything your partner suggests or wants unless you either want to are comfortable doing so. It's also not bad to ask them to affirm you
magneticPomegranate96
He/She should make you feel beautiful both on the insides and out.
SteveDyp
Well, you first gotta be sure that your partner is there for you, that he can understand and support you. Talk to your half about these things, don't keep them inside. After you cleared that out, it's as easy as that trust game, when you let yourself fall and you get caught by your partner. If it's a strong, healthy relationship, you'll see how easy it gets to feel confortable with the loved one. I hope this was helpful, and i also hope you'll succeed.
AlyStar
By believing in yourself and trusting that you're more than enough you don't need anybody but yourself to be happy
Anonymous
Insecurity is just a construct you created for yourself, and the moment you realize that your relationship isn't fully dependent on your seen good qualities, you will stop being insecure. Your lover won't see the imperfections you do, whether its the way your laugh sounds or the way your nose crinkles. Chances are, your significant other even finds your insecurities adorable since they're a part of you.
TranquilLynx84
First, understand that it is not at all uncommon to feel insecure in a relationship. You are not alone. Second, know that there are ways to feel more confident -- by trusting your intuition, taking the time to fully process your feelings, and being kind to yourself without judgment -- and third, to reach out and talk with a listener at 7cups.com.
Anonymous
What makes you insecure in your relationship? Have you talked to your partner? Have you talked to a relationship counselor with your partner maybe?
CallMeBuffy
Communication. I cannot stress this enough. Talk to your partner, trust them. If you have worries, try and explain why, what it is. It's better to talk it out than to internalise it all
Braesiat
just know that any sensible person would not be in a relationship with you just because. They are in a relationship with you because they care about you and want to be there for you.. so if they didn't feel like you were worth it, they would invest time in you and he/she is.. so you're special to them.
peacefulMoment24
Some cases you can't get rid of the insecurities. Even though you have insecure issues doesn't mean he your partner doesn't. In most cases if you have insecure issues, so does your partner.
Anonymous
Security in a relationship is based on mutual trust and open communication. Talk with your partner openly and be sure that there are no feelings of distrust hiding in the closet.
Anonymous
You should include some affirmations in your life! Tell yourself that you are beautiful, kind, generous, warm and intelligent person and that every boy/girl should be happy to date you. Or ask your friends what they genuinely think of you. You'll see that you are even better person than you think. Good luck!
KindHeart3141
Honesty is the best policy, it can lead to the ability to be open about fears and worries which in turn can abate them. A burden shared is a burden halved. If you cannot be honest, its possible that the insecurity will grow and the relationship will fail or become unhealthy.
Anonymous
Look inwards and realize the core of your insecurities; then you make a choice: over come it or dont
Anonymous
Remember that that person is in your life for a reason, they chose you and they think you are perfect. YOU ARE PERFECT
WonderlandRabbit
Its difficult to stop being insecure in a relationship; however, a relationship is a two way commitment and insecurity on one end may spread to the other. First, try to rely on yourself and build up your confidence by acknowledging both your positive and negative aspects of your personality. If that doesn't work its okay to ask others around you for support especially your partner. Letting them know of your insecurities is the best way not to avoid miscommunication.
MadilynRose
It might be a good idea to talk to your partner about what you're specifically insecure about! That way, everything's out in the open, and you can work on ways together of feeling more secure!
Anonymous
Work on being more confident in your self. Make a list of all the qualities that you posses that make you feel happy,worth while or successful. Then turn that list into a sort of mirror for yourself, if you can boost your self esteem then your relationship with other people with flourish because the relationship you have with yourself is so lovely.
iListen
I think its innate for humans to feel a little insecure sometimes. But for some of us, the insecurity may not last for just a little while. Sometimes the insecurity gets to an unhealthy level and paralyzes us or worse, those around us. We tend to focus so much on our own flaws that we fail to realize how much we are affecting the people who truly care about us. Insecurity is something that will take a lot of time, effort and love to get over with. I believe the first step to overcoming our insecurities is to open up and allow the people close to us to help us. Not only that but we should also learn to trust the people we love.
Anonymous
Insecurity is something that is extremely personal, because it depends on you and your feelings towards yourself and the situations around you. I can relate to feeling insecure because it is something I struggle with every single day, even in my relationship too. Personally, I have simply talked to my partner about it and since they know me better than anyone and they know my weaknesses and strengths and so they know that they just need to give me a little more reassurance about things every now and again and they do, which is helpful to me and keeps me feeling safe and secure in the relationship and in general. Dealing with insecurity is a very difficult thing and it's not just an off and on switch kind of thing, it's an ongoing challenge... It's something I work at constantly and I'm constantly getting better.
Anonymous
Talk to your partner about it and they can help you feel more comfortable with the relationship. Though there are probably many other ways.
PileOfRubbles
Can you? Maybe you already did that just by thinking it. Who knows. Give it a try. Its in you. Only you can chang you and ONLY If you really want it
Axks
Trust the other person in said relationship to have a good enough reason to care for you. Questioning your position in a relationship is helpful only from time to time. Constantly doing so makes you come up with reasons to doubt yourself, while the best thing about a relationship is to be able to stop being actively aware of who you are while in it, because, be it friendship, be it love, a relationship is a warm place for people to be themselves together.
NattyByNature
Confess to your partner about your insecurities , or a friend or family member or maybe even a councilor
Anonymous
You talk to your significant other to clear things out. It helps when you're both on the same page in the relationship.
TheCup
It only stops when you decide it. When you do, everything will be much clearer than what you think it is. "Insecure" is fear of being fooled, or left out. Be dependent on no one. A person who needs no one is powerful.