Is it normal to not want to get better?

134 Answers.
kaitykait

Yes it's completely normal. When you are depressed for a long period of time, you may get comfortable and it may feel easier to just stay sad because recovery seems too difficult. That is normal, however if you're able to talk to a therapist or counselor about that it would be very beneficial.

Owen27

I have felt the same. Sometimes I found that being down only made me want to stay down and listen to sad music. Also people's expectations of you can weigh heavy and having an excuse to not feel as pressured can be comforting. Change is also scary and if you've experienced things that has made you have a consistent mood, lifting yourself up could make you feel like you're lying to yourself.

RhinocerosWings

It's completely understandable to not want to get better. This is all you know. It's all you HAVE known. Change is frightening. But it will be ok in the end. If it's not ok yet, it's not the end yet.

Anonymous

Is it entirely normal to have trouble exercising motivation, telling yourself you will never get better, having personal speech problems. But there is solutions to this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGuZVuUBeiQ (cool video I recommend watching), stop telling yourself you are stupid and pathetic, stop telling yourself you can't do anything, stop telling yourself it is impossible to change, because you are wonderful and amazing!

themoreyoulook

It is actually normal to not want to get better! First of all, your natural state has been one of unease and despair, and it's natural that you're comforted by this - it's what you've known for so long, and we stay in places we find familiar. Another reason you may wish to stay where you are might be the fear of relapsing after you're getting better; falling back into a dark hole once you're in the sun is definitely scary and frustrating, so wouldn't it be better to avoid the disappointment? Similarly, you may believe that you'll never be happy, no matter what you do, so why even attempt to get better? But through it all you have to remember that just like the rain always passes and the sun always comes out, so will your sadness pass and happiness emerge - if you allow it. At the same time you have to accept that nothing is permanent, and relapses are normal. Finally, you have to step outside of your comfort zone - because only after you leave this can you begin to grow :)

LondynRose

It is normal not to want to get better. When you have been unwell for a while you end up getting used to that way of life and it feels safe. The fear of the unknown makes us want to stay in our comfort zone.

Anonymous

I believe we all want to feel better, on some level at least. It's just that there are a lot of things which can prevent a person from doing anything to make themeselves feel better or even want to put an effort in it. It feels normal to not want to get better because sometimes you've been wanting to feel better for so long, and it feels like nothing you do is working, and you start to feel like that wanting itself is just causing you more pain, that it would easier to just give up. Getting better is hard. When you're bad for so long, you're used to it and getting better is something stranger and somehow terrifying. However, things which feel normal doesn't mean they're good for us. Getting better is hard, because it's something good. Every good thing in life is hard to reach after all; the hardest the challenge, the better the result. Though it's hard and the easier way seems vetter, getting better is something that we all deserve.

listeningsinger1001

Yes. Yes it is. Sometimes you need to have a piece of you locked away hidden in sight that only you know about. And that is when you have it. And maybe that part of you will never be better. But it will always be there for you to look at and to have to help you when you do want to be better again.

Anonymous

Yes. It is normal to not want to get better. Humans are creatures of habit. It seems you have got stuck in a stagnation habit. You may have become comfortable being stagnant and you don't want to get better because of this.

Millichidulinas

No that's not "normal" and not a good thing. You need to have a professional help, I think.

Anonymous

7 cups of tea is a very nice platform to express our feelings to those who cares.Love you seven cups

coolvibes

with the idea of getting better comes changes and that can trigger the fear of expectations and possibly even failure. Getting healthier is not so, black and white. Itrhink getting healthy means accepting every aspect of one's self. The strong and vulnerable characteristics everyone hold i n their personality. getting healthy does not mean you won't ever revisit the more vulnerable side to yourself again it just means you can navigate that moment more effectively.

orangerosess

It is completely normal. I have dealt with that as well. Sometimes we feel we need to be punished or we may fear change. Sometimes we just don't know what it feels like to be happy. Maybe it's none of those things and it's a mystery for you to discover.

sereneDreamer45

Yes, that's the biggest barrier to recover. You lose the motivation to get better. You convince yourself that you deserve to feel this way.(you don't ) you get so used to the way you're feeling that you forget who you were without you're illness/sadness. You feel like you won't be the same. I promise, if you can find the motivation to get better, you will do it eventually and you will still be the same person, only you'll have so many more opportunities to show off who you are. ❤

SpreadHopelikeFire

Yeah, it is. Don't you worry about that thought. "You can get addicted to a certain kind of sadness" - it's a true statement.

