How long does it take to get over someone?

★ This question about Breakups was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.

Tanyia Hughes, Adv Dip Psy

Psychotherapist

I have been through a lot in life too, which helps me to be able to empathize with situations, thoughts and feelings that we have. Sometimes, it's not easy just being human.

LordSabi
It truly depends on the person, and well, everything. Assuming this is on the topic of breakups, I could probably say 2-4 weeks?
seesarrow
It will depend on how long you were with them, the intensity of the relationship, as well as your own determination to heal and grow from the experience.
PondIsle
That varies for everyone- there's really no way to tell. I personally have had relationships that range anywhere from a week for me to get over the person, to years. It all depends on too many factors to list...
peachysunny
any amout of time its diffrent for evryone so it dosnt matter how long because no amout of time is wrong at all
gracefulUnicorns50
How ever long it takes your heart to forget only time will tell it might take you a year a week depends I can't predict how long it will take because I'm not YOU.
considerateCloud58
It varies. No one can determine how long it'll take to get over heartbreak. That's for your heart to decide
Anonymous
It depends on the length and depth of the relationship, the circumstances surrounding the breakup, your own personality, and many other factors. There isn't a "one-size-fits-all" method to it.
DipityEnigma
There is no set time. It will take longer if you cling onto false hope and emotions. Try to tell the difference between loving someone and loving what they are.
LovelyLilyRose23
It really depends how much you loved them, like for me I was in love with a boy and I didn't started dating after a 1 year & 9 months
sadi1994
It depends from person to person. For some, it takes a few weeks, while others may require months. It is important to be patient and keep in mind that it'll happen at its own pace.
rainyRose49
This answer depends entirely upon you as an individual, how strong the feelings were for the other person and how long you have known them. It will take as long as you need for it to and that's ok. :)
Anonymous
Every one has their own way of moving on. No one is going to have the exact same method. Just do what you feel works best and focus on yourself and not worry about anyone else!
NDS369
It depends on the person, and how deep the relationship was, it's longer when one retires in a shell and can be shorter when goes for a rebound and meets someone better.
heartsNcupcakes
Everyone mends in their own time. But rest assured no matter how long it takes, you will get over that person. Everything passes with time and everything is constantly changing.
Anonymous
Each and everybody and also each relationship is different. For some, the pain might faint more quickly, for others it might be far longer. The most important thing is that you don't avoid your feelings and that you grieve properly, because otherwise you can't get over it.
Sunshine99x
time can't tell you how long it will take a to get over their former significant other it just depends on how each person deals with it
Imhereforyou88
It varies for some people it can take a long time for others I can take a short period time do something to get your mind off it. Talk fi friend Friend or talk to a family member or a trusted adult I fine that to alway help ;)
heavenKoala44
it can take as long as you want. as long as you stay on your own, do not open your heart to others, it will take a long time to recover from an heartbreak with someone. you should fight to exit this situation of sadness and depression, of loneliness.
Mimigloss
However long you make it! There are many things you can do to get over someone-for example, I know this may not seem great, but I list the cons of the person, more than thinking of how much I like them. Whenever I drift to daydream about them, I shift my mind to someone else! It really depends.
MirandaPearl
That can change from person to person and it definitely does vary depending on the situation, but i recommend taking as long as you need! You're only human and its okay to feel things even long after the relationship is over
butterflykisses27
It varies from person to person. Some people can take months and or years to get over someone. Its an individual thing and not definable by a set time limit.
zaix
It depends on how you deal with the situation tbh, if you spend every waking moment thinking about it and not trying to go out and live your life then it's going to take quite a while but if you go out and have fun and meet new people and get over the past.
empathicAngel83
Getting over someone depends on the person that is trying to get over someone. It's different for everyone because of the different methods one takes to move on. For some people it may take a few hours or some, years, or sometimes never.
StevensLion
There's no real answer to this question. It all depends on you, what you do and the person you're getting over. It could take weeks, months, or even years. But it will happen.
Anonymous
It depends really, it depends on how much you cared for them, how long you were together and if you see them after the breakup. It gets easier though, it takes time but it gets easier.
Anonymous
It varies from person to person, and every instance is different. Take comfort in knowing that time heals all wounds. (:
Stormearth
It can be different from person to person. It's a process you work with. You can't tell how long it takes.
Anonymous
I suppose we should start with what it means to "get over someone." I don't think there's a black or white answer as to what that means. For some, it could mean less intense emotions when thinking about this person. For others, it could mean no feelings at all and rarely thinking of the person. When a breakup occurs, there is usually some grief, along with other emotions. These are all normal, and it's important to give yourself space and patience after a breakup.
friendlyEars70
In my opinion, there is no specific number of days you can attach to getting over someone. Based on my experience, It depends on each person individually and the connection you had with the person you are trying to get over. I believe that focussing on the time it takes to get over someone might make moving on more difficult. Focussing on moving on in a healthy way and getting to a place of happiness and comfort with where you are with the particular person and, more importantly, yourself, in my opinion, should be the main goal of moving on.
silverSound86
It works differently for different people. Time is the greatest healer. Over time and with one's willingness to move on, one can get over someone.