Is it normal to not want to get better?

192 Answers.
Top Rated Answer
kaitykait
Yes it's completely normal. When you are depressed for a long period of time, you may get comfortable and it may feel easier to just stay sad because recovery seems too difficult. That is normal, however if you're able to talk to a therapist or counselor about that it would be very beneficial.
Newest Answer
MilkyHoneyTea
Yes! I am feeling the same way right now, it has been so long since I have been normal I don't know what it's like! Normalcy scares me but by using this website you are taking a step towards managing your symptoms! You are taking the first stay! You are being successful! You are taking charge! You are being healthy! Thank you!

Take our free test to better understand yourself and Depression

Take this emotional wellness test! Less than 2 minutes.
Owen27
I have felt the same. Sometimes I found that being down only made me want to stay down and listen to sad music. Also people's expectations of you can weigh heavy and having an excuse to not feel as pressured can be comforting. Change is also scary and if you've experienced things that has made you have a consistent mood, lifting yourself up could make you feel like you're lying to yourself.
themoreyoulook
It is actually normal to not want to get better! First of all, your natural state has been one of unease and despair, and it's natural that you're comforted by this - it's what you've known for so long, and we stay in places we find familiar. Another reason you may wish to stay where you are might be the fear of relapsing after you're getting better; falling back into a dark hole once you're in the sun is definitely scary and frustrating, so wouldn't it be better to avoid the disappointment? Similarly, you may believe that you'll never be happy, no matter what you do, so why even attempt to get better? But through it all you have to remember that just like the rain always passes and the sun always comes out, so will your sadness pass and happiness emerge - if you allow it. At the same time you have to accept that nothing is permanent, and relapses are normal. Finally, you have to step outside of your comfort zone - because only after you leave this can you begin to grow :)
RhinocerosWings
It's completely understandable to not want to get better. This is all you know. It's all you HAVE known. Change is frightening. But it will be ok in the end. If it's not ok yet, it's not the end yet.
Whisperingwoods
Looking for answers on the internet...we've all been there. I just want you to know you don't have to figure this out on your own. I know this might not be something you want to discuss with your friends or family, but if you join this site you can get free, anonymous support from trained listeners and a huge support community. Nobody is here to judge.
Anonymous
Is it entirely normal to have trouble exercising motivation, telling yourself you will never get better, having personal speech problems. But there is solutions to this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGuZVuUBeiQ (cool video I recommend watching), stop telling yourself you are stupid and pathetic, stop telling yourself you can't do anything, stop telling yourself it is impossible to change, because you are wonderful and amazing!
Random28
I believe we all want to feel better, on some level at least. It's just that there are a lot of things which can prevent a person from doing anything to make themeselves feel better or even want to put an effort in it. It feels normal to not want to get better because sometimes you've been wanting to feel better for so long, and it feels like nothing you do is working, and you start to feel like that wanting itself is just causing you more pain, that it would easier to just give up. Getting better is hard. When you're bad for so long, you're used to it and getting better is something stranger and somehow terrifying. However, things which feel normal doesn't mean they're good for us. Getting better is hard, because it's something good. Every good thing in life is hard to reach after all; the hardest the challenge, the better the result. Though it's hard and the easier way seems vetter, getting better is something that we all deserve.
Char1otte
Sometimes, the thought of feeling ‘better' can raise many emotions and feelings. Feeling ‘better’ may be daunting for some, especially when one has experienced a negative sense of well-being for a long period of time. Being in a negative state of mind, depressed, anxious etc. can sometimes a norm, a comfort, one’s identity, and by feeling ‘better’ this is all taken away. Therefore, it is completely understandable to sometimes have the thought of not wanting to feel ‘better’. I can re-assure you, you will not be alone with this thought!! However, with support, steps, and goals in place feeling ‘better’ can be a very safe and rewarding process. A process that everyone can achieve. I wish you the best of luck with the path ahead of you. Please remember, 7cups is here to support you!