Anonymous

Sure! A lot of people, especially people who are struggling with long-term illness or anguish go back-and-forth in their will and motivation to improve their well-being. Persevering is hard, even if you have the tools to get by with. We are human and we are each very different with different strengths and weaknesses, and comparing our lives to each others to determine a normality is just not fair to anyone. Normal is anything but, and every individual has a different definition of what normal means to them. How do you define 'normal'? Looking further into yourself for clues as to who you are can help you grow into yourself in a more natural way without feeling as though it's being forced. Why do you think you don't want to get better? Do you consistently not want to get better? When was the last time you wanted to get better, and how did you feel then? How do you feel when you imagine yourself 'better'? Why do you feel that way? Remember, because we are individuals it is okay for us to 'get better' at our own pace, and that may mean taking a break from trying to be better now and then too if that's what is needed. Good luck soul-searching and good on you for reaching out and asking such a great question.

TaranWanderer

It can be very normal! When we have been a certain way or gone through something for a long enough time, it becomes the every-day way of life. And even if it's not good for us, it's comfortable because it's familiar. It also takes time to want to get better, sometimes our bad situation/habits is doing a service for us in some for or other, and to give that up in order to "get better" means changing an important part of your life.

Anonymous

Sometimes it's hard to accept change, i know i do. When i know i need to but i dont want to, i think to myself, if this was someone else i'd want them better, so why not myself.

BurningEmber

Yes. It is normal to not want to get better. It is considered learned helplessness. You are used to where you are and you know nothing else and you really don't want to make another change.

neonstars1881

Yes it normal. We like to hold onto our unhealthy ways. We don't want to get out of our comfort zones. Getting better means changing,and changing is hard.

Blynng

It is rather common for people to not want to get better, actually. Our minds and our bodies are structured in such a way that they are accustomed to habits. After a while, the idea of trying to get better and failing to get better becomes scarier than not trying at all. This is a sense of anxiety that a lot of people feel when it comes to the idea of hope; hope is a very scary thing to have! Sometimes, though, we have to walk the steps of what we know we need, and not what we want to need.

NumberEleven

For a time it is, because sometimes you can't see what goes beyond what you're going through, that's perfectly normal though.

pie

Normal, yes. But is it healthy? No. Many people feel comfortable in a dark place because they've been there for so long, they are afraid of happiness, etc. If you're feeling like this, though, there is still hope and you CAN get better with perseverance.

Jenni42

Yes, many people feel this way. It's due to your current state feeling normal and predictable. You don't know what to expect if it changes and don't really want to take the risk.

TheGavin

Yes, when it comes to feeling as if there is no better. You are under that illusion. What is a better you? only you can answer that. The sooner you realize that the better you is closer then you think. The soon you will want to get their :)

MsYani

Yes, it is a normal FEELING to not want to get better. Depending on the situation (everyone's situation is different) a person may fee like they need to give up or they feel there is no solution. Why do we feel this way? Because we are INSIDE our problem. We feel like we are drowning even deeper when we try to climb our of our situation. A good reminder for this: Once we've hit rock bottom, the only way is up. and its always easier falling then getting back up. But the battle is worth it! ("You'll be okay" by A Great Big World; Listen as you reflect your new goals in life to get better!!)

Anonymous

Sometimes we lack the will to recover or motivation to try, you may feel that its not worth it and find an odd comfort in your own sadness

michelle2000

I wouldn't say it's normal to not want to get better, but I would definitely say that it's normal to not want to ask for help to get better. Of course, it depends on what you are struggling with. If, for example, you struggle with Anorexia, then I can see why you wouldn't want to get better because that would involve gaining weight to become healthy. But, say, if you had depression, it would be strange if you didn't want to get better and be happy again. Like I said, it depends on your condition.

uniqueMango45

If you have mental health problems, yes. In my personal experience it's a terrible nightmare where you're miserable but don't want to improve because you're used to and romanticize the bad feelings.

