How to stop overthinking things in a relationship?

Jannise McKamey-Bruell, LAPC

I am a nonjudgmental counselor that employs transparency, trust, honesty and integrity in her practice and in the therapeutic relationship.

Anonymous
Overthinking in general can often be a difficult problem to control. However, you should try to remeber that the people you are in relationships with love you, or they are not worthy of your time.
Anonymous
Communication is key. Sit down with your significant other and just talk about things you both have concerns about. It really opens it up between you two and you can usually figure things out better in person.
Anonymous
Talk to your partner about how you are feeling. Sometimes having assurance from your partner will help with how you think in a situation.
Kenton17
Take a moment to step back and realize everything is going to be alright. The key to a successful relationship is trust within each other.
Roshney
maybe what i try is to dedicate myself to selflove and self care and doing the things that makes me feel better.. to think about my positive is wad i try and do.
Alley624
Go with the flow and talk to your partner. Look for the good instead of the bad . Communication is key
ClaudiaSpinach
do activities that increase your trust in your partner. Also, trust in yourself to be vulnerable to another person, to be in a relationship, to make the other person happy is also important
Kittmousie
Communication is key. Considering my significant other does not have the same anxieties as myself, it takes strong communication for them to understand that my mind can race with unfound thoughts sometimes and that is just how I am. Sometimes it is controllable, but at least with communication my S.O. can anticipate or predict more easily my train of thoughts and help overcome them with me before I am overwhelmed.
Anonymous
Be calm and straight headed when making serious decisions. Think things out and consider but don't stress over any ups and downs. Don't let yourself think bad thinks are always going to happen. Try and be positive and think in the moment outside of decision making.
Anonymous
Sometimes while in a relationship, we tend to think about the consequences a lot, which usually hampers the relationship. Maybe, it will be better if we started to take things as they are, live in the present than worry about the future, and make sure that we respect the partner for who he or she is.
beenseendoneit
instead of thinking communicate ! Whatever it is you're worried about talk it over with you're partner, let them know what you're worried about in a calm and collected manner
JustASammy19
December 23rd, 2017 12:35am
When I notice I am overthinking I start with being mindful of that fact. Then I write down in short words what the thoughts are about. This makes it less all over the place and more manageable. Sometimes, this alone is already enough to get it out of my headspace. If not, I try to look at every thought individually. First objectively, then with emotion. Even if you don't work it out, it will feel more manageable. I try to stop within five minutes and continue the actual task at hand.
Anonymous
If you are ever unsure in a relationship, sometimes you are best to just speak to your partner/ friend and clarify what it is that you are worrying about
Anonymous
Try trusting your partner that can help. Sometimes we forget trust when we start to wonder who they are talking to or who they hang out with we worry about things more than we should. It is okay not to know everything about your partner!
silentbeauty98
Relationships are different experiences for different people. Some can glide through them on a day to day basis while some like to think things through. It is completely okay to sometimes think about stuff. However if it starts to hamper your relationship, try to talk with your partner. Most of the times overthinking comes from misunderstanding. Good communication is the key here. I hope it helps. Take care :)
Anonymous
To stop overthinking things in a relationship, you gotta eliminate the negativeness in the relationship and be nice to each other.
SlowHealing
The best relationships are the ones that flow naturally. Take things one day at a time. Take things at face-value. Enjoy being with the person! Don't think about the what-if's, just enjoy the feeling of being in love.
JJill1
Personally, I think its all about changing the way you think. If you start to overthink, try to combat it with a positive thought or something to counteract it. Like for example, "No, its okay, You know them and you trust them, I trust they will not cheat." We all have those far out thoughts once in a while, just reassure yourself :) We all need it once in a while!! You can also vent, sometimes just getting it all out can really help and you realize what your saying, how it is not accurate how you are thinking. :)
Anonymous
Take a deep breath and remember it may not be the way things really are. Talk to your boy/girlfriend about it to clear things up and it will help
Elena2081
Just take a moment with your partner and talk about it. And if there is something they don't agree with, then both of you should come to an answer that both of you are happy with.
BellaStorm17
By trusting our partner and our love completely,but not blindly.This will promote positivity,love and well being in any relationship.
beautifulDreamer33
By focusing on positive things about yourself and improving them, build your confidence based on your beautifull parts of personality.
Anonymous
March 2nd, 2018 1:55am
Learn to trust more and accept that you can’t have that person All to yourself . Yes he or she might have other friends he wants to talk and hang out with and that’s ok too!
penelopecelia
Have an honest and open conversation with your partner about the things you are overthinking. Ask them questions to avoid making assumptions and be honest with how you feel so they can better understand you.
Anonymous
It's a continued work in progress, but usually, keeping one creatively preoccupied with your favorite activities; fitness, artistic, or whatever. However, while doing so, always remember the favorable moments during that time unit done, then after continue the remaining of your day as normal.
kaylaelliott124
whenever i overthink things in a relationship i often take a step back and look at the worse case and best case in a scenario and when doing that i often find that neither case is that extreme and i can then reevaluate what i am thinking
charmingOcean7307
Leaning acceptance is key! Feeling safe in the fact that you can not control what you can not control and no matter what the outcome will be, you will be okay. Everything is going to be okay, so enjoy the present
PerfectlyDelirious
Try distracting yourself. Paint, make music, go out with a friend or family member. Take your mind off of it for a little while!
joyfulBeauty74
Try and talk to you're partner or significant other about your fears and what you have been thinking about to make them understand.
fezanur
I think you must feel yourself before you feel your partner.And saying things in your mind loudly not quitly.