LondynRose
It is normal not to want to get better. When you have been unwell for a while you end up getting used to that way of life and it feels safe. The fear of the unknown makes us want to stay in our comfort zone.
listeningsinger1001
Yes. Yes it is. Sometimes you need to have a piece of you locked away hidden in sight that only you know about. And that is when you have it. And maybe that part of you will never be better. But it will always be there for you to look at and to have to help you when you do want to be better again.
pie
Normal, yes. But is it healthy? No. Many people feel comfortable in a dark place because they've been there for so long, they are afraid of happiness, etc. If you're feeling like this, though, there is still hope and you CAN get better with perseverance.
Anonymous
Yes. It is normal to not want to get better. Humans are creatures of habit. It seems you have got stuck in a stagnation habit. You may have become comfortable being stagnant and you don't want to get better because of this.
coolvibes
with the idea of getting better comes changes and that can trigger the fear of expectations and possibly even failure. Getting healthier is not so, black and white. Itrhink getting healthy means accepting every aspect of one's self. The strong and vulnerable characteristics everyone hold i n their personality. getting healthy does not mean you won't ever revisit the more vulnerable side to yourself again it just means you can navigate that moment more effectively.
sereneDreamer45
Yes, that's the biggest barrier to recover. You lose the motivation to get better. You convince yourself that you deserve to feel this way.(you don't ) you get so used to the way you're feeling that you forget who you were without you're illness/sadness. You feel like you won't be the same. I promise, if you can find the motivation to get better, you will do it eventually and you will still be the same person, only you'll have so many more opportunities to show off who you are. ❤
SpreadHopelikeFire
Yeah, it is. Don't you worry about that thought. "You can get addicted to a certain kind of sadness" - it's a true statement.
Anonymous
It's definitely normal but isn't the best idea. After some time of getting used to a certain lifestyle or mindest it becomes familiar, "safe" or easy. It's understand that you would choose something you know, something that feels safe, rather than trying to get betting and getting into new things or trying change. Sometimes staying in the safe zone is a poor choice regarding to how successful or happy you can truly be. Really think about, it's definitely up to you but sometimes what scares you the most is probably the better decision.
BurningEmber
Yes. It is normal to not want to get better. It is considered learned helplessness. You are used to where you are and you know nothing else and you really don't want to make another change.
Millichidulinas
No that's not "normal" and not a good thing. You need to have a professional help, I think.
Anonymous
7 cups of tea is a very nice platform to express our feelings to those who cares.Love you seven cups
neonstars1881
Yes it normal. We like to hold onto our unhealthy ways. We don't want to get out of our comfort zones. Getting better means changing,and changing is hard.
Blynng
It is rather common for people to not want to get better, actually. Our minds and our bodies are structured in such a way that they are accustomed to habits. After a while, the idea of trying to get better and failing to get better becomes scarier than not trying at all. This is a sense of anxiety that a lot of people feel when it comes to the idea of hope; hope is a very scary thing to have! Sometimes, though, we have to walk the steps of what we know we need, and not what we want to need.
orangerosess
It is completely normal. I have dealt with that as well. Sometimes we feel we need to be punished or we may fear change. Sometimes we just don't know what it feels like to be happy. Maybe it's none of those things and it's a mystery for you to discover.
Anonymous
Sure! A lot of people, especially people who are struggling with long-term illness or anguish go back-and-forth in their will and motivation to improve their well-being. Persevering is hard, even if you have the tools to get by with. We are human and we are each very different with different strengths and weaknesses, and comparing our lives to each others to determine a normality is just not fair to anyone. Normal is anything but, and every individual has a different definition of what normal means to them. How do you define 'normal'? Looking further into yourself for clues as to who you are can help you grow into yourself in a more natural way without feeling as though it's being forced. Why do you think you don't want to get better? Do you consistently not want to get better? When was the last time you wanted to get better, and how did you feel then? How do you feel when you imagine yourself 'better'? Why do you feel that way? Remember, because we are individuals it is okay for us to 'get better' at our own pace, and that may mean taking a break from trying to be better now and then too if that's what is needed. Good luck soul-searching and good on you for reaching out and asking such a great question.