Gracey

For someone who has been unwell for a long period of time, it can be scary to think about getting better. I suppose there is no such thing as normal, maybe you should try and talk this over with a listener and explore the reasons why you don't want to get better :)

ItsAlyssa

Well it doesn't seem normal to me but you should get help because who wouldn't want to get better.i hope things go great

Anonymous

Yeah, sometimes we see ourselves defined by depression, ocd, anxiety, etc.. We then start thinking "if I'm not depressed, what am I?". Other times self-pity (in some cases not all) can also be indulgent.

alwaysafriend4u

it is normal not to want to get better. for what is "better"? "better" is a subjective observation. what you see as better is not necessarily what the suffering person see as better. we must assume we do not know all the pertinent information concerning one person. for a person is a world in itself. sometimes a person developed a complicated ,self restricting strategies ,that integrate the suffering into his life, in a never ending cycle. that is his way of coping.(in his eye-mind) . after all,sometimes, a person is his self worst enemy. if that person has strong self will, he is sure he knows what he is doing - then what? - the willing to get better must come from within that person. if that person did it for too long, until suffering/ faulty thinking become an integrated part of himself. that is the only way he knows. then what? a person is a world in itself. let him be.

Anonymous

You could be depressed, depressed makes us down and to lazy to be bothering with improving ourselves.

Anonymous

There are many people out there who doesnt want to get better, because seeking help seems impossible because they are scared, ashamed etc.

Anonymous
August 3rd, 2016 10:14am

this is common. I understand but I personally recommend seeking professional help. you might not want to but once you've done it you will feel relived

Anonymous

Maybe it's about your situation.If you get more attention now,you won't want to turn back.I understand this.

hopefulHand19

It is totally normal not to want to get better. Personally, I didnt want to get better, because i was so scared of putting effort into something, and having the outcome backfire at me. With lots of help, I was able to push through this, and although it was a really rough journey of ups and downs, I got better, and I am so thankful for everyone who helped. Its worth it.

TylerOxley2000

I think it's completely normal to not want to get any better sometimes when you are better you make things worse because it doesn't feel right

PeacockBlue

Yes, yes it is normal. It's a part of yourself procrastinating on the future, liking or rather being comfortable with where things are in the present and fearing what may come if too much changes in the future. You've become adjusted to who you are as a person right now, you know how to face your current problems and getting better means these problems will be replaced by new ones you know nothing about. Because of course, there will always be some problem. You're also happy with the empathy you can feel right now, when you aren't better and you're afraid of who you might become if you did get better. It's like the fear of failing, just rather the fear of success. You're afraid that if you wish to get better then it might never even happen. So no expectations means no disappointment. You're happy with having an excuse to be cared and comforted for. For not doing your best at work because you aren't at your best. So yes, not wanting to get better can sometimes also be half the reason why aren't getting better

pinksunset

Yes, it's very common. If you've been living a certain way for a significant amount of time it's easy to get comfortable living that way, no matter whether it is good or bad for you. Alot of behaviours are maladaptive so become difficult to change, we get used to certain things and getting better can seem scary or not worth it because our way of thinking has, in a sense, adapted to the unhealthy ways we've been living.

AnArtLover

It is very normal. Sometimes it seems not getting better is easier, or that you've been sad (or any other emotion) for too long. I've personally felt this way too. Talking to people who've felt the same way can help you realize you are not alone.

AngelFace97

Although it is sad, I do believe that it is normal, in some ways, not to want to get better. The main reason for this is when things have been so bad/negative for so long, we feel that it is a normal part of life and have grown accustomed to it. We forget that things may change for the better one day and don't realise this ourselves.

loveistheanswer11

The idea of change often feels frightening, especially when change will require work that feels invasive and requires new habits, vulnerability and discipline. "Getting better" requires looking deeply at what is working and what is not for us. It's definately normal to experience the desire to avoid the process of transformation. It's unknown but when someone chooses the path of progress and the momentum and changes start to take form it becomes exciting and empowering.

Anonymous

Yes, it's a pattern in life. You want to get better , because you can. it is very normal we all do it.

Anonymous

At some point it is, and iI think it's because you think you deserve it. You want to feel like very badly about yourself, and maybe you just need someone to help you throughout the way. You feel like you WON'T get better. At some point you want others to feel bad for you, because no one has ever been sympathetic with you and maybe others have told you to "just get over it." And that's only human to want others to understand you. Although they don't understand that you can't just get over it. But I also think, that you will reach the point where you're tired of not getting better.

ListeningBunny22

It depends on what circumstance though. So which is yours? Try opening up and see what helps. Always happy to help.

Atlantismaybe

Yes. Sometimes when we get so used in sleeping through chaos, we end up sleeping with it, underneath its arms because even it hurts, it's better than nothing.

angelicaxx

Some people feel that and I did too. I don't know why but I did. But when you do get better, it's so much.... better! I promise you, you'll be glad you did :)

gentlefriend

As we are humans, we sometimes don't want to get better. This however is a concern as it points to the symptoms of depression. It can help to make that initial leap into counselling to get support for this issue.

