Why do I feel so inferior and worthless and useless all the time?

★ This question about Depression was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.

Lindsay Simon, LMFT

I work from a holistic perspective to help my clients heal from various mental, emotional, and relationship problems. My style is direct,honest, supportive, and nonjudgmental.

Anonymous
This is a mental construct, that you are too adhered to. Chances are, you are measuring this by the wrong metric, which is other people. You decide and define your own worth, not other people, and not you in comparison to other people.
optimisticOak689
you don't its just the feeling that you have or the way you think about yourself makes you feel like you are worthless and useless, but you're not....you have so many things to do with your life and so many things you can do to your life, its just a matter of time until you figure it out ....be strong you are here for a reason to make something with your life just remember be someone who everyone will remember you for....your friends,family....just hang in there
Anonymous
You feel inferior and worthless and useless all the time. Why do you feel like that? What could be causing that?
AndyDufresne1994
My PERSONAL belief is this use of social media 24/7 has done this to us. When you are taking part in this you are basically looking at all the wonderful things other people seem to have. Basically you are measuring yourself all the time against unfair ruler. I learned when I was able to set my own goals and my own ideas for happiness. I was, well happy!
Flumpy
You may be focusing on all of the negatives instead of the positives things you have done. There will always be some form of progress no matter what as long as you apply yourself.
Anonymous
You got to change howb you think. Stay positive and have positive reminders around. Cause you are none of those things
Fraz
Mostly because you don't self-appreciate while overly-appreciating the laurels of others and sometimes, even exaggerating them. Look towards the positives in you and start rewarding yourself for them.
Anonymous
We are often pressured to be super good or special. Our abilities, success, appearance etc. don't seem enough. Although in fact, those things don't determine one's worth in the slightest. Each person is worthy. Self-esteem is tricky but not impossible to gain over time.
ASilentObserver
Because of your past experiences. Due to others behavior towards you. There could be many reasons which could make you feel inferior. To feel better, remind yourself about the good things you did, the efforts you made to achieve something, your milestones, accomplishments, good memories and positive thoughts about yourself. It will help you to feel better.
ItsJoel
Everyone has their low days.. It may seem like you feel that way all the time but it will get better! I can assure you of that :D
HaileyJS
People tend to compare themselves to others- you're not useless, you're YOU. You may feel this way for how youve been treated in the past- but believe me you're worth something to anyone important and thats all that matters.
Anonymous
some people may feel that way because perhaps they've failed at something once & instead of trying again, they just stopped and let the failure take control.
Anonymous
Because you've convinced yourself you are that. As the saying goes: Before you consider yourself an idiot, make sure these around you are not themselves idiots.
Anonymous
October 22nd, 2015 3:09am
When we compare ourselves to others we loose track of how amazing we are as individuals there something that we can do that other people can't and things other people can do that we can't. We are all individuals and no one of us are alike we should try to be the best that we can be and not compare ourselves to others because we're not them.
YourFutureBestFriend
My guess is either stress, depression or anxiety. So many people have one or the other or maybe even more than one. It's okay.
Hatsuharu
You may feel worthless and useless because you feel as though you don't make a difference. But you by all means make a very being difference to the world. I know as a fact that I'm worthless and useless but that doesn't stop me from trying my best to be useful. I don't have the ability to do so many things, mainly because no one tought me or I was too scared to try. So right now I'm trying to listen to as many people as possible and help them with their troubles. Helping people like this is the most that I can do to be useful at the moment
Baba
Inferiority complex is a common problem among youngsters and even in adults . It is mainly subconscious . It drives people to overcompensate resulting in either spectacular achievements or extremely non social behavior . It can occur when feelings of being inferior are intensified with a failure or discouragement . It Can be Treated by constant monitoring by A psychologist and support .
DanielRiot
it can be as simple as you may be seeing the cup haf empty. look as what is good in you not what is bad. if you always do what you always did then you will always get what you always got.
zaix
Because maybe someone has brought you down or told you these things and after a while we start to believe the things people have said about us. Maybe, no one tells you how much you mean to them and how much of an impact you have on them or their life. But the truth is, you mean something to someone, you are worth something to someone.
Spiderman93
what do you think you could do to change that feeling. keep busy doing thing you enjoy when you get the chance. life is precious. you deserve to have a better feeling about yourself.
Anonymous
Maybe because you could possibly be comparing yourself to other people; compare yourself to yourself and you'll be happy
Anonymous
Feelings of inferiority can have many different reasons. For example, loss of self-esteem is a symptom of depression and of many other mental illnesses. It can also be the result of personal experience, f.e. perceived failure of some kind or trauma. Another possible cause are people who put you down, f.e. bullies and toxic friends, and it's often also a result of emotional or physical abuse. The important thing to remember, whatever the cause, is that the reason is NOT YOU. Even though it may feel as if you're a worthless person and everything is your fault, you have to remember that every person, including you, is precious. You could work against this feeling in many ways. My advice would be to examine your relationships. Are you in an abusive or a toxic relationship? Are there people who make you feel bad about yourself? Do you maybe need to work against bullying? Try to limit your interaction with toxic people and spend more time with supportive people. Connecting with friends more, or finding new friends, can be extremely helpful. You should also consult a doctor or a mental health professional to make sure the feelings are not caused by an illness. You should try to find new coping mechanisms, focusing on self-care and self-acceptance. Try looking up positive affirmations concerning self-worth on Google or Youtube and say them aloud to yourself every day, preferably in front of a mirror (might feel weird at first, but will help in the long run). Try writing down things you like about yourself and ask your family and friends to do this for you, too. Then carry them with you and read them on a regular basis. Good luck and remember: you are already amazing, you just need to practice seeing it! :)
Mydogted18
It could be due to variety of reasons for example, arguments at home/loosing battle with family members/friends/bosses, perhaps you are unwell and you cannot look after your children/dependent adult or mother/father. Perhaps you are unemployed and have been in that cycle for a while.
Anonymous
I too feel this way from time to time, for me it would have to be probably due to my low self-esteem!
Anonymous
Because you want to feel that way. But you have everything to be happy, just have to find the way to express your self and enjoy the life with people that really cares about you
ListeningOak
When we're feeling down it becomes very easy to start ruminating on the same self critical thoughts and get even more depressed, creating a cycle. As people we tend to judge ourselves by harsher standards than we judge anyone else, I think we need to always remind ourselves that we deserve some slack too.
Anonymous
I personally felt worthless when I reached a high peak in my depression because I wasn't around the best people. My so-called "friends" weren't very supportive and when I told them about my anxiety they laughed and said I was seeking attention. Perhaps you aren't surrounded by the correct people, and that is why you feel this way. Take a moment and think about this and be brave and take an action that will help you the best. You now what's best for you more than anyone else.
slowTime
Are there other people saying this to you? Or is it your own judgment? The fact that you are a human is already something!
KarmaListen
November 1st, 2015 10:37pm
No one is worthless on this planet .. Each soul was created to be a part of a great plan and one day you will find your own answer even in the eyes of a small child whom you have helped .. a little smile and "thank you" will make you feel alive and useful ..You were created for a reason .. Don't ever let yourself be treated less than you really worth :)
Anonymous
Sometimes we feel that way when we've not been taught that we're valuable. Many times, we continue in that thought pattern because of our behaviours, even if we're not conscious of it. I've learned that I was being mean to myself by not eating. That gave me a subconscious message that I wasn't good enough. I didn't even know it. I had no idea until I was in therapy.