TaranWanderer
It can be very normal! When we have been a certain way or gone through something for a long enough time, it becomes the every-day way of life. And even if it's not good for us, it's comfortable because it's familiar. It also takes time to want to get better, sometimes our bad situation/habits is doing a service for us in some for or other, and to give that up in order to "get better" means changing an important part of your life.
Anonymous
Not wanting to get better can be caused by several reasons, all of which are completely valid. Once you get used to a certain situation or feeling a certain way, you can become accustomed to it, and although it might not be an enjoyable feeling, it can be comfortable to you because that's what you know. Change can be scary, because what you're used to will be different now, and there can be uncertainty about what things will be like in the future.
Recent Answers
KnitterGirl
Absolutely! It can be very comfortable to stay where we are. Wanting to get better means accepting change, which can be frightening and difficult - but it can also be so worth it!
kindHand56
I think it's normal to feel like this, but eventually, you MUST find the motivation from within you to get back up! It's the only way forward. Hope this helps
iliketurtlesthemost72
Of course it is. I would of course need to know more about your specific topic, but wanting to be better is just human nature.
Anonymous
Yes, this is normal. Sometimes change can seem scary, or we find comfort in our troubles. Getting better can take a lot of commitment and sometimes it might feel like we're not ready.
MissHeather
It may be easier this way, but it the more challenging way may bring more positive results in life.
lolitarose13
Yes. Often when we go through hard times, our thoughts are so incredibly complex that we can't see straight, and therefore we may opt for no help, as we do not see it the same way a loved one may.
Anonymous
For people with depression it's very hard to make progress. So they just give up, and don't want to make any progress (get better) since they may think their case is helpless.
wonderfullLake74
Sometimes when we are depressed we don't care if we get better and feel apathetic. It's normal, but if it lasts too long, it would be in your best interest to speak to someone.
Sintix
Yes. A lot of times when people go through things, their mindset changes. Such as someone who is battling severe depression may be in the mindset that they are worthless, or need to harm themselves. I sincerely hope whatever you're going through isn't that severe. Sometimes not wanting to get better could be lack of attention or motivation as well. No matter what you're dealing with, it is normal to struggle with wanting to get better and not. It definitely takes devotion, and often times that is hard to have.
Engineeringhappiness
if you feel like you dont want to get better its because you have gotten used to your situation. you need to get help. your jar is full, so let go of some things.
compassionateDay97
I would say this is very normal. It could be due to the comfort zone of being in a routine, where you are most comfortable. It can be scary knowing if you're better things may change.
meritocracyis
I think it's pretty normal. When you're in a deep hole, everything is tiring. Getting up from bed is tiring, thinking about getting out of the bed is tiring, and so on. Basic things are tiring let alone wanting to get better. It just takes too much energy.
ItsMichelle
It's normal to not want to get better because you may not be ready to take a huge step in getting better in the meantime but are looking to be better another day.
Alyssapositive
March 3rd, 2018 2:47pm
It is completely okay to feel unmotivated every so often. Life is exhausting. But if you feel that this is affecting your everyday life, there may be a more serious issue which needs to be addressed.
Anonymous
It is definitely normal, at least in my experience and that of my friends. I feel that it’s hard to want to get out of a difficulty when it starts to feel familiar. They can sometimes start to work like a toxic safety net, one that only pretends to catch you when you fall.
Anonymous
February 22nd, 2018 4:50am
Yes it is completely normal. I can sometimes feel like that myself because depression can sometimes feel cozy in a way.
flowering
February 21st, 2018 10:48pm
You may struggle for a while therefore when an opportunity comes by where you can get better, it might be the case of fearing what would happen next when you're so used to feeling the way you did.