FizzyLemonade

It's normal that you may feel dependant on you condition, as you might not remember what it feels like without it. It's normal to be scared of what life will be like when you're better, but it's important to remember that you won't have to feel so bad any more

Anonymous

It is normal to resist any change in Status Quo because change is often scary and brings with it a lot of unknowns. If you know that getting better will require or cause big changes in your lifestyle, relationships, and live in general, then it makes sense that you might not want to get better. In the end, it is up to to to weigh the pros and cons of your situation. Just remember that treatment is available to you if and when you decide you're ready.

JadeLC

Honestly, yes! I think that sometimes we find comfort in truly feeling out our negative emotions. There's a reason why a good cry after a trying time really helps to alleviate the negative aspects we may endure. There are times when I wallow in my sadness or even at times, my depression. In those states, I sometimes purposefully reject help or support from friends or family because I'm simply not ready. It takes time to mentally and even physically endure, process and reflect on a heavy emotional experience. So don't feel bad or "abnormal" - feel out your sadness, loneliness, etc...! But just know that there will come a time when you'll need to really push yourself to seek help. I think from time to time it's okay to be in darkness, so long as you don't settle within it.

exquisiteLion14

Please elaborate. As in physically better from an illness, or trying not to be a better person each day?

Anonymous

I believe at certain times you get emotionally drained or exhausted where trying seems pointless. This is very normal but try to keep in mind that you aren't alone and the fight is well worth it.

ColdNoise

I don't know whether I can say it's normal, but I can certainly say I have experienced this. It's very easy to fall into a trap where, being depressed is all you can really remember. And it can be at this point that you you begin to normalise it, this is what you are used to, you don't know how to feel any different hence being depressed almost feels comfortable, and the thought of being happy becomes strange and anxiety-inducing. All I can say is we can't be afraid to change, if that change is only for the better.

WarriorDreams

I am no one that has the power to make the decision of what ultimately is normal or is not normal. Have I heard of someone saying they don't want to get better? Personally, I have not.

anonymous9irl

Strangely yes it can be quite common. It can be seen as a sign of self sabotage for a few reasons. However some people are unsure if they want to get better because they've spent so long with their illness of some kind that they don't feel like they know who they are without it, and that can be a scary thought. It can be easy to make your illness define your sense of self, and the thought of not having that plays on some people's minds to the point where they doubt if they even want to get better

LittleLemon96

We can't say that it is normal, but there is a type of people called masochist, they feel that there is something beautiful or plesering about being hurt, sometimes it makes you feel less pain if you are one of them but sometimes it makes you stick to the pain which is not a good thing..

Anonymous

Sometimes it may feel like its better not to want to be better because you are afraid of change. if you can conquer that youll be fine.

Recent Answers
Anonymous

Sometimes, the sorrows we live with become such a huge part of us that it becomes our identity of who we are. Maybe you may have other reason to feel that way, but it is up to you about what you feel is normal or not.

Anonymous

Absolutely. Depression weighs you down with this hopeless feeling, and getting better seems like it might only make things worse. Oftentimes, the knowledge that getting better will involve sorting through and acknowledging these upsetting feelings scares us, because then everything is real. The journey may seem daunting, but the end result is so worth it.

Anonymous

Yes, it is. Specially when you have felt bad for a long time. You get used to feeling down and can get scared of feeling better/differently because it's like you have forgotten how it feels like. You can be scared of not knowing how to handle it. So continuing to feel bad starts to seem like the better option, even though it isn't.

VanessaGraceStory

Well it can be, if people are pushing you to get better then that can be a reason why you wouldn't want to as well. If that's not the reason then it may be you don't see it's the right time. Getting better starts within yourself, only you can help yourself more than anyone else and why you may ask? because you know yourself best.

Anonymous

Sadness can be addicting. It drives away other nuanced emotions, takes away the desire to change or do better, and if it is a sadness that has been endured for a long time it can almost become a sense of self. While it isn't good, it is something that happens. But it still needs to be overcome.

Anonymous

Yes, it's normal. Sometimes when a person has been suffering for so long, their suffering becomes a part of them. That suffering is all that that person knows - in fact sometimes they think that they have become their disease. The suffering has gone on for so long that the person doesn't even know who they would be without it. It's understandable to fear getting better.

Anonymous

This kind of state is when serious of unfortunate events happened in a persons life, he starts to think it is okay not to get better whenever I tries, something bad happens. This state of mind restricts change, of course positive. This stickness to one place will eventually leave him at the end of the race of success and he'll eventually choose to suicide. So it's not normal, we should keep on trying to get better from our what we were nano seconds and we'll fine us in the most successful persons ever.

Ephie

Yes, I think it is. Sometimes when you've felt a certain way for so long it's easy to not want things to change. You're used to a routine and your comfortable even. Getting better means that you'll have to face that thing you've been putting off and that will be hard. Change is a big thing, especially if you've felt the same way for so long. It's bound to be scary but you will eventually be able to find the courage.

TheRedSelkie

When you have been unwell for a while, sometimes you grow accustomed to it and it becomes normal for them. Even if they do not wish to get better, it should still be encouraged. Not forced.

Anonymous

It is absolutely normal. Wanting to get better requires a big change in a persons life. Sometimes you cannot be ready for a big change and you need time to digest the thought of changing. When you have been ill for a while the thought of change can feel too uncomfortable and far out of reach. In those kind of situations it is normal not to want to get better.

Anonymous

Sometimes. Having experienced this feeling, sometimes we do feel that we want to be sad, that we want to be hurt, that we want to feel a little pain. Sometimes I think we feel we want to be hurt to have attention, to get that feeling of love and comfort again in your life. Sometimes, I personally believe that feeling the emotion of not wanting to get better actually may he good. Because in a way, feeling that mean you feel something, rather than just being empty, hollow, and untouched. Its what makes you human in some sense. It'll be alright, to whoever is reading this. Just remember, stars can't shine without the darkness. ^_^

tab20z

It can be common. When your life has been defined by your struggle with a difficulty (whether it be mental illness such as depression, bipolar, etc. or a physical illness) it can begin to become "comfortable". Not comfortable in the sense that there is no pain, but you are familiar with the pain, and know it well. As such, "getting well" may involve new pain, and this time (with the illness or condition managed) there is no one to blame but yourself. These are normal thoughts that are common in many people, often people who have been dealing with pain for a long time. They need to be fought, and it is hard, but its part of recovery. Recovery is not a straight upward trajectory, its instead going up and down many times before you reach the goal.

Freedangel

Sometimes it certainly seems easier to stay down instead of getting back up. This question is a bit vague, but I'm speculating that it might pertain to depression. I understand it can be exhausting fighting it all. It seems like a spiral that just keeps going down. Unfortunately, depression can act as a blinder to all that's good in the world. Suddenly our friends fade away and are dismissed as merely tolerating us or secretly despising us. Family may suddenly seem to not care at all or never be capable of understanding. It's entirely normal to want to just give up because fighting depression can seem like a worthless battle. But it's hard to see the sun when you've dug your own grave. It's hard to see any good when you're just looking at the bad. With that in mind, it's definitely normal to not want to get better. But you can't let it stop you.

crispNight40

Sadness is very sad, of course, but it is also very comfortable. There is a certain appeal to wrapping yourself in your depression or mania or whatever else because it is such an ever-present companion. The important thing to realize is that you aren't truly comfortable in whatever state you are in, and you do want to "get better" very much. What you are actually comfortable with is the side effects of whatever state you are in, whether it is being out and about, not worrying about consequences, or being reflective and introspective. Find a way to nuture the healthy aspects of yourself apart from whatever self destructive elements. If you are alone and depressed, try enjoying a book or reflecting on the positive things in your life. If you can't stop abusing a substance, try having fun in other ways. Getting better doesn't mean your life is over, it just means you need to find new ways to enjoy it. In the long run, you'll get even more out of life once you realize this.

Anonymous
May 3rd, 2017 2:15am

It's very normal. I think it can be really frustrating for others to hear that but it is very understandable. Sometimes we become complacent with where we're at and it can be difficult to change, and that can be for a variety of reasons.

Anonymous

No, it isn't normal to not want to get better. It is a sign that you have given up on getting better. Imagine a cancer patient, just wanting to die rather than live and do all the things that are wonderful. All those will be gone just because we got affected by a disease (not wanting to get better). It's like giving up on something you truly have passion for, it's so unsightly to see, seeing the one you love die. It's better to be better than to die with a plague that changed your life.