Meggy123
February 21st, 2018 7:36pm
Yes. Unfortunately it is, at least from what I've seen. I know that I personally don't want to get better, and I haven't in the past. However it's important to get better, for your health and for your future.
Anonymous
February 21st, 2018 7:00pm
It can be. Although this is common for some people, it is not healthy. Some people might feel they deserve to not get better and that is a negative way to think. This is a way people "punish" themselves and it is not healthy. You can want it, but it will be much harder to feel better the longer you put yourself through that. Please know that you deserve to feel better and amazing and loved, even if you don't want it or feel like you do. YOU DO.
Anonymous
Indeed this is normal. The idea of either returning to, or discovering a world of "normality" can be tremendously unnerving for an individual. Also it is normal to come to define oneself by that which has been diagnosed , by that which separates you from you immediate community . However these issues can be alleviated with the guidance of a Therapist
overtherainbow17
It is very normal. Just like anger, grief and sadness, etc. But when it becomes an unhealthy amount, where it's interfering with daily tasks and performance, it's best to try and get in with a therapist as soon as it's an option, because there is hope. No matter how debilitating a sickness may be, or depression episode, stress, anything. No matter what, you are so important, and there is hope. It matters on how you take that and perceive what's going on around you. At least for me, I've been scared to come out of my "little rock" I've been living under for quite some time now. Repeat hospitalizations,, day patients, 911 calls, therapists, bullying, depression, anxiety, BPD, etc. I am scared because I don't want to leave this familiar place. I am afraid to 'be happy'. I've loved the idea of it; always. But when I try, that depression grabs me right back down. Until and as soon as I can figure out a way to get past that, as soon as depression is trying to sneak up on me, the better a chance I have at making a full recovery, or at least succeeding in my path to true happiness. It's a familiar world, but I have to learn to try to enter new worlds, and be less shy. I've learned a lot from being a listener on here. Giving advice I hardly tried giving myself; because I felt worthless, pathetic, and more. And for you, or those seeking help, that is a great thing. As soon as you spot the first sign of something, try to advocate or get yourself some help. No one should ever feel like they don't want to get better. It's mostly about attitude, perseverance, support, and hope. Stay strong you all.
Anonymous
It is a common thing to not want to get better when it is something your used to. It is like a routine and whether its good or bad it's hard to get out of. It is a normal feeling to feel however when you are ready to it will be easier to get better.
Anonymous
of course! some people feel like it's better to stay safe than sorry, maybe you're just scared of what's to come but it IS normal. the important thing now is to reflect on why and work on how!
Anonymous
I think this is sometimes normal. For me I have personally experienced a lot of trauma, and I believe you have to be ready to face your trauma. Right now, I believe that if I start therapy, It may overwhelm me with starting college. I find it helps to do meditations and self help for now.
Anonymous
It's normal to feel this way, because getting better is going to be hard and a struggle, but it is worth it in the end. trust me I did it.
Anonymous
It is quite normal when we are feeling down and feel that things are not getting better. By unburdening ourselves, releasing distress (including by talking) can make us feel better. Feeling better is the first step in getting better.
EllenontheMountain
February 3rd, 2018 9:19pm
In some situations, the way you feel, even if it is negative, can give a feeling of safety. For many people, that can be difficult to get out of, so they are not able to work on themselves.
Anonymous
It is understandable, if not normal. Sometimes, the state we're in is all we know, so getting better is a foreign and perhaps even scary concept. However, getting better is a good thing, no matter how scary the unknown may seem.
nitwitoddmenttweakblubber
It is very normal. Sometimes when you've been in a low place for a long time, it almost feels like a security blanket. Getting better means stepping out of the comfort zone that you have made for yourself, and that's not an easy thing to do! However, as comfortable and safe as you may feel right now, there is so much more on the other side of those walls that are so difficult to scale. It's not an easy journey, and it's definitely not comfortable, but the payout is so worth it.