HattieMae

When we have continuelly felt bad, for an extended amount of time, that sadness and misery feels normal to us. We recognize it, and it's a normal type of suffering. Sometimes when we are faced with the choice of facing the unknown in order to recover, we will crawl back towards our pain becuase we wlready know what it's like to suffer. If we are given the choice between an unknown benefit, and a familiar pain, many of us will take our pain and hold it close for comfort. This tendency is why it's hard for people to choose recovery after experiencing a chronic mental illness.

beautifulPeace50

At some point we can be there, when we cant see anything but grey and black. When we retreat for a while i can say its normal, but if we get stuck to that feeling when we really dont want to get better then it is not.

Islah

Well, firstly, 'normal' is a state of mind... I would say that a lot of people don't want to get better. I was like that, once. My depression felt very comfortable for me, as hurtful as it was. Often times people stay in situations that aren't good for them, simply because it's comfortable. I didn't want to be uncomfortable. I was too tired to challenge myself and get better. But sometimes it's a really good feeling to get uncomfortable... Don't feel bad about wanting to be comfortable. After all, you're only human. You're only doing the very best you can. Pushing yourself to do something you aren't ready for is only counter productive... Best of luck, friend! You are so very strong!

esceflora

Totally. You're probably stuck in a situation, that may be uncomfortable for you, but you're used to it and you're afraid of changing anything, experiencing something new. We all are. But sometimes it's worth to step out of your comfort zone and see what else life has to offer.

hopefulPower94

In my experience it is normal to not want to get better. Our mental health conditions and unhealthy behaviors serve a purpose. They are there for a reason, and trying to get better is really hard. It is a big step. Often our illnesses can become tied to our identity, especially if we have been struggling for a long time. You are not alone in feeling like this.

TranquilityQueen

Yes it is. Sometimes, we get so wrapped up in the distorted beliefs that come along with a mental health problem that it feels comfortable, and the idea of recovery is scary, because it severs us from our "sick" identity, which has sometimes been a part of us for a very long time.

CK927

It is, we all feel that at one point in our lives. You may be content about how things are right now, or in denial about how far reserved you've become. But at the end of the day it's your journey, you will work up the will to change when you're ready for the next chapter in your life.

problematicagender
March 23rd, 2017 11:53pm

For some people, yes. They believe that this will go on forever, so they just begin to want it to go on forever. Or maybe they benefit from it, and want it to last longer.

Anonymous

When I am experience a major depressive episode, I don't want to get better. I sink into the dark feeling and just let the world wash over me. Sometimes it takes support from others to bring me up to the point where I want to get better for myself, but I think it is a normal experience to just give over to the problem.

Anonymous

I think that it's normal to not want to get better sometimes, it's a process to go through recovery and a lot of people go through the 'I want to get better' and 'I don't want to get better' processes of any illness.

RachelWantsToMakeADifference

Of course it is! The thing about mental illness is that its insidious, and sneaky. My various illnesses told me that that's how I was gonna feel forever, and I believed it. Sometimes you get to used to feeling one way that it becomes comfortable, safe even. You know what to expect and its scary to imagine being any other way, which will cause you to not want to get better. Or not feeling worthy of getting better, or feeling as if your illness is your personality and you dont know who you'd be without it, those are both very common feelings as well; but what needs to be remembered is thats just the manipulative way the disorder can keep you in its grasp, keep you sick. You are not your disorders, you are so much more, and you are worthy of a full happy life.

Anonymous

I personally think that we as human being, perceives what is normal being mentally and physically healthy. So refusing to get better when one is ill is not normal in this case. However, there is always a reason behind this line of thinking so that has to be addressed first and foremost.

Anonymous

Humans are creatures of custom. We get used to the way things are, and we can get very comfortable in a situation...even if it's a bad one. Sometimes it's hard to see beyond the moment, to imagine the future. And it can seem like the situation we have, with all of its challenges, is safer and easier than what might come if things change. BUT...if you're suffering, then you need to keep reminding yourself that you can have a better life. You can feel better. You can be better. It's okay to appreciate what we have, but we should never let that hold us back from improvement. Some day, when you're feeling better, you're going to be so grateful that you made the needed changes, that you took the risk and let yourself improve. All the best with your journey...there are bright things ahead! Trust yourself, and trust happiness.

greynarwhal

My answer is a resounding yes. Whatever struggles we face are there for a reason. They become a part of our very nature and character. They fill a need in our lives. They also really negatively impact our lives. But as we decide to overcome these problems, there is often still a part of us that doesn't want them gone, because it's like getting rid of a dirty security blanket. It's unpleasant, but it's familiar. I've had a very difficult time overcoming my challenges, and I have felt almost like I've grieved once they are gone. By ultimately my life is so much better without those demons